What Now?

What Now?

 

Key watched as Jonghyun walked towards him, the big dinosaur smile still plastered on his face, black suit looking perfect on his muscular body, and the sun reflecting perfectly off his pearly white teeth.

He sighed. They were finally getting married. He knew they would be a good couple, he could practically imagine the nights spent laughing and sleeping in each other’s arms. They were a perfect couple.

“Key? Hey Key, snap out of it,” Jonghyun said, waving his hand in front of his blonde friend’s face.

Key snapped his eyes shut and shook his head. He couldn’t believe he had spaced out, again.

“Sorry, just thinking.”

Jonghyun smiled. “You’re always thinking.”

Key adjusted his glasses and smiled. “Yeah well, I’m good at it.”

“Anyways, Jessica says she’s ready to take the pictures, let’s start?”

Key sighed and frowned. He remembered that it wasn’t his wedding with Jonghyun. No matter how much he wanted it to be.

“What’s wrong?” Jonghyun asked, eyebrows furrowed.

Key blushed. “It’s just, well…” He paused. “Why didn’t you just hire a professional? What if I mess up the pictures? These are you and Jessica’s wedding pictures after all. They’ll be with you forever. Forever.”

“That’s why you look so down? Sheesh Key, have some confidence. I thought now that we’re all out of University that you would at least leave your awkward turtle shell. Plus, you are a professional and we’ve been best friends since we were in diapers. It has to be you.”

Key sighed. “Okay. Okay. Stop putting so much emphasis on your words.”

Jonghyun laughed. “No.

“Why you little—“

“Jonghyun! Key! Hurry up!”

Both boys turned to regard the blonde yelling at them from across the empty park.

“Coming Sica!”

Key quickly scowled before smiling. “Be right there Sica!”

Jonghyun turned back around and smiled. “I’ll help bring the camera since Taeyeon is late again.”

Key smiled and nodded. He turned back to pick up his bags, smiling sadly at the ground. All four of them had been the best of friends since high school. They were quite the oddball group. Jonghyun was the athletic, good looking guy who lead the group. Taeyeon was the dorky, sarcastic girl that brought humor to the group. Jessica was the soft-hearted princess of the group, keeping the image of the group was a hard task, or so she says. And bringing up the rear is Key; the shy nerdy boy with the awkward big glasses. He was the brains of the group, always keeping them out of trouble.

Key never thought that Jonghyun would marry Jessica. Throughout high school the two were practically at each other’s throats, arguing whenever they got the chance and constantly debating on who was better looking.

He sighed, it was supposed to be opposites attract. He was the complete opposite of Jonghyun, they were the ones who were supposed to fall in love and marry.

It was hopeless though, Key knew Jonghyun was straighter than a pole. The girls he dated in high school proved it.

“Key!”

Key snapped out of his daze, a little too late, grunting when his body collided with the giant tree. “When did that get there?”

Jessica laughed, her white wedding dress swaying softly in the breeze. “It’s been there. You were so lost in that head of yours that you didn’t see it.”

“I was thinking!”

Jonghyun smirked. “Yeah, yeah. Now let’s start taking pictures, it’s too hot to be wearing a black suit.”

“I have to set everything up first though.”

Jessica sighed. “Where’s Taeyeon when you need her?”

Key sighed. She was probably crying at home right now, the same realization that she couldn’t have who she wanted hit her hard too.

Key couldn’t believe the life he and Taeyeon had. They had both fallen for their best friends just for said best friends to end up marrying each other.

At least he had someone to cry with.

“KEY!”

Key jumped, clutching his heart. “WHAT!?”

“You spaced out again,” Jonghyun said, his laughter ringing in the air.

Key let out an awkward chuckle. “Oh. Sorry, let’s just set up so we can all go home and escape this heat.”

Jessica smiled. “Yes, let’s do that.”

 

 

“Jes-Jessie-JESKA! Jeska is-is a !”

Taeyeon gasped, her lips immediately puckering. “No! You-you-shut up. ! Jong…face person is…is a !”

Key let out a messy sob. “No! You shut up you ! Jjong is-is beautiful! Beautiful!” He yelled, dragging out the last syllable.

Taeyeon slammed her can of beer on the table. Her eyes started watering. “Key, I’m sad.”

Key continued sobbing. “Me-me, too. “ 

“Key!”

“Hm?”

“I-I-I love Jeska. I love her,” She slurred, taking another swig of her beer. “Why us Key! Why!?”

Key looked up at Taeyeon, vision shaky. “I dunno Tae, I dunno.” He hiccupped. “I love Jjong. I love Jjong a lot.”

They both looked into each other’s eyes before breaking out into tears again.

“Why Tae? Why!?”

“I dunno! Why do-why do—“

“Why do what!?”

Taeyeon sniffled. “Why do we all have blonde hair? It’s ing weird.”

Key gasped. “Hey! Don’t-don’t…don’t cuss in my apart-ment!”

“That’s not how you say it Key! Its, its ‘ahparment’”

Key sobbed. “I don’t care. I just want Jjong.”

“You know what,” Taeyeon said, getting up with shaky steps. “I’m gonna go straight to their apartment and say ‘You know what Jeska? I love you!”

She started walking to Key’s door, knocking over a few of Key’s precious belongings on the floor.

Key shot up and ran over to Taeyeon, hitting the wall a few times he caught up to her. “No! Jeska—“

“No Key! You can come with me,” She paused, swaying a bit. “Or you can stay here and be a !”

Key let out another drunken sob.

 

 

 

“You know it’s going to take years for me to even consider having with you.”

Jessica gave her nails another look, looking at Jonghyun out of the corner of her eye. “Well Jonghyun, if you haven’t noticed, you’re not exactly my type and for god’s sake, stop putting emphasis on your words.”

Jonghyun scoffed. He flopped onto the bed and his side to face Jessica. “I hate this you know.”

“I don’t exactly like it either.”

“Key has prettier hair.”

“Taeyeon is an adorable short; you on the other head are freakishly short.”

Jonghyun laughed. “Yeah well, Key is flexible. If you know what I mean.”

Jessica stopped filing her nails and laughed. “And how would you know? You never even got the balls to tell him that you’re gay, let alone head over heels in love with him.”

“Yeah well, les-be-honest, you’re not exactly Miss Honest,” Jonghyun said, nostrils flaring.

She scoffed and turned back to her nails. “We’re both screwed Jonghyun. You’ve seen how Key and Taeyeon look at each other. They’re probably screwing each other right now.”

“Don’t say it so casually Jessica. You know you’re just as hurt as I am.”

Jessica paused, shrugging she kept filing her nails.

 

 

 

“No Key! They live…uh…they live on the 1…2…15th floor! Idiot!”

Key squinted his eyes and glared at Taeyeon as he repleatedly pressed the button for the 15th floor. “Tae, you’re drunk! We, we have to—have to go back!”

“I’m fine, I’m fine.”

Key gasped when the elevator started moving. He pressed himself against the elevator wall. “Tae! It’s moving too fast!”

“Tae!?”

Key opened his eyes.

Taeyeon was sprawled on the carpeted floor, clutching it like her life depended on it.

“I know Key! I know!”

 

 

 

“Maybe we shouldn’t get married.”

Jessica scoffed. “Our parents would kill us Jonghyun.”

“Yeah but…”

“Look Jjong, Key is straight as a pole. You’ve known him since you were in diapers, you should know this already.”

They both stared at the ceiling. Both lost in thoughts of the future.

Jonghyun sighed.

“If it makes you feel better, there’s still a 1% chance that he’s not straight.”

Jonghyun chuckled. “Yeah, it does make me feel better. Same could go for Taeyeon.”

Jessica snorted. “But we’re getting married so it doesn’t matter.”

Jonghyun sighed. “Thanks for the remind—“

Bang

They both sat up.

“Jjong. Was that our door or was that the demon from Paranormal Activity?”

Jonghyun gulped. “I hope it was the door.”

 

 

 

“Ow! Why did you push me!?”

Taeyeon swung a fist at Key, missing his face by a margin. “Because you’re being a again!”

“You knock then!”

Taeyeon scowled. “Fine!”

She raised her fist and started to bang on Jonghyun’s door.

 

 

 

Jessica screamed. “Jonghyun! What if it’s a demon!”

“Jessica that was a movie!”

“Still,” She hissed.

Jonghun scowled as he walked to the door, Jessica trailing behind him. “It’s probably some drunk idiots.”

He slowed his footsteps the closer he got to the door. His fear was getting the best of him.

“Open up you dinosaur bastard!”

Jonghyun’s eyes went wide. He turned back to see Jessica with the same look.

“Taeyeon?”

 

 

 

“Tae! Let’s go!”

She shrugged Key’s hand off her shoulder. “No! Not until the dinosaur opens up.”

“Open up you dinosaur bastard!”

Key paled. “Tae!”

She turned took look at him with a sneer. “What do—“

She froze when the door opened. Two pairs of eyes looked at them in confusion.

Jonghyun spoke first. “Key? Taeyeon?”

Key gulped.

“You woman stealing son of a !”

All eyes turned to Taeyeon. Key’s eyes went wide.

“Tae!”

She leaned back, her left hand ready to punch Jonghyun in the face. Unfortunately in her drunken stupor she leaned back too far, causing her to fall backwards.

Jessica shrieked. “Taeyeon!”

She pushed past Jonghyun and kneeled down beside a disoriented Taeyeon. Jonghyun took this opportunity to give Key a glare.

“Are you two drunk?”

Key shook his head, a little too quickly, causing to sway. “Whoa, the earth is moving again.”

Jonghyun pinched the bridge of his nose. “Really Key? Really?”

Key looked at the irritation in Jonghyun’s face. His eyes started to tear up. “You’re so mean Jjong.”

“No Key. It’s late at night. You could’ve gotten hurt!”

Key continued crying, his eyes switching to Taeyeon who was slurring her words too much to understand.

“Key, don’t be like that,” Jonghyun said, reaching over and closing Key in his embrace. “You’re an emotional drunk. You know that right?”

Key nodded into Jonghyun’s shoulder.

“I love you Jeska. Marry me not that ugly dinosaur!”

Key shoved himself off Jonghyun. He kneeled next to Taeyeon in shock. “Tae!”

Jessica gasped. She dropped Taeyeon’s hands to cover .

“What? What did she say Key?”

Key looked up at Jonghyun.

“I love you Jjong! You’re mean though. You’d rather marry Jeska instead of me.”

Both Taeyeon and Key started crying, holding tightly onto each other as their world continued to sway.

Jessica and Jonghyun looked at each other, confusion and shock written on their faces.

“What now?” Jessica asked.

 

 

 

Tell me what you think. Anything that needs to be fixed eventually will be fixed. Hope you enjoyed this little one-shot that has a make-your-own-ending type of ending^^

~Bug/Okashii/Snacks