Chocolate Making on Valentine's Day Eve

Who Cares About Valentine's Day?!

A/N: this is the whole first chapter ^^ enjoy~ (and i feel bad that i just started posting this ON Valentine's Day...sorry xD)

***

What is so good about Valentines day? Why does everyone always make such a big deal out of it?! So it’s a season for lovers. Who the hell gives a damn?!

Hyejae walked down the snowy streets of Seoul and used her strong eyes to burn down all the pink love hearts that were on every single window of stores she went by. She really wishes she could burn down the hearts.

“-so good about Valentines Day?!” Hyejae heard a man in front of her speak to his friend and she smiled. She was glad that she wasn’t the only one thinking that Valentines Day ! She picked up her ears and turned the volume down on her iPod.

“Hyung, it’s a season for lovers and-“

“You can say that because you’re about to ask someone out! What about others who are single?! Gosh, Saint Valentine obviously didn’t think about the people who were single when he or she invented Valentines Day!”

“Hyung…” The person said, trying to calm down his friend.

“Oh, my gosh, why am I even here?! I feel like you’re just rubbing it in my face that you’re going to be getting a Valentine! Just go and get the present yourself!” The man turned around and began to walk towards Hyejae. She pretended to be listening to her iPod and when the boy was closing up on her, she looked at the features of his face and thought that he was quite cute. He had very tan skin with soft looking hair and his eyes were dark and dangerous; just like the way Hyejae liked it.

She must’ve been caught with staring at him because he looked at her and said with a smirk,

“What are you looking at?” She widened her eyes as he walked past her saying that. A few seconds later, Hyejae’s brain recovered from the shock. She turned around and began power walking towards him, pulling her earphones from her ears harshly.

When she was close enough to him, she shouted.

“Who the hell do you think you are?!” The boy stopped walking and then turned around, the smirk he just had before was on his face again. He put his hands on his chest and looked at her.

“Who the hell are you?” He asked her and she just stared at him. Suddenly, the boy that was with him was standing in front of her with an apologetic smile. He bowed down at Hyejae and then said,

“Bianhamnida! My friend here isn’t feeling well today so I apologise if he said anything to you that offended you! Cheonmal Choesonghamnida!”

She looked at his friend and decided to just forget about it because he was apologising for him.

“Don’t worry then. I have to get going because I have to meet up with my friend. Good bye.” Hyejae turned around and walked away but then she heard the boy’s friend call out,

“Kamsahamnida!” Hyejae smiled and waved but didn’t turn around. At least one of them had good manners.

*

Hyejae turned to Miyoung and gave her a half hearted smile as she was in her kitchen, following the 5 or more recipes that was next to her.

Hyejae sat in front of Miyoung on one of her high-chairs and nibbled on a piece of Dairy chocolate. Miyoung looked at the recipe and then at what she had done in front of her. She sighed and then tipped out the contents into the garbage bin for the 10th time since she had started (which was an hour and a half ago!).

She put both her hands on the counter and stared down at the recipe, a determined gaze. Hyejae sighed for the 10th time again and her lips and then said,

“Why don’t you just give up?” Miyoung looked up at me with a hard glare.

“No. I want to tell Dongwoon that I love him and I only have one day in a whole year! Just because you don’t have another boy to confess your undying love to, it doesn’t mean other people can’t take advantage of Valentine’s Day!”

Hyejae didn’t say anything as she though back to the boy she had just met before she had come over to Miyoung’s place.

“Can you help me? Please?” Miyoung suddenly said, both her hands put together and her eyes turned into looking like a puppy. Hyejae stood up quickly and began to back away, both of her hands in front of her and her head shaking.

“No. No. Way. Do NOT drag me into this! Again!” I added as she was about to protest.

“I hate Valentine’s Day and you know that the best! I hate EVERYTHING to do with it!” Miyoung gave her a knowing smile as she walked out from behind the counter.

“I know, I know! But…you’re my best friend so you should help me right? You wouldn’t want your best friend to be single all her life right?”

Hyejae shook her head. She always used the same argument year after year, it got tiring after hearing it so consecutively. Miyoung put both hands together and pouted.

“Erugh! Why me?!” Hyejae said as she rolled up her sleeves, giving in. She walked behind the counter. Miyoung jumped up and down while clapping. She ran behind the counter and gave Hyejae a hug from behind.

“I knew you we’re my best friend!”

“I wish not…” Hyejae muttered and just like that, Miyoung and Hyejae began to make the chocolate – together just like for the past 10 years since they’ve known each other.

*

“Their so cute!”

Miyoung said as she held out her box of chocolates that were decorated elaborately by no other than the food decorator herself, Hyejae. Hyejae sighed and went to the sink to wash her hands. She turned and was about to spray out some hand soap from the special hand soap holder when she spotted her own chocolates, sitting on the counter, untouched.

Another year with chocolates that she couldn’t give to anyone. Hyejae has had her fair share of boyfriends in her 26 years of existence but every time Valentine’s Day came by, she would always have no one to share it with. Every year. No exceptions.

She shook her head and forced herself not to cry.

She told everyone that she hated Valentine’s Day but deep inside, she loved and hated Valentine’s Day. She loved it how it was a special day for couples but she hated it how she was always alone on those days.

She wanted a boy to confess his undying love to her. But, no guy ever came her way. She was tired of the one making the first move. She was always the one to be hurt when she started the whole relationship, she didn’t want it anymore. She swore herself off loving another and be single her whole life.

“I’m going to text Dongwoon and tell him to meet up with me tomorrow!” Miyoung said, putting her chocolate in the fridge and then skipping into her living room. Hyejae walked slowly to her warm chocolates and picked on of them up.

She put one in and bit down to it. She liked her chocolate bitter. She never knew why. She turned around and she put her lower back against the edge of the counter and unknowingly, a tear fell out of her eyes. She wiped it away roughly and whispered to herself,

“I don’t need a man in my life.”

*

Junhyung dropped onto his couch and looked away when Dongwoon sat down to his left.

“Hyung, seriously, you’ve got to stop being so grouchy every time Valentine’s Day! It’s not good for you! You’re 28 this year, you should think about being in a relation-“

“No!” Junhyung shouted out and turned to Dongwoon, his gaze hard.

“You of all people should know what happened the last time I asked a girl out!” Junhyung stood up and literally ran to his room, slamming the door so loud that the whole apartment shuddered slightly. Dongwoon sighed and leaned his back on the couch and tightened his grip on the present he had gotten Miyoung.

“How could I forget…”

--

“Oh, my Gosh! No way! Junhyung asked you out?!” Dongwoon frowned as he was walking towards the bathroom. He leaned his back against the wall so that he couldn’t be found out that he was listening into their conversation.

“You’re so damn lucky Yoon!” Yoon, the girl that Junhyung asked out, laughed.

“No, I’m not lucky.”

“Oh come on! Stop being so modest!” The three girls laughed.

“What are you going to do now? Are you going to give up his younger brother and go out with Junhyung?”

“No way! You shouldn’t give up on his younger brother! His younger brother is SO much cuter and plus, his younger brother doesn’t have such big eye bags under his eyes!” The three girls laughed and Dongwoon’s eyes widened.

“Nah, I’m going to play with him for a bit and then I’m going to dump him. It’s Valentine’s Day soon right? I’m just going to dump him then. That gives him 2 weeks.” Yoon laughed and Dongwoon ran off, not wanting to listen to anymore. He has to go tell Junhyung hyung!

He spotted him by himself, a small smile on his lips. Dongwoon didn’t want to hurt him but he had the right to know.

He put his hand on Junhyung’s shoulder and Junhyung turned around to face him with a smile.

“What’s up Dongwoon?” Dongwoon sat down next to Junhyung and said,

“Hyung, listen, don’t get the wrong idea okay…?” Junhyung looked at him oddly and then nodded hesitantly.

“I heard…”

--

“I didn’t want to hurt you…”