A once empty library

An Open Book

 

Moments turn into memories as one tries not forget it. Winter turns into spring, spring turns into summer, and you find yourself going back to your normal pattern. Its been 8 months since that fateful day of meeting Exo, and you are now living everyday as it once was. You have been going to school and have now gotten really good at Korean. You know a bit more about the culture, but you wouldn't call yourself a local anytime soon. Recently, you have been studying for your exams and find yourself spending more and more time at the library, but that's normal for a college student.

 

Right?

 

When feeling down, or confronted with a problem, you found yourself putting on that sweatshirt you got from Chanyeol at night as you fell asleep and every time you woke up, you were able to solve that problem. With the stress of exams, you found yourself wearing it alot more recently. A couple of times you even wore it to the library, falling asleep in one of the isles with a book in hand and the other clutched onto the hem of the fabric. Now, one is probably thinking, why does a person who can't read go to the library? Well luckily they have a special section in the library for people like you, and now that you have a customized laptop that Kimmie, gotta love that girl, got you which has braille, enabling you to write. After memorizing were each key was, you have been able to type non-stop, making your life a whole lot easier, and the perfect place, the library to study at.

 

Sometimes when at home you found yourself thinking about that day. You would be sitting at the counter in the kitchen, wondering if they remember you. Probably not because their so busy, but maybe, just maybe they did, because you were different. Sometimes, you would lean on your window sill hoping maybe it would snow again, but that was practically impossible since it was mid June. You took school year around because you loved school. You loved learning about new things and lecturing other students about what you knew. A lot of the teachers here asked you to assist them at times, and you found yourself talking in front of more and more people. It wasn't that you like the attention or opened up more, but you liked the fact that you got to teach others. Maybe someday you might even become a teacher.

 

Your main major was business though. You talked to companies, reviewed products, and stated your opinion through columns and blogs. You couldn't decide what you liked better, so for the mean time you did both. Kimmie was busy getting her degree in fashion, who would have known... And she insisted that you be her guinea pig when it came to new outfits she designed or put together. You didn't mind though, for all that she did for you, you could do this one small favor. Since you danced after school you usually went to the library late at night. You liked the library at night, it was much more peaceful and the librarian was super nice. She knew you quite well and because of that she would usually let you stay after closing time while everyone else was filled out. She helped you find books on certain topics and you helped her organize books once in a while, or make copies for her. She grew to you and you to her, becoming a bit more yourself around her as time went on.  

_______________

 

The bell chimed, signaling the end of Advanced Western Economics class and for that you were thankful. Today you had to give a speech stating how the economy in America has changed and how that effected people from the higher class, the working class, and those who are unemployed. You didn't find the topic all that hard and you found yourself talking easily, but your throat still hurt from talking so much and how many students were really paying attention? Not many. You didn't need to see to hear sighs and coughs and yawns, they were students after all and they didn't like when other students taught them, especially ones that were different. Besides, you couldn't wait to hang out with Kimmie, its been too long even if it was just small chat in between classes. You decided to meet her at the local coffee shop down the street. Gabbing your books and walking stick you exited class and directed yourself south, walking down the thankfully uncrowded hallways until you heard that very familiar voice calling you,

 

“Rosiee, over here.” Kimmie beamed waving her hands in the air as if you could actually see them.

 

This was always a habit of hers, but you didn't mind, at times it made you even smile. She was just so childish.

 

“Hey girl, I haven't seen you in forever. How did that, what was it a speech, you had today go?” She asked as you sat down, folding your walking stick as she handed you a cup of your favorite, plain black coffee.

 

You didnt understand why people thought it was too strong, to you it was pretty sweet and natural.

 

“It would have went perfect if half the students actually bothered to stay awake.” You huffed, taking a gulp of coffee.

 

It irked you that students were not paying attention and didn't even bother to hide their boredom. It's not like you just threw the presentation together, they don't even know how long you prepared for that presentation. Which in fact was a long time.

 

“Well you know how students are, even I find myself falling asleep during History class. It is sooo boring.” Kimmie stated, exagerating the last part as if she was a great student herself.

 

“Wow, who would have known?” You whispered sarcastically.

 

You knew her habits. She always falls asleep in class, every since you could remember she didn't really try. That is except for when it came to designing.

 

“Yah! I'm sorry that I don't find history or really any class all that interesting, besides I think your the only one I know who likes waking up at 7 am in the morning just to hear a teacher lecture for 3 hours straight.” Changing the topic like she always does, she quickly began to smile,

 

“Besides guess what!” She exclaimed, grabbing your hands.

 

“What?” Geez, you knew she got happy quickly, but she was holding you in one of her death grips again, she must be really excited.

 

“I, your amazingly talented friend, Kimmie has been selected to appear in a featured article in Dream Design Magazine as a upcoming, young, new designer!!!!” She bellowed throwing your arms up and down from excitement.

 

“Oh my gosh Kim Kim that's amazing!!” You replied.

 

And it was.

 

You knew how long your friend had been reading that magazine hoping to make it in there. She would tell you that once you made it in their magazine you would become huge, and she was very determined, which you didn't see often. She came home late at night from her job as an apprentice at some local sowing shop and at times stayed up all night thinking and drawing new designs. You could even hear her sometimes in her sleep mumbling out sizes and colors.

 

“Congratulations, when's the interview?” You happily asked squeezing back your friends hands.

 

“Next tuesday, and I KNOW, we have to celebrate. Your best friend is going to become famous soon.” With this, you immediately thought of something.

 

“Yes fashion queen Kimmie. How may I be at your service?” You began teasing her in an overly proper tone.

 

“Would you like some of this famous coffee, since your also famous now? It is home grown.” Picking up the cup of coffee, you modeled it as if you were about to sell it for an info commercial.

 

“Look at this fine China, I bet only people such as yourself of high nature and beauty would be able to drink out of this. It just screams sophistication.” You cooed.

 

“Har Har, very funny. No need to mock me, once I become well known, I will be able to make you butter pecan pancakes every morning, but I guess not”.

 

Dang it. She knew those pancakes were your weakness. How cruel.

 

“Anyways I have to start heading out. I have to go get groceries or else we will starve and I have to pick up fabric at Jung Jungs. Trust me, if I am even a minute late she will have my head.” She sheepishly said while practically chugging her tea down, she wasn't much of a coffee person.

 

“I know this was short, but we will catch up later, K.” She began to collect her things and place them in her bag as she stood up.

 

“Kay, I'll meet you at home late tonight. I have to help out at the library.”

 

“Oh yeah you help the librarian on Tuesdays and Thursdays right? That's nice of you. Well gotta go, get some design books for me, K.” She shouted while walking backwards.

 

“Will do.” You yelled back as her footsteps faded.

 

You sat there for a bit, drinking coffee and just thinking. After a while, you took out your walking stick and breathed out a heavy sigh. Pushing your chair back, you got up from your chair and asked the lady who worked there which way the library was. Walking until you came to a familiar set of double doors.

 

Stepping into the cool building which was practically empty by now you made your way over to Mrs. Sung's, the librarians desk.

 

Upon seeing you she greeted you with a, “Why hello Rosaline, how have you been?”

 

She was very kind in your opinion.

 

“Quite alright Mrs. Sung and yourself?” You gestured as you placed your hands at the side of the table.

 

“Why the same child. Though today seemed to have more pestering students than usual.”

 

You chuckled at this, “Is there anything you need me to do?”

 

“Ah, yes my dear, would you be as so kind to take these books and pile them on the second to last shelf over by the Biography section.”

 

“Of course.” You answered.

 

She pushed you a cart and walked to the back room leaving you alone. You knew this library like the back of your hand. There was a split, containing two areas. On the right was for textbooks and on the left was for everyday books that people could read on the side, for example there is fictional books, biographies, fantasy and magazines. Pushing the cart with a bunch of books over 7 isles you came to stop in front of the cultural section. Walking down the isle you felt around for an empty shelf. You didn't have to do much since the books were already in order, so all you had to do was place them on the shelf. Feeling that you were in the right place, hopefully, you began to place the books one at a time. Grazing your hands over each cover, you felt yourself at ease. That was until you heard some shuffling coming from a couple isles over. You stopped, a book in hand and listened. There was nothing, maybe it was just because you are tired. You began to go back to what you were doing, but then you heard it again and this time it was a lot lauder. Putting down the book you were currently holding, you walked to the end of the isle and stuck your head out, like that would help you any. You crept along, dragging your hands across each shelf, drifting yourself towards the noise. You found yourself going over 3 isles and was now standing in front of what you knew was the self improvement section,

 

“Um, excuse me, we-were closed.” You stuttered, a bit wary to not knowing who was there.

 

If there was someone there.

 

You didn't get a reply so you decided to speak up a bit. Clearing your throat you stated once again, but this time a bit louder, “Excuse me, I'm sorry, but we are kinda closed.”

 

“Oh, I'm sorry I didn't know,” You heard a young man say apologetically.

 

He was still looking at his book not really bothering to look up.

 

“I really can't come here during the day, so I come here at night, I guess I just lost track of time.” He said flipping the pages, scanning through.

 

You didn't know why, but this voice sounded familiar. You couldn't place it though. And for some reason it kept bugging you.

 

“Well if you wouldn't mind, is it ok if you leave?” You didn't want to sound rude but you didn't really know this person and Mrs. Sung wasn't well, very aware.

 

“Oh yes of course.” The man said.

 

Slowly closing his book he placed it back on the shelf and began to walk towards you, bringing his head up, he finally looked at you and stopped. You didn't know what was happening, it sounded like he was walking, ready to leave and he just... stops.

 

“Rosaline?” It came out as more of a question, but you immediately tensed, as shock ran down your spine, jolting you.