Our Little Circle of Friends

When Broken Hearts Meet

"Come on, Dongho! We're gonna be late!" Soohyun shouted to his little brother as he pounded on the locked bathroom door. 

 
"Calm down, hyung. I'm coming. I just had to finish fixing my hair," Dongho replied as the door clicked open, revealing the younger boy neatly dressed up in his school uniform. "Why are you so eager to go to school anyway? You're never this pushy in the morning. You usually try to stall and delay," Dongho questioned his older brother as they walked out to his car. 
 
It was an expensive, high-quality car, but it wasn't overly flashy. When Soohyun got his driver's license he requested that he get to pick his own car. His parents gave him a list of options to choose from. Of course, they were all very expensive, top of the line cars, and most of them were very extravagant and practically screamed "Hey! Look at me! I'm incredibly rich! You all should be jealous!" which, of course, was the exact opposite of what Soohyun wanted. He picked the most toned-down car, but even that one gave off an air of superiority over all the other cars that Soohyun could see in the school's still half empty parking lot when he pulled up. 
 
Soohyun quickly parked his car and got out, speed walking towards the building. 
 
"Hyung! Where are you going? Why are you in such a rush?" Dongho called out to his brother. 
 
"I'll see you after school, dongsaeng!" Soohyun shouted over his shoulder as his only response. To be honest, he himself wasn't even too sure why he was in such a rush, but he felt like he was in a really good mood for some reason. He was practically skipping through the halls. He briefly wondered if he was going insane; he was never really happy to go to school. He left the thought behind him as he continued down the hall, a smile playing on his lips as he hummed lightly under his breath. 
 
As he was traversing the nearly empty hallways, he happened upon Kevin. "Hey, Kev! How are ya?" he asked in a chipper tone. 
 
Kevin gave him a suspicious look as he replied," I'm fine...and how are you...? Are you feeling alright?"
 
"Of course. Why wouldn't I be?"
 
"Well, it's just that you're usually not this happy in the mornings. I mean, you're not exactly fond of going to school. And why are you here this early anyway?" Kevin questioned. Soohyun just shrugged as they strolled down the hall together. Suddenly Kevin's eyes lit up. "Is it Hana? Is that why you're so happy?"
 
Soohyun stumbled in shock at his friend's sudden inquiry. "N-no! Of course not! Why would that be the reason? Can't I just be happy in the morning?"
 
Kevin stopped and put his hands on Soohyun's shoulders, looking him in the eye. "Soohyun. I've been your friend for how many years now? I think I've figured out pretty well by now that you are most definitely not a morning person, nor are you particularly ecstatic about school. Either something or someone has made you like this."
 
"Are you saying you don't like to see me happy in the mornings?" Soohyun asked with a fake pout. 
 
Kevin held his serious face for a few seconds before he burst out laughing. "No, it's actually quite refreshing to see you like this. You usually aren't so happy at school, especially over the last year." Kevin's smile turned gentle as he gazed over at his friend. "I'm glad to see you truly smile again."
 
Soohyun looked at Kevin and smiled back at him. Then he decided to make the mood more cheery again. "Yah, why are you getting all sentimental all of a sudden, huh?" he exclaimed as he ruffled Kevin's hair. 
 
"Yah! Shin Soohyun! I told you not to mess with my hair! I spent so much time styling that!" Kevin shouted as Soohyun took off down the hall. Kevin chased him all the way to their classroom. They noisily burst into the room, expecting it to be empty, when they realized that someone was actually there. 
 
"Oh, Hana, you're already here?" Kevin asked as he sat down in his assigned seat behind her, Soohyun sitting beside her. 
 
"Uh, yeah, I just wanted to get some reading done before class," she told them. 
 
"Ah, sorry if we're distracting you," Soohyun said, still breathing slightly hard from running from Kevin. 
 
"No, it's fine, this book isn't very amusing anyway. So you guys seem energetic this morning. What's up?"
 
"Soohyun messed up my hair," Kevin complained as he played around with his hair, pulling a compact mirror out of seemingly nowhere. 
 
Hana started laughing. "Kevin, do you carry that around with you everywhere? I swear you're really a girl in disguise. Don't worry, your hair looks fine!"
 
"Are you sure?" he asked as he turned his head from side to side, eyeing his hair through the mirror. 
 
"Yes, Kevin!" Hana reached over and shut the compact mirror that Kevin was still looking at. Kevin smiled at her and slipped it back into his pocket. Just then somebody else walked in the room. 
 
"Hey Kev. I was looking all over the school for you! Ah, Soohyun, you're here early. I thought I saw Dongho in one of the classrooms. I didn't think it could be true, Shin Soohyun showing up to school before he has to, but I guess it was!" The guy was smiling from ear to ear as he took his seat beside Kevin. 
 
"Yah! Lee Kiseop! Why is everybody so surprised that I would show up a little early to school!" Soohyun exclaimed as he reached over to ruffle Kiseop's hair like he did to Kevin, but Kiseop leaned back out of his reach. 
 
Kevin ignored his question and turned to Hana. "Hana, this is Lee Kiseop, a good friend of Soohyun and I. And Dongho is Soohyun's younger brother. He's two grades behind us."
 
Kiseop smiled as he shook hands with Hana. "So you're Hana. It's a pleasure to meet you!" 
 
"Yup, these two can be a really annoying pain in the when they want to be, but when it really comes down to it they're both very supportive and loyal friends. That's the only reason I keep them around," Soohyun joked as he winked at Hana. 
 
"Yah!" they both shouted as Kiseop playfully hit Soohyun on the shoulder while Kevin messed hi hair up. 
 
"Hey, Kevin!" Soohyun shouted as he shook his head to get his hair back into place. 
 
"Ah, sweet revenge. Do you want to borrow my mirror?" Kevin asked in a mocking tone. 
 
The four people spent the next little while chatting and laughing with each other until class started. 
 
Come lunch, Hana went to her usual spot under a tree. She sat down and rested her back against the trunk. A few minutes later, Kevin came and sat beside her. 
 
"Hey Hana. Is this where you usually eat lunch?" She just nodded as she had just taken a bite of her sandwich and was still full. "Ah, I see. It's a nice little spot. So how did you like Kiseop this morning?"
 
Hana swallowed so she could talk. "I really liked him. He's funny and kind. Like you. But I'm kind of surprised. Up until yesterday I thought that all popular kids were just preppy, snobby kids. But then I met Soohyun, then you and Kiseop, and you're all so nice."
 
"Yeah, well a lot of the popular kids are more preppy. But there's us and a few others who try to be better than that. Speaking of which, here comes one of those few others now." Hana looked in the direction that Kevin was looking and saw somebody walking towards them. 
 
"Yo, Kevin! What's up? Who's this?"
 
"AJ, this is Hana. Hana, this is AJ. He's freakishly smart. Next year he wants to go to Columbia University, an ivy league school in the States." (good luck AJ! Study hard and come back to us quickly! We miss you!)
 
"Yup, I'm fluent in English, possibly more fluent than Kevin, definitely more fluent than Eli."
 
"Hey, that's not true!" a new voice called out. Hana looked up to see someone else walking towards them. 
 
"Hana, this is Eli. He sometimes acts like a bit of a player which makes him seem preppy but he's a good guy. Eli, you better keep your hands off her!" Kevin shot Eli a playful warning glance. 
 
"Why do you guys always pick on me?" 
 
"We don't just pick on you, we pick on everyone in our little circle," AJ informed Eli, "Besides, you know it's just our way of showing that we're close. You pick on us all the time too." AJ slung his arm around Eli's shoulder. 
 
"True enough. Kevin, your hair looks messy." Eli said in a casual tone, proving AJ's point to be true. 
 
"What? It is? Hana, you said it looked fine!" The compact mirror was out again as Kevin looked at himself. 
 
"Kevin, I was joking! You're perfect!" Eli snatched the mirror and slid it into his own pocket. 
 
"Eli, give it back!"
 
"No, I don't want to. I'll give it back later. Kevin, you look great. You don't need it." 
 
"Eli, please?"
 
"No."
 
Hana turned to AJ laughing. "These two fight like little kids!"
 
"Yeah, they've always been like this for as long as I can remember. They were both born in America so they connected right away. Sometimes the three of us like to speak in English just to confuse and annoy the others," AJ revealed with a mischievous glint in his eyes. 
 
The three boys stayed with Hana for the rest of lunch. She really liked them. Kevin, Eli, AJ, along with Kiseop and Soohyun, we're all very kind and funny people, and yet they all had very unique personalities. Hana really enjoyed getting to know each of the boys. I guess not all popular kids are snobs, Hana thought to herself. She was glad she had that chance encounter with Soohyun in the park before school started. If she hadn't she never would have learned that there could be this side of the popular kids, even if it was only a few of them. 
 
At the end of the day, before leaving the biology classroom, Soohyun asked Hana if she was doing anything after school, and she said she wasn't. 
 
"That's good. Do you want to stay for a little while? I'm on the soccer team and we have a practice match against a nearby school today."
 
"Really? But school just started again yesterday. Soccer is already started?"
 
"Well, it's just last year's team sort of warming up. Making sure we haven't gotten rusty, you know? So, do you want to watch?"
 
"Sure!" They walked out to the soccer field together. 
 
"So I heard you met Eli and AJ at lunch." Soohyun said as they walked out of the school. 
 
"Yeah, I did. They seem nice too. I like them," Hana replied with a smile. 
 
"That's good. So now you've met Kevin, Kiseop, Eli, and AJ. I've only got one other close friend here at this school, and speaking of which, here he comes now." As Soohyun said this a person walked up to them. "Hana, this is Hoon. He's a bit quiet sometimes, but trust me, when he wants to he can get as loud and rowdy as the others. Now I have to go change, I'll be out in a few minutes." With that Soohyun turned and ran into the school. 
 
Hana turned and smiled at Hoon, holding her hand out to him. "Hi. I'm Hana."
 
"Hoon," he responded with a smile of his own, gently grasping her hand in greeting. They dropped their hands and continued walking towards the field. "The others are over here," Hoon informed Hana as they moved to the side of the field. Sure enough, Kevin, Kiseop, Eli, and AJ were already there. 
 
"Hey, Hana! So I see you met Hoon! Congratulations. You have now met all of our wonderful circle!" Kevin exclaimed. 
 
"I don't think she's met Dongho yet, though, right?" Kiseop asked. 
 
"No, I guess not," Kevin said. 
 
"I thought you said he was two grades behind us," Hana stated. 
 
"He is, but he's a pretty cool kid. He hangs out with us a lot. You'll probably meet him later. I'm sure he's around here somewhere. After all, Soohyun is his ride home," Eli informed her. 
 
"Of course he could always call somebody to pick him up if he wanted, but he would rather be with his brother than someone who's practically a stranger," AJ said. "That kid really cares about his brother and completely idolizes him."
 
"You said he could call someone to pick him up? Like a taxi or something?" Hana questioned. 
 
"Well..." AJ hesitated. 
 
"Something like that," Kevin quickly cut in. Hana was about to ask more questions but suddenly Soohyun and the other players jogged out onto the field and she forgot about what they were talking about. Hana sat and talked with the five boys while they watched the game. None of them noticed the dirty looks that were being shot at Hana from a group of girls that were sitting nearby.  
 
 
========================
 
A/N: Hey! Sorry it's been a while! AFF deleted my two first chapters and it was being all weird so I couldn't actually put anything up for  the longest time. Also I had a lot of distractions along the way and also somehow got myself completely absorbed into the Olympics. Did anyone see the Japanese male gymnast Kohei Uchimura? That guy is amazing! But anyway...
 
So yes, I have uploaded this not-too-good chapter (sorry it !) and also, our beloved AJ has left us, as I stated in the story. Luckily he will be back in a few months. Geographically he is now much closer to me, but in my heart he is a very long distance away. -cue sad music and fake tears- But seriously, I already miss the guy, Ah well, he can't be an idol forever, right? It's good that he will have something to fall back on, and this most definitely gives him some killer bragging rights.
 
Also, Kibum just ran into U-Kiss a short while ago in the airport! I was soooo happy when I saw the video! I actually started crying! I definitely miss Alexander and Kibum. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcPAFWf5A5A&feature=player_embedded
 
Anyway, please comment and tell me what you think about my story so far! I love you~