It'll Always Be Our Song

It'll Always Be Our Song

Min Sung's POV

"Ya! Stop making fun of the guy! Don't you know wha-"

I felt someone's hand cover my mouth tightly.

"That's enough." He pushed me to his side. "Thanks, anyway." He showed them his sweetest smile and pulled me as he walked away.

"Ya! How can you just leave like that with those people gossiping about you?!" I said in an "umma mode" manner. 

He looked at me and laughed. "Your eyes are getting bigger, Min Sung. Stop that or your eyeballs would fall out."

I pouted. "I wasn't asking you about how big my eyes are."

He scratched the nape of his neck. "One, it's a total waste of time to fend with those kinds of people. Second, it's not polite."

"Polite?!" I stomped my feet. "I don't really know what's wrong with you, Jin Ki. I think you're going to be okay with it when I join those girls gossiping about you."

"You wouldn't."

I raised a brow. "How could you be so sure?"

"You're my best friend. You won't do that." He smiled, having that "as-a-matter-of-fact" tone of voice. 

I sighed in defeat. I hit his shoulder playfully. "You just know me too well, Lee Jin Ki."

''That's what best friends are for." He shrugged. We walked to the roof top to enjoy our lunch together.

----------------------

"Min Sung, why don't you confess to him already? It's been two years since you liked him!" Nam Young said with great exaggeration, waving her arms here and there. 

I almost choked on the food that I ate. "What? Me? Confess?" I felt my cheeks getting warmer. "N-never..!"

"Oh, C'mon," Ji Sun elbowed me. "He's just there in front of you."

I looked at where Ji Sun was pointing at. She was pointing to Jay, my..erm..how should I say this...

Crush

Looking at him sends butterflies to my stomach. 

Nam Young nudged me and told me to look at Jay. To my surprise, he was looking at me,too. He waved as soon as he caught a glimpse of me.

"This is totally the reason why I want you to confess to him!" Nam Young and Ji Sun said together. They high-fived each other. I looked at my food to calm myself down.

Should I really confess to him...?

I sighed. Out of all the pretty girls in our school, I doubt that he'd choose me.

"Min Sung!'' Jin Ki called out as he saw me. 

"Jin Ki! Come here!" Nam Young waved. Jin Ki obeyed and made his way towards our table.

-------------------

12: 01PM.

"Min Sung," He whispered, his face getting near mine. We were in a secluded part of the school. "Answer me."

My heart was beating so fast. I felt so...happy.

"Jay.." I drifted off, wondering how I'd be able to say my answer.

"Yes." I smiled proudly in front of him. He smiled at me, then kissed me lips.

Is this heaven?

--------------

"Min Sung! I've got great news for you!" Jin Ki cheerfully grabbed his best friend's hands. 

"Me too! But, tell yours first." I hugged Jin Ki. He was happily smiling right now. His news must be too much for him to handle.

"I'll be a trainee of SM Entertainment tomorrow!'' 

I gasped in shock.

It was Jin Ki's dream to be a singer, even though he looked really nerdy.

I squealed in happiness and hugged him tighter this time. "Oh, Jin Ki! I'm so proud of you!"

"But, there's bad news."

I looked at him, puzzled at just what he said.

"I'm going to move into a dorm tomorrow. I'm moving, and I'm going to withdraw my scholarship here to study in a new place."

Jin Ki looked at me sadly.

What did...what in the world?

So, fulfilling his dream has a catch?

I could feel myself tearing up.

Jin Ki was my best friend. I don't know what I'd do without him. 

Well, I wanted to be a good friend. I wanted to be the bestest friend he'll ever have.

I held his shoulders firmly. "Go for it, Jin Ki! Fighting!"

It was now his turn to be puzzled.

"Aren't you going to stop me? Aren't you sad?"

"I figured that it'd be best if I let you fulfill your dreams. It's not like we're going to lose contact anyway, right? Besides, I want to be the bestest friend you'll ever have."

He smiled at me. He hugged me tightly in his arms. "Thank you. You already are."

I hugged him back, hoping that time would just stop right now.

I was secretly crying. I hope Jin Ki wouldn't notice this.

------------

I was walking home from school with Jin Ki. It was our last day to be together, so we might as well spend so much time together. But, Jin Ki's mom wants him to prepare earlier so that he'd be ready by tomorrow. Jin Ki and I were joking around.

We finally reached my house. 

"Jin Ki," I patted his shoulder. "I'll be okay. You should be,too!"

"You still haven't told me about your good news." He pouted a little. As expected, Jin Ki is really cute. Just take off that big glasses of his, and you'll really find a cute guy hiding behind.

I blushed. "Well...Jay and I are officially together now."

He stared at me in shock. He was frozen for a couple of seconds, but then, smiled. 

"I can't believe it. This girl would actually have a boyfriend?"

I hit his shoulder. "Ya! I have my charms, you know!" 

"Yeah, yeah." He said as he laughed. 'I'll be going now."

"Wait!" I snapped my fingers and hurriedly searched for two pieces of bond paper inside my school bag.

"You do know that I compose songs, don't you?"

He smiled. "Of course. I sang one of your songs when I auditioned."

"Here." I handed to him two pieces of slightly crumpled bond paper with notes and lyrics on it. "I'm giving you one of my best creations."

He gasped in shock as he received my work. "Really?"

"That's what best friends are for, right?" I winked at him. He hugged me for one last time.

"Thanks."

I pretended to tear up. "Oh My Gosh. My baby's going to be a superstar now."

He laughed. "What the heck. You're not my mom."

We laughed together. Jin Ki started heading to his house.

"Fighting, Lee Jin Ki!" I shouted from my window. He made a salute to me, and walked on.

I hope he won't regret this.

--------------

"Never gaining, never waiting again~"

I tapped my foot as I held onto the mic. I looked at Jay, who was working hard in playing the guitar.

"This is the reality I wanted."

He sang the last lines of the song smoothly.

Everyone in the cafe cheered.

I got down from the stage, along with Soon Kyu, Young Bin and Jay. Jay hung his arm around me as soon as we got out of the cafe. Soon Kyu and Young Bin had a date, so they bid goodbye first. 

"So... where do you wanna go?" Jay said as he smiled at me. I smiled back.
"Maybe eat in a restaurant. I'm terribly hungry right now." 

We walked to the nearest restaurant and ordered spaghettis.

Sigh. This takes me back.

Jin Ki and I used to eat spaghettis a lot.

It's been four years since Jin Ki left. He told me that he'll contact me, but he never did.

I waited for at least a call for four years.

Jin Ki never called.

Jin Ki. Jin Ki. Jin Ki. I seriously need to focus on my spaghetti rather than remembering the memories of the past.

Besides, I'm with Jay right now. I should think of him.

My phone started ringing. I excused myself, and went to the girl's comfort room.

"Yeobosaeyo?"

"Min Sung unnie!" It was Soon Kyu. "I heard a really cool song from a new boyband named SHINee! Here, I'll let you listen to it/"

Soon Kyu put her phone near the speakers so I could hear the song.

"She grazes past me, she grows more distant, The girl I liked so much."

Those...those lyrics were familiar. I decided to listen some more.

"With her back turned, she looks back at me. I feel somewhat pitiful."

I was really suspicious. I knew this song. Then, the chorus started playing.

"She grazes past me while holding onto his hand~
She grows more distant, wearing more make-up than usual.
I wasn't there, was I?
Since the beginning, I was always only a convenient friend."

I knew it.

I knew this song.

I was shocked. I couldn't even speak.

This was my song. 

All the lyrics match. I wrote this in a guy's perspective. 

Even the tone matches.

This was my composition four years ago.

Then, it came to me.

Did Jin Ki sing this?

I gave this composition to him. It was my farewell gift to him. 

Perhaps...one of the singers of this song is...

"Are you in a concert right now?" I immediately asked Soon Kyu.

"Yep. Young Bin and I are in the park right now. We're lucky that we're near the speakers."

"I'll go there. I need to check on something."

I went to our table and got my bag.

"Jay, I'll be going first."

"Why?"

"I need to check out something."

I immediately left the restaurant and went to the park as fast as I can. I really felt sorry for Jay, but I needed to do this.

I needed to know if it was Jin Ki or not.

------------

"Let's all clap for SHINee!" 

The host said as the fans cheered and screamed. There were five guys onstage. They were all very charming, I guess.

"So, this is your new song?" The host gave the mic to someone who looked so familiar.

He was tall, and he had light brown hair. He had cute cheeks which were hard to resist. I wanted to pinch them.

Somehow, I knew who he was.

"Hello, my name is Onew." He introduced himself and smiled. All the fans started going crazy. "Yes, this is our new song, which is called Graze. This was originally composed by...someone I knew."

The fans were chanting something.

"Lee Jin Ki! Lee Jin Ki!"

Lee Jin...Ki..?

I was correct. It was really Jin Ki who was on stage. But, why did he introduce himself as Onew..?

"Unnie!" I heard Soon Kyu say as she pulled Young Bin out of the crowd. ''They're amazing, aren't they?"

I couldn't reply to Soon Kyu. Tears were coming out of my eyes.

I was happy. I finally got to see Jin Ki again.

But, I wanted to meet him. I wanted to ask him if he's okay, and tell him all the things that happened to me since he went away.

"Soon Kyu," I said as I wiped my tears away. "I want to meet them."

Soon Kyu and Young Bin's eyes widened. 

Young Bin cleared his throat. "Noona, are you alright?"

"Yeah. I just want to meet them."

Soon Kyu sighed. "Unnie, they'll get off the stage about..." She looked at SHINee, then looked back. "Now."

She pushed me to the front as the crowd started to disappear.

"Go, unnie!" She shouted as she and Young Bin walked off. I waved at them, and ran towards the stage.

"Wait!" I jumped on the stage and grabbed the shirt of the so-called "Onew". He looked my hand, then to my face. He looked confused.

"...who are you?"

I widened my eyes in shock as I saw him face to face. He was really Jin Ki.

"Jin Ki!" I hugged him tightly. "Why didn't you at least call me once? I was really worr-"

"I'm sorry." Jin Ki said as he slightly pushed me away. "I don't know you."

His other 'mates' stared at me awkwardly. 

I was left alone on the stage.

I was still shocked about it.

Jin Ki...didn't remember...me?

How could he...?

He even used my song.

Why didn't he remember me..?
 

I felt no strength in my knees. I fell down, and cried.

I thought I finally got to be with him again.

-------------------

"Unnie," Soon Kyu sighed as she stared at me. "Don't you think you've done enough?"

"Who cares? I want to see my best friend again. I want him to remember me." I said as I waited for the fan meeting to end.

I really wanted to see my best friend. I wanted to at least let Jin Ki remember me. I've done everything I've could. I've contacted SM Entertainment, went to their shows, etc.

I know you'll think that I'm ridiculous, but I really wanted to try my best to let Jin Ki remember me.

The fan meeting finally ended. I scooted over to the front and grabbed Jin Ki's arm.

"It's you again?" He sounded pretty surprised.

"Yep. I'll give this new composition of mine to you, if you don't mind."

He sighed and accepted it.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"I'm sorry, but please stop following me. I'm quite distracted with all the things that you're doing..."

Then, he left.

I couldn't believe what he just said.

No, Jin Ki wouldn't say that. 

But, Onew did.

I sighed as a tear left my left eye.

He's not Jin Ki anymore. He's Onew now.

-----------

I left the fan meeting session. Soon Kyu told me she'd be meeting with Young Bin, so I let her go. I walked alone in the busy streets of Seoul, trying to find something to cheer me up with.

Then, I saw a really heartbreaking picture.

Want to know?

I saw Jay with another girl.

She was skinnier than me, and a bit taller. He had his arm around her. They were talking and laughing.

I went in front of them to stop their tracks.

Jay widened his eyes in shock.

"Min Sung...?"

I slapped his face.

"How could you..?"

"I've been...bored, Min Sung. For four years of dating, I thought that I should probably date someone else."

I slapped him once more.

"I regret everything that we've done."

I looked at the girl.

"You better make him happy and excited, or this would happen to you."

I stormed off as I heard the girl call out to me. I pretended to not mind them.

I stopped and looked back. "I'm quitting your band." I shouted as I ran to the park.

I guess no one would be able to identify me there.

My tears were uncontrollable. 

I hated crying. It to cry. Being sad is just a waste of time.

I wiped my tears, but they just wouldn't stop.

I tried to smile to myself.

I suddenly felt a light tap on my shoulder.

I looked up, and saw a huge teddy bear right in front of me.

"What's wrong, miss?" The teddy bear said as it sat next to me on the bench.

This is a little awkward, but I'm thankful.
 

"Just got dumped." I smiled.

The bear gave me a balloon. "A free one for the broken hearted girl."

"Thank you." I immediately smiled wider. I really appreciate this someone's effort to actually cheer me up.

Then, I remembered Jin Ki. He used to be there for me at times like this.

"I remembered my best friend because of you."

The teddy bear didn't nudge a bit. "Where is he now?"

"He doesn't remember anything about me. Well, anyway, I've got to go on in life." I raised my fist up in the air. 

"Fighting for us!"

The teddy bear joined me as we cheered for ourselves.

I really appreciate the effort of this teddy bear guy.

-----------------------

I sighed and looked at the well-decorated walls of my room.

We were moving to Singapore. Mom got a job there, so the rest of us would follow her.

It has been a week since I've lost hope in trying to let Jin Ki remember me.

A week since I found out that Jay was cheating on me.

A week since I met Mr. Teddy and texted with him.

I got my phone out, and sent a text message to Mr. Teddy.

To: Mr. Teddy

Fr: Min Sung

We're finally moving out now. Our flight to Singapore would be at 2PM.

I heard my phone vibrated quickly.

To. Min Sung

Fr. Mr. Teddy

Go out of your house. I have a present. ^^

I immediately went out of my house. There, by the gate, was Mr. Teddy. How did he find out about my address?

Then, he started singing.

"She grazes past me while holding onto his hand.
She grows more distant, wearing more make-up than usual.
I wasn't there, was I?
Since the beginning, I was always only a convenient friend."

He removed his teddy head, and revealed his face.

I was shocked.

It was Jin Ki.

"I'm sorry," He said as he hugged me. I couldn't respond to the hug.

I was too shocked for my own good.

I finally hugged him back and cried.

"You jerk!" I shouted. "How could you act like you don't remember me?"

"I know that we wouldn't be able to be like what we are before." He hugged me much tighter now. "Besides, you have a boyfriend."

That made me confused. 

"What?"
 

'Silly Min Sung," He laughed. "Didn't you know that I liked you ever since we became best friends?"

I got a shock from that.

But, then, I felt this feeling of warmth inside me.

Like what I felt before for Jay.

I looked back in my memories of the past. 

Jin Ki was always there for me. I wasn't shy to open up to him. I really liked it when he randomly hugs me or holds my hand when we hang out. Jin Ki would always cheer me up in the weirdest ways. I liked it when he'd joke around just to get me to notice him.

I liked it when I pecked his cheek years ago, making him my first kiss.

Then, it came to my senses.

I did love...him.

I didn't want to admit it, but here he was, telling it all to me.

I put my arms around his neck. "In just 10 seconds, I realized that I love you."

"Silly," He chuckled as he kissed my lips.

"Now, we have to change the lyrics of the song." I pursed my lips.

He looked confused.

I started thinking, then snapped my fingers.

"She grazes past me while looking for my hand.
She grows closer to me, trying to be strong.
I was there for her, right?
Since the beginning, I was not only a friend, but now her lover."

I sang. He clapped his hands.

"You're still great at singing. But, lover seems awkward. Can't it be "her boyfriend" instead?"

"Shut up." I laughed as I kissed him this time.

"Min Sung! We're going now!"

I looked back at my unnie, then back at Jin Ki.

"This means goodbye again."

"But, now, I promise that I'll contact you."

I kissed his cheek for one last time, and went to the car.

I smiled at him. "Lee Jin Ki, fighting!" I shouted as the car sped off towards the airport.

---------------

A year later....

"Coming!" I shouted as I served the noodles to the customer. I was working as a waitress in this Chinese restaurant. The noodles here were great, but seeing them everyday almost makes me sick of them.

It's been a year already. I'm already 20, and I'm quite old.

I hummed to some tunes that I knew while I served the other plates.

"She grazes past me while looking for my hand~"

I stopped whatever I was doing. I knew that voice. That voice was familiar.

I immediately ran outside, trying to find where the voice was coming from.

"She grows closer to me, trying to be strong."

I looked around. I ran to all different directions. Where was it coming from?

'' I was there for her, right?
Since the beginning, I was not only a friend, but now her..."

I turned to my right, and saw someone that I didn't expect. He was holding the microphone, and was grinning widely.

"Boyfriend." He finished as he slowly walked towards me.

"Jin Ki!" I hurriedly ran to him and hugged him. 

I missed him so much.

It has been a year since we saw each other.

"Ni Hao. Long time no see, Min Sung."

I laughed at how he attempted to speak in Chinese.

"You at it."

"I know I'm good."

I laughed along with him.

I looked at him sincerely. He smiled sweetly at me.

"I missed you."

"I missed you,too." He gently murmured as he kissed me.

I could hear the claps of everyone around us.

It'll always be our song.

------------------

THE END.

I know. It doesn't have much of the romantic appeal to it. Sorry. D:. But, I tried. I hope you enjoyed this fic~ ^^

Happy Valentines~~~ <3