Chapter 4

Peter Pan - The Daragon Version

            Neverland throbbed with life as the girls crept after Dragon into the Never forest, which took up the majority of Neverland. Freckles of sunshine dotted the forest floor, along with purple toadstools and orange mushrooms. Creatures quivered under the leaves, before quickly scuttling away as the children nearly crushed them under their feet.

            “The Never forest is alive today,” remarked Dragon. Whether that was a warning or a mere comment, the girls did not know.

            The trees were alive, that was for sure. Some were giants, towering over the rest, stretching their arms to the sky; others were teeny saplings, newly-emerged from the earth. The trees bent their trunks towards each other mysteriously, rustling all the while, as if they were tapping each other’s shoulders, whispering into each other’s ears about the two newcomers. Dara gawked up at them in amazement, and they, sensing her gaze, immediately straightened. Dragon ducked as a pair of brilliant blue wings flashed over his head. The girls turned around instantly to get a glimpse, but all they saw a newly opened hole in the canopy, as if something had burst through it into the sky.

            “This is all very exciting,” whispered Bom.

            “Where are we going, Dragon?” Dara asked.

            “To where I live with the Lost Boys. I’m bringing you to meet them.” Dragon hopped skillfully over a large log, and the girls clambered after him.

            “But where do you live?”

            “You’ll see. It’s right ahead.”

            They came up to a ring of trees with a curtain of feather-like leaves hanging down from their branches. Dragon pushed them aside and the trees withdrew their leaves obediently.

            Bom peered around to see a wide, short, twisted tree, with gigantic roots stretching outwards. One hollow branch sticking out from the side served as a chimney.

            “This old thing?” She was unimpressed.

            Dragon scowled. “It’s not even as old as some of the other Never trees!”

            “Yeah,” scoffed Bom. “It’s not even as big, either.”

            “Don’t let’s quarrel, Bom,” Dara tugged at Bom’s sleeve.

            Dragon grinned. “Hmph! I figure I’d better just invite sweet little Dara in and leave Bom outside to fend for herself.”

            “Please don’t!” Bom clung onto the Dara, her face taking on one of fear.

            “We would be most interested in seeing your beautiful house, Dragon.” tried Dara, secretly pleased by Dragon’s rare compliment. But not too pleased.

            Dragon shrugged, and then he looked serious. “I’ll let you in, but you’ll have to promise not to tell anyone how to get into the house.”

            “We promise,” the girls said loyally.

            “You swear?”

            They looked uncomfortable. “It’s dreadfully wicked to swear, Dragon.”

            Dragon laughed. “You don’t have to say any bad words. Here,” he raised a hand, and placed the other one across his heart. “Do this, and close your eyes. Repeat after me.”

            “Repeat after me.” echoed the girls.

            “I swear upon my honor, I swear upon the day. I swear upon Neverland where all is far away.” chanted Dragon, his voice sounding more serious and lacking the merriness he had when he first sang to the girls. The girls felt a thrill run through them as they repeated after him solemnly.

“That if I ever let my tongue
Betray my heart and mind;
The Never trees around my lips
Their branches shall entwine.”

            The sinister chant sent shivers down their spine, but they continued, trusting Dragon completely.

“If I ever speak not the truth
Or speak it to a foe;
Let the Never waters flood me
With pain and all due woe.

God blessed the entrance to my master’s trust
And its secret will not unfold;
But if my tongue runs wild and free
Then I shall run no more.

I hereby pledge my heart and soul
To he who stands in front;
And if I ever wrong my master
His dagger in me may plunge.

I swear upon my honor,
I swear upon the night;
Bring me into my master’s trust
And may he shed me light.”

            “And may he shed me light,” finished the girls.

            “Don’t open your eyes,” warned Dragon’s voice from behind them. His hands firmly pushed them forward and a door shut behind them. The air was musty and the ground was soft. Where were they? Ought they open their eyes?

            “Roaring raspberries!”

            Their eyes flew open. They were inside! And now the tree looked simply humongous. Dragon leaned by a fireplace, smiling. Before the girls stood a row of 4 gawking boys.

            “Roaring raspberries!” repeated the first one.

            “Dribbling donuts!” the second cried.

            “Lord tickles my toes!” exclaimed the third.

            “Oh, by Billy’s bones,” groaned the last one.

            “IT’S A GIRL!” They chorused.

            “Two girls,” corrected Dragon, holding up 2 fingers. “There are 2 of them.”

            “TWO GIRLS!” repeated the boys.

            Bom giggled at the interesting greeting. Dara peered about the room. The floor was mossy and curtains of leaves fluttered gently by 2 windows. Furniture was fashioned out of wood and carpets out of skins. Dara was standing on one herself. She quickly got off.

            “Yes, we are in fact 2 girls.” Bom replied politely, holding out a hand for a handshake. The boys stared at it, stared at each other, and copied her. Bom giggled, amused.

            Dragon chuckled, and then changed his tone. “Address them as sisters. Now!” He commanded.

            Obediently, the four boys stamped their left legs, straightened, and saluted the girls. “Pleased to meet you, sisters!” Then their hands retreated to their waist and they bowed.

            Bom did a curtsy. “Pleased to meet you too.”

            Dara, still in a daze, studied the dimly-lit room. Fur skins and clothing hung neatly in a row along one wall, bows and arrows on another. A winding staircase cut out from the tree led all the way past the ceiling.

            Dragon cleared his throat. “Dara?”

            “Oh!” Dara started, smiled and did a curtsy as well. “Pleased to meet you too, brothers.”

            Dragon got up and laid his hands on the first child’s shoulders. “This is Ri, the smallest of the family.” Ri looked 9 and had short, slightly curling black hair.

            Dragon moved on. “This one,” he tapped a boy about 10 with brown hair and small, twinkling eyes. “Is Dae.”

            “Mr How’s-the-weather-up-there,” Dragon peeped over the shoulders of the tallest in the group. “Is Tabi.” He looked 12, same as Dragon, and had big, staring, but nonetheless friendly eyes.

            “Bae here,” Dragon patted the last boy approvingly. “Is our ‘family doctor’.” Bae was about 12 as well.

            Now Dragon playfully slipped his arms around the shoulders of the girls. They stumbled, a little embarrassed. “Left one’s Bom and right one’s Dara!”

            “HAIR-LOW!” the boys chorused cheerfully.

            “Hello.” Dara giggled.

 

Writer’s note: Lololol. It's still kinda boring, right? Will put up Part 2 of this chapter soon.