Awake

Drenching Flames [HAITUS]

Suddenly, light flooded me and I scrunched my eyes tight shut. I was roughly taken by the shoulders, and slid upwards. An arm wrapped around my freed middle, and alarmed by how easily I was slung around, I unthinkingly let my eyes fly open as I was flipped back-to-front. All motion stopped as I came eye-to-eye with the boy I presumed to be Zelo. His large brown eyes widened as I stared back with shock and a slightly open mouth.

We both shreiked.

My back harshly met the floor and I scrambled so I was sitting up leaning against my hands and my knees were bent, heels digging into the floor. Zelo was looking at me as if I'd sprouted antenni.

"How long have you been awake?" Zelo asked, awkwardly standing above me, not sure what to do with his hands. I relaxed, having gotten over the initial shock of being manhandled, and leaned back onto my elbows. I just blinked up at him. Long enough.

He ran a hand through his curly blond locks. I was surprised by his height; I knew he was strong, but he towered above me, regardless of the fact I was lying on the floor. I expected him to be sleighter of frame by his voice.

I felt my head start to spin in relapse. I groaned and rubbed my forehead, feeling the bumps and bobbles of a graze; now I was calmer, my fatigue was rushing back.

Zelo leaned down and put his hands on my shoulders, causing me to look up at him through my fingers. I must have looked like an injured puppy because a grave look of concern strained his features. At first I wondered why the change of mood, but then I remembered now I'm awake, I'd be turfed out by nightfall.

He could tell he had worried me because he cursed under his breath and looked away. "Sorry. It's just..."

I knew perfectly well what he was worried about, but I feigned innocence and prompted it out of him. "What?" I uttered, letting my hand droop so more of my face was revealed to him.

"We don't have much time." He shook his head, letting go of my shoulders and offering me his hand.

As I took it and he helped me to my unsteady feet, I asked the obvious question- "Where am I, anyway?"

Zelo seemed to remember I was a complete stranger to him for a moment, pausing and giving me an odd look. He must have gotten used to me- have I really been here that long? "In settlement 3.22.6c, district 2." I forgot how our villages sounded like bootcamps. "In other words, the village next door." He added.

There was a brief moment of silence between us. We were looking each other over properly for the first time. I had to look up to him. His skin was sun kissed and his lips were soft pink and ever so slightly heart shaped. His facial features were very distinctive- quite elongated in the jaw, with a smooth lined nose and ears disappearing into his mess of curls. He had the face of innocence for such an intimidating height and masculine build.

"Thank you for saving me." I mumbled, looking down. Somehow I felt like I'd caused far more trouble than I could compensate for. I was endebted, and couldn't find words greatful enough to truly express how I felt. Everything seemed so inadequate, and it was starting to make my face redden.

When I looked up he gave me a nodd, rubbing one of his arms.

"And... I understand if you want me to leave." In all honesty, I had no idea where I would go or what I would do. I have nowhere now. No-one. I... I can't think about it now, But not knowing if anyone important to me is alive... It's unlike anything else.

Zelo snapped me back to reality before I could dwell further. "I don't want to turn you away. We need to figure something out." I nodded hesitantly, frowning at the stiffness of my neck. "Sit down," Zelo softly commanded, taking my hands and leading me to the edge of his bed. "I gave you some new clothes, and I cleaned your wounds. To be honest, I would give it a little while longer before taking a look... It's not that pretty." I sighed, casting my eyes down into my lap. Feeling a bit sorry for myself at the moment. I should really focus.

He sat down next to me, still holding the hand closest. "I'm sorry. About your village."

I couldn't think of anything to say. 'It's okay' sounded quite psycotic. So I eventually settled for "Thanks." For everything.