New School

My Secret

Key's POV

On the 20th of February, I stood at the gate of the boarding school, my clothes-filled bag hanging from my shoulder. I sighed. 'The hole in my heart will only get bigger', I thought, and reluctantly walked up to the main building. Students were all around the place- hanging with their friends or sitting alone on a bench or under a tree. Different as they were, they all seemed to have something in common. They all looked happy.

There was a school map drilled to the wall, so I took a look at that.

"The office, the office, the office..." I kept saying to myself. Then someone tapped me on the shoulder. In shock, I spun around quickly to see a girl around my hight with shortly cut hair, smiling wide.

"Hey, you're new here, I'm guessing?" she said, sticking her hand out. I shook it nervously.

"Uh, yeah", I managed to mumble, putting my hand back behind me. I hadn't heard a voice speak to me in a very long time. Why was she talking to me? Why wasn't  she eyeing me and whispering about me behind my back, like everyone else did at my usual high school? Didn't I look strange to her?

"Well, I can show you around if you like. By the way, my name's Amber."

'Amber,' I thought, 'I like it'.

"I'm looking for the, the office. I have to get my timetable and my-" Amber cut me off.

"This way!" she said cheerfully, over the noise of the students. She started off to the left, and I followed. We passed many people on the way to the office- students, teachers, other important people. All the while I studied Amber. She had nicely cut hair and a slender body, and when she span around I noticed that her face was pretty too. In a way she reminded me of a lizard.

We arrived at a building that was separate from the rest of the school. On the door it said 'SCHOOL OFFICE'.

"Well, we're here," Amber smiled.

"Thank you," I quietly said, bowing. As I turned to enter the office, Amber called out to me.

"Hey! I didn't catch your name."

"Kibum... Kim Kibum," I stuttered, slowly turning back around.

"Key for short." I was surprised by her statement.

"No, but-" She cut me off again.

"It suits you. Anyway, visit me sometime. I usually hang out under the trees at lunch. See you Key." She put on her greatest smile.

"See you." My first day of a new school, and I had already got a friend. For me this was a huge step. The boy who was always rejected in high school, the boy who failed in everything, the boy who was destined to be a loner, was me. But, meeting Amber switched a light on inside my body. For once in a very long time, I felt happy.

The joy of this event soon faded as I began to wonder.

'But when she gets to know more about me and my past, she will soon change her mind.'