Chapter Six- "1991"

The journey to Love

 

Three years later – 1991 The accident.

The next few years moved quickly and silently without much happening, Chunhee and Hyori grew constantly closer while Jong Kook and Hyori moved collectively more apart. But then Hyori and Chunhee started middle school, resulting in Hyori and Jong Kook being able to see each other again but her mother became more and more sick. Then at the beginning of 1993 she was diagnosed with cancer.

Shi Yeon: Hyori!! I have the biggest news ever!

Hyori: what? Tell me!

Shi Yeon: Apparently the exchange student really likes you.

Hyori looked at Shi Yeon blankly, waiting for the news, when she realised this was it she got confused.

Hyori: I don’t understand? What do you mean?

Shi Yeon: That Henney bloke, apparently he told Jung Hwa, who told Min Kyung, who told Sang min, who told Haejin, who obviously told me.

Hyori: Told you what?

Shi Yeon: That he really likes you

Hyori: That’s nice, I like him too!

Shi Yeon: Ya! Hyori, I mean that he likes, likes you

Hyori: eh?

Shi Yeon: You know he likes you in “that way”

Hyori: Ooh!  Shi Yeon! What should I do! I'm not ready to get married!

Shi Yeon: My friend sometimes you are so dumb! Just because he likes you doesn’t mean you have to get married!

Chunhee: Who likes you?

Hyori and Shi Yeon both jumped as Chunhee walked up behind them.

Hyori: Chunhee- yah! Don’t do that!

Chunhee: You haven’t answered my question, whats all this about getting married? You’re 13!

Hyori: Apparently that exchange student wants to get married to me.

Shi Yeon: ah! Chunhee-ssi! Don’t listen to her, he only likes her, he hasn’t said anything about marrying her.

Chunhee: Isn’t he that kid whose 16? He should be in high school but his Korean isn’t good enough?

Shi Yeon: Yeah that’s the one!

Chunhee: He’s too old for you Hyori stay away from him!

Jong Kook: Who’s too old for Hyori?

Hyori, Shi Yeon and Chunhee all jumped, they turned to see Jong Kook looking slightly agitated.

Shi Yeon: And I thought this part of the playground would be nice and secluded.

Jong Kook: Ya! Chunhee answer my question, whose too old for Hyori?

Chunhee: Apparently that 16 year old exchange kid wants Hyori to marry him.

Shi Yeon: ARGHH! Chunhee you’re just as bad as Hyori! He doesn’t want to marry her, he wants to date her!

Hyori: Date me! Why didn’t you say, I thought he was going to propose! That’s fine then.

Jong Kook: Fine? Hyori that’s not fine! He is sixteen! You are too young to be even thinking about dating.

Chunhee: Hyung? Didn’t you date that girl two years ago? You were 13 then?

Everyone turned and looked at Chunhee. Jong Kook looked mad, Hyori looked shocked and Shi Yeon looked relatively amused.

Hyori: You dated someone?

Her voice was quiet and timed almost scared.

Shi Yeon grabbed Chunhee’s arm

Shi Yeon: Lets give them a minute ok?

Chunhee: Why do they need a –

Shi Yeon put her hand over Chunhees mouth and pulled him away from Hyori and Jong Kook who didn’t even notice, they were just looking at each other.

Jong Kook: So what if I did?

Hyori just kept blinking her eyes, she didn’t understand why but she felt betrayed and hurt.

Hyori: Oppa, I’ll leave now.

Jong Kook felt awful, he felt as though he had betrayed her, as if he had let her down and it hurt him.

Jong Kook: Hyori, promise me you won’t date that guy.

Hyori felt anger flaring up inside of her,

Hyori: Who are you to say something like that to me?

Jong Kook: I’m your-

Jong Kook broke off, because he didn’t know the end of that sentence. He didn’t know what or who Hyori was to him.

Hyori: You are my best friend, my Oppa! You are not my father or anything else. If I want to date that guy I will.

Jong Kook: Hyori, I-

The bell rang loudly across the play ground.

Hyori: I’ll see you after school Oppa.

Hyori ran across the playground, she wanted to break down and cry and she wasn’t sure what the reason for that was. She was one of the last to enter the classroom, she walked towards the teacher desk and then tried to make her way down the aisle to her seat, but the teacher called her back.

Seon-sang-nim (teacher): Ah, um Hyori, can you come with me to the main office please.

Hyori: Seonsangnim, have I done something wrong

Seonsangnim: No, just come quickly.

The teacher led her out the classroom and down the hall, in the corridor they passed Jong Kook who was hurrying to his classroom.

Seonsangnim: Wait, its Kim Jong Kook, isn’t it?

Jong Kook: Yes Seonsangnim, whats wrong?

Seonsangnim: I think you better come with me too.

Jong Kook: What’s going on? Is Hyori in some kind of trouble, because she’s not that kind of kid.

Seonsangnim: Just follow me please.

Jong Kook looked towards Hyori, she looked terrified. Jong Kook realised instantly what was probably happening. Hyori’s mother. Without thinking twice Jong Kook slide his hand into Hyori’s and squeezed tightly, hoping and praying that what he was thinking was wrong.

They walked into the main office, Mr Kim was standing there with Daesung and Sandara.

Mr Kim: Kids we need to get to the hospital now, I will explain what happened when we get there.

Jong Kook: Appa! Why am I here?

Mr Kim: Just wait till we get in the car Jong Kook, I know it’s hard but I will explain everything then.

They all left the main office and practically ran to the truck, putting Daesung and Sandara in the front seats, Hyori and Jong Kook climbed in at the back. Mr Kim started driving and pulled out of the school.

Mr Kim: Hyori, your mother realised recently that she didn’t have much longer left. She told my wife that before she died, she needed to visit somewhere one last time. Your mother begged and pleaded until my wife caved in. They left early this morning and on the way back.

Jong Kook: Appa? What happened?

Mr Kim: They were hit by another car. A drunk bum who was driving recklessly on the roads.

Hyori: What happened to my mother?

Mr Kim: I’m sorry Hyori, she’s in a critical position, even if she wakes up, the doctors are saying there’s no way that she will ever be the same again.

Hyori: You’re lying. I won’t believe you. Why are you doing this.

Hyori was shaking and tears were falling everywhere all over her face.

Mr Kim: I’m so sorry Hyori, I’m not lying. I would never-

Hyori: You are, you-

Jong Kook grabbed Hyori and held her in his arms. Hyori’s sobs grew more controlled and she grabbed onto Jong Kook as though if she left go she would fall apart. Jong Kook’s tears fell down his own face and onto Hyori’s hair, but he couldn’t tell whether he was crying for his own mother or for Hyori’s pain.

Jong Kook: Appa, Omoni?

Mr Kim: She’s also in a bad condition, but not-

He didn’t need to finish, Jong Kook understood and nodded. Mrs Lee was week from the treatment she had been receiving in hospital for cancer. If she was close to death, then even a minor car crash would have been disastrous.

When they arrived at the hospital, Jong Kook, Hyori and Sandara, went straight in while Mr Kim found a place to park. Jong Kook still gripping Hyori’s hand, ran to the desk and found out where to find their mothers.

Jong Kook led Hyori to an empty corridor with two doors at the end.

Jong Kook: You go left, I go right.

He squeezed her hand and let go, Hyori stumbled into the room. It was white and clean. There was a single bed where her mother lay, but she was unrecognisable. Her whole body was covered in tubes and wires. Through her sobs Hyori called out

Hyori: Omoni.

The woman lying on the bed kept her eyes shut, next to her she could hear her little sister starting to cry. Sitting next to the bed was Hyoris father, Dara ran round the bed and climbed onto his knee. Sobbing, he cradled her in his arms.

Hyori:  App, Ap…p….a- Is she, d… is she d, is sh-

Mr Lee: No.

Hyori took to the other side of the bed and held her mother’s other hand.

Hyori: Omma, Please, please wake up, it’s me your Hyori. Omma! Omma!

Hyoris vision was blinded with tears.

Hyori: Omma, I love you. Please, you can’t leave me.

Dara sobs increased in sound and she too began calling

Dara: Omma, Omma, Omma!

But nothing worked she didn’t move or say a word. They stayed there for two hours until the woman lying on the bed slowly opened her eyes, she looked around the room with pure terror on her face.

Hyori: Ommoini! You’re awake. Appa! She’s opened her eyes! She’s alive.

Mr Lee: Honey?! Honey! It’s me.

But the woman didn’t say anything, a single tear dropped out of her right eye and then the heart monitor went dead. The room stopped moving, there was silence except from the dull low beep that registered no heartbeat.

Mr Lee ran out of the room and brought in nurses and doctors, Hyori saw them bustling around her but she couldn’t feel or hear them moving, Someone began to pull her out of the room and away from her mother and she started screaming and kicking but she was pulled away, and out of the door. Her Mum was soon taken from the ward and hurried into a surgical room which they were told to wait outside of.

People kept walking up to her asking if she wanted a drink, food, if they could help in anyway what so ever. The only thing she wanted was her mum. And that wasn’t going to happen. After an hour, the surgeons came out. It all seemed so clichéd as though she had stepped through a television screen into a drama- but it was real. The surgeons had tried their best and they had failed.

*****************

Her mother was declared dead on the 13th May 1991. And then everything changed

********************************

 

Is anyone actually reading this? If you are I would love some feedback, I really want to know if I'm any good at writing fanfiction...

It would be great to know if I had any actual readers too... so if you're a silent reader I would love it if you could just leave me a comment stating "I'm reading!" But I'm bad at leaving comments so I understand if not!

Thanks for reading!