First Impressions Can Be Deceiving

Changes

 

Hyun Ae POV

Yesterday when I went to sleep it was like 2 in the afternoon. When I woke up sunlight was pouring out of the window. Please don’t tell me I only slept for an hour .I checked the alarm clock in the room and it told me that it was 8AM. I decided to get up and see if Minwoo was awake. I knocked on his door when there was no answer, I gently pushed it open. Minwoo wasn’t in bed; he wasn’t even in his room. I softly closed the door so as not to wake up anyone else in the house. I turned down the hall and saw him wearing a blue t-shirt, black shorts, and red sneakers.

 “Morning.” He said while smiling.”How did you sleep?”

“Good morning. I slept well and I feel much better.”

“That’s good to hear. I’m going for a jog.”

“Can I come with you?”

“Sure. I thought you would still be tried, so I didn’t ask.”

“Like I said, I feel better.”

I brushed my teeth and threw my hair into a pony tail. I put on a grey shirt and a pair of sweatpants.

We jogged around the neighborhood and he showed me around, showing me how things changed; they were still the same for the most part. It felt good to be out like this in the morning. When I get back home I have to remember to do this more. 

By the time we got home it was 8:50. I went to go take a shower after I finished it was 9:15. I was drying my hair when I smelled something burning. I threw the door open to the guest room.  The adults went out, so the only ones in the house at the time were Minwoo and me. I ran to his room and of course he wasn’t there. I checked the bathroom but the door was open and the light was off, so that meant he wasn’t in there. I finally ran to the kitchen, thinking it would be logical to go see if anything happened in there. I could hear crackling like something was popping in a pan and I could hear a voice cursing. I could see someone standing over something at the stove; it did not look like Minwoo. I grabbed a knife that was sitting on the on a cutting board on the island. His back was still turned to me as he picked up a plate and started putting something in it. What…bacon?

 “Who are you?”I said in English in the most intimidating voice I could muster considering I was scared for my life at this moment.

His head turned and his eyes widened when he saw the knife I was clutching to. At that moment Minwoo entered the kitchen and his eyes widened at the scene he was witnessing.

“Minwoo stay back” I told him in Korean as he started to walk toward me. “I said stay back.”

“Huyn Ae, it’s ok. He’s my friend. Put the knife down.” Minwoo said while approaching me slowly motioning for me to calm down. The person at the stove moved a bit and I turned sharply so the knife was pointing in his direction.

“HYUN AE. PUT THE KNIFE  DOWN, NOW!”

“THEN WHO IS HE?” my voice shaking and my heart beating wildly in my chest.

“He’s MY FRIEND.”

“My name is Dongwoo.” Wait, this guy is Korean? Now that I look at him he does look like he could be.

I slowly and carefully set the knife back down on the cutting board.

“Ni chingu?” I turned to Minwoo.

“Oh, nae chingu.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that someone was coming over? Do you know how scared I was?”

“I’m sorry; it just kinda slipped my mind.”

I walked over to him and hit him over the back of his head.

“Aah, appo! Why did you-“

“You want me to do it again?” I turned to him with my hand ready to give him another smack.

“Ani.” Minwoo looked at his feet with his head hung down, like a puppy that just got scolded by his owner. 

I heard a chuckle and remembered that we had a third person in the room.

“Annyeong, I’m Kim Hyun Ae, his cousin.” I said jerking my thumb in Minwoo’s direction while holding out my right hand and smiling."And I'm not a phsyco."

 

Dongwoo POV

“Hi. Wow your English is really good.”I said as took her hand and shook it.

“I used to live in the states. Here in Florida, as a matter of fact.”

“As I said before Dongwoo is MY FRIEND and he came to eat breakfast with us.” Minwoo said while still rubbing his head.

“Well, excuse me for not playing ‘hospitable host’ to who I thought was an intruder and get over it I did not hit you that hard.”

‘’That’s what you think. Also, why would someone be cooking bacon in a house that they broke into?”

‘’I don’t know maybe they were hungry and wanted to score a free meal.”

I found this whole conversation hilarious. I didn’t know if I should to be offended or not at being called a supposed ‘intruder.’

“Aigoo.” Minwoo said while letting out a long sigh

“After this we are going to my house for a movie marathon that we’ve been planning.”

“Wait, if you guys are going to go to Dongwoo’s house then Minwoo, why didn’t you just go to Dongwoo’s house in the first place?” Hyun Ae asked while knitting her eyebrows together arms folded across her chest. She looked cute.

“Because I was afraid Minwoo would wake up late and skip breakfast.” I told her while trying to salvage the rest of the now- black bacon.

"Minwoo how many times have I told you not to skip meals?”

"Ahh, mula. Well I didn’t wake up late and Dongwoo’s making breakfast, so there."

“Yah, what kind of host are you, making the guest do everything?  Want me to hit you again?” Minwoo put his hands over his head and dropped on his knees to the ground.

“Aigoo, get up you drama queen,” Hyun Ae said letting out a huge sigh and helped him up.

She turned to me. “Would you like some help?’’

“Does it look like that?”

She glanced at the blackened bacon sitting on a paper towel in the plate then back at me.”Yeah, it kinda does.”

“Are you guys having eggs too?”

“Yeah, that was the plan. You should eat with us.” I liked this girl already and it’s been less than five minutes.

She was hesitant at first but I tried using my aegyo on her and it worked apparently because she smiled and said “Ok I will. How about I finish cooking the rest of the bacon and you go ahead and start whipping up some eggs.

“Yes ma’am,” I said while saluting. She giggled and handed me a bowl to beat the eggs in. Even her giggle was cute.

“What should I do? Minwoo asked

“Stay over there and stay out of trouble,” Hyun Ae told him.

“Whatever, I’m not the one who came in and pulled a knife out on someone,” Minwoo mumbled while wearing a pouty face.

“YAH!!” Hyun Ae turned and yelled at his face.

“What? I didn’t say anything.”

“Yes, you did.” I said while cracking the eggs.

“Shut up.” He yelled at me. “Some friend you are.”