Chapter 30.

Best friends with Royalty

Chapter 30: Homeward Bound


"It looks the same."

Baekhyun stepped foot into his old dwelling and brushed his fingers against the adobe walls. He felt Chanyeol enter the house behind him, a dull thud sounding as Chanyeol lightly dropped Baekhyun's bags onto the floor. He had insisted upon accompanying Baekhyun home, even though Baekhyun told him quite firmly that he could handle himself and that Chanyeol should probably return to the Palace.

"I don't want to risk you running away," Chanyeol had said, laughter filtering through his voice, though his eyes were serious.

Baekhyun had shrugged in reply and didn't comment on Chanyeol's arm laying protectively on his arm.

Baekhyun thought that he wouldn't have liked Chanyeol's coddling--would've found it annoying and invasive--but it turned out that he appreciated it, in an odd way. It was nice having Chanyeol around again, after the seven month absence. Something about his life felt right, like the last piece of a puzzle had finally clicked into place.

"You haven't been away for that long," Chanyeol said, nudging his way past Baekhyun and bumping shoulders.

He immediately bounded to the living room couch and sprawled across it, taking up the entire expanse as he beamed at Baekhyun with a goofy grin decorating his face. Baekhyun rolled his eyes, but couldn't stop the small upturn of his lips. Chanyeol's happiness was contagious, and it spread like an airborne virus--infecting each and every person in the vicinity. Baekhyun was already much too vulnerable to his smile.

Baekhyun dragged his bags to his bedroom, noticing that everything had been exactly as he'd left it. That would've been natural, for he lived alone, if it weren't for the lack of dust. He wiped the edge of his desk curiously, watching his finger come off clean.

"I had them clean your house every week."

Baekhyun spun around at Chanyeol's voice, stumbling back when he realized Chanyeol was only less than a feet away from him. Taking in Baekhyun's wide eyes and stiff shoulders, Chanyeol took a step back, giving him a little breathing space. Baekhyun was thankful for the small action, though he didn't miss the small furrow in his brows--the small, conspicuous indication that though Chanyeol was the last puzzle piece to Baekhyun's life, Baekhyun had rejected him. He had altered his puzzle, drawn further and further into himself before ultimately locking Chanyeol out.

"T-thank you," Baekhyun bit out, throat tight. "That's very nice of you."

Chanyeol smiled. Baekhyun's eyes widened.

Suddenly, he was overwhelmed by the sudden maturity of the smile. The smile he had associated with Chanyeol was bright and unrestrained, almost immoderate. It broke across his face and seemed to light up his entire being, and the atmosphere around it.

But it seems that more and more frequently, Chanyeol had began pasting on a different smile--a more accepting one. Less brilliant, but just as intense--not with the cheerfulness it holds, but with the meaning behind such a small gesture. It was unfamiliar to Baekhyun, and he began to wonder if perhaps the world around him had continued to spin at a rapid pace, while he, in his little seaside village, was stationary in a phase of tranquil satisfaction.

For a moment, he felt nauseously homesick, yearning for his small cottage and for the salty smell of the ocean.

"Baekhyun?"

Baekhyun's head shot up, looking at Chanyeol. "Yes?"

"Do you want to say hello to Kyungsoo and Jongin?" Chanyeol laughed. "Kyungsoo had to take over your duties when you were gone and he hasn't stopped complaining since."

Baekhyun grinned, imaging the frazzled look on Kyungsoo's face. "Yeah, I can totally see that. Are they at the palace right now?"

Chanyeol nodded and gestured to the door. "Shall we go?"

He led Baekhyun out of his room and to the front door once more. Just before Baekhyun stepped outside however, he suddenly paused and grabbed Baekhyun's arm. Baekhyun turned around, alarmed, only to see that Chanyeol had again, moved to a proximity much too close to be comfortable.

Chanyeol was silent, and he leaned in until his breath was tickling the slopes of Baekhyun's cheeks. Baekhyun held his breath, heart pounding at a speed that he swore was not healthy, and he waited motionless for whatever Chanyeol was going to do.

It was almost as if Chanyeol could sense his pulse. Baekhyun could see the signs of a small, amused smile on Chanyeol's lips, and knew that his cheeks must be crimson by now.

Almost as if he was teasing Baekhyun, Chanyeol leaned even closer, lips hovering above Baekhyun's, before finally he made a detour and whispered, "I'm glad you're back," into Baekhyun's ear.

He chuckled, the sound low and rumbling and giving Baekhyun chills down his back, and out of impulse, lightly nipped Baekhyun's ear and pulled away.

When he finally leaned back, there was a look of complacency on his face, almost mocking Baekhyun's burning cheeks. They stood there for a couple of minutes, Chanyeol surveying his handiwork. Then, suddenly, Chanyeol began to laugh--ripples of gasps shaking his entire body as he bent over to clutch at his stomach.

Baekhyun scowled, terribly unamused, and that only made Chanyeol laugh even harder.

"C-come on. Let's go; they're probably waiting for us," Chanyeol choked out, trying with little effort to reign in his laughter.

 

---

 

As they neared the Palace, Baekhyun began to feel excited. He hadn’t seen Kyungsoo in forever, and he was looking forward to the reunion. They had exchanged a few e-mails in the first few months of Baekhyun’s leave, but business seemed to have gotten the better of the two.

“By the way, don’t freak out when you see Jongin,” Chanyeol remarked casually, glancing at Baekhyun from the side of his eye.

“Why? What happened?”

“He dyed his hair blonde.”

There was a hint of laughter underlying Chanyeol’s words and Baekhyun wondered what he had missed out on.

“Don’t worry,” Chanyeol said quickly, sensing Baekhyun’s unease. “Kyungsoo will fill you in. Maybe. Or maybe Jongin will.” He smiled gently. “I don’t think it’s my place.”

Baekhyun nodded, sitting up since they were pulling up in the Palace Garage.

“Does Kyungsoo know I’m back?” He asked as the two of them made their way to the main hallways.

“Nope. I thought it might be better if you surprised him,” Chanyeol replied.

Baekhyun gave a small, nervous laugh. “That’s assuming he doesn’t beat me up.”

Chanyeol raised an eyebrow at Baekhyun’s solemn expression and shrugged. “Well, just so you know, I’m betting on Kyungsoo.” He eyed Baekhyun’s form in mock seriousness. “You two are the same size, but Kyungsoo’s definitely stronger.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes and punched Chanyeol in the shoulder, grinning at the way he yelped and tried to jump away. Chanyeol clutched his arm in exaggerated pain and moaned.

“Baekhyuuuun, I think you broke my shoulder!” He whined, trudging behind Baekhyun as they maneuvered through the hallways to Kyungsoo’s office. “I’m going to charge you for assault.”

He sniffled when Baekhyun merely turned around and reached up to pat him on the head, a teasingly patronizing smile decorating his features.

“There there. Do you need me to kiss it better?”

Baekhyun was surprised by the words he had said. They seemed to have slipped out on their own, and for a moment, he froze and prayed that he could take those words back.

Chanyeol, though, seemed to have taken it all in stride, and to prevent Baekhyun from his embarrassment, said, “Nah,” he pouted, “I don’t want a meanie kissing my boo-boo better.”

Baekhyun relaxed at Chanyeol’s words and rolled his eyes once more.

“I can’t believe the Emperor acts like a five-year-old,” he stated as he knocked on the door to Kyungsoo’s office.

There was a pause, and then a soft voice that said Come in, and Baekhyun took a deep breath before he pushed open the heavy office door.

 

---

 

If Baekhyun was to be truly honest with himself, he was really, really nervous. He hadn’t seen Kyungsoo in over half a year, and they had never spent so long away from each other. He didn’t know what to say to him, nor did he know what Kyungsoo would say to him. He didn’t even know if they were supposed to fall back into their friendly routine, or if they were supposed to ease back to it.

In fact, what if Kyungsoo’s life had changed so much during his absence, and there wasn’t a place for Baekhyun anymore?

Chanyeol had changed—minute differences that accumulated into an enormous juggernaut. Who could say Kyungsoo hadn’t?

There was nothing more Baekhyun could do now, however. He had already pushed open the door, and he could feel Chanyeol’s hand on the small of his back, prompting him into the room.

He stumbled into the middle of the office, nervous eyes meeting Kyungsoo’s wide ones. Kyungsoo stood up so quickly he knocked over a can of pens.

“Baekhyun?” He whispered, almost as if his voice at any volume louder would dissipate Baekhyun’s very being.

“Hey,” Baekhyun tried. “I’m back.”

Kyungsoo didn’t reply and merely stared at him, glancing from him, to Chanyeol, then to him. His blank expression and silent composure scared Baekhyun. Baekhyun’s nails were digging into his palms as he clenched his fist, waiting for Kyungsoo to say something. He felt Chanyeol move to his side and grip at his arm, the pressure steadying him.

Suddenly, Kyungsoo walked around the desk and towards Baekhyun. His expression was tight when he reached him, and he reeled back his arm and—

“Ow, what the ?!”

Baekhyun stared at Kyungsoo and the fist that had just connected with his left cheek. Kyungsoo leaned closer again, and Chanyeol moved to step between them, but Kyungsoo pushed him away.

He wrapped his arms around Baekhyun, pulling him in for a large hug.

“That was for leaving us for such a freaking long time,” he murmured angrily into Baekhyun’s shoulder, holding him tighter.

“I’m sorry,” Baekhyun replied quietly, hugging Kyungsoo back and ignoring the dull aching pain pounding in his jaw.

“You’re not forgiven,” Kyungsoo growled. Then, his voice softened. “But welcome back.”

 

 

 

_________________________________________

A/N: Hello, everyone. I'm sorry for being gone for so long, and then returning with such a short chapter with questionable quality. It was just that tests, competitions, performances, and everything began to pile up, and I started to lose myself amidst all of that. And during the short breaks I had, instead of writing, I tried to find myself in the stupidest methods possible, and well. That led to a few months of me avoiding everything in general. But! School is nearly over, so I'm back now! And I really hope I'll update more. Hopefully the next update will be in a few days.

The next chapter will be in Jongin's point of view!

Thank you very much to all those who have waited for my updates, and thank you very much to those who are newly subscribed. I'm sorry about how terrible this chapter was written, but I'll try my best to write better!

If you want to find me, please follow me on Tumblr!