Florida Here I Come

Changes

Hyun Ae POV

 

I looked out my window and saw white clouds resembling cotton candy, soft and wispy. I guess the sky is beautiful no matter where you are in the world. Then I lowered the cover on my window so I wouldn’t freak myself out too much. Flying on a plane isn’t my most favorite experience ever. Don’t get me wrong, I find it amazing that we were up in the sky, but I prefer to have my feet on the ground rather than resting on a floor of a machine that is thousands of feet in the air. It’s just a feeling I can’t shake. But it’s the reason I’m flying that I find the strength to endure this.

“Attention passengers, this is your captain speaking, we will be landing in Orlando shortly. Thank you for flying with us and enjoy the rest of your flight”

Finally!! After fourteen hours of sitting here scared, my feet will finally be on solid ground. I will never take dirt for granted again.

Oh, here comes one of the hardest parts, landing. The worst part is departing because you know that it’s a matter of hours that you have to stay in the air. Landing is easier because it means you’ve reached your destination, meaning you get off the plane. But I still get that same stomach flipping feeling at both times.

Maybe if I close my eyes, it will be easier.

 

After Landing

Well that didn’t really work. If anything it was worse because it’s like I got this feeling that I didn’t know what was going on or where I was.

Oh well, no matter it’s over now that’s all that really counts. Hold on, there’s the flight back too, my stomach started feeling strange at the mere thought.

“Hyun Ae, gwenchana?”

“Nae, Umma.”

I looked around and saw his head almost as soon as we entered the airport. A huge smile spread across his face when he saw me.

“Hyun Ae,” he came at me with open arms and I did the same.

“Minwoo-ya."

I hugged him and he hugged me back.

“So how is my favorite cousin?” Minwoo asked, a smile still on his face.

“Seeing as to how she endured a 14 hour and something minutes flight, just to see you, she’s relived that it’s over and very happy to see you. I really missed you, Minwoo.”

“I missed you too. I see you’ve changed, that tummy is starting to look a bit smaller.”

“Chincha? Goumawo. I was wondering if the exercise I’m doing is actually working.”

“Hyun Ae, how are you?,’’ my aunt asked while trying to bear hug me.

‘’I’m good, Imo. Where is Uncle?’

“I’m right here,” he said coming out from behind Imo.

“Annyeonghasayo.”I said while bowing a bit. He held out his hand for me, I shook it. He’s just not really into hugging people.

“How was your flight?,” he asked my father.

“It was good. I slept through most of it, it feels good to be able to stretch my legs,” he replied.

“Well let’s go get your luggage and go home, shall we?” Imo said, starting to walk in direction of the luggage carousel .

“Please.” I said wanting to get out of the airport.

“Was the flight really that bad?”

“Aniyo, Imo, it’s just…,” I let my words trail off hoping she’d get my drift. The chuckle that left her lips told me she did.

The adults chatted while we were getting luggage.

“So how’s the dancing going?” I asked Minwoo

“I came up with a new one that I really want to show you when we get home.”

My mother father and I were staying at Minwoo’s house during the visit.
I also have some friends I want you to meet tomorrow.’’ I gave him a look “Minwoo we just got here, and I hardly slept a wink on the flight.”

“Why didn’t you sleep while you were on the plane?”

“Well it’s not like I didn’t try. You know how like, if it’s not your bed your sleeping in you can’t fall asleep? It was like that feeling. Well minus the bed, and add the fact that we were thousands of feet up in the air.”

We kept talking on the way home just catching up on everything. Even though we e-mail each other just about every day, it felt like I was talking to a friend that I haven’t seen in years, which is kinda true.  I used to live in Florida. Minwoo and I were inseparable back then; we did just about everything together. But my mom wanted to move back to South Korea since my dad’s work was taken care of, which was the reason we came to the states. We both cried a lot when that happened.

We came up to his house.

“Wow, it looks the same as it did when we left,” my mom said.

Maybe some things just don’t change no matter how much times goes by.

“Wait ‘till you see the inside,” Imo opened the front door to reveal a completely changed interior.  I stand corrected, some of things transform over time. Imo was an interior designer so, I think I would be a bit surprised if she didn’t do some renovations. I gawked at how much was different. My Imo saw my gapping jaw and laughed, so did Minwoo.

“Yah, Hyun Ae close your mouth before something flies in.”

“Wow, are you sure we’re in the same house?” I asked while still taking everything in.

“Mmm, let me show you my room,” Minwoo grabbed my hand practically dragging me to his room.

“That’s amazing; my cousin actually has taste in style.” The room looked like something from a magazine.

“Yah,” Minwoo put on a pouty face and stomped his foot on the ground.

“I’m teasing, but seriously the room looks great.” He beamed like a child who just got a gold star from his teacher.

"So where are we sleeping then?"

“In the guest room over there.” He pointed to a room across the hall. I opened the door to the guest room. There was a bed in the center of the room with a closet on the opposite wall, a dresser to the right of the bed and a bathroom connected to it. There was a white duvet on the bed; the color of the furniture was a dark rich brown color and the walls were like a yellow-ish, gray-ish color, there was an overhead light fixture in the center of the ceiling and the carpet was a tan color. It all worked together, the room was warm and inviting.”This room is wonderful. No need to stay in a hotel when you’ve got room like this.”” Since the bed is only enough for your parents, we have an air mattress that we’ll set up tonight for you,” Minwoo offered.

“No that’s okay I’ll just sleep in a pallet.” Minwoo stared at me for a second wanting to protest but I spoke before he could start.

“I’m used to that so, it’s more comfortable for me.”

“Well, if you really want to, then I guess so.”

We started to put the suitcases in there and he helped me unpack. By the time we were done Imo called us down to eat dinner. We had spaghetti that Uncle made; it tasted just as good as it did when we were younger.

“Uncle that was good.”

He smiled at me. “Minwoo look your cousin knows something good when she tastes it. Hyun Ae , mani mogo.”

"Oh no I’m full, plus I’m really tired." Mom gave me a doubting look “Didn’t you sleep on the plane?”

“I couldn’t sleep for too long I kept waking up like every other minute so I just stayed awake during the flight.”

“Then go ahead and sleep sweetie. I set up the pallet in the guest room so you can go ahead and rest ,” Imo told me.

“Wait, Hyun Ae-ya I want to show you my dance,” Minwoo protested.

“Minwoo that can wait let your cousin sleep first,”Imo said to him.

“Imo it’s okay he can show me then I’ll go sleep.”

Minwoo got up, gesturing for me to follow him. He turned o the CD player in his room while I sat on the corner of his bed and watched him. A song that sounded like rap started to play and he moved with the music. He was completely immersed in the song, it’s like dancing was second nature to him; it came so naturally.

By the time the song was over his breathing was hard and I started cheering.”Look at you go. We need to find an audition for you.” I started to push myself off the bed and make my way to the door.

“Gumawo, Hyun Ae, but I don’t have that much confidence.” I whipped my head around.

“Yah, don’t you ever say that. You are amazing when you dance and don’t let anyone tell you any different.’’ I resumed walking to the door. “Goodnight Minwoo, chal cha.”

“Chal cha Hyun Ae."

Minwoo POV

Hyun Ae that means a lot to me coming from you. Gumawo

 

_____________________________________________________________________

I know kinda long and boring but things will happen just bear with me