final filming

Diamond in the Rough (part II)

          It was finally the day of the last recording for the drama. If Nick hadn’t been gone, we would have been finished already. I was excited for today since it was me and Nick’s love scene. Jake and Nick came to pick me up as usual. I checked my email while I was in the car. Nick and Jake were arguing about something, but I wasn’t paying any attention to them.

“Oh my God!” I yelled out.

Nick and Jake’s face shot in my direction. They immediately stopped their conversation. “What, babe?” Nick asked with a concerned tone.

“Did you know they changed the script?” I asked them.

Jake was the one to reply. “Oh yeah, Manager told us. We forgot to tell you.” He laughed nervously. Jake retrieved a folder from his bag, inside it, a stapled few papers.

“Here’s your copy of the new script from Manager-noona.” Jake smiled.
I grabbed it from him. “Thanks, Jake.” I said with the strongest sarcasm possible.

“Oh yeah, I was supposed to read that, huh?” Nick laughed from behind the wheel.

“I’ll read it out loud then.” I announced.

As we read through the script, I stopped at the words written in red. “What is this!?” I looked at the key, it read “*Red words indicate changes*”

“Really? I thought I finally went through an entire drama without any rewrites.” Nick sighed. “What’s wrong with the new changes?”

“They took out our love scene!” I yelled angrily.

At the same time, Nick yelled “WHAT?!” and Jake yelled, “YES!”               

I looked at Jake funny. “Why are you happy about this?” I asked him.

“Who’s his new partner?” Jake asked.

“It’s Jang Noli.” I replied.

“And that’s why.” Jake smirked.

Nick started saying something, then he and Jake returned to arguing. This time I actually listened to them.

“Why don’t you like her? She’s a nice girl.” Nick asked Jake.

“No, she’s not. She’s annoying.” He whined in reply.

“She’s pretty cool and I know she likes you.”
“I know she likes me too.”

I interrupted them. “Okay children, settle down now.” I taunted.

“No, listen. Noli has been crushing on Jake for a while now, even before the drama. She’s been with Diamond for about two years now as an actor, and Jake has never given her the time of day. I just want him to go out with her once.” Nick explained.

“Okay, and in your defense, Jake?”
 

“Mai, she’s crazy. She is way too clingy on me. I hardly even know her and it’s always, “OPPA! OPPA! HEY OPPA!” with her. She is around me 24/7 at the shoots. It’s SO annoying.” Jake explained.

My phone rang. “Wait, I’m getting a new email.” I pulled my phone from my pocket. At that second, Jake and Nick got a message too.

“Jake, check my phone.” Nick told him.

“Yeah, I will after I check mine.”

“No need.” I told them. “It was a mass email to the Diamond Family. We’re having a company dinner tonight in celebration of…” I stopped talking.

“of your debut.” Jake and Nick said together, finishing my sentence.

“Yeah. How’d you know?” I asked them.

“The only times we have those family dinners is before the debut of a new group or soloist and before and after the beginning of our family tours.” Jake explained.

My face was mortified.
“Mai, babe, what’s wrong?” Nick asked me, looking at me through the rearview mirror.

“A-Bomb’s debut is so soon. It’s all happening so fast.” I told them.

They both laughed. “Don’t worry. We know how you feel.” Nick said, trying to calm my nerves. “Anyway, we’re here, so think about it later. Plus, we didn’t finish reading the script. Let’s do that now.”

I agreed and continued reading.

“Oh .” I muttered under my breath.

“Woah, I didn’t know that you cursed.” Jake laughed.

“Shut up, I don’t. It’s just when I’m around you guys since we’re always speaking English.” I said back, sticking my tongue out at him.

“Okay, back to the real problem.” Nick said. “What’s the problem this time?”

“It doesn’t matter, it’s not about your scene let’s keep on going.” I muttered, trying to change the subject.

“Mai, what is it?” He said with his tone now stern.

“Nothing, babe, it’s nothing.” I said, leaning in to give him a kiss.

Nick snatched the script from my hand as I was close. He took a few seconds to read through the page. When he found what I meant, his face turned red.

“Damn, what’s his problem?” Jake shrugged. He picked up one of the other scripts in the folder.

“Oh, dang.” Jake chuckled.

I flicked Jake’s forehead. “Don’t laugh. It’s not funny, stupid.”

At that second, there was a knock on our window. It was Noli.

“Hey guys!” She yelled, waving from outside the car. I put the window down.

“Director is looking for you guys. It’s time to start the shooting. It’s Jake and JD’s scene right now, so you and Nick can stay in the car.” She told me. “Come with me Jake.” She smiled.

He sighed, then went with her. I got out of the car and went to the passenger’s seat where Jake had just been. Nick’s face was even more red than before. He was still silent.

“JD’s already here?” He said, restraining the anger in his voice.

“Nick, it’s alright. I mean, you get to have a love scene with Noli. At least now it’s fair that I get to have one with JD.” I said, trying to ease his anger.

“Yeah, but I never kissed Noli. Noli isn’t deeply in love with me.” He spat back.

I took his hand.

“Nick, this is a stupid rewrite. How are the viewers going to believe that Noli’s character fell for her sister’s boyfriend in the end and that he had “loved her all along.” And no one would believe that my character would take back her ex-boyfriend who they just introduced in this episode in a flashback. Watch, the finale it going to have bad ratings.” This one made him feel a little better.

“I just don’t understand why it was Jae who was picked. Of everyone in Diamond, why him? Why not someone from SML4, 29Bass, Cologne, or anyone else in Aqua?” He sighed, banging his fist on the dashboard. His sudden anger startled me.

“Look at it seriously. The oppas from SML4 and 29Bass are too old to pass for a 17 year old baseball player from Busan. Plus besides that fact that JD’s the only one in Diamond Family who is from Busan that’s not female, he’s the only one in Aqua with acting experience. Plus, already 1/3 of Cologne is in this drama, if one more person comes, then it’ll be half. I bet President-nim is just trying to get exposure for all of his groups, heck, that’s why I’m here, and that’s why almost all of Diamond’s soloists have either a part or have made a cameo.”

Nick finally seemed like he had calmed down.

“Okay, let’s go inside now, baby, or Director-nim is gonna get mad at us.” I beckoned.

He nodded. “But gimme a kiss first.” He said, pulling me close.

I shook him off. “No, there could be paparazzi around. Gosh, how did you date without the whole world finding out before?” I teased.

“I didn’t.” He replied, giving me butterflies.

          As we walked into the resting area, Noli and JD were the only ones in there. The rest of the staff was on the set. Noli hopped up from her chair and came running over to us. She gave me a hug, and then Nick.

“Congratulations you two. I heard about your relationship. President sent out an email to all the Diamond staff. Haha, what an impersonal way to announce it.” She laughed. I didn’t think that she was annoying. Noli really is nice, and she’s cute. I think it’s just her personality that makes her seem clingy.

I noticed JD on the other couch when Noli mentioned me and Nick’s public relationship. He rolled his eyes and made a face.

“So are you gonna make it public?” She asked.

Nick answered her. “I spoke with the president about it and we decided to just keep it in the family. We don’t need ANOTHER scandal concerning Mai, nonetheless anyone from A-Bomb or Diamond before they debut, especially not another relationship scandal.”

“Nick and JD, the fight scene is up next.” A coordinator called.

“Oh shoot, I forgot to read the script. I gotta go girls.” He said.

Nick gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before he left, giving Noli a heart-attack. “Aw, so cute.” She squealed.

The coordinator popped her head back into the room. “Noli, they need you too.” She said.

“Okay, Coordi-unnie.” She smiled.

          As fate would have it, me and JD were left in the room alone. He finally opened his mouth to talk. He patted the spot on the couch next to him.
“Come sit next to me, Mai.” He smirked.

          As much as I loved Nick’s smirk is as much as how I now despised Jaehyo’s.

“Miss me?” He said slyly.

“Not one bit.” I snarkly replied.

Jae leaned in close to me, his lips not a centimeter away from my ear.
“Doubt it.” He whispered.

“Shut up, Jae.” I said.

He started laughing.

“WHAT?!” I whined.

“You’re just so cute.” He replied, continuing to laugh. “This love scene is going to be so easy.”

I rolled my eyes at him. “And why is that?”

Jae brought his face close to mine and whispered into my ear. “Because I already love you.”

My body tensed at his words. He stood up immediately when a staff came in to call for him.

“Looks like it’s time for me to kick your boyfriend’s .” He smirked.

          As soon as he left the room, I got up and stomped around.

“What is wrong with him!?”  I screamed.

I ended up pacing and going over my lines in the waiting room by myself until it was time for my scene.

“Mai-ssi, JD is already out there. Get into makeup quick, your final scene is up next.” The coordinator informed me.

Finally, the scene I was dreading to shoot.

          After my makeup was done, I wandered onto the set. JD was in his place. I reviewed the script a final time, then went to my place.

“ACTION!” The director yelled.

“Jieun!” Jae called.

“Taehwan?”

He ran over to me and we embraced.

“Jieun, I’ve finally found you!”

“You’ve been looking for me for two years?” I asked.

“Of course, after you moved away and left without any contacts or information, I’ve been trying to track you down.”

We finally stopped hugging. “How did you finally find me?” I asked.

Inside, I was laughing at these cheesy lines.

“I remembered, from when we were kids, you told me that on your 18th birthday, you wanted to make your wish in the old fountain down the street from your house. I came here in the hopes that you would follow through.”

“Okay, cut. That was good.” The director yelled. “Coordinator, give her the tear stick.”

A coordinator came to me with this marker type thing. It looked like a sharpie, but instead of ink, a weird liquid came out. They used this to make us cry for a scene. As soon as I felt the tears forming, we started rolling again.

“Taehwan, I missed you so much.” I cried. “You don’t know how I felt since I left Busan. Every day I thought about you and every day I missed you. These city lights of Seoul don’t erase the feelings that I have for you.”

“Feelings?” He asked.

“Yes, Taehwan. I love you. I’ve always loved you.” I cried. We went back into an embrace and I hugged him tight.

“I love you too, Jieun.” Jae leaned in close, about to kiss me. He closed his eyes.

I began to lean it, but when it came to the rest, I just stood there and stared at his lips. I couldn’t do it.

“CUT! Mai! What is this? It’s just a kiss. Get on with it, okay!?! Let’s try this again!!”

The cameras began rolling again.

“I love you too, Jieun.” He repeated. Again he leaned in.

I gathered all of my courage and leaned in too.

          The kiss was weird. It was my first time kissing him not against my will. I closed my eyes tight, I dug my nails into his shoulder. In response, he pulled me closer to him. One hand was on my waist and the other on my head.

“CUT! Okay, let’s take five. Mai, go prepare yourself. We’ll shoot the next scene then get back to yours, okay? But the next time better be the last. And Jaeho, good work. I really felt the emotion from you. Do that again in the next scene.”

JD bowed and thanked the director for his compliment. He followed me off the set.

“Stop following me.” I demanded.

Jae grabbed my arm and pulled me towards him.

“Mai, what’s the problem? It’s not like it’s our first time.”

I loosened myself from his grip.

“Yeah, but it’s the first time I wanted to.”

“Oh so you wanted to?” He asked with his smirk on his face.

“Shut up. You know what I meant.”

Jae grabbed my hand. “Mai, come on, just calm down. Let the feelings that you’re hiding come to the surface.”

A hand came upon Jae’s shoulder. He turned around.

“Ah, Nick-hyung. Nice to see you.” He greeted, almost sarcastically.

“I’ll take it over from here, Jae-goon.” Nick replied with the same standoffish tone.

He took Jae’s hand from mine and dragged me away. He took me into his makeup room and locked the door.

“Mai, I know that you’re trying to be faithful to me, but you really need to kiss Jae. I won’t get mad this time, I promise. You’re acting. We’re all acting.” Nick told me.

I sighed. “I know, but Nick, I don’t want to kiss anyone but you.”

He smiled. “You’re so sweet.” He said, the kissed me. “You should try my trick. When I was with Noli, I just pretended she was you. We were done with only one take. Here, use this as an example.”

Nick pulled me into a kiss. Of all of our kisses before, this one was at least on the top 3. He held me close as we kissed, his hands tight around my waist.

“How was that?” He rhetorically asked.

I just giggled, sending a smile on to his face.

“Let’s practice your lines before you go on, okay?” He suggested. I agreed.

         

          When it was our turn for the scene again, I tried my hardest to picture Jae as Nick, but it just didn’t work with me. Nick was right. It was different. He had never kissed Noli before; Noli didn’t have feelings for him, and he didn’t have feelings for Noli.

I caught myself in my thoughts.

“I don’t have feelings for Jae, do I?” I asked myself.

“Did I hear my name?” JD said, coming from behind me.

“Yeah, I was just wondering where you were.” I lied.

“Aw, miss me already, sweetie?” He joked, putting his hand on my face. I swatted him away.

“You already know the answer.” I frowned.

“Okay, let’s get this show on the road people!” The director yelled. “Places!”

          We did as he said and got back into our places.

“Let’s get this is one shot, okay?”
“Yes!” The both of us replied.

I held Jae’s hands and stared into his eyes. “Taehwan, I love you. I’ve always loved you.”

He leaned in and we kissed. There was no spark.

“CUT! Jaehyo-ssi. Say line first, then kiss.”

“Okay, sorry director-nim.”

The cameras started rolling again.

“Taehwan, I love you. I’ve always loved you.” I repeated.

“You do?” He replied, then swooped in for another kiss, this time with more force.

“CUT! Wrong line! Did you even read the script!?!” The angered director screamed.

“Sorry again. Let me try again.”

“Take 3!” The coordinator yelled.

“Taehwan, I love you. I’ve always loved you.” I said for the third time, looking into JD’s eyes.

He pushed a strand of hair behind my ear, then pulled me into a tight embrace. He looked deeply into my eyes. This emotion in his eye caused me to break character for a split second.

“I love you too, Mai.” He replied.

Then we kissed. His words struck a chord in my heart, reminding me of the first time Nick had told me he loved me. With this, I had finally succeeded in picturing Nick, but just as my passion began to overflow, the director yelled.

“Jaehyo-ssi!! Mess up again and you’re off the show. Get it right! Jieun, not Mai!” He yelled. “Ugh, idol-actors.” The director muttered bitterly under his breath.

          Finally, he took the scene seriously. The fourth take began to roll and the atmosphere was intense.

“Taehwan, I love you.” I said with as much emotion as I could possibly utter.

“I love you too, Jieun.” He said.

Then we kissed.