Chapter Six

Mysterious Friendship


The next morning I got a text from both Ricky and Chunji. Ricky let me know that I left my bag and to stop by anytime to pick it up. Chunji sent a text asking if we could hang out. I sent him a text back inviting him over. 
"Mom, I'm going to have my friend Chunji over," I said heading to the kitchen after getting dressed.
"You mean you aren't going to ask?"
"But, I'm 16. Do I have to ask to have friends over?"
My mom shrugged her shoulders as she finished making breakfast. She handed me my plate and we ate at the counter.
"I guess not. Now this Chunji guy..."
"Mom, I beg of you. Don't embarrass me in front of him. We will just be back in my room hanging out."
"With the door open," my said giving me a stern look.
I sighed and finished my food real quick before Chunji came. When I heard a knock, I rushed to answer before my mom did. I saw him standing there in a casual t shirt and jeans and thought he was just the cutest. 
"You must be Chunji," my mom said coming up behind me.
"Hello, it's nice to meet you," Chunji said smiling. 
He came inside and I hurried to take him to my room. 
"So this is my room," I told him as I tried to remain calm. 
Chunji was in my room. My mom could come in and embarrass me at any moment. I could just as easy embarrass myself. 
"Nice," he commented, taking a seat on my bed. 
I sat down next to him and then he turned to me.
"I tried to catch you after school yesterday but you seemed to just disappear. Where did you go?" Chunji asked.
"I was just with Ricky," I said. 
That didn't seem to make Chunji happy.
"It was just you two?" he asked.
"Yeah. We went to the hospital."
Chunji scoffed and got up from the bed. I looked at him confused and didn't get the chance to say anything before my mom came in. 
"Just wanted to remind you the door stays open," she said.
She then left leaving my door wide open. I put my head in my hands and wanted to crawl into a corner.
"Hey, my mom is even worse," Chunji said.
I looked up from my hands and laughed.
"Yeah right. How can she be worse than mine?"
"Easy," Chunji said coming back to sit next to me."My ex girlfriend wasn't even allowed back in my room. I couldn't even think about having her over when my parents were gone. She thinks she secretly chaperones my date without me knowing. At least my ex never knew."
I wanted to laugh but hearing that he had a girlfriend was the only thing that really seemed to stick with me.
"Girlfriend?" I asked.
"She dumped me because of my mom. Can your mon beat that?"
I shook my head and we both started to laugh.
"We have a winner," I said. "Your mom is... something."
We began talking about our moms and it was all fun until he mentioned his dad.
"How about your dad? What is he like with you and boys?"
I looked at my hands and shrugged.
"Wouldn't know. My mom left him when I was a baby. She tells me it's for the better."
Chunji reached out and grabbed my hand.
"Sorry about that," he said.
I looked up at him and we shared a smile.
"Even if I had a dad, I wouldn't be able to tell you what he is like with me and boys because I don't really talk to boys."
Chunji was about to say something when my mom came in announcing that lunch was prepared. Seeing our hands made my mom stop and give me a look only a mother can give. The one where you know she's about to say something embarrassing.
I took back my hand and got up from the bed.
"This is why the door stays open," she said before walking off.
I face palmed and Chunji laughed as he got up and rested his arm on my shoulder.
"My mom is worse, remember?" he said into my ear. 
My heart seemed to stop for a moment. He winked at me before heading off down the hall. I soon left my room biting back my smile. Chunji and I sat down and ate lunch. 
After lunch, we decided to walk down to his house.
"This is fun," he said.
"Yeah I'm glad we're hanging out," I told him.
I looked down at my feet as we continued to walk in silence to his house. When we were outside his house, I looked around the neighborhood and saw Changjo. 
"You know JongHyun's house is over there," Chunji said pointing to where I saw Changjo standing there looking at me. 
I started walking over there and Chunji stopped me before I reached the street.
"Where are you going?" he asked. "You can't go bug his parents."
"But..."
I pointed to where Changjo was and saw he was no longer there. I was confused as Chunji pulled me inside his house. His mom was there and eyeing us the moment we stepped inside. 
"And who is this?" She asked.
"This is ChaeYoung," Chunji answered for me. 
I was too busy thinking about Changjo. How he just disappeared. Why was he there in the first place? Chunji nudged me and I snapped out of my thoughts.
"It's very nice to meet you," I said giving her a smile.
"She seems nice," his mom said, "but you know the rules."
Chunji sighed and took me into the living room.
"This is the only place we can hang out. Mom's orders."
He the tv and it didn't take long before I was back to thinking about Changjo. I should be enjoying the moment with Chunji but I couldn't. 
I'm going to regret this.
I got up from the couch and Chunji grabbed my wrist before I could take off.
"Don't go. I'm sorry about my mom," he said.
I took a deep breath before turning back to face him.
"It's not your mom. It's just I have somewhere to be. But text me tonight if you want."
I hurried out the door and started to run to the nearest bus stop. I took the bus to the hospital and found JongHyun's room. Outside his door was Changjo.
"Don't go in there," he said standing in front of the door.
He was panicked and worried. I stared at him for a second and wondered. Was he simply there at Chunji's because he truly is a stalker? No, that couldn't be. He disappeared so fast.
"Changjo, or whoever you are, move," I ordered.
"You don't want to go in there. They took off his bandages and he doesn't look good."
I rolled my eyes as the door opened and I took a step back. My jaw dropped as I saw Changjo vanish before my eyes and I saw L.Joe standing there.
"Are you alright? You look like you saw a ghost," L.Joe said.
I just nodded and stood there in complete awe. L.Joe took my arm and led me inside and to a chair. I looked over at JongHyun and saw the bandages had indeed been taken off. Seeing the face of Changjo in the bed made me feel like I was just slapped in the face. 
"Are you sure your alright?" L.Joe asked.
I shook my head as I held it. 
"Could you get me some food from the cafeteria? I'm feeling light headed and I need some food in me." 
L.Joe rushed out and Changjo appeared in the room.
"What the heck!" I screamed at him. 
"ChaeYoung, I can explain," he said being cautious with his steps.
He tried putting his hand on my shoulder but I shoved him down to the ground.
"What are you? Who are you? Why can I see you?!"
"My name isn't really Changjo. I made that name up so you wouldn't realize who I was," he started to say as he got up from the ground. " I'm JongHyun and I'm in a coma on that bed. Yet in here in this ghost like form and so far you are the only one who can see me."
It all clicked. Why he knew everything? The reason he disappeared so quick. And also why he didn't want me hanging with the others. 
"So you didn't want me to hang out with Chunji and them because I'd figure out your a ghost?"
Hearing those words come out of me made me shiver. 
"Yes. ChaeYoung, I'm sorry for everything. I didn't want you to ever find out."
I couldn't believe what was going on. There was so much running through my mind. 
Where to begin? 

_______________
Hi there! Just wanted to say thank you to those who've subscribed. And thank you to those that commented. <3 Your comments make me happy!