Facade

Behind the Spotlights {Oneshot Collection}

Jessica and I aren't, no, weren't on the best of terms at that time.

We had fought for some petty reason I'm not sure I even remember. To be honest, we fought a lot but isn't that normal?

Being together for years taught us that the only way to keep the group going was to be honest and open. No secrets. Just the truth, straight up.

I guess, we were both tired. Tired of all our squabbles. Tired of throwing our pride out the window just to accommodate the other. We didn't want to compromise anymore. We both wanted our way.

So we stopped talking. We stopped our little acts of sweetness, especially in front of the fans. We didn't hate each other. We just simply tried to ignore each other's existence.

It went on for a while but then Jessica tried to approach me. She left ice cream one day in the fridge with a note saying, "Tae, I can't take it anymore. I'm sorry."

I smiled and ate it. I also couldn't take it anymore. I was relieved, knowing I had my best friend back. That petty fight, I guess, tried to break us apart and failed.

I went to a cafe to buy Jessica's favorite drink. I planned to put a little note it saying, "Me too." and give it to her later. On my way back to the dorm, I saw our manager. I said hello and told him the good news.

"What?" he asked a bit shocked. I told him again that Jessica and I were enemies no longer.

"Taeyeon, no. Your fight with Jessica intrigues the fans. It keeps their eyes on you, guys. You have to keep it going a little longer. Just a little longer." He saw my confused face and sighed. "Please, Taeyeon. It's what's best for you and the girls. And don't tell Jessica about this. Just keep on going like you did before."

I cried that night to Tiffany. She was the most worried during my fight with Jessica because she knew how much we treasured each other.

I always knew that this business was cruel but I never expected it to come between my friendship with Jessica, my own teammate. I didn't want to continue ignoring her but I reminded myself that the management knew best. I had to be strong. It was only for a little while, right? So that night, I threw Jessica's drink in the trash, replaced the ice cream to make it look as if I didn't eat it, and continued ignoring Jessica.

I started to depend on Tiffany more. I expected her to give up but Jessica was the same as always, trying to get me to notice her. TaeNy fans rejoiced while TaengSic fans mourned. It broke my heart reading comments blaming Jessica since I knew I was the cause of the whole thing. But I knew I had to be firm in doing what I was asked to do even if I wasn't entirely sure if I was doing the right thing. It was a trait instilled in me since I was young, obedience.

One night, on a plane back to Seoul from an SM Town concert, Jessica sat next to me. She gave me the famous "ice princess" glare while I tried to look for ways to escape.

"Look, Kim Taeyeon. I don't know what's going on with you. I tried everything. We're best friends and I know that one fight was one of our worst ones but I cannot lose you like that. I love you, Tae. " She looked exasperated. I felt tears fall and in one swift motion, I hugged her and told her I loved her too. I told her everything. That our manager said to keep the fight going, how much I missed her, and that I ate the ice cream she gave me. I told her how stupid I felt for letting management get in the way of our friendship. She said it was okay, that everybody makes mistakes, and that she'd make sure they'd get a piece of her mind once they landed. Tiffany passed by, rolled her eyes, and smiled as if to say "Finally!".

*****

We're bestfriends again. Although it might not seem like it on the surface.We talked to our manager and LSM, and agreed to slowly show the public our resurrected friendship instead of shocking them with loads of fanservice. I know, stupid, right? I guess they love a little intrigue.

Our friendship is stronger than ever. We smile at each other a little bit, exchange looks every once in a while, and try to talk a tiny bit in public. Meanwhile, we're glued at the hip in private. I'm sure one of these days, we'll be able to show the public we're fine already. The girls couldn't be happier, especially Tiffany. She never fails to tease us about that fight.

Now, I am on my way to the cafe to buy the drink I never gave her.