A book, a touch, a ring

An Open Book

 

“Rosaline?” 

 

You were frozen to your spot, unable to move.

 

Wait Rosie, why are you so scared? He's probably just a student in your class, you are at the school library after all. Geez.

 

“Do I know you?” You questioned. 

 

The stranger began to walk towards you. His feet shuffling on the ground with every step he took. Coming to a stop in front of you, you could feel his warm breath on your cheek as he spoke,

 

“Well I don't know, why don't you find out?” 

 

Taking your hand, he brought it up to his face. Dragging your hand over his cheeks, eyes, nose, and mouth, you began to come to know who might be this familiar stranger. Cracking a smile, you brushed your hands through his hair,

 

“Kris.”

 

“Oh, so you do remember me?” He mocked.

 

Placing your hands back at your side, you threw back something you hoped he would chew on, “Well it's hard to forget a face like yours,”

 

Kris suddenly smirked.

 

“Seeing as it's like a brick with no emotion.” You finish, smiling at your own comment. 

 

Frowning a bit, Kris brought his right hand up and ran his fingers through your hair. Your breath hitched in your throat.

 

“I see you let your hair grow out. It looks good.”

 

Like every other girl out in the world, you blushed at the compliment. Swatting at his hand, you quickly thought of a reply, though a bit fazed, 

 

“So what brings you to the Seoul University library so late at night?”

 

“I told you already, it's because I'm busy during the day.”

 

Oh yeah he did didn't he?

 

Mentally hitting yourself, you thought of something else,

 

“Well, why out of every section did you choose the self-improvement section?”

 

“An idol has to be able to represent themselves as best as they can, so I don't want to let down my fans.” He calmly replied.

 

Of course he would answer like that. Always perfect isn't he.

 

“Well since your here, you see the third shelf from the top?” You motioned with a nudge of your head.

 

Taking a step away from you, he went over to the shelf as you continued,

 

“See the," You thought for a bit hoping it was the right place, “seventh book over, I think that will help you quite a bit.” You sternly said, inwardly trying to keep from chucking.

 

Glancing back at you once more and seeing as you had a poker face, he did what you told him. Taking his hand and dragging it over 7 books, he pulled out a thick book covered in a bit of dust. Turning the book in his hands, he glanced at the title and read it aloud,

 

“Face expression exercises for dummies.”

 

You couldn't take it, you immediately started chuckling,

 

“They actually make books like this? Isn't it a bit offensive?” He scoffed, looking back to find you with your hand to your face which was now all red,

 

“Not if the person who is reading it is clueless.” You retorted unable to keep yourself from laughing.

 

“Ha ha very funny.” He placed the book back on the shelf. 

 

“Well I'm sorry, I thought it was funny considering you never smile.” You smiled trying to lighten the mood.

 

“I do smile actually, all the time.” He stated, going back to his self if not grinning.

 

“Well not around me apparently.” You huffed, crossing your arms.

 

“Not yet.” He whispered, you unable to hear. 

 

Unfolding you arms, you began to fan yourself with your hand hoping it would cool you down, the laughter dying as you began to randomly think.

 

“Is it ok if we sit down? I have been standing a lot today.” He questioned, breaking your thoughts.

 

“Oh sure, the tables are this way.” You said, as you began to walk forward until you felt a hand grab your wrist.

 

Scratching the back of his neck with his free hand, he sheepishly said, “Actually I was wondering if we could just sit in the isle.”

 

“Oh, um.. ya sure I guess.” You replied turning back around.

 

His hand was still on your wrist. You began to sit, placing yourself back against the shelf and plopped down onto the ground. Kris did the same and to your dismay released your wrist. Once sitting down, he began shuffling a bit to make himself comfortable. 

 

“So why the isle and not a table?” You asked, teasing a bit.

 

“I have always just wanted to sit in an isle late at night like in the movies and just....be.” You couldn't really tell if he was serious or joking, so you just nodded your head up and down.

 

Of course that's why you came to the library at night, to be alone. 

 

“I have been meaning to ask, why are you at the library this late at night?" He asked his face facing foward, but looking at you through the corner of his eyes.

 

“I help out every Tuesday and Thursday shelving books and making copies.” You honestly answered.

 

There was nothing really to it, nothing intresting or exciting ever happend, well that is until today.

 

“Aren't you afraid to be alone, the librarian herself isn't even here.”

 

“Not really.” You stated truthfully. 

 

“I like being able to come here without the stares and the whispers, being able to sit down in some corner and rest my head on the shelf and just think.”  You began to speak, bringing your knees up, resting your arms on top of them,

 

“Think about how it would be during the day. Students coming and going, some with their heads buried in a book, cramming for their exam in an hour, some with their friends laughing and making jokes while Mrs. Sung the librarian tells them to be quiet, and some by themselves sitting at one of the tables pretending to read as they glance over the top of their book watching the person they like.” At this you smiled.

 

You wished you could watch the person you liked secretly.

 

"I hope this isn't rude to ask, but what is it like? Being unable to see."

 

"There's really no way to describe it. It's actually no description at all because all you see is blackness. You dont get to see shapes, colors, faces and then close your eyes to rest, then open your eyes and see everything once more. Every time you open your eyes or blink it's still black, unwavering and never ending black. Trust me I have tried many times to blink hoping that maybe something might change, but no it's still the same."

 

You didnt want to really kill the mood so you quickly added,

 

"But it's not all that bad. You don't get to see people get sick, or leave you, or die. You just feel it and get a sense that they are not there anymore, it actually helps sometimes when you want to forget something."

 

"Yeah, but don't you ever wonder what it's like to know what colors look like, or what people look like, to see art and people dance, a movie?"

 

"But then that's what makes everyone so simple minded and materialistic. They think things have to look a certain way, whether it be a product, or a person. When someone creates art as their way to express themself, there is always someone who has to hate it. When speaking about a topic, there is always someone who disagrees. Situations now and days are based on how something is represented. Take relationships for example, it's based on outer beauty rather then inner beauty, and idols just like you. If you were not as good looking as you were, do you think people would like you just as much? They don't care if you have talent. No. Now you have to have talent and look like what everyone wants you to look like. You have to be skinnier, prettier, ier, more fit, it's not enough to be yourself anymore and that's why I am glad I don't get to see." You found yourself out of breath, too into the conversation.

 

You thought maybe you had said too much but Kris just simply stated,

 

“For someone who isn't able to see you are quite observant.” 

 

“I guess so.” You shrugged.

 

You both sat there silently.

 

Suddenly you felt Kris's hand grip your shoulder,

 

“Kris is something wrong?”

 

“Not really the lights just went out all of a sudden, so I was a bit surprised.”

 

“Probably Mrs.Sung thinking I left. She must have left herself and turned out the lights.”

 

“Wait, if she left, doesn't that mean we are locked in?”

 

“Yeah, why?”

 

“Aren't you supposed to jumping up, running to the doors, banging on them, freaking out?”

 

“No, who would do such a silly thing?”

 

“Every other normal human being.”

 

“Well first of all, I am not like everyone else,”

 

“That's for sure.” He scoffed.

 

“Hey.” You whacked his arm

 

“Second, I have a key.” You stated, taking out the key from your pocket and dangling it so that Kris could hear the noise.

 

“Oh.”

 

“You want me to go turn on the lights” You asked ready to get up.

 

Kris quickly sat you back down,

 

“No, its alright. I want to know what it feels like to go through what you go through even if its just for a bit.”

 

You just sat there not knowing what to say. No one has ever wanted to know what you went through, usually they just laughed and would make jokes about running into things.

 

“I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but is it ok if I do what you did to me? You know the hand on face thing.”

 

Still speechless you just nodded with a light,

 

”Sure.”

 

Turning, Kris and you sat criss cross facing each other, your knees resting against one another.

 

“Is there like a technique to this or do I just rub my hands all over your face?”

 

“I do not do that, you just brush you fingers over their skin lightly trying to remember their bone structure.”

 

Bringing up his hand hesitantly, he placed his palm on your cheek and you found yourself unconsciously sigh, liking how his calloused hands felt. Kris closing his eyes began to drag his fingers over your face. He traced over your eyes lightly, trying not to stab you, your nose, and your lips, which were soft to the touch. Dragging his hand lightly through your hair, which just fell through his fingertips, he placed his palms one again on your cheeks, his thumb going back and fourth across your skin. You smiled and so did Kris, not that you could tell. 

 

“You know you are very beautiful.”

 

You were glad it was pitch black, thanking that he couldn't see your face turn beet red. Feeling his hands fall off your face you were saddened at the lost of the heat which radiated off his hands. Coughing, you both went back to sitting side by side. Your shoulders brushing against each other.

 

“How's everything with Exo going?” You quickly asked not wanting the scene to turn awkward.

 

“We've been so busy lately with performing, interviews, and signings.”

 

“Gosh that sounds so, tiring.”

 

Well it did.

 

“Yeah it is, but that's what we have to do, getting injuries, throat pains, and surviving crazy fangirls is just what fame comes with. But it's all worth it.”

 

“I hope so.” 

 

“Is someone a bit worried about me” He teased. 

 

“Yah! Who wouldn't be. It sounds like too much. Companies are so focused on popularity these days they sometimes forget about the people who work for them, you guys are humans, you need rest too.”

 

You felt something rest on your right shoulder and it turned out to be Kris's head.

 

“True, but being able to see fans who look up to you and root for you, being able to see your song be downloaded by millions of people, and getting to perform for them as they smile and sing along. Their happiness weighs a lot more then any pain I have felt.”

 

You didn't know how to reply to that. So you just rested your head back on the shelf and closed your eyes. 

 

“Kris.”

 

“Yes?”

 

“You know your a lot more caring then you come off to be, why don't you show that?”

 

“Well it's not like the fans get to sit and chat with me like we are now, so all they know me by is my image.”

 

“Kris.”

 

“Yes Rosaline?”

 

“Well then I am glad that I have been able to chat with you like this.” You stated closing your eyes as they drifted shut.

 

“Me too.” He whispered slowly closing his own eyes.

 

Silence took over once again as your head drooped to one side, ending up slightly resting on Kris's own head, as you both drifted into slumber.

 

______

 

Morning

 

Shuffling a bit, Kris felt sunshine hit his face. Stretching, he forgot for a moment where he was, until memories of last night flooded his mind. Fluttering his eyes open, he saw your face peacefully asleep, the sun grazing over you and in his eyes you looked like an angel. Staring at you for a couple of minutes, he caught a glance of a clock in his peripheral vision. Getting a good look at the time, he cursed under his breath. They were going to kill him, especially his manager. Being careful to not wake you up, he took his head off your shoulder, you head slouching from the loss of support. Carefully adjusting you, Kris began to stand up. Stretching, he glanced to you. He didnt want to just leave you and not say goodbye or give you something so that you knew last night really happend. He glanced to you and then at his hand where his ring of his flight symbol laid, before pulling it off and crouching in front of you. Taking your hand in his, he slid the ring on your hand and placed your hand lightly back by your side. Getting up, he made his way to the double doors, taking his hand out to push the doors open, but they didn't budge. Of course, there locked. He then saw a lady make his way towards him, so he stepped back assuming that she was probably the librarian. Unlocking the door she shuffled in looking up and surprised to see a young man,

 

“Oh my gosh. You scared me. Why are you here?”

 

“Actually I'm kinda in a hurry, but thanks for opening the door.”

 

Confused, the librarian watched as he walked around her, out the door, and began to run away. What a weird young boy she thought shrugging her shoulders and walking through the library, coming to a stop when she saw you asleep in one of the isles. Walking up to you worried she shook you, shifting as you begun to wake up.

 

You felt someone shake you and you quickly shot your eyes opened remembering what happened last night. You couldn't believed you fell asleep, clutching your hands through your hair you pleaded,

 

“Oh my gosh, Kris I am sooo sorry I did not mean to fall asleep.”

 

“Who's Kris?” You heard a women say. 

 

“Oh you mean that young man who left quite awhile ago? He gave me quite a fright when I opened the door. He seemed to be in a hurry.”

 

You groaned,


How could you do that?

 

You pulled your hand out of your hair until something caught. Confused, you brought out your hand and felt something attached to your hand.

 

"Oh darling, what an intresting ring."

 

What ring? 

 

Feeling over it, you felt a bedazzled dragon symbol, and you felt a smile take over your face. No words could describe what had happened. You sat there with a dumb smile plastered on your face, reminiscing last night, while Mrs.Sung just looked at you, lost in your own world. Shrugging she went back to the window. Taking her hand she took hold of the sign hanging in front,

 

Flipping it from Closed to Open.