A Flash of Memory

Get One Smile, Get Another One Free

He stayed by the living room window all day staring at the light snow slowly piling up on the ground. When others around the house worriedly called out his name, he would only keep the same neutral expression continuing on staring out the window as if he was waiting for someone.  

“How long has he been sitting there?” He heard his father asked. 

“He’s been sitting there since 8 in the morning when he woke up,” his mother replied sitting down next to him and brushing his hair in between her fingers.

“Did something happen?”

“The Hwang family moved a few days ago. I think he’s upset that he doesn’t get to see Mr. Hwang’s daughter anymore,” just hearing his mother talk about her, his eyes begin to fill with tears.  “Minwoo ahh,” his mother calls out. “You haven’t eaten all day. Umma is very worried. Please honey, eat something. Umma made you some seaweed soup and afterwards we can go buy you a cake.”

He felt his lips slowly curving down into a frown and tear begging to well up in his eyes. He tried his best not to cry. He especially didn’t want to cry in front of his dad, but it was hard not to. It started off with sniffling, then little whimpers, and then whaling. He thought he failed as a man in front of his father.  He couldn’t stop crying from the moment he started. No matter how hard it was for him to breathe from his stuffy nose, he continued on as his parents quietly got closer to him holding him in their arms.

“It’s okay Minwoo. Let it all out,” his father whispers patting his back comforting him warmly.  

Like dark chocolate. It was a bittersweet afternoon. Affection was given to him by his cold hearted/tough loving father.  He went to buy his birthday cake with his mom. He got the new Nintendo that he pleaded his mom to get him when it first came out. He should have been smiling, but he kept the same neutral face.  All he wanted was Boonie and nothing else but her.   

***********

*7 years later

She woke up to the sudden jolt of the bus moving.  The road must have been really bumpy. Strangely, she felt comfortable from where she was resting. It was warm and she wanted to snuggle in closer to it. Turning her head to face away from the window that was distracting her from her sleep, her eyes suddenly became less drowsy and widened in surprise.

Her face was so close to Minwoo’s; she could feel his warm breath on her face. She wanted to squeal, she wanted to move away from him and scoot closer to the window. She attempted to do so, but suddenly, Minwoo snuggled closer to her as she tried to scoot away from him. His head was now resting on her shoulder and she could do nothing about it. She could only wait. She could only sit there staring at his face.

She stayed very still for a long time staring out the window as she listened to the soft soothing sound of Minwoo’s breathing. It’s been so long since Minwoo was this close to her. It felt so familiar. The warmth in her heart she got 7 years ago when he used to hold her in his arms. The first time she met him. His smile, everything was still the same.

Turning to look at the sleeping Prince, she smiles. She couldn’t help herself but do so. She missed him so much. The first time she saw him, she knew it was him right away, but never got so close to him as now. The two have crossed paths before, but Minwoo never recognized her. On her first day of school, she was bothered by so many people. Everyone knew she was poor. Everyone knew that the only reason she was able to go to such a prestigious school like this was because of her knowledge and they took that as a chance to make fun of her; not only as “Miss. Poverty” but as a nerd too. She couldn’t face Minwoo then. She couldn’t tell him that Miss. Poverty was her. She was ashamed to face him. She was too scared that he would hate her, but he never really did. He was kind, and warm to her. He was still the same Minwoo she met when she was 5 and played with until she was 8. But that kind warmth he gives to her isn’t the one he gives to Boonie, but to the girl he pities. She didn’t want to get that kindness from him anymore.

She was dying to tell him, but one day she realized that she could not tell him who she was. What if his popularity goes downhill because of her? What if his happiness dies? She could not do it. She could not allow herself to tell him. She can’t. She must sacrifice her existence to make him happy. She must be the friendly student who watches him from a far.

Tightening her hand into a fist she tried hard not to cry. She tried hard not to wake up Minwoo. She tried hard to be the anonymous person he sees. 

****** **

As the sun rises up again, the students began so too. She was still wide awake staring out at the window while Minwoo still stayed peacefully rested on her small shoulder. Girls look at her with fierce jealously in their eyes while boys scoffed and began calling her unpleasant names that she did not want to hear. Minwoo woke up too and awkwardly scooted away from her when he realized what he had done.

And hour left of an awkward atmosphere.

*********

They were finally here. The bus had finally screeched to a stop as students excitingly shout with relief that the 2 day long road trip had ended after what felt like eternity. The teacher takes roll and makes sure all of the students were still in the bus before heading out. The bus driver instructs the students to walk out in single file line without pushing or shoving. 

It was a huge relief for her. She can finally leave the awkwardness behind. Standing up with Minwoo they both get inline and wait anxiously to step outside. Moving closer to the door, she taps on his shoulder shyly. He turns around and gives her a soft sweet smile that makes her heart flutter.

“Thank you,” she says softly dumbfounded and lost at words at his smile. He nods and pats her head before stepping down from the bus’s stairs.

“Careful, the stairs are very slippery from all the ice,” the bus driver warned as she cautiously walks down the steps. Her slow steps were very successful.

By the last one of the classmates decided it would be hilarious if she placed her foot in front of the stairs. As if she knew it was going to happen she gave out a loud shriek before she even tripped. She felt a jolt of exhilaration and a mini heart attack go off inside of her.

Her eyes were glued shut terrified from fear. She hated the feeling of falling. It scared her. It made her feel as if she was falling for eternity, but strangely, this time it was quick. It was quick because she felt someone’s arms enveloped her up off her feet.

People gasped in shock as her eyes are still kept shut and hidden.

“Gwenchana?” Minwoo asked still holding her in his arms. She felt a sudden familiarity with this event that was happening. Time seemed to slow down. She opened her eyes and looked into his eyes dangerously for a long time.

*“Oppa, it hurts. I’m scared. I don’t like blood,” she whimpered as he pulled her arm around his shoulder and carried her in his arms.  Immediately she stopped crying and dug her head into his chest.

“I’m so sorry,” he apologized holding her closer to him. “I’m so sorry………”

 “Are you okay?” Minwoo asks again making her mind flicker back into the present time. She jumped out of his arms immediately.   

“Oh my god, what the hell is Miss. Poverty doing?” Some jealous girls whispered.  

“Sorry,” she murmurs lowering her head and covering her face with her hair.


Hello~! Did you miss me? I've been really busy lately becuase of school so I apologize fot the long wait. Have you've seen the new poster I created? A bit better right? xDD I'm beginning to improve in my photoshop skills~! Hahahhaaha 

 

ADVERTISING TIME(Plese read some of my other stories if you ever have the time xDDD): Just click on the picks and you will be lead to the story.