Observant

Ménage à Trois

    Kyungsoo has been and always will be an observer. Maybe it was because of the size of his eyes. It was always a running joke that his eye size meant he could see more than was humanly possible. Maybe it was true because he certainly saw how Baekhyun and Jongin looked at each other.

    "Hyung," Jongin whined, "help me with this problem."

    Kyungsoo hid behind his astronomy book and pretended to be totally engrossed in reading the chapter they would be tested on tomorrow. "Ah, sorry, I haven't gotten to that part. Why don't you ask Baekhyun?"

    "Eh?" Baekhyun asked, lifting up his head from where he had been sleeping on top of his textbook. "But Kyungsoo, I haven't read any of the—"

    "I'm busy!" Kyungsoo promptly turned back to his book and smirked to himself as Jongin sighed and scooted over his chair closer to Baekhyun.

    "How do you determine your latitude if you know the altitude of the sun at noon during the vernal equinox?"

    "Ah…um…" Baekhyun looked seriously confused, and Kyungsoo almost felt bad before Baekhyun started to babble. Despite the fact that Baekhyun obviously had no idea about what he was saying, Kyungsoo noticed that Jongin still listened as intently as if Baekhyun's word was law. He also noticed that Jongin had already solved the problem and was hiding it under another sheet of looseleaf paper.

    Grinning, Kyungsoo sat down his book and tidied up his belongings. He had observed enough today. Now, things would just have to go on their own road.


    The next week, Kyungsoo was still observing and getting more and more frustrated. No matter how close Jongin and Baekhyun seemed to get, that never passed the point between friends and more.

    "Am I cute?" Baekhyun asked jokingly, trying to bring back up his self-esteem from just failing his astronomy test.

    "You're cute!" Jongin reassured, placing his hand on Baekhyun's shoulder and lingering there for just a bit longer than would have been appropriate. Only Kyungsoo noticed, and he eagerly awaited Baekhyun to respond in some way, but Baekhyun simple smiled and patted Kyungsoo's shoulder comradely.

    "Well, I'm not the only one who failed," he said, waggling his eyebrows.

    Kyungsoo flushed and pushed Baekhyun's hand off his shoulder. He didn't want to admit that he had been too distracted observing his closest friends and betting on when they would get together to focus on astronomy. "I guess I overestimated myself," he simply mumbled, and Jongin let out a loud laugh as well before slinging one arm around Kyungsoo and the other around Baekhyun.

    "Come on you guys. It's over now. Let's go get bubble tea. I'll pay."

    "You should," Baekhyun grumbled, "seeing that you were the only one with a perfect score in the class."

    "I'm sorry I'm so awesome."

    Kyungsoo snickered as Baekhyun grabbed Jongin's head roughly and began to ruffle the younger boy's hair. Maybe right now he could just slip away and go back to his dorm, leaving Baekhyun and Jongin alone to do…well whatever they wanted to do. However, as he slowly tried to inch away, both Baekhyun and Jongin looked up at the same time.

    "Yah, Kyungsoo!"

    "Don't move another step!"

    Kyungsoo held up his hands in surrender. Bubble tea it was then.


    Maybe it's because I'm here, Kyungsoo decided one day on perhaps the sixth or seventh bubble tea date when Baekhyun and Jongin had still not even held hands. He had thought that by now they would have at least kissed. He knew that Baekhyun and his old boyfriend, Chanyeol, had moved pretty fast, and Jongin had also had his fair share of experience. Yet somehow with each other, they became bumbling preteens. It was almost too painful to observe.

    Kyungsoo winced again as Jongin "accidentally" brushed against Baekhyun's shoulder again. The other boy showed no sign that he had noticed, simply sipping at his bubble tea happily.

    "Hey, I've got go," Kyungsoo said, putting down his bubble tea and pulling out a few crisp bills from his wallet, "but you guys should stay. I have a date." He wasn't lying. He actually did have a date. After he had realized that Baekhyun and Jongin weren't going any further, he thought that he might as well disassociate for a while. Then, Baekhyun's old boyfriend had told him about this friendly new guy looking for a guide to the city, and everything just fell into place.

    Kyungsoo the watch he was wearing excitedly. Apparently, this new guy was supposed to be very attractive and very sweet. These were two things that Kyungsoo could just not resist. Maybe he would finally get a boyfriend, not that he was looking.

    "A date?" Jongin's eyes narrowed, and he glanced at Baekhyun. Kyungsoo noticed that his hand jerked toward Baekhyun's hand and then pulled back. Baekhyun, on the other hand, had no qualms about patting Jongin's cheek in a motherly fashion. However, Kyungsoo saw the way his palm lingered for more time than it should have. Oh yes. Things would definitely escalate if he left.

    "Yep, a date. Chanyeol set me up," he said happily. He predicted they would be together as soon as he got back from the date. If they actually were, Kyungsoo would definitely reward himself. Maybe he would go hang out with the Chinese exchange students he hadn't seen in such a long time. He had saw Jongin's ex-boyfriend hanging out with Luhan the other day and was pretty sure something was blossoming there as well. Two weeks. That was all it would take.

    "Where?"

    "We're meeting at the café down the street," Kyungsoo mumbled, slipping on his scarf and grinning underneath the fabric. One hour. That was all it would take for Jongin and Baekhyun to get together after he was gone, and he was never wrong, especially not after observing a couple for this long of a period of time.

    "Have fun…"

    What Kyungsoo didn't notice as he left the bubble tea shop was Baekhyun and Jongin's stormy expressions as they both shared a long, meaningful glance with each other.


    One hour later, Kyungsoo was very much ditched. He sipped cautiously at the peppermint hot chocolate in his hands and tried very hard not to cry. Had he been expecting too much? Chanyeol had emphasized how much of a sweetheart the man was. How could he have ditched Kyungsoo? Of course, there was always the horrible possibility that the man had actually entered the café and then run off after seeing Kyungsoo's face.

    The thought of that possibility brought one stray tear leaking out of the side of Kyungsoo's eye. Humiliated, he wiped it away furiously and stood up, storming out of the shop. If Baekhyun and Jongin weren't together by now, Kyungsoo swore he would scream.

    Upon reaching his dorm, he wrenched open the door and then took one step back.

    "Kyungsoo!"

    "Hyung!"

    "What happened to the room?" Kyungsoo sighed, looking around at the blankets and clothes thrown around. He had just finished cleaning it this morning too.

    "Nothing!" Jongin quickly exclaimed and appeasingly brought up his hands in a heart. He bumped at Baekhyun's hips, motioning for the older boy to make a heart as well.

    "I'm not doing that," Baekhyun hissed, and Jongin rolled his eyes before standing behind Baekhyun and forcing hte older boy to raise his hands into a heart.

    Kyungsoo observed how their hips were just a little too close to be just friends and smiled. "Oh good, so you guys have figured it out then?"

    "What?"

    "Why are you back so early anyway?" Jongin deflected.

    Kyungsoo's mood immediately turned sour again. "I was ditched."

    Both Baekhyun and Jongin snapped to attention.

    "Who's this jerk who ditched you?" Baekhyun asked heatedly. Kyungsoo observed the anger in his voice and was touched at how much his friends cared.

    "Nobody, nobody," he replied, waving his hands appeasingly.

    "We can watch a movie on Jongin's laptop," Baekhyun offered.

    "That sounds nice." Kyungsoo smiled and settled down on the soft floor while Jongin retrieved his laptop. Then he flinched as Baekhyun and Jongin settled on either side of him. Wait, this was not how it was supposed to go at all. He was pretty sure they had already acknowledged their affection with each other considering how touchy feely they were now, so why weren't they sitting with each other?

    "I've got to go to the bathroom," declared Kyungsoo, but when he got back from walking there and doing nothing but staring in the mirror for a few seconds, there was still a spot for him on the middle of the floor.

    "Hurry, Finding Nemo is starting!" Baekhyun exclaimed. Jongin patted the ground in between him and Baekhyun. Kyungsoo stared for a few more seconds and then sat down between them. He observed how Baekhyun leaned into his side and how Jongin tickled the nape of his neck with lithe fingers as the move began, and for the first time, he didn't know what to make of it.


    In fact, he didn't know what to make of anything. Baekhyun and Jongin were probably together…no more than probably, they were definitely together. He knew this from the time he had walked in on the two of them kissing in his shared dorm on Jongin on his bed.

    "Sorry," Jongin had said afterward, patting Kyungsoo on the head. "I hope we didn't scar you for life or anything."

    The smirk on his grin said otherwise, and Kyungsoo shook his head, shaking off Jongin's hand as well.

    "Don't get my sheets dirty," was all he said before hurrying to hide out in Yixing's room.

    And that was where he was now, once again hiding from Baekhyun and Jongin who just seemed to still love hanging around him even though they were a couple.

    "You can't keep on hiding here forever," Yixing remarked quietly. Kyungsoo simply groaned and snuggled deeper into the other male's blankets.

    "Why can't they go off and do couple things? Why do they always hang around me?" Kyungsoo wailed.

    "Maybe they want to."

    Yixing's suggestion only made Kyungsoo bury himself deeper in the blankets. "But that's not how relationships work!"

    "Maybe that's how their relationship works." Yixing shrugged. "Everyone is different, right?"

    "Don't try to be wiser than you actually are," Kyungsoo replied snidely and then squeaked as the door swung open and hid under the blankets.

    "Is Kyungsoo here?"

    "Sorry, Baekhyun, but he's not," Yixing said cooly, watching as Baekhyun's eyes flickered between the lump on his bed back to Yixing.

    "Uh…well if you see him, could you tell him that Jongin and I want to talk to him?"

    "Will do."

    After Baekhyun had retreated out of the room, Yixing pulled his blanket off of Kyungsoo and all but kicked the boy out of his room.

    "And don't come back until you work things out!"

    "But Yixing!" Kyungsoo whined, wincing as the door was slammed in his face. It was true that he had been hiding out at Yixing's much too often lately. Sighing, Kyungsoo trudged slowly back to his dorm, wondering what he would find waiting for him there.


    "Kyungsoo!" Baekhyun exclaimed when he entered the room. The older boy was lounging on the ground next to Jongin. One arm was loosely wrapped against Jongin's waist, and the other wrapped around Jongin's neck. The two were obviously cuddling.

    "You called?"

    Jongin lazily sat up, keeping one arm wrapped around Baekhyun's shoulders. "So you finally came out of hiding, huh? Do you and Yixing…you know…"

    Kyungsoo blinked, pursing his lips before he realized what Jongin was implying. He flushed bright red from the tips of his ears down to the ends of his toes. "N-n-no way!"

    "Do you not…swing that way?" asked Baekhyun awkwardly.

    Kyungsoo wished he was still wrapped up in Yixing's blankets, eyes flickering around the room to avoid looking at Jongin and Baekhyun. "No," he said quietly. "I do like boys. I think. I mean…they're cute."

    "So you don't have a problem with us?"

    "What? No!" Kyungsoo stared at Jongin and Baekhyun, observing their relieved faces. Oh….oh! That's what they had thought. "No, of course not you guys. The two of you are my best friends. I could never disapprove of that."

    "Good," Jongin said, sitting all the way up. "Because then that makes this much simpler."

    "Simpler, wha—"

    Kyungsoo barely had time to lean slightly backwards before Jongin grabbed his shoulders and planted a large, wet kiss on his lips. It was chaste and fast, but the meaning was definitely unmistakable. Kyungsoo stumbled back as if shocked and immediately made for the door, but then Baekhyun was grabbing at his hand and dragging the younger boy into his embrace.

    "Don't run away!" exclaimed Baekhyun fiercely, and as if it would help, he covered Kyungsoo's eyes with his long, lithe fingers and clutched the other male tightly so that he could not run away.

    Barely able to control his breathing, Kyungsoo squeezed his eyes shut. Baekhyun didn't remove his hand.

    "Hyung, you watch us, don't you?" Jongin's voice was low and soothing. His hand came up to cup Kyungsoo's cheek. Pressed closely to Baekhyun's body, he could feel the thudding of the older boy's heart against his back. It was all too stifling, too close, too unexpected. He had never predicted this.

    "You were the one who found out about my crush on Baekhyun-ah first…" continued Jongin. "You're really observant, hyung, but sometimes really blind as well."

    "We're pretty observant too," Baekhyun whispered in Kyungsoo's ear. He still kept his hand fixated over Kyungsoo's eyes, but now Kyungsoo was glad because he was sure he would lose all courage and faint if he could see Baekhyun and Jongin right now.

    "Is this why…" Kyungsoo's voice trailed off, and he swallowed. "Is this why you always asked me to hang out with you?"

    "Yes," Jongin replied firmly. Then his voice became a little more shaky and softer as he asked, "Do you…I mean…what do you think now?"

    Baekhyun's hand trembled on its position on Kyungsoo's face, and the younger male reached blindly until he found a hand—Baekhyun's judging from the length and slenderness of the fingers—and clutched tightly. His free hand then slowly peeled Baekhyun's fingers off of his eyes. He stared straight into Jongin's eyes, observing all the fears there. Fears of rejection, fears of doubt, but most of all fears of losing Kyungsoo.

    Kyungsoo reached out with his other hand and firmly patted Jongin's cheek, feeling a large smile break over his face before he said, "I think that you both are…cute…" He choked out the last word and tried to hide his face, but both Baekhyun and Jongin enveloped him in a hug before he could.

    "So…" Baekhyun began, but Kyungsoo cut him off by wrapping his arms around the older boy's waist and hugging tightly. His heart felt like it would burst. These were quite possibly his two favorite people in the world, and they understood him…at least, he hoped they did so he wouldn't have to stumble over words anymore.

    Baekhyun and Jongin both exchanged a glance and observed Kyungsoo from their positions. They observed his red cheeks, glistening eyes, and shy smile as he tried to avoid their gazes. Jongin observed Kyungsoo's small squeak as Baekhyun leaned in until his nose was against Kyungsoo's and made a kissing noise. Baekhyun observed Kyungsoo's sharp gasp when Jongin leaned down and nuzzled the back of the shorter boy's neck.

    "So cute! I knew you would say yes!" Baekhyun squealed, squishing Kyungsoo closer in his embrace.

    "Hey! This was my idea!" exclaimed Jongin, pulling Kyungsoo closer to him.

    "No! I definitely remember telling you this last night!"

    "All I remember from last night is you —"

    "Don't talk about that in front of Kyungsoo-yah!"

    "Aigoo, really, you're such a prude sometimes."

    "Well, I don't remember being a prude last ni—"

    "I thought we agreed not to talk about that around Kyungsoo!"

    Kyungsoo resisted heaving out a large sigh as Baekhyun and Jongin continued to pull him back and forth, debating over who had thought of this idea first and who deserved to cuddle him first. As both boys let go of his arm to engage each other in a headlock, he slowly began to edge toward the door. Maybe he could make it to Yixing's room before both of them notic—

    "Yah, Kyungsoo!"

    "Don't move another step!"

    Kyungsoo held up his hands in surrender and laughed. Some things really never changed.