Chapter 1

Hardly Platonic

It was spring. Her favourite time of the year. She leisurely skipped past the primroses that adorned her front garden with splashes of bright yellow, and grinned to herself as she realised that they had all blossomed pretty fast. Her gardening skills and her knowledge of plants was something that really couldn't be underestimated. It was something that instilled pride within her.

Her skips soon faltered into a slow saunter as she made her way towards the main high street. A slight breeze picked up at that moment and caused her freshly-dyed auburn hair to fall into her eyes; making it hard for her to comprehend what the time was, as she brought her left wrist up to her eyes to gauge the face of the white watch she wore. In frustration, she fished a hair band out of the fake Gucci bag she wore and proceeded to put it on and pull her hair back; away from her large eyes. She sighed as she once again looked towards her watch and realised that she may just be late to school if she continued to walk at the leisurely pace she was walking at.

Exhaling heavily, she began to fall into a well-paced jog as her wish to arrive at school on time clouded her mind. She hadn't been jogging for long until she heard a loud horn sounding beside her. She turned her head ever so slightly and spotted a beautiful, shiny Mercedes rolling up right next to her on the busy high street. Even without peering inside the windows of the lavish car to see who it was, that had been honking to demand her attention, she already knew who it was. It was Jung Daehyun. Her best friend. 

She scoffed and rolled her eyes before continuing her hurried jog once more. She wasn't going to get into Daehyun's car. Not again. It had become too much of a bad habit, and it wasn't right for her to rely on someone so dependently. She had to make her own way in the world. She wouldn't always have Daehyun driving her to the places she needed to go to in his expensive cars. They would eventually go their own ways and so it would be best if he stopped spoiling her with his rich presence - even if he was her best friend. She would make it to school herself and on time. She didn't need a flashy Mercedes and a overly generous Daehyun to get her there.

It wasn't long before she heard a car honk at her once more. She turned her head and saw that Daehyun was still persistently following her. She was about to ignore him again, when he rolled down his window and looked at her in intense annoyance. His full lips contorted into a frown and his brilliant orbs flaming with rage.
''Yah! Kim Mina!'' Daehyun seethed, ''Get your stupid in this car right now!''
''No,'' Mina shouted back at him, and continued to jog, but he was persistent and also continued to move his car along the pavement to match her pace.
''I swear to God. Stop being stubborn and get in the car,'' Daehyun was relentless, ''Don't make me get out and drag you in here.''

Mina sighed in a mixture of frustration and defeat. She was absolutely sure that Daehyun's threat wasn't empty and that he really would end up doing what he said he would do. The last thing she needed was for her obnoxious best friend to cause an unnecessary scene in the middle of a busy high street.
''Fine,'' Mina pouted, and quickly skipped over to the passenger door of Daehyun's car and let herself in. 

Once she was in, Daehyun clamped down on the accelerator and practically flung Mina's face forward into the dashboard. She winced as she felt the sheer impact of the collision on . She sat back in her seat and glared at Daehyun angrily as she rubbed in pain. Daehyun returned her glare with a cheeky smile.
''That's why they say you should wear a seat belt in the car, sweetheart,'' Daehyun teased.
''Shut up.''

''Why were you being so stubborn about not getting in the car, anyway?'' Daehyun looked towards Mina; as the car came to a slow halt at the traffic lights, ''You knew that you'd definitely be late if you didn't get in, so what were you making such a big deal out of?''
Mina jutted her lip out in hesitation and then looked away from Daehyun's steady stare, ''I just.. I don't want to depend on you..''

''You are not going there again, Mina!'' Daehyun scolded; as his grip on the steering wheel got tighter, ''How many times do I have to tell you that what is mine is yours?''
''That doesn't make any sense, Daehyun!'' Mina retorted, and gazed out of the windscreen as the car began to move again, ''We aren't going to be together forever. You won't always be able to drive me around in your fancy cars. You won't always be able to buy me clothes and food and all the rest of it. So you just need to stop spoiling me so much!''

''Shut up before I throw you out of the window,'' Daehyun threatened, as he ran one hand through his perfectly tousled chestnut-brown hair, ''We are going to be together forever and I will spoil you until my last damn breath and I don't care what anyone has to say about it. So stop being an annoying drama queen and enjoy the perks of having Jung Daehyun as your best friend, okay?''

Mina sighed. Daehyun would just never understand how burdensome it sometimes felt to be best friends with him, when Mina herself was so insufficient and came from such a mediocre, humble background. He had been born with a silver spoon in , whereas she had been born in a house that contained only wooden cutlery. He really would never understand just how much his expensive gifts suffocated Mina and rendered her helpless and frustrated.

''Okay freak,'' Mina mumbled.
''That's a good girl,'' Daehyun smiled and with one hand resting on the steering wheel; his other hand took hold of Mina's hand and clasped it tightly.

''Mina..'' his soft voice held a reprimanding undertone. Mina internally flinched as she thought of what she could've done now to annoy him.
''Yes Dae?''
Daehyun's grip on Mina's hand got tighter; as the car now drove into the school's parking lot, ''Why do you have a fake Gucci bag?''

Mina's face scrunched up of its own accord as she tried to avoid Daehyun's biting glare. Daehyun looked away from Mina for a moment as he swiftly manoeuvred his car into its usual spot and then turned off the engine. Mina cringed as Daehyun leaned in towards her and looked her dead on in the eyes.

''Answer me.''
''I..'' Mina failed instantly at sounding assertive, ''I just.. Is it that easy to tell it's fake?''
Daehyun scoffed, ''Yes. It is. Now answer me.. why do you have a fake Gucci bag?''

Mina's eyes widened infinitesimally as she saw many students milling around Daehyun's car and peering in to see what they were doing. At that moment, she realised just how close Daehyun was to her and how it might look to others. 
''Dae,'' Mina tried to pull her hand away from Daehyun; but Daehyun refused to let go, ''Please. Let go. People are staring.''

''Let them stare,'' Daehyun smirked and then completely swooped in to place a quick kiss on Mina's cheek.
Mina flushed red instantly.
''You're my best friend, Mina. You shouldn't be carrying fake branded accessories. You should have the real thing and I'll get you the real thing. So, if I see you with a fake branded accessory again.. I will have your throat for it.''

''What? Why? Is it embarrassing for you to have a friend that can't afford Gucci? Is it embarrassing for you.. so that's why you want to buy me lots of things to make me look better than I am?'' Mina began to vent out her long built-up anger, ''Forget it, Dae. I don't need your charity.''
''Hey,'' Daehyun immediately locked the doors of the car, so that Mina couldn't leave, ''It's not like that, Mina. You don't embarrass me.''

''Then?'' Mina probed.
Daehyun grinned; revealing his beautiful set of pearly white teeth.
''You..'' he took Mina's face in his hands and cradled it gently, ''You deserve the best. That's why. You deserve nothing less. Silly girl! The day I started being embarrassed of you would be the day that I'd lose all sense of rationality. Please don't be angry at me. Please.''

Mina huffed heavily. She could never be angry at Daehyun for long.
''Okay..''
''Awesome,'' Daehyun grinned and then unlocked the car. 

Both of them stepped out of the car hurriedly and were just about to walk towards their shared homeroom when Daehyun's friend Junhong, nicknamed as Zelo, came running up to them in a crazy frenzy.

''Daehyun hyung!'' Zelo shouted, ''Mina noona!''
Daehyun and Mina looked towards the younger boy in confusion. The boy looked an absolute mess. His bright pink hair was arranged around his head in a crazy disarray and his clothes were all dishevelled and messy. It was as if he'd just been dragged through a bush.
''Zelo-ah,'' Mina smiled happily, ''What's up?''

''He won't stop, noona,'' Zelo whined; his dark eyes were frantic, ''He just took me by the collar in the corridor and asked me to bring you to the basketball courts after school! He says he won't rest until he hears your answer!''
Mina felt the pit of her stomach knotting uncomfortably as she processed what Zelo had just said to her. It kind of scared her, but she maintained an empty expression on her face.

''Don't worry. I'll sort it out,'' Mina looked towards Daehyun and saw a mixture of fury and curiosity dancing in his orbs, ''You should go to homeroom now!''
''Okay..'' Zelo was just about to leave when Daehyun placed his hand on the younger's chest - pushing him backwards.
''What are you talking about? Who took you by the collar? And what kind of answer does he want from Mina?''

''Errr,'' Zelo looked towards Mina apologetically; as he realised that he shouldn't have said what he had in front of Daehyun, ''It's nothing, hyung. I have to go..''
''No. You're not going anywhere,'' Daehyun's usually soft voice was now extremely hard-hitting and demanding, ''What's going on?''
Zelo looked towards Mina and then at Daehyun and then at Mina again. He sighed in defeat.

''Moon Jongup likes Mina noona and he's been pestering her for an answer for a few weeks now. He touched her once inappropriately in class too. Mina noona keeps avoiding him so now he's resorted to taking me by the collar and threatening me. He wants to meet her after school today.''
Daehyun's mouth hung open almost instantly as he looked over at a pensive Mina.

''Moon Jongup.. that absolute !'' Daehyun spat, ''How could you not tell me, Mina? He's been on to you for so long and you didn't think it was necessary to inform me?''
''It's.. n-nothing, Dae,'' Mina looked down at the floor and kicked at a stone, distractedly, ''I'll take care of it.''

''No. You won't. I'll take care of it. Bastard thinks he can terrorise you, but he better think twice. I'll sort him out myself.''
''But..''

''No 'buts'. No one gets away with touching you like that whilst I'm around. I'm going to cut his stupid hands right off. Stupid bastard.''

Mina trembled as she saw just how furious Daehyun was. This really wasn't good. Not at all.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A/N: Here's the first chapter! A little introduction to both Daehyun's and Mina's characters! Hope you guys liked it.

'Till next time.. <3