Blessing

Love is in the air...

 

            “Ouch, Minki, you can’t jump on eomma like that in the morning!” I look up and see Minki’s big brown eyes inches away from my face. “But eomma!” He continues to shake my shoulders. “There’s someone at the door to see you! Eomma! Wake up!” I sigh and look at the clock. “Aish, who visits me at five in the morning?” I mumble to myself. I walk to the door, passing the kitchen where Bom-eomma is making breakfast and Junhong is sitting at the table talking to her. I open the door, immediately woken up fully by the cold air blowing in on my face. In front of me is a tall, muscular, but still lean, brown-haired man, probably about my age, maybe a year or two older. Junhong flies into his arms out of nowhere. “Gukkie!” He squeals. A soft smile creeps on to the ‘Gukkie’s’ face.

“It’s good to see you too, Junhong.” His voice is deep and rough, but kind and gentle at the same time, somewhat like Seunghyun-appa’s voice. “Eomma, can Yongguk come in?” I smile and nod. Junhong grabs my hand and Yongguk’s hand and drags us into the living room. “Harabeoji!” says Junhong to Seunghyun. We have our little family. Junhong and Minki are the children, I am their eomma. Because I basically live in Bom’s house (she lives on her own), she’s my second eomma, and because she’s dating Seunghyun, he’s my appa (he stays the night here some times). So that’s why they’re Junhong and Minki’s grandparents. Chaerin is the aunt, and I swear that soon enough Key will be the uncle. Now all my ‘sons’ need is a dad. My mind (or is it my heart?) can only wonder to Himchan. But he and Yoona are perfect together.

            Anyway, back to reality, and Seunghyun is chatting away to Yongguk about guy stuff, when Bom comes in and tells us that breakfast is ready and Minki is finished setting the table so we all move in to the kitchen. I sit with Bom; Minki sits with Junhong, while Seunghyun and Yongguk sit at opposite ends of the table, with Seunghyun in between Minki and Bom-eomma and Yongguk in between Junhong and I. We all eat our breakfast happily, and then I remember that there shouldn’t be a stranger in my (well, Bom’s) house, eating breakfast with us at half past five in the morning on a Wednesday. “Yongguk-ssi, remind me what your doing here?” He quickly glances at Junhong, who smiles and nods back to him. “Well...” He hesitates. “Since you’re the closest thing Junhong has to a mother... Uh... I- we were wondering... If you’d give us your blessing... I’d like to be Junhong’s boyfriend.” I stopped chewing. Minki threw his arms around Junhong. “Hey you never told me you were gay!” he giggles, hugging his brother tightly. I swallow my mouthful of kimchi-fried rice. “Uh... I really don’t know what to say. Junhong’s a bit young for dating isn’t he?”

“Maybe a bit. I’m sorry to waste your time, Minji-ssi.” He say getting up from the table. “I should leave now.”

“Wait!” It’s Seunghyun that speaks. “Yongguk, don’t leave. Junhong might be a little bit young to date you just now, but I know you’ll be gentle with m grandson. Gosh, I sound so old! What do you say, Minji-ya? They both like each other very much, and Yongguk would never hurt our little Junhong, and if he does, he’s got me to talk to.” I look to Bom. She smiles her little cat smile. I look at Minki, Junhong’s only blood relation. “Say yes, eomma.”

“Is this what you want, Junhong?”

“Of course it is eomma. I really want to be with Yongguk.”

“Then I have no choice but to let you. I, Gong Minji, give you...”

“Bang” Yongguk fills in the gap.

“Yongguk my mothers’ blessing to date my son.”

“So, I see we have a new addition to add to our Choi/Park/Gong/Bang family.” says Bom-eomma.

“And don’t forget the ‘Lee’ part.” Says Chaerin walking through the door. One big happy family. 

"And I know one day 'Kim' will be part of it too." I say under my breath. Chaerin hears me though and shoots me a death glare. "Not gonna happen." she says. Oh it so is.