Meeting the Pastor

Summer Paradise

 

Gannz's P.O.V

I'm pretty convinced that this handwriting on sand was actually referring to me because I am betting that the only existing teenager born with that name in this community is me. Or atleast, that's what I think. If so, then who wrote this? And why my name?

An aunt of mine, the one who passed me this old, faded photo, was apparently making me believe that, despite knowing  the possibility that I could've written that myself, according to her, whoever wrote this was actually my childhood friend AND soulmate. Ayy wow.

Has she become destiny now? 'Trying to shoulder destiny's appointed job again, huh?' was what I would always sarcastically claim whenever she'd start predicting my future in the romance department, getting nothing but a knowing chuckle in response. Nonetheless, my wandering thoughts would, at some point, unconsciously incorporate my aunt's irrational predictions, keeping me occupied as I unintentionally ignore my surroundings afterwards. And that's exactly what's happening right now. I shooed the idea off me.

Must.Listen.To.The.Pastor.

So uhh..who is the pastor again? After finally lending him my ear, I studied him from head to toe, trying to scrutinize his physical attributes. Hey, am not being judgemental here, alright? He's a guy of average height, standing proud and mighty, a voice that speaks of toughness with a considerably good diction, and a nicely trimmed hair. Neat.

"A! I remember one time; there was this playmate of mine, from this neighboring family whose surname I have forgotten, who I would always love to tease along with her older brother," he said, pausing midway.

"Thing is, I can't even remember her older brother's name despite remembering tiny bit of facts about where we used to play when we were kids. Places in this community, yes. And oddly enough, the only thing that's intact in my memory was her name. Or I guess the way people call her back then," he recalled, smiling in the process. In this community? Didn't know that this person actually spent his childhood in here, the place where I grew up. And the girl's name is?

He grinned, seeing how excited everyone is from this confession of his. Can't he just say her name? Did he think that purposely hanging up on that part would somehow create a suspense kind of thing among us? Am tired and church activities are finished so I ought to go home and have a rest now. Fortunately for him, it did. He completely got everyone's attention except for me. That is, until he continued, leaving me speechless afterwards. "Gannda," he mentioned, as if sensing that that person is here with us right now.

And guess what? She is.

'Cause believe it or not, that Gannda is me. No kidding.

My eyes widened. "Say what?" I blurted out loud enough to catch everyone's attention, including the pastor's. Cool.

"This is her! She's that Gannda!" That's my mom speaking, currently pointing at me in excitement. Great. Now what?