Chapter Seven "2006"

The journey to Love

Yes we have jumped into the future!

Everyone loves a bit of a mystery! If your confused please ask me about anything!

 

 

15  years later

A woman is lying face down in a double bed in a small room. Bright light is streaming into the room through the gap in the curtains causing the light blue walls to reflect the light around the room. Dara walks into the room and looks exasperatedly at her older sister. Walking over to the curtains she pulls them open mercilessly. Sunlight explodes into the room and the woman of the bed audibly groans, smiling Dara sits on the bed next to Hyori and shakes her, not very gently…

Dara: UNNIE!

Hyori: erghh

Dara: Come on Unnie! If you don’t get up now you’ll be late for work!

Hyori: ergghhhh

Dara: Unnie! Come on! You promised you’d cook breakfast!

Hyori: Ok

Dara smiled and turned away from the room, not too soon to hear the rustle of a duvet. Turning back around Dara saw Hyori pulling the duvet over her head and snuggerling back under the blanket. Dara walked to the base of the bed and pulled the blanket roughly off her sister.

Dara: Unnie! I’m going to be late! Late and hungry!

Hyori sat up and looked straight at her little sister

Dara: AHH! Hyori! Did you get any sleep last night! Your face is so bloated!

Hyori grabbed a pillow and threw it at her sister, who dodged the pillow and ran out of the room. She then threw herself into the bathroom and into the shower. In half an hour she had showered dried her air and applied make-up. Walking into the kitchen she proceeded to heat up leftovers from a previous day. As she cut up the kimchi and added it to the arrange of side dishes Dara walked into the room.

Hyori: Dara? You’re dressed up today, what’s the special occasion?

Dara had curled her hair, and applied a layer of natural makeup. She was wearing a mid-thigh length skirt and a tigh fitting polo top. Dara smiled at her sister and settled down at the table

Dara: I have a special date today after my lecture is finished!

Hyori: Really? What’s he like? Is he cute?

Dara: I dunno… I’m being set up by a friend, but she says that he is really good looking!

Hyori: Ya! Dara, you can’t just date a man because he is good looking! What else do you know about this guy? This date sounds dangerous! You do realise this man is a total stranger!

Dara: Unnie relax! It’s my friend’s younger cousin! You can stop playing the part of responsible older sister now! Oh! And before I forget Yejin-shi rang last night, she said that she would call back tonight

Hyori: Oh Ok! But still make sure you stay in public places! (Dara rolled her eyes at her). Thanks for the message, I better run now, or I’ll be late, do you want a lift to your lecture?

Dara: It’s fine Park Bom is picking me up in her car. I’ll see you tonight!

Hyori finished the coffee that she was drinking and grabbed her car keys off the counter. She walked out of their apartment, into the lift and went down to the basement. She smiled at the sight of her second hand car, a Nissan Figaro, and climbed in.

Within half an hour she reached the YG building. Reaching the security shack she waved a pass at the sensor and allowed the barrier to slowly open before driving into the underground car park. She then entered another lift and pressed the ground floor.

The lift opened to the YG building lobby, walking up to the welcome desk, Hyori signed herself in and re-entered the lift. Just before the door closed an arm itself between the closing doors, causing them the rebound open again. A good looking man entered the lift and smiled at Hyori. His charisma flowed out of his eyes and seemed to warm the whole lift.

Hyori: Hello TOP! It’s early I didn’t expect you to be here today, I thought you had an event?

TOP: Hello Hyori-shi! I have a meeting with Yang Hyun Suk. But then I will be down to see you!

Hyori: Oh ok that explains everything! You want no.40 then?

TOP: Ah! Yes please

Hyori pushed the floor number and allowed herself to relax against the wall of the lift as the doors slowly closed. She’d never liked lifts not since-

TOP: So I hear you’ve had a promotion?

Hyori: Sorry? Hyori said as TOP dragged her away from her thoughts.

TOP: A promotion?

Hyori: Oh yeah! I’ve graduated from being a student! I get to do the trainees and the back-up dancers make up alone now, and occasionally I get to do the stars!

TOP: What like me?

Hyori: Um no not quite yet!

TOP: But you said occasionally you get to do the stars?

Hyori: Not that you’re head could get any bigger but you’re one of the top stars of the whole industry! I’m still on a small salary!

TOP: I was going to say! This company would be going really downhill if they actually allowed newbie’s like you to do my hair and face!

Hyori: TOP!

Lift: Level 30 doors opening

TOP: You’ll still be there to do my dancers though right?

Hyori as she walked out of the lift she waved at TOP who winked at her flirtatiously. Hyori looked at him with her typical look of disapproval

TOP: Bye Noona!

The lift doors closed, blocking out his face. Hyori smiled and walked down the corridor and into the make-up room. She saw her colleagues gathered in the middle of the room whispering excitedly.

Hyori: Good morning girlies!

The girls turned and smiled, one of them walked up to her beaming.

Shi Yeon: Hyori! Guess what Yang Hyun Suk announced?

Hyori: I dunno what?

Shi Yeon: Honestly Hyori sometimes you’re so boring! Guess?

Hyori: Ummm he’s getting married?

Shi Yeon: Nothing like that!

Hyori: Then what?

Shi Yeon: He’s holding auditions, open auditions!

Hyori: What for a new group?

Shi Yeon: I dunno! But isn’t this exciting!

Shi Yeon beamed at Hyori. She was the oldest friend that Hyori had. And she had stood by her in everything.  Shi Yeon had finished high school and gone straight into training at YG. It was due to Shi Yeon working here that Hyori had been able to get a part-time job as an assistant while she took her degree in fashion. After finishing her degree, and finding a search for a job in a fashion firm fruitless, she decided to take her job in the make-up as a serious position, she had no choice as she needed to support Dara through her degree in university, but four years later she loved her job and was so glad that she took this route.

Hyori: Come on, we better get to the SBS studios. We need to set up before the dancers get there.

*****************************************************************************

Dara stood waiting outside her apartment, looking for Bom, suddenly her phone started to ring, she pulled it out her pocket and saw on the phone that Bom was calling.

Dara: Bommie?

Bom: Hey Dara, I’m really sorry my car has broken down, I can’t come pick you up. Do you need me to send you a taxi?

Dara: Bom! Don’t be silly I can just get the bus! I’m taking it that you won’t be able to get to the lecture?

Bom: No I don’t think I will, can I copy your notes later?

Dara: Of course you can! I’ll ring you after the lecture- oh no wait I can’t, I’ve got that date…

Bom: Ah good luck! Ring me after it’s over and tell me how it goes!

Dara: I will, bye!

Dara hung off the phone and glanced at her watch if she ran the bus stop, she might just make the lecture in time. She then wished she had worn something more practical, running in heals and a short skirt was never a good idea, but what choice did she have? Gritting her teeth and praying that she wouldn’t twist her ankle, she began to run down the street .

She made it to her class within seconds and sat down in the only remaining seat in the front row, she pulled out her glasses and her notebook from her bag and prepared herself for two hours of heavy medical learning.

*******************************************************************************

Kim Jong Kook looked around the room he had slept in for the last 28 years of his life and he knew he was making the right decision, this town had nothing for him now, except for his parents and he could come back and visit them. The only previous time he had left Hapceon was to go to University, and now he was leaving for good. In some ways he felt like and unfilial child, as most of his school friends had already made their parents by getting married and giving them grandchildren. Kim Jong Kook felt like he already had children by being a teacher, and certainly had not found anyone that he wanted to settle down with. There was a knock on the door, and then his younger brother Daesung walked into the room.

Daesung: Hyung, are you ready to leave? The moving van’s here!

Kim Jong Kook: Mmm! I’m ready; Let me just grab my hand luggage

Jong Kook mumbles, turning away from Daesung gathering up his mobile and wallet from the desk. Daesung looks puzzled at Jong Kook as there were still a box sitting on the floor.

Daesung: Hyung what about this box?

Kim Jong Kook: What?

Jong Kook looks at what Daesung is pointing at and shakes his head slowly. The only things he intended on leaving behind were his past memories of Hapcoen. As precious and special they were to him, it was more important that he moved on. He needed a fresh start.

Jong Kook: There staying here.

He said the words emotionlessly but pointedly to Daesung who understood instantly not to pressure him any further.

Jong Kook: Come on then, it’s a long journey to Seoul we better get moving.

Daesung: Hyung…

Jong Kook: Yeah

Daesung shuffled his feet, he knew he needed bring up the subject before they left but he didn’t have the courage to ask him, looking straight into his brother’s eyes he avoided the question he wanted to ask.

Daesung: Doesn’t it feel weird moving! I mean we’re moving to a place we have never even visited!

Jong Kook: Ya! You’re the one that we are moving for!

Daesung: That’s what I am saying it feels so exciting to be leaving….

Jong Kook: Don’t let mum catch you saying that! She’s going to take for ages to say goodbye, so we bet-

Daesung took a deep breath and interrupted his brother. Jong Kook looked inquisitively at his brother.

Daesung: Hyung!

Jong Kook: Whats wrong Daesung?

Deasung continued to say nothing

Jong Kook: Come on spit it out!

Daesung: It’s just…

Jong Kook: What?

Daesung: You do realise that by leaving here, we’re destroying all chances of ever seeing them again.

Jong Kook froze and didn’t say anything. For a minute an awkward silence hung in the air. Just when Daesung began to seriously regret what he had asked Jong Kook spoke, so quietly it was almost a whisper.

Jong Kook: Its time you realise dongsaeng, that they weren’t forced to leave, they ran away. It’s nearly been ten years since they left, I don’t think they intend of leaving anytime soon.

With that, Jong Kook walked out of the room and down the stairs. Daesung couldn’t believe what he had heard, for the first time in almost ten years Jong Kook had spoken about their two lost sisters. Even though he had finally realised how effected his brother still was by all this, he realised that would probably be the last time his brother would ever speak of them again. Daesung could hear his mother and father talking to Jong Kook downstairs and decided to go downstairs to say goodbye, but the box on the floor caught his attention. Daesung had no idea what was in the box when Jong Kook had first mentioned it, by after their discussion, he had a strong suspicion of what the box contained. Without being able to resist he lifted to flaps of the box and looked inside.

There was an opened envelope inside, a picture and a small wooden carving, before Daesung could look any further into the box he heard his name being called, and the sound of footsteps approaching. Daesung didn’t even think twice, he grabbed the letter from the box and stuffed it into his pocket, and stood up. The door of the room opened, and Mrs Kook entered the room, she looked around the room wildly, trying to sense if anyone was in the room.

Mrs Kook: Daesungie?

Turning around Daesung was shocked to see his mother. He walked over to her immediately and held her by the arm.

Daesung: Omma! What are you doing coming up here by yourself?

Mrs Kook: What do you mean? Am I not allowed to walk round my house by myself anymore? My legs work perfectly!

Daesung: Omma! You know what I mean, you have to be careful! Especially now that me and Jong Kook won’t be around!

Mrs Kook: Pfff!

Daesung: Omoni! Please promise me that you will not wonder round the house by yourself! I know I shouldn’t be leaving and I should be looking after you-

Mrs Kook: Nonsense! As much as I don’t want you to leave, I’m not going to get in the way of you achieving your dreams. Anyway your cousin is moving in with us, so she will be able to look after me!

Daesung: Omma, thank you.

Mrs Kook: What are mothers for! (Smiles) Anyway what are you doing in here?

Daesung: Sorry, I got absorbed in my thoughts. Let’s go downstairs.

Taking his mothers arm he directed her out of the room, down the stairs and out of the house. Jong Kook and his father were standing next to the moving van that they were borrowing from Chunhee’s uncle.

Sooro: Hello! It’s good to see you again Ajumma! Hello Daesung!

Daesung smiled at the man who was as good as his own uncle, and turned to face his mother again.

Daesung: Omoni, I promise I’ll call you every day and-

Mrs Kook: Hey! Let’s keep to promises you can keep. I’ll be happy as long as you ring me once a week. And make sure you come home and see us as regularly as possible, ok.

Daesung hugged his mother tightly and tried hard not to cry, his mother looked so frail and week in the sunlight. He felt terrible for leaving her. Looking over his shoulder he saw his brother wiping away a tear. Pulling away from his mother he held onto her shoulders and looked her straight in the face.

Daesung: Don’t miss me too much ok!

His mother laughed and smiled, feeling happier Daesung went to hug his father. Jong Kook moved across and hugged his mother.

Mrs Kook: Look after your brother.

Jong Kook: I will Omoni! I promise.

Mrs Kook: And remember what else you promised me!

Jong Kook smiled and kissed his mother on the forehead

Jong Kook: How could I forget? Goodbye Omoni!

Jong Kook opened the car door and climbed in. Daesung finished saying goodbye to his father and climbed in after Jong Kook

Mr Kook: Be good kids! And stay safe.

Both Jong Kook and Daesung smiled in response and waved as Soroo slowly drove the car out of the yard and down the road.

As soon as their parents were out of sight, Daesung turned to his older brother.

Daesung: What did you promise them?

Jong Kook: Well…

Daesung: Yes?

Jong Kook: In order, for you to be allowed to leave home, Omma’s condition was that I go with you.

Daesung: Right…

Jong Kook: And the condition for me being allowed to leave is that if in five years I’m still not married….

Daesung: Yes????

Jong Kook: I have to agree to get match made with someone within the following year.

Daesung: Hyung!!!! That’s your future! In order for me to achieve my dreams, you’re giving up the chance to really fall in love with someone! Let’s turn back now, Soroo-shi! Please turn around!

Jong Kook: Soroo-shi don’t listen to him!  Trust me Daesung I don’t mind! It’s not that bad an idea, you know me I always surround myself with my work. Over the years I haven’t exactly been the best son, so I this is what mum wants, as long as it makes her happy I don’t mind.

Daesung: Hyung!!!!

Jong Kook: Really I’m fine! Now I suggest you try and get some sleep. Me and Sooro will take it in turns to drive. If we don’t come across much traffic, we should reach Seoul by morning. You have a big day tomorrow. So get some rest.

Turning around in the seat Daesung leaned against the window of the car, watching the sky slowly darken, he was glad he had such a good family that supported him. Instead of denying the help they were giving to him. Daesung decided to accept it. He promised himself as he watched the sun set that he would everything in his power to help Jong Kook find real love before the next five years were up.

He had totally forgotten about the box in Jong Kooks room; the wooden carving which had been knocked out of the box unnoticed by Daesung, the letter which was folded in his pocket. Or the picture of his brother, Chunhee, Dara, Hyori and Himself which lay undisturbed in the corner of the wooden box.

 

TBC!