Chapter 3 - Training

The Game; The Chaser

 

Sunggyu woke up abruptly upon hearing three loud thuds on his door. Shocked, he got out form bed and looked through the peep hole of the door. He sighed when he saw his trainer.

            ‘Sehun, oh god, you scared the hell out of me,’ he said through the door.

            He saw Sehun chuckle a little. ‘Sorry Sunggyu-sshi. I’m just here to tell you that assembly time is in thirty minutes. So you should get ready fast.’

            Sunggyu nodded. ‘Alright, thanks.’

            He left the door and headed to the bathroom. It didn’t surprise him that the bathroom was 100% clean and well furnished. His whole room was already like that. After taking of his clothes, he went into the hot burning water. He didn’t care about his skin burning and turning red. He wanted to relax himself. He felt too tense.

            His hands played with his wet hair as he looked up at the shower cap, letting the water splash onto his milky skin. The whole night, he couldn’t sleep. His mind kept running. He thought about yesterday. He kept thinking about that guy. That guy; the guy with black silky hair, the guy with a fantastic collarbone, the guy that stared at him with those eyes.

            Sunggyu knew the guy hated him. But he didn’t know why. Yesterday, the guy stared at him with eyes full of hatred and he wouldn’t stop. Sunggyu replayed the events through his head and he was sure he had never seen that guy before, or even did anything to harm him.

            Some part of Sunggyu wanted to confront him and ask what his problem was, but the other part felt nervous and shy. He didn’t understand that part though. Sunggyu knew he was definitely older than him by a year or two. But...Sunggyu? Scared to confront a younger boy? That’s not like him.

            Sunggyu sighed heavily. He grabbed his towel from the railing and went to change to his clothes.

            ‘Well Sunggyu, it’s only the second day and you have an enemy. Great. So much for starting anew.’ He said to himself.

~~~

            Sungyeol heard footsteps coming his way. He still continued meditating above the ground. He was the earliest to reach the assembly area. Well, firstly he was scared to be late and that he needed some peace before training started.

            Before the figure could lay a hand on him, Sungyeol grabbed his hand and spoke.

            ‘Hmm, Kris-sshi. Didn’t I tell you not to disturb me while I’m meditating? It’s rude.’

            Sungyeol opened his eyes and immediately sat in the ground. He let go of Kris’ hand.

            ‘Sorry Sungyeol-sshi but everyone has assembled already,’ he step back and joined the rest of the trainers that were lined up in front.

            Sungyeol pushed himself up with just a wave of his hand from the ground. He walked to the line where all the participants were. There were about twenty participants.

            Sungyeol went to the edge of the line. He looked over to his left and saw a guy about a head shorter than him. His brown hair covered his whole right eye. His big eyes and thick lips made his face look like a girl but he still looked handsome. His body was really thin and slender, like a girl’s. He looked about two years younger than him.

            The pretty boy turned to face Sungyeol and smiled. Sungyeol smiled back; relieved he wasn’t like the other participants he had met – more specifically, the guy that was rude to him yesterday.

            ‘Hi, I’m Sungjong.’ Sungjong extended his hand.

            Sungyeol shook his hand. ‘Sungyeol. Nice to meet you.’

            ‘Same here.’ The pretty boy replied.

            Then he heard feet scurrying beside him. He saw a guy, dressed in all black bowing to the trainers before saying sorry. He was slightly taller than Sunjong but he was still shorter than Sungyeol. From the side, he had great features. His eyes, his lips, his nose, his cheekbones; perfect. Then Sungyeol realised who it was.

            ‘You again! Urghh go stand somewhere else, I’m scared you can’t see.’ Sungyeol teased.

            Yesterday, he knew he heard the guy apologising but just for fun he decided to play a little.

            The guy faced him, his face expressionless. He could see the guy gritting his teeth. ‘Ya! I said I was sorry and I knew you heard it. Don’t you deny it. Fine then if you want me to move.’

            Sungyeol was a little surprised at his reaction. He didn’t know he was that sensitive. ‘Wait, don’t,’ Sungyeol grabbed the guy’s wrist.

            ‘Sorry, I didn’t mean to. It’s just me being stupid. I just like teasing people. Sorry.’

            The guy stared at Sungyeol. Sungyeol couldn’t read his face. Suddenly he felt a burning feeling on his hand.

‘Ouch.’ Sungyeol screamed before rubbing his hand. ‘Fire bender,’ he mumbled soft enough that the guy didn’t hear.

The guy’s expression relaxed a little and he noticed a smirk on his lips.

‘Now were even.’ The guy chuckled before standing back in line beside Sungyeol.

After a minute of awkward silence and rubbing his ‘burnt’ hand, Sungyeol decided to speak.

            ‘So umm, let’s just start over,’ Sungyeol extended a hand. ‘Sungyeol.’

            The guy looked at the hand but didn’t bother to shake it. ‘Myungsoo.’ He managed to mumble.

~~~

            Myungsoo hated making new friends. He liked being quiet and he would stay that way, especially to this...Sungyeol.

            He sighed to himself. He was scared of talking because he didn’t want anyone to know. Once he starts talking, all his secrets would be spilled out and then; chaos.

            He looked over to Sungyeol who was practicing with his blond haired trainer.

            Sungyeol was on both legs and his hands were out in front of him. The trainer seemed to be telling him about a new technique. Sungyeol nodded then tried the movement his trainer gave.

            A second later, he was flown to the wall behind him. He fell onto the floor.

            Myungsoo tried not to laugh but the sight was hilarious. Sungyeol got up and told his trainer he was alright. The trainer left, probably bringing some ice. Myungsoo laughed even harder when he saw Sungyeol grabbing his back in pain.

            Myungsoo knew it was bad to laugh at things like that but, you had to admit, it was really funny.

            Then he froze.

            His eyes met with Sungyeol’s who accidentally turned to face him. Sungyeol’s cheeks turned a light shade of pink as he stared on the floor, embarrassed. Myungsoo too looked away.

            ‘Snap out of it, Myungsoo. Why were you staring at him? Urgh, stop it!’ Myungsoo mumbled under his breath. He got up from his seat before returning to his training with Kai.

            His mind kept replaying the incident when their eyes met and for the longest of time, a smile appeared on his face.

~~~

            Hoya placed the weights back to its original position before walking back to his trainer for his progress.

            ‘Wow, Hoya. I’ve never seen anyone do carry that many weights at once, and even lifting it fifty times. I’m really, really impressed,’ Baekhyun rubbed his chin, slightly surprised.

            ‘Thanks. I lift weights whenever I can back home,’ Hoya replied, embarrassed Baekhyun’s compliment.

            ‘Well, now that were done with warm ups and the basic stuff, let’s see you’re bending.’

            From the corner of his eye, Hoya saw a familiar blue haired guy staring at him. He tried to avoid his gaze but the guy stared at Hoya as if he was staring at his very soul. Hoya looked away realising it was the same guy from yesterday. His eyes looked so sharp. But something about those eagle eyes puzzled him.

            ‘Hoya! C’mon, we don’t have all day!’ He heard Baekhyun’s voice from a distance, disrupting his thoughts.

            Hoya bowed apologetically before turning to the dummy placed in front of him. He lifted the biggest rock that Baekhyun had brought in for him. He twisted his right hand and the big rock broke into small pebbles. It may look harmless but Hoya had something different in mind.

            With all his might, he pushed the pebbles right to the dummy. Baekhyun’s mouth opened slightly at the result. The two ran over to the dummy that was on the ground.

            The dummy had countless number of holes on both the head and the body. For practically each hole, you could see through it. Baekhyun clapped, as if Hoya had first in the Olympics. Hoya looked around but the blue haired guy was not to be found.

            ‘Wait, what are you looking for Hoya? Stop it. Aishh,’ he thought to himself.

            ‘Hoya! That was great! That was a really nice move. Imagine if this dummy was a person, wow you would have won already,’ Baekhyun patted Hoya on the back then placing the dummy back up, ‘but I want to show you something better.’

            With that, Hoya took a step back. Baekhyun grabbed another rock and did the same thing like Hoya did. It broke into small pebbles before it was lunged straight for the same dummy. Like lightning, Hoya didn’t know what happened. It was too fast. All he knew was that afterwards, the dummy splitted into different parts and it fell onto the ground.

            Hoya’s eyes grew bigger and his mouth was hung open. He heard Baekhyun laughing at his expression.

            ‘You should have seen you’re face! But don’t worry. It’s not that difficult, c’mon I’ll teach you.’ Baekhyun wrapped his left       arm around Hoya’s neck before leading him to another station.

            Hoya searched the entire room for the mysterious blue haired guy, but again, he was nowhere to be found.

~~~

            Dongwoo searched and searched but the purple boy was not in sight.

            ‘Aishh Dongwoo, why are you looking for him?’ Yeah, why was Dongwoo looking for him?   

            Dongwoo also didn’t have a clue. But some part of him was yearning for the sight of the guy.

            He sighed in disappointment. He never liked purple. But ever since he laid eyes on that guy, the liking somehow           changed.

            ‘Is it more than just a liking in colour?’ That question kept spearing in his mind.

~~~