ii

Of Music and Madness

 

 

WARNING: NOT EDITED -.-

 

I stayed at the same university with him for five years. Music isn’t an easy course, you know. We all have to practice, to compose, and to reinvent the music we are trying to depict. I tried to master contemporary music, but the ones I have composed in that genre were abrupt. Too much of a humdrum. Too ordinary in my ears. Too mundane to hear by my professors. So I threw my song notebook away.

Why would I force myself with such genus, when all I have to do is sing? My scholarship has been rotating around my voice quality, which they say is really brilliant, magnificent and almost surreal. I have to admit, I become conceited when it comes to voice quality and range. Though at times the class evaluates each other, I really tend to lean on how the singer internalized the lyrics and the whole song. They hated me for that.

We had this so-called Eumak annual performance night where all the students are to perform something; either by group or solo. I was still a freshman that time. I already had my group and started to rehearse the songs we are going to sing; including the song I wrote. I didn’t’ consider it as a big thing, besides, everything went well to the four of us. Then suddenly, our vocal coach announced in the whole class that I am to perform a solo act in the night.

SOLO. My bones shivered as I heard the word. How I hated the feeling of being alone. How I hated those people who let me do things on my own. And how I hated myself not being cranky about it. For the fact that I had no choice, I had nothing to do but to cooperate with the “higher people” in the university.

“Sorry Minyu, everything got messed up.” I told her in my sincerest tone.

“Neh, it’s ‘kay, you are so lucky, you were the second to be chosen by the admins to perform solo…” Minyu handed me my new song book.

“Second? Hmm.” I nodded. Who could be the first student who sang solo on the Eumak Night? I didn’t really care about it. I turned my back to Minyu and started to walk towards the music room.

I entered the music room, same as ever. The big wide space enough to give space to fifty people, the array of instruments ready to be used by students and my favorite spot, the place where the grand piano is. It was almost reddish brown in color; add the accent of rustiness on the edges that indicates its age. They say it was almost 40 years in the university; still the beauty of the music it produces never fades.

There were quite a number of people? 12? Or maybe 13? I didn’t really pay much attention to it. I walked cautiously, not wanting to disturb any of them. I put my back pack at our little cubby-holes and went straight to our vocal coach who was busy tapping the keys of the piano. I stood right at her back and listened to the three students who were doing their warm-ups. I closed my eyes to concentrate if their voices were able to emulate the ones of the piano.

I silently critiqued the quality of their voices. The tallest girl had a mezzo-soprano voice, though she lacks in the aspect of breathing and dynamics. The one in the middle had the highest voice among the three; unfortunately, she’ll have hard time belting up since she uses her voice box and not her diaphragm, the one to the left had the most strained voice. I don’t know if she sings night and day but her voice, there is, is she singing rock songs? After a few more minutes, they finished the exercise and at last, Coach Yoon attended me. She introduced me to the three, which she spoke about them performing as a trio in the Eukma Annual. Like me, they are also in their first year of college.

It was my turn to warm-up, so I stood in front if the piano and followed the tones I hear. The three went to drink water but I sensed that they listened to me as well. It’s as if the spotlight shone upon me and everyone in the music room was there, to observe me, my voice and the future mistakes that I will do. I put my point finger to me left earlobe so that I could be able to hear my own voice. As the piano keys were by Coach Yoon, my voice was like a chameleon, perfectly imitating the pattern she made.

A couple of patterns passed, and I was done. After reaching the highest note in the exercise, I paced my bag and took my jug and drank some water. I didn’t notice that the three were following me and as I turned to them, their eyes were twinkling.

“Sunbae, please teach us to sing well.” Hana, the tallest, bowed her head to me. The other two followed her action.

“Eh?” I cocked my head with confusion. You want me to teach you? I want to ask that question but I don’t want to sound so sarcastic and y to them. They looked really nice, I think.

 “Please eon-, sunbae-sshi, our Coach Yoon is pressuring us. We should perform well.” Hayoung added. She was the one with the highest voice.

I contemplated for a while, thinking if I would accept their plea. I gulped to water jug before responding them.

“Sure.” I spoke. To tell you the truth, I didn’t want to mentor them, since Coach Yoon will do that job. But seeing the request of the expression of these girls, I can’t refuse. What I will do is to give them tips so that they can ‘exploit’ their voices in a proper manner. I half-smiled to the three as they cheered. Coach Yoon called me back to the stage so that I can already rehearse my movements in my performance.

Everything went good during those days. Jinri, Hayoung and Hana really listened to my tips. I rehearsed my song number in a quite good level. Everyone was busy preparing for the big night. A day before the performance night, the HaHaJi, that’s what I call them since I can’t think of any name for them, and I went to some coffee shop and had conversations there. I ordered green tea, Hana black coffee and the other two Frappuccino.

“Hey, do you want some bread or fritter? My brother works here; I can get you some for free.” Jinri slumped herself on the cushion while she asked us.

“Uhh, I would like too, but we have to ask Sunbae…” Hayoung replied while sticking her lips to her Frap. She searched for my eyes, waiting for my answer.

“Me?” I asked. “I am not your mum guys,” I took a sip of my tea. Hayoung pouted her lips.

“But I think fritter would be bad for the voice, it’s too sweet.” I spoke, making Hayoung alive again. She refused the fritter but she requested for some bread. We waited for the order for about 6 minutes and voila! I noticed the man walking towards our spot. He looks so familiar, I thought. I squinted my eyes to get a better look of him, not realizing he was already a few inches away from me.

“Hey, we met again.” He lowered his head and looked at me. He wore a white polo shirt and an apron on it. His black hair neatly tucked upwards, showing his shiny forehead.

“Yah, nice to see you again.” I replied, HaHaJi’s eyebrows creased out of confusion. If you could see their faces, you will choke yourself out of laughter.

“Oppa?” Jinri met her brother’s eyes. She turned to me and was about to say something when he said something.

“Yah! I met her in the first day of school.” Dae Hyun uttered. He smiled at me as he served the plate. He immediately excused himself as many people walked inside the coffee shop.

Intrigued, the three interrogated me about him. They literally showered me with questions, and some of those are non-sensible. How did me met, do I know something about him, do we often see and talk, random things like that. I was a bit interested with the topic so answered all of them.  Jinri was surprised since her brother was known in the University for being snobby.

It was five in the afternoon when we decided to go home. Jinri stayed in the shop since she will wait for her brother and the two other girls went to their dorms. I walked sluggishly in the other direction, letting my bag sway to my movements. I put on my earphones and silently reminisced about my day.