Loosing Grip

Get One Smile, Get Another One Free

 

7 years ago

It felt good on her skin. It was warm, loving, and it brightened her world. It was the sun.

Finally after countless days of the cold, harsh winters, the sun peaked out over the clouds and thrived defeating the darkness. The birds came out to greet the sun with their melodies, the ground was no longer covered in soft powdery snow, and flowers root can be seen trying to free itself from its long sleep.

It was as if spring has come to take over winter. It has seemed the world is once again awakening from its long nap.      

With her hair blowing in the wind, leg spread out in front of her, she felt as if she was soaring in the sky.

“HIGHER, HIGHER!” She giggled.

“I can’t push any harder,” her friend breathed heavily pushing her on the swing.

“Aww, Minwoo Oppa, pleaseeee,” she pouted.

“Oh fine,” he sighs with defeat and pushes with all his 10 year old strength. Immediately her face brightened up and her giggles were so loud that it could be heard by the whole neighborhood.

“Weeeee~ I’m flying, I’m flying,” She shouted closing her eyes ready to engulf all the sun’s love, but instead everything went dark. As if the sun was hurt and the darkness grew over it, she felt a sudden chill that suddenly tingled up her spine and felt that something terrible was about to happen. 

Still swinging in the sudden cold air, her eyes begin to feel stingy as small snowflakes pound and graze its ways pass her eyes. “Owwie,” she cried out covering her eyes unaware she was making the biggest mistake.

No hands on the chain, the swing was swinging forward at full speed and she went flying in the air. Everything seemed to be in slow motion. It seemed like she was flying in the air forever. Hair whipped in her face, hands all spread, and a scream that seemed to echo at the moment, she feared. 

Where was the sun? She asked looking up at the last rays of light before it hid behind the clouds again. Why is it cowarding away after it won such a hard battle to bring back spring? She felt hopeless. She fell like the snow pounding hard onto the ground.   

Her knees, stinging with encrusting pain, her heart broken by the sun’s leaving, and her mind frozen in time by the cold.  

 “Nooo!” Minwoo shouted out running towards her. “Are you okay?” He asked pulling her up.

“Oppa, it hurts. I’m scared. I don’t like blood,” she whimpered as he pulled her arm around his shoulder and carried her in his arms.  Immediately she stopped crying and dug her head into his chest.

“I’m so sorry,” he apologized holding her closer to him. “I’m so sorry………”

“Boonie,  BOONIE!!” A girl called out waving frantically running towards the two kids.

“Unnie?” The girl looked up with a questioned look at her sister.

“Hurry, hurry, Umma is in the Hospital, we have to go, WE HAVE TO GO,” she shouted and immediately the girl jumps out of the boys arms and both sisters ran off leaving him behind.

*A Week Later

A little girl sat alone on the swing near the front of her house drawing imaginary circles into the grass with the tip of her toe. She’s been doing it for the last couple days.

It worries the boy. He tried countless times to talk to her, or cheer her up, but she doesn’t speak and avoids eye contact with him. It is not like her to be down and gloomy.  She was usually a bundle of joy. Always smiling, but these last few days, she only cries and pushes herself away from the social life and even isolates herself.

“Hey,” he says softly nudging her a little bit. Slowly, she tilts her head up and gives him a small smile before her head snaps back down again. “Were you crying,” he asked with concern after seeing her swollen red eyes.  Immediately he heard her sniffle and his heart broke. “Are you okay?”  He asked again bending down next to her.

“I want a hug,” she says softly before wrapping her stubby arms around his neck. Gladly, he took her into his arms and they stayed hugging each other for a longtime. “Thank you Oppa,” she whispered gratefully hugging him the longest she can.

“It’s time to go,” her sister called out. Slowly she unwraps her arm around him and gives him a guilty look.

“A-are you going somewhere?” The boy asks fearing what he thought was coming.

“I’m moving,” she said relentlessly. “I’m sorry.” Before he could say anything else to her, she gives him a quick peck on the cheek and runs off into a car along with her sister.

He was shocked. He held his hand on his cheek for a long time. Unable to get things clear and wasn’t able to think clearly after that kiss. He didn’t move a bit when he heard the engine of the car start.

When he was able to snap back into reality, it was too late. The car was so far away from him, he thought it was a little dot. He let his best friend slip away from him and he was never going to see her again.

*7 years later

With gentle hands, he wipes the flour off the poor girl’s face. Looking into her eyes, he thought he saw something. A shimmer in her eyes that looked familiar. Doing what his hear told him to do,

“I’m sorry to ask, but have we met before?” Her eyes widened immediately, but then that sudden familiar shimmer in her eyes disappeared.

“ I-I…” she stuttered.   

“Never mind what I said. I was just talking to myself,” he murmurs to himself. Her eyes dropped down and she didn’t stare at him anymore as if she was disappointed. “Here,” he said placing his handkerchief into her hand. She gave him a questioning look. He stood up from his spot, “You’ll need this. I’ll go now.” Before the girl could say anything, he storms out of the garden leaving her alone.

“Minwoo Oppa,” the girl murmurs sadly gripping tightly onto his handkerchief. She was afraid of letting it go. She was afraid of losing the warmth in the handkerchief that was his.



 

Now, I worked very hard to write this chapter. I felt really guilty of only having one chapter and decided to do my best to write the next one. KEKE~ ^.^       Oh Minwoo~ You spazz~