Final

Electronic Love

 

The awkward silence was suffocating, loud and bothersome. Myungsoo and Hyejung suddenly found it difficult to make any sort of eye contact. Mixture of emotions relayed across their faces, ranging from surprise and disbelief to nervousness and embarrassment.

Myungsoo cleared his throat, “I’m going to help that customer”

He rushed off to aid the young man nosing through a rack of shirts.

Hyejung sighed in relief. It seemed as if she had held her breath in the moment she realised that InfiniteBoy was in fact the person she put so much effort in to dislike. Looking down at her phone, her fingers led her to all the messages and conversations they had.

It was difficult to believe that she was communicating with Myungsoo the whole time and even harder to forget the feeling he gave her through those electronic messages.

“Hyejung...Hyejung!”

Her head shot upwards. Myungsoo bit down on his lip for a moment, repeating the image of her shocked face with doe eyes in his head.

She realised a customer was waiting to check out and Myungsoo had brought her back to reality. Quickly, she served the man, thanking him for his purchase.

The two now stood behind the counter, waiting for customers to come through the door. Myungsoo’s eyes wandered sideways, glimpsing a side image of Hyejung’s face. It was tough to understand that Midnight was so near him in real life.

Hyejung looked back at him, catching him staring at her. Myungsoo held his eyes in place, unable to look away the instant his eyes locked with hers.

“Yes?” Hyejung finally questioned.

Myungsoo’s lips jutted out momentarily as he thought carefully about the words that would roll off his tongue.

“Can you really sing?” he asked, remembering that she had listed down her hobbies once in an e-mail. Hyejung’s eyes enlarged and repositioned herself in a flash to look in front of her and avoid Myungsoo.

“No!” she snapped quickly.

Myungsoo’s face lit up in a grin as he witnessed her cheeks get rosier and her eyes nervously search something other than him to focus on. He leaned against the counter, never letting his eyes leave Hyejung.

“But I’m sure your promised you would sing for me if we ever met” he said in a sweet voice.

Hyejung nervously glanced at him, her lips in a grimace of embarrassment, “I don’t remember that...”

Of course she was lying. She sent the message only last night. Before Myungsoo could reply, a customer had taken up Hyejung’s attention. She scurried off to help around, exhaling in deep relief.

 

The shift was at its end now and it was deep in to the evening by now. Myungsoo locked the doors of the shop, and he made it his mission to be able to walk with Hyejung. She paced down the street, soon hearing small pattering of footsteps catching up to her.

Myungsoo halted beside and flashed a warm smile. Her cheeks reddened, not because of the evening chill.

“Don’t you go home the other way?” Hyejung asked in confusion. Myungsoo pursed his lips, thinking his motives were found out already.

“Er, well, yes.” He said in little confidence, “But! I want to walk this way”

Hyejung awkwardly looked away in front of her, stuffing her pale hands in her pocket. The silence made her act out of character. She blew out a pool of hot air in the cool night, watching a puff of white smoke emit out of her.

Myungsoo gazed curiously, noticing her red nose and cheeks. “Are you cold?” he asked, interrupting her weird fun.

Before Hyejung could answer, he pulled off the woolly, thick scarf off of him and securely wrapped it around her neck.

“You don’t need to” she protested. Myungsoo would have none of it and shook his head, “We can’t have you freezing yourself off”

Hyejung hid half of her face in the scarf, breathing in the unique scent of Myungsoo. She found herself meekly saying, “What about you?”

It was barely audible but definitely head. Myungsoo simply pat her head affectionately. “You worry too much”

They walked towards Hyejung’s home. The silence this time wasn’t at all awkward. Just more content.

Slowly, Hyejung stopped in front of her door, “This is me”

“Right”

The two didn’t know what to say to each other. Until Hyejung remembered the scarf: “Um your scarf, here!”

She quickly unwrapped it and held it out for him. Myungsoo’s eyes lowered at the garment in her hands and blinked. Instead of taking it, he lowered his head and said, “Put it on for me.”

opened to decline the request but sighed in defeat. She draped the scarf around him, her cold fingers making contact with the warmth of his neck. Myungsoo flinched at the contact, sure that it was nothing to do with the coldness.

Finished with that, she left her hands steadily go back to her side. Myungsoo didn’t move from his position, looking straight into her eyes.

Hyejung became nervous and her tummy was filled with amazing fluttering.

Inch by inch, his face moved closer and closer. A breathing distance away, he said, “Do you want to meet up tomorrow?”

Hyejung breathed out a wavering sigh, “Er...sure”

Her voice was slightly high pitched in uneasiness.

Myungsoo smiled, his eyes forming crescent shapes and his cheeks rising. She couldn’t help but grin back at him.

“Great, it’s a date” he said softly. He stood up straight and walked down the path leading to the small gate. He stood outside it and looked back at Hyejung for a moment who still stood at the door, waiting for him to leave her sight.

Myungsoo grinned again, “You’ll be online tonight right?”

Hyejung giggled, “Aren’t I always?”

The two beamed at each other before parting. One thing for sure, the two couldn’t wait for another night of electronic messages.

-------------------------------------

 

I've said many times before that I at endings but oh well!!

I hope this has lived up to your expectations and I hope you all LOVED it!!!!

THANKS FOR READING!!!

image