Final

"Doctor, I think I'm sick."

 

”Doctor, I think I’m sick.”

Jinki almost sighed audible, but he quickly covered with a cough. It was the fifth time that guy had called him within a month – they were in mid-April – and the worst part was; nothing was wrong with the guy. He was healthy; ate according to his diet; worked out every day to maintain his muscle mass; went out with friends and such. It was actually a little scary how much Jinki knew about that man. He knew his birth date, his name, his medical condition and a lot of other stuff, but that was something he had to live with when he was a doctor.

“What’s wrong this time, Changsun-ssi?” Jinki asked patiently. He was pretty sure about what he would hear this time. The same thing as he’d heard the last four times.

“My chest hurts,” it got heard from the other end of the line. Jinki almost mimicked the words while Changsun said them.

“You’re perfectly fine, Changsun-ssi,” Jinki said, “I assure you.

It had only been phone consolations until now, except for the first time when Changsun came with a cold. Jinki thought a lot about why the hell a person would go to the doctor, only because of a cold. Firstly; because it took hell of a time to get an appointment. Secondly; the colds would only last for two or three weeks. It would be a waste of time to go to the doctor with a cold.

“But this time it hurts really much,” Changsun kept pushing.

Changsun had changed doctors two months ago. Jinki didn’t know why, but he did. Changsun was probably irritated at him or her for something. Jinki was not that interested in his patients and he had never talked with Changsun’s past doctor.

Changsun had only been to the doctor once, but called seven times already, so deep inside Jinki knew he was sick, but not in his heart, more likely his mind. He was just a little disturbed, that’s all.

Jinki sighed inwardly. He needed to answer him. “Come down tomorrow and then I’ll take a look at it.”

“Great,” Changsun sounded almost happy, “when should I come?”

Jinki was luckily sitting at his computer so he could quickly check when there was space in his tight schedule.

“Nine thirty and thirteen fifty,” Jinki could almost guess which one Changsun would choose.

“The one at thirteen fifty sounds perfect,” Changsun said, probably wearing a smile.

Jinki refreshed the site. “Ah, I’m really sorry Changsun-ssi, but that one has just been taken, so you need to come at nine thirty instead.”

Jinki could hear Changsun let out a displeased sound. “Okay,” he sighed.

Jinki knew that would piss Changsun a little bit off, since he wasn’t the morning person. Jinki knew way too much about Lee Changsun.

“I’ll see you tomorrow then,” Jinki had a smile on his face when he hung up, even though the other couldn’t see him. He’d naturally turned into his doctor role. The doctor who was friendly and offered candy to the children, who came for their examination. Most of his patients liked him, not many had changed doctors after they came to him, only if they had to move.

But Jinki wasn’t really that friendly with others. He was only friendly to his patients, his parents and the friends he already had. He hadn’t many friends, but the friends he did had was his best friends. None of them worked in the same field as Jinki and he loved that. Then he could get something different to think about. For example what Kibum’s next book should be about or what kind of new dish Jonghyun should make for his restaurant. There were also Taemin and Minho, but they worked at an office. Not that there’s anything wrong with working below someone, Jinki simply thought that sounded nice. They shouldn’t think of finances and all that meanwhile they needed to keep an eye on their own finances too, then. Maybe Jinki even envied Minho and Taemin a little bit deep inside.

Maybe you would think: ‘Then why didn’t he just choose something different as profession?’ and the answer to that was quite simple. His father owned this place, his father’s father owned this place and so on. All males in Jinki’s family had been doctors, so of course he didn’t have a choice when he had to choose his future. He didn’t even really want to be a doctor, but it made his father happy, so you could say he felt some kind of happiness too. He loved to make his parents proud and that was probably the reason why Jinki came out with extremely good grades when he finished his studies. He’d always been extremely smart, but that was because he’d studied most of his life while others maybe made friends.

Jinki was ready to close the “shop” for the day and turned his computer off, only to go downstairs to tell Bom that she could leave. Bom was Jinki’s secretary and probably the reason why Changsun couldn’t get the time at thirteen fifty.

 

Bom and Jinki went out to their cars together.

“Another busy day, huh?” she asked while finding her keys in her bag. A big bag. Jinki had never understood why bags needed to be big. Wasn’t a pocket big enough for some keys?

“Yeah,” Jinki answered and unlocked his car door, “tomorrow’s gonna be busy too.”

They both sighed in unison. The days always seemed the same. So predictable.

Jinki suddenly remembered a voice saying ‘my chest hurts’. Tomorrow wasn’t just going to be busy, it would probably also be tough since Changsun would come.

“You know that Changsun guy?” Jinki suddenly asked Bom while he opened the car door to his own car.

Bom eyed Jinki. “The handsome one?”

‘I would call him the troublesome one,’ Jinki thought. Jinki’s eyes found Bom and he had a smile on his face. “I don’t know if he’s handsome. I’m not to guys like you,” he .

She smiled back at him. “If it’s Lee Changsun with the big biceps, then I know who he is. He’s also the handsome one by the way,” she took a small breath, “what’s with him?”

Jinki knew he could share this with her, but somehow he wanted to keep it to himself now. He didn’t know why, but he suddenly had to think about whether to share it or not.

He decided to share it, since she would know anyway when Changsun would come a little before nine thirty the next day.

“He’s coming tomorrow.”

Jinki could see how her brain started to work. He wondered about what she thought about and eventually he ended up asking her, even though it didn’t really concern him.

“I just need to apply more make-up tomorrow then,” she answered honestly.

Jinki simply nodded, it was things he didn’t knew anything about. Applying make-up. Something females, transvestites and famous people do. Not someone who was normal like him. A simple and plain person who lived like every other normal citizen.

They said their goodbyes to each other and drove away in their own car. Jinki was wealthy, he knew that, and you could say that he loved it. He loved having the car and he loved having the apartment which he didn’t had to share with anyone, yet.

‘Someday,’ Jinki thought, ‘someday a lucky woman will live here with me’.

 

 

The next morning Jinki turned in early. He was always early. Earlier than Bom, but he liked how quiet the mornings were. He always had some work from the day before, but he never really did them in the morning. He was still a little too tired to decide which kind of medicine that was the best for Mr. Kang’s now three weeks long cold.

Jinki sat every morning in front of his desk with his computer open; all ready for business. On his desk there was a computer, an old styled phone with wires, something that carried his pens, some paper to write small notes on and a lamp. The room he sat in had lots of stuff. Work related stuff. Needles, a stethoscope, candy for small children, stuff like that. He knew how to use every single instrument in the room; from the weight to the sphygmomanometer. He would know what was wrong with you after ten minutes. He had to know, because he only had ten minutes for each examination he made. He was a little annoyed by that. He couldn’t examine while he should type into the computer what he had found out in just ten minutes. The society had chosen the amount of time, so he had to live with it, and he could live with it, it was just annoying.

It was slowly turning past seven in the empty room, with only Jinki sitting in there all alone like a crazy person.

He didn’t really have a life, he thought to himself, just like Taemin told him last time those five friends would go out for a drink. Jinki had told them that they could just leave without him. He had some paperwork to do anyway. Jinki wasn’t the social type, so he tried to stay away from crowded places, like bars and clubs. You could almost say he was destined to be alone the rest of his life, but he knew deep inside that someone out there was waiting for him, just like he was waiting for her. Jinki somehow believed in destiny, but only in some areas, like love.

The examinations started at nine. You could start calling to get an appointment at eight. Bom would come a little before to help Jinki out with picking up the phone. She usually came at seven fifty and today wasn’t an exception. Why would it? Today she had a thicker layer of make-up on, just like she had told she would the past day. Jinki couldn’t really decide if she looked more beautiful with lots of make-up on or if he preferred it when she wasn’t wearing that much. For work he liked the more natural look, but for clubbing he would go with the thicker one. Jinki thought she looked beautiful no matter how thick her make-up was. He’d never seen her without make-up and he probably never would either. Not that it irked him, really, he didn’t care about how she looked without make-up on. She had a boyfriend.

Jinki and Bom sat in the same room as they usually did every morning from eight to nine. The first patient usually came a little before nine. Jinki always smiled to them when they entered. He didn’t want them to feel uncomfortable when they came to the doctor. They needed to know that the doctor’s place was nice and you only had good experiences there, except for the times where they needed to get a vaccination. The small children would cry, while the teenagers, adults and elders would take it more casually.

His first appointment was a little girl who had to have her first year vaccination. It was going to be a hell; she would cry, Jinki would feel uneasy and jealous. Uneasy for feeling unwanted by the girl and jealous because he envied the mother who had given birth to such a lovely, little girl. He also wanted to start his own family. He wanted to be a husband and a father. His parents would be proud of him too then. They both wanted grandchildren and Jinki was willing to give them some, he just needed to find his wife first. His parents told him, that if he hadn’t found a wife before his thirtieth birthday, they would find someone who he should love and make love to, and get some children with. Maybe it sounded a little unfair not to be able to choose who he wanted to be his wife, if he hadn’t found one before he turned thirty, but he was perfectly fine with that. That meant his parents cared about him, but of course they cared about him. He was their only child.

The phone didn’t really ring and that was kind of strange, since it was starting to get cooler outside and that caused a lot of flues and throat infections.

The little girl and her mother came a few minutes before Jinki had to examine her and give her the vaccine. Just as Jinki had predicted; the examination went well, the part with the needle went by with the baby girl crying afterwards.

They went out to the desk where Bom sat at. The half family paid for the examination and the vaccine while Jinki saw his next appointment. He smiled sweetly at the man sitting in the waiting-room, told him to follow and then the door to the waiting-room opened and in came Lee Changsun with his morning hair and big biceps.

Jinki simply greeted him with a nod and Changsun greeted him back. No words were exchanged.

The man – Jinki told to follow – followed him into Jinki’s workroom, where his computer and all the other instruments he used when he examined people were. It didn’t take long before Jinki had identified the sickness the man had. He had a throat infection. Jinki told him to take his medication – penicillin – and rest a lot, then he would feel better in a short amount of time. Jinki sent him off with a smile.

“Thank you doctor,” the man said as he received the receipt on the penicillin.

Jinki just smiled to him. The man turned around to go to the desk where Bom sat at so he could pay for the examination.

“Lee Changsun,” Jinki said out loud and waved Changsun over, “it’s your turn now.”

Jinki would’ve smiled to anyone else, he also wanted to smile to Changsun, just to be friendly, but he couldn’t get himself to do it.

As they entered the room, Changsun took off his coat. Jinki gestured towards the chair across from his own, with a desk in the middle of them.

“So,” Jinki started and opened Changsun’s journal on his computer. All Lee Changsun’s information was there or almost all of it. Of course there were a few things he didn’t knew about Changsun. “You said your chest hurt?” Jinki asked more as a statement than a question.

“That’s right,” Changsun said, “the left side.” His right hand went to rest on the left side of his chest, right above his heart.

Jinki rose from his chair and went to stand a little to the side from Changsun. “May I?” he asked and placed his hand close to Changsun’s chest.

“Sure.”

Jinki neatly placed his hand to touch Changsun’s pumped chest. He could feel how Changsun’s chest tensed up when Jinki’s hand came in touch with it and relax again after a few seconds. And that was through the fabric of Changsun’s shirt.

After feeling Changsun’s chest for a few seconds, Jinki could tell that nothing was wrong, just as expected.

“Nothing’s wrong,” Jinki said and pulled his hands back and went to sit in his chair again.

Changsun looked a little displeased. “But it hurts right now.”

Jinki tried not to sigh, but it eventually came out as a little wheezing sound. “Take your shirt off and then I’ll use the stethoscope.”

The other quickly complied and took his shirt off and exposed his chest, arms and stomach muscles. Jinki envied Changsun a lot. He would never be able to get such a great body like Changsun’s. Mostly because of work, but also because something like that wouldn’t really suit his body type.

Jinki found the stethoscope and placed one of the ends in his ears and the other one at Changsun’s chest. It sounded fine, maybe his heartbeat was a little fast, but he was probably just a little nervous, he probably thought something serious was wrong with him.

Jinki removed the flat end from Changsun’s chest. He hung the earplug end down around his neck and smiled assuring at Changsun. “Nothing’s wrong with you Changsun-ssi.”

“Are you sure?” Changsun asked concerned. Why didn’t he believe Jinki? He was the doctor after all. “But it hurts so much almost all of the time.”

Jinki sat down on his own chair across from Changsun. He began to write what he’d found out. “When does it hurt?” Jinki asked when he’d written a little in Changsun’s journal.

“Uhm,” Changsun started, “it hurts when I think about this one person, with this one person and when I’m with this person, but it also hurts when I’m not with this person.”

Jinki laughed to himself. He wrote it down in Changsun’s journal. Everything. Also what he assumed was wrong with Changsun.

“I think,” Jinki began and held a pause from the typing to look up at Changsun, “I think you’re in love.” Jinki put extra press on the word love. He didn’t know why, but what’s been said, has been said.

In love?” Changsun said with disbelief, “but I can’t love this person. Not yet. I need to know this person better first. It’s too early.”

Jinki smiled to Changsun and rose up. Changsun followed. Jinki opened the door for him. “Well, that’s none of my business, so what I can do is to wish you good luck and hope your love won’t be one-sided.”

Jinki wore a smile while saying this. He kind of felt bad for Changsun, but he also just wanted to laugh up in his face. He couldn’t believe that Changsun was so stupid to go to the doctor only to find out that he was in love. But, well, Jinki couldn’t complain. Jinki got money for Changsun’s stupidness.

“Sorry to say this,” Changsun said a little embarrassed, “but it is your business. I think I like you.”

This sudden confession, which came out of nowhere, confused Jinki a whole lot. His smiled was still plastered to his lips, but it slowly faded away. This couldn’t be happening. This man, Lee Changsun, was obviously heteroual, exactly like Jinki himself. His uality couldn’t just suddenly change.

“Sorry, but I can’t have a relationship with one of my patients,” Jinki turned him down. He could’ve turned Changsun down in many other ways, but he chose this one and he shouldn’t have. When he had said it, he saw a tiny hint of hope in Changsun’s eyes.

Changsun didn’t say any more and just went to the desk where Bom sat.

 

 

The following day, Changsun had changed doctors.

 


 

 

A/N: I hope you enjoyed reading this story ^^ It took me like two days to write O_O And I'm so happy so many people subscribed before I even posted the chapter :)

 

There probably won't be a second chapter, since I'm working on a full length (Longer than two chapters) story at the moment ;)

 

Please comment and subscribe~!! 
See you some other time maybe ^^