Five

Good in Bed

Thinking back, there was probably some way I could have felt worse at Kim ChungHee's funeral. Like if I'd killed him myself. The service started at two o'clock. I got there early, but the parking lot was already full, with cars backed down the driveway, spilling onto the highway.

I finally parked across the street, dashed across four lanes of traffic and straight into the cluster of Jonghyun's friends. They were standing in the vestibule, in what were surely their interview suits, hands in pockets, talking quietly and looking at their feet. It was a brilliantly sunny fall afternoon--A day to look at the leaves, to buy apple cider and build the first fire of the year. Not a day for this.

"Hey, Gwiboon-ah," Minho said softly.

"How's he doing?"

Minho shrugged. "He's inside," he said.

Jonghyun was sitting in a little vestibule, holding a bottle of Evian water and a handkerchief in his right hand. He was wearing the same blue suit he'd worn on Christmas last year. It was too tight, the tie still too short, and he was wearing canvas sneakers that he'd decorated with drawings of stars and swirls during some particularly boring lecture.

The second I saw him it was as if our recent history fell away--my decision to ask for a break, his decision to describe my iness in print. It was as if nothing was left but our connection-- and his pain. His mother stood above him with one hand on his shoulder. There were people everywhere. Everyone was crying. I went over to Jonghyun, knelt down, and hugged him tightly.

"Thank you for coming," he said coolly. Formally. I kissed his cheek, scratchy with what seemed like a months' growth of beard. He didn't appear to notice. The hug his mother gave me was warmer, her words a marked contrast to his. "Gwiboon-ah," she whispered. "I'm glad you're here."

I knew it was going to be bad. I knew I'd feel  terrible, being there, even after our parking-lot breakup, even though, of course, there was no earthly way I could have know that this would happen.

But it wasn't just bad. It was agony. Agony when the rabbi, who I'd seen at Jjong's house for dinner a few times, talked about how Kim ChungHee had lived for his wife and two children. About how he would take Eunyoung to toy stores, even when they didn't have any grandchildren. "Just to be ready," he'd say. Which was when I lost it, knowing that I was the one who was supposed to produce those grandchildren, and how much the kids would have loved him, and how lucky I would have been to have that kind of love in my life.

And I sat there on a hard wooden bench in that funeral parlor, eight rows back from Jonghyun, who was supposed to have been my husband, thinking how all I wanted was to be beside him, and how I'd never felt farther away.

 

"He really loved you," Jonghyuns older sister, SoDam, whispered to me as we stood washing our hands outside the house. There were cars, cars double-parked in the cul-de-sac, cars circling the block, so many cars that they'd had to station a policeman outside the cemetery for the burial service. Jonghyun's father had been very active with the community. Judging from the throngs, it looked like everyone had shown up to pay their respects.

"He was a wonderful man," I said.

She looked at me curiously. "Was?"

Which was when I realized that she was talking about Jonghyun, who was still alive. SoDam wrapped her maroon fingernails around my forearm and dragged me into the immaculate, Downy-scented laundry room.

"I know you and Jjong broke up," she said. "Was it because he didn't propose?"

"No," I said. "I guess... I just felt more and more that maybe we weren't a good fit."

It was as if she hadn't heard me..

"Appa-nim always told me how happy he'd be to have you in the family," she said. "He always said, 'If Gwiboon-ah wants a ring, she'll have a ring in one minute.'"

Oh, God. I felt tears starting to build behind my eyes. Again. I'd wept during the service, when Jonghyun stood on the stage and talked about how his father taught him to catch a ball and drive, and I'd cried at the cemetery when Eunyoung sobbed over the open grave and said, over and over, 'It isn't fair, it isn't fair."

SoDam unnie gave me a handkerchief.

"Jonghyunnie needs you," she whispered, and I nodded, knowing that I couldn't trust my voice. "Go," she said, pushing me into the kitchen. I wiped my eyes and went.

Jjong was sitting on the porch with his friends around him in a forbidding-looking circle. When I approached, he squinted at me, observing me like a specimen on a slide.

"Hey," I said softly. "Is there anything I can do for you?"

He shook his head and looked away. There was someone in every chair on the porch, and nobody looking like they were moving. As gracefully as I could, I squatted down on the step behind them, just outside of the circle, and sat there, holding my knees. I was cold, and hungry, but I hadn't brought a jacket, and there wasn't anywhere to balance a plate. I listened to them talk about nothing--about sports, and concerts, and their jobs, such as they were.

I watched as Jonghyun's mother's friends' daughters, a trio of interchangeable twenty-something, made their way onto the porch with paper plates full of petit fours, and gave Jjong their condolences, with their smooth cheeks to kiss. It felt like swallowing sand, watching him go out of his way to smile at them and show how he'd remembered all their names, when he could barely spare me a glance. Sure, I knew when---if---we decided to break up, he'd most likely find somebody else. I just never thought I'd have to suffer through a preview. I sat on my hands feeling wretched.

When Jjong finally stood up, I got up to follow him, but my leg had fallen asleep, and I stumbled and went sprawling, wincing as a splinter dug its way into my palm.

Jonghyun helped me up. Reluctantly, I thought.

"Do you want to take a walk?" I asked him. He shrugged. We walked, Down the driveway, down the street, where more cars were massing.

"I'm so sorry," I told him. Jonghyun said nothing. I reached for his hand, my fingertips brushing the back of his palm.. He didn't reach back. "Look," I said, feeling desperate, "I know thing have been.. I know what we are.." my voice trailed off.

Jjong looked at me coldly. "You're aren't my girlfriend anymore," he said. "You were the one who wanted to break up, remember? And I'm small," he practically spat.

"I want to be your friend," I said.

"I've got friends."

"I noticed," I told him. "Mannerly bunch."

He shrugged.

"Look," I told him. "Could we... could we just..." I put my fist against my lips. Words were failing me. All I had left were sobs. I swallowed hard. Get through this, I told myself. "Whatever happened between us, however you're feeling about me, I want you to know that you father was a wonderful man. I loved him. He was the best father I every saw, and I'm sorry he's gone, and I just feel so terrible about all of this..." Jonghyun just stared at me. "And if you want to call me, oppa.."  I finally managed.

"Thanks," he finally said. He turned to walk toward the house and after a moment I turned to follow him, like a chastened dog, walking numbly behind him with my head hanging down. I should have just left, but I didn't. I stayed on through the evening prayers, when men with tallits over their shoulders crowded Eunyoung's living room, bumping their knees on the hard wooden floors, pressing their shoulders against the covered mirrors. I stayed when Jonghyun and his friends gathered in the white-and-chrome kitchen to pick over deli trays and make small talk. I hung on the edge of the group, so full of sadness I thought I would burst, right there on Eunyoung's tiled floor. Jonghyun never looked at me. Not even once.

The sun set. I house slowly emptied. Jonghyun collected his friends and took us up to is bedroom, where he sat down on his bed. Joon and Seunghyun and Seunghyun's hugely pregnant wife took the couch. Minho took the chair at Jjong's desk. I folded myself up on the floor, outside of the circle, thinking with some small and primitive part of my brain that he'd have to talk to me again, he'd have to let me comfort him, in our years together were to have meant nothing.

"I've been only a child my whole life," he announced. Nobody seemed to know quite how to respond to that, so they did what I supposed they normally did in Jonghyun's room.  Unbelievable, I thought, biting back a burst of hysterical laughter. They cope with death the exact same way they cope with a Saturday night when here's nothing good on cable.

Joon passed a bag of chips to Seunghyun without even asking me if I wanted any. I didn't, and he probably knew it. The only thing chips ever did was make me fat and eat more than I already did. Not the kind of drug I needed. Still, it would have been nice if he'd offered.

"You're father was really cool," Minho mumbled, and everyone else mumbled his assent, except for Seunghyun's pregnant wife, who made a big production of heaving herself to her feet and walking out the door. Or maybe it's always a production to get up and go when you're that pregnant. Who knows? Seunghyun gazed at his sneakers. Joon and Minho said again how sorry they were. Then everybody started talking about Seunghyun's wife.

Always as a child, I thought, looking at Jonghyun through a haze. For a minute, I caught his eye, and we looked tight at each other. He tilted the bag of chips toward me:Want some? I shook my head no, and took a deep breath.

"Remember when the swimming pool was finished?" I asked.

Jonghyun gave me a small but encouraging nod.

"Your father was so happy," I said. I looked at his friends. "You guys should have seen it. Changhee couldn't swim.."

"..he never learned how," Jjong added.

"But he insisted--absolutely insisted-- that this house have a swimming pool. 'My kids aren't going to sweat for another summer!'"

Jonghyun laughed a little bit.

"So the day the pool was finished, he threw this gigantic party." Now Minho was nodding. He'd been there. "He had it catered. He ordered, like, a dozen watermelon baskets.."

"..and a keg," Jjong added, laughing.

"And he walked around all afternoon in this monogrammed bathrobe that he'd bought just for the occasion, smoking this gigantic cigar, and looking like a king," I concluded. "There must have been a hundred people there.." My voice trailed off. I was remembering Jonghyun's father in the hot tub, a steaming cigar clenched between his teeth, a Dixie cup full of beer sweating on the ledge beside him, and the full moon hanging like a circle of gold in the sky.

"He looked so happy," I said to Jonghyun, "because you were happy."

Jonghyun started to cry quietly, and when I got up and crossed the room and sat beside him, he didn't say anything. Not even when I reached for him. When I put my arm around his shoulders, he leaned in to me, holding me and crying. I closed my eyes so I only  heard his friends getting up and filing out the door.

"Ah, Gwiboonie," he said.

"Shh," I said, and rocked him, moving him back and forth with my whole body, easing him back onto the bed, beneath a shelf lined with his high school trophies. His friends were gone. We were finally alone. "sshh now, shh now." I kissed his wet cheek. He didn't resist. His lips were cool underneath mine. He wasn't kissing me back, but he wasn't pushing me away, either. It was a start.

"What do you want?" he whispered to me.

"I would want whatever you wanted," I said. "Even.. if you wanted that.. I'd do it for you. I love you.." I said.

"Don't say anything," he whispered, sliding his hands up under my shirt.

"Oh, Jonghyun," I breathed, unwilling to believe that this was happening, that he wanted me, too.

"Shh," he said, shushing me the way I'd quieted him moments before. His hands were fumbling with the many clasps of my bra.

"Lock the door," I whispered.

"I don't want to let you go," he said.

"You don't have to," I told him, tucking my face into his neck, breathing in the smell of him, sweet, glorying in the feel of his arms around me, thinking that this was what I wanted, was what I'd always wanted--the love of man who was a wonderful and sweet and who, best of all, understood me. "You don't have to ever again."

I tried to make it good for him, to touch him in his favorite places, to move the way that I remembered he liked. It felt wonderful to me, to be with him again, and I thought, holding his shoulders as he himself into me and moaned, that we could start over; that we were starting over. The Vivi article I was willing to write off as water under the bridge, provided he'd swear a solemn oath to never again mention my iness in print. And the rest of it, his father's death, we'd get through as a couple. Together. "I love you so much," I whispered, kissing the side of his face, holding him close, trying to quiet the small voice inside me that noticed, even in the throes of passion, he wasn't saying anything back.

Afterward, with my head on his shoulder and a few fingertips tracing circles on his chest, I thought that nothing had ever felt so right. I thought that maybe I'd been a child, a girl, but now I was ready to step up to the plate. to do the right thing. to be a woman, and to go stand beside him, holding him up, starting tonight.

Jonghyun eventually, had other thoughts. "You should get going." he said, removing himself from my arms and walking into the bathroom without looking back at the bed.

This was unexpected. "I can stay," I called.

Jonghyun came out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. "I've got to go somewhere with my mom in the morning, and I think it would, um, complicate things if..." his voice trailed off.

"Okay," I said, remembering my vow to be an adult, to think of what he needed instead of what I wanted, even though what I wanted was more along the lines of a long, slow, sweet snuggle.. followed by both of us drifting off to sleep---not this hasty retreat. "No problem," I said, and pulled my clothes back on. No sooner had I straightened my then Jjong was grabbing my elbow and walking me toward the door, hustling me past the kitchen and the living room, where, presumably, his mother was waiting and his friends regrouped.

"Give me a call," I said, hearing my voice trembling, "whenever you want."

He looked away. "I'm going to be kind of busy." he said.

I took a deep breath, willing the panic to subside. "Okay," I said. "Just know that I'm here for you."

He nodded gravely. "I appreciate that, Gwiboon-ah," he said, as if I'd just offered him financial planning advice instead of my heart on a platter. I went to kiss him. He offered my his cheek. Fine, I thought, getting into the car, gripping the steering wheel tightly so he wouldn't see my hands shake. I can be patient. I can be mature. I can wait for him. He loved me so much, I thought, speeding home through the dark. He'll love me again.


And there you guys go! I hope you enjoy it~

-Minjee