Chapter Eleven...Sunflowers...

Sunflower Grave

 

                Jongup kept pushing away from Sunhwa on the floor, scrambling backwards using his uninjured arm to support himself. Sunhwa tilted her head to the side slightly, smiling at him almost sadly. She kicked over the gasoline can, its contents spilling out and filling the room with its fumes. That’s when he saw the box held in her remaining hand: matches. Before he could say anything, protest or scream or otherwise, Sunhwa sighed, pausing a few feet in front of him.

                “Poor Jongupie,” she said, “this shouldn’t have played out this way. This WAS supposed to be a weekend with just Himchan and me. But then he had to mention it to Hyosung and then to Yongguk and low and behold ALL of you little meddlers came along. I could get over that though. You were so cute,” a small laugh and she tossed her hair, somehow still immaculate, over her shoulders, “but then all of you had to start talking about ghosts and whatever…and then that incident in the bathroom…” Her eyes grew distant, a moment of fear running through her face, “Even that I could get over. But that ,” she growled, not entirely focusing on Jongup, “she took him away from me! You know how long I’d wanted him?! Do you?!” She screamed at Jongup.

                Without warning she slammed the shovel down on the ground right next to him. Jongup wanted to lash out, to run, to get the hell out of there, but the sheer madness in Sunhwa’s eyes kept him frozen in place. Breathing heavily she knelt down in front of him, the match box in her hand.

                “Hyosung came to me and told me Himchan had asked her out. She KNEW I loved him, but had the audacity to ask me if it was okay for her to say yes. Do you think that’s fair? The last girl who tried that ended up in the dirt.” A malicious smirk made its way to her face and she reached out to Jongup’s hair, “But you, you’re innocent in all this. You should have stayed in the car.”

                “Wh-Where are Himchan and Hyosung?” He asked, somehow finding his voice.

                “Somewhere downstairs,” she laughed ruefully, “I started the flames a little bit far off from them. If I can’t have him, if he won’t love me, then no one else will either. They’ll have time to consider that while they wait to burn.”

                Instantly Jongup slammed his forehead against Sunhwa’s nose. She screamed in pain, falling backwards, and Jongup took that moment to scramble to his feet and rush out of the room. He had to find them. As he rounded the corner his bad arm hit the corner and he screamed in pain so intense he nearly fell to the ground again. Gritting his teeth he pressed on managing to reach the stairs before hearing Sunhwa scream something behind him.

                He managed to get down the stairs and immediately became aware of the smoke filling the house. He needed to find them before anything else happened.

                “Jongup! You’re making this very difficult for me!” She screamed from upstairs.

                Panicking he called out for Hyosung and Himchan. Where were they? Were they alive? Sunhwa made it sound like they were both still alive. She was going to burn them all alive.

                “Himchan!!” He cried out one more time. At that same instant he heard a door slam nearby and he ducked down behind the couch. Sunhwa’s steps echoed nearby and she was practically screaming his name. He listened as she dragged the shovel behind her, calling to him with alternating sweet and malicious tones. Had his arm been in working condition he might have considered just jumping her and taking her down…but he knew that even if he was capable he wouldn’t win. You can’t fight crazy.

                She was getting closer. Where was she? He had to get out… as if answering his thoughts a door slammed open and a cold gust of wind blew in fiercely, whipping his hair around. The back door…

                “Get back here!” She creamed as he ran out the door.

                In a scene all too familiar to him Jongup found himself running through the sunflower field behind the house.  She was still coming after him, still screaming his name with so much venom that he was sure she could kill an entire army of men just to get to him.

                The leaves whipped across his face as he ran trying his best to crouch lower to avoid being too easily detected by her. He didn’t know where to go. He had to keep running. Maybe he could circle around and get to the house again or find the highway and wave down someone…anyone to help. He should have been paying more attention to where he was stepping.

                With a startled cry he fell forward. Tears sprung to his eyes when he hit the ground, his broken arm jostling and shooting pain coursing through his body. Jongup managed to flip over onto his back and his eyes grew wide at what he saw. The glow of flames was emanating in the distance and he knew the house was on fire.

                “No..!”

                “Gotcha!” Jongup barely had a moment to move before Sunhwa brought the shovel down on where his head was a moment ago. He felt it graze near his temple and immediately kicked out at her legs. Sunhwa fell to the ground and Jongup too that moment to scramble back up.

                Just as he turned to go back to the house he felt something cold rap around his shoulders. Long black hair fell over his shoulders and he knew what was happening. Jongup knew who was behind him. Frozen in place, unable to will himself to look back at her.

                …run…

                Jongup, as if possessed, turned and ran deeper into the sunflower field.

~~~

                Sunhwa felt her rage boiling.

                Where was he?!

                WHERE WAS HE?!?!

                Why was this so difficult?! It was so easy to lure Himchan into the kitchen and bash him over the head. It was even easier to call out to Hyosung at the top of the stairs and then so easy to push her over, to watch her flail out and try to reach out to her, calling her for help. Sunhwa had to admit she got a great deal of satisfaction seeing Hyosung’s still form at the bottom of the stairs.

                But now…this brat, this kid, this bastard child of a was making it so difficult. He was worse than Jungah. She was beginning to really hate “J” names. At least with Jungah it was one hit and she went down. And at least that begged for her life. Jongup didn’t even look all that scared of her.

                …She’d have to rectify that…

                A satisfied smirk filled her face as she glanced back at the house, the flames surely close enough to the pair that they were sure of death. No one would save them though. No one knew they were here…except for Jongup. One last loose end. She’d worry about the fallout later. Right now, she needed satisfaction.

                And then she saw him. He looked at her and quickly ducked away into the greenery. Smirking, she ran after him, pushing the plants aside. This was going to be quick…and hopefully painful for him. Poor kid. He wasn’t supposed to get involved, but no matter.

                And there he was as she broke through the plant life and into a clearing in the field. He was at the far end, clutching his arm, his face contorted in pain. Jongup looked at her. She expected to see fear or surprise…but there was something else there…

                …satisfaction…

                “You little..!” Sunhwa advanced on him only to freeze in place. Cold…it was unforgivingly cold now. The sky was still clear, it wasn’t as if a storm came in. Jongup’s eyes widened and he took a step back, that previous confident look suddenly gone. She smirked. Yes, be afraid now…but it was becoming readily apparent that he wasn’t afraid of her…

                Sunhwa scanned the area and it dawned on her. This clearing…this was where she’d brought Jungah. How fitting. She could bury Jongup here as well…but…something was wrong…

                Jongup backed up some more but ended up falling backwards instead. Just as Sunhwa was about to move into action something cold wrapped around her neck. Her hand grasped at it and she came into contact with slim, cold fingers…

                …Sunhwa…

                The eerily familiar voice whispered right into her ear. Long black hair fell over her shoulders as some hugged her from behind, the touch so cold it felt like a million needles were piercing her skin. She didn’t want to look…she wanted to scream but the moment opened fingers plunged in, nearly gagging her. Sunhwa watched Jongup get to his feet, backing away slowly, his eyes showing that same fear she once saw intensified. She tried to call out for help but the boy instead turned and ran back towards the house.

~~~

                He tried not to think about what he just saw. He just needed to get to the house and get the others. Everything would be fine…

                Except the house was engulfed in flames by the time he managed to return.

                “HIMCHAN!! HYOSUNG!” He cried out in anguish, immediately rushing forward to try and save them. Arms wrapped around him from behind, holding Jongup in place, “Let me go! Himchan!!!”

                “Jongup! Calm down!” Yongguk’s voice suddenly invaded his ears. He continued to try and break out of his hold though, only being vaguely aware of the others and the police arriving.

                “They’re in there! Himchan! Hyosung!!” He continued to fight against Yongguk.

                “You can’t! You’ll die! Stop!” Yongguk finally managed to restrain a now sobbing Jongup. His world was beginning to darken. It was too much. The voices around him were becoming mumbled whispers and harsh sounds. He was too late. They were going to die and he…he…

                Vaguely, right before he passed out, he saw someone moving through the flames…