Chapter 24

Burning Love {Changed the Title}

 

 

Seungri had convinced Harumi to redon the shimmery nightgown from the night before and she sat curled in his lap in a chair on their private terrace a little after sunrise.

 

“Just a minute. Let me show you.” She jumped off his lap and went in search of the small white stick. She found it with the hatpin on the floor of the guestroom.

 

She went back out onto the terrace and couldn’t help smiling at the picture her husband presented in nothing but a pair of black silk boxers. Her gown covered more of her body with fabric, but none of it with modesty and his eyes gleamed their appreciation at her as she approached him.

 

She knelt down on the tile by his knees and presented the pregnancy test to him. “I’m pregnant with your baby, SeungHyun.”

 

His eyes widened, then narrowed in understanding. “You are giving me a second chance.”

 

“Love can erase the mistakes of the past.”

 

Something profound moved across his features and he reached for the stick. “I can think of nothing greater in life than to have you carry my child.”

 

They were the words she had wanted to hear so much five months ago and she smiled with a radiance she made no effort to hide. “I love you.”

 

She’d said it so many times over the past hours, the words should have lost their impact, but she knew they never would and the expression on his face told her he felt the same.“I love you, Harumi. Never leave me again.”

 

“Never,” she agreed fervently.

 

He leaned down and kissed her softly before lifting her back into his lap.“I still feel bad about your grandfather,” she admitted.

 

“Why should you feel this?”

 

“All those awful news stories. They must have devastated him.”

 

Seungri tilted her chin so they were looking into one another’s eyes. “It was not the tabloid gossip that upset Grandfather so badly he had another attack.”

 

Guilt chased across Seungri’s features. “I am fully to blame.”

 

“But…”

 

“Grandfather didn’t even see the news stories until after coming out of the hospital.”

 

“I don’t understand.”

 

“I told my grandfather I couldn’t marry Phoebe and then I told him why.”

 

“Because I was pregnant with your baby.”

 

He shook his head, his eyes warming her. “Because I love you. He had the heart attack when he started yelling at me for being a fool after I admitted I’d evicted you from the apartment and could not find you.”

 

She couldn’t take it in. “You already knew you weren’t going to marry Phoebe before the tabloids ran the gossip about us?”

 

“I knew I wasn’t going to marry Phoebe the day you told me you were pregnant, but I was insane with unreasonable jealousy, angry at myself, angry at my grandfather. I went off the rails and didn’t get back on them until I saw you standing next to your sister that first night in Tokyo.”

 

“I don’t know. You acted pretty derailed then too.”

 

“She told me you had died! Do you have any idea what that did to me?”

 

She was beginning to have an inkling. If he had loved her, and now she knew he had, such news would have been soul destroying. “I’m sorry, SeungHyun.”

 

She leaned forward and kissed him, wanting to heal the hurts of the past. He kissed her back with enough passion to leave her gasping for breath a minute later.

 

“I don’t know if I can ever forgive myself for what I did to you.”

 

Her eyes misted, but she smiled. “Please. You have to. I don’t want to spend the rest of my life looking back. My present is glorious now that you are in it, now that I know you love me!”

 

“I saw the paparazzi outside the restaurant in Tokyo and did nothing,” he said with the air of a man who felt he had to admit everything.

 

She tried to figure out what he was saying. “Are you saying you wanted them to make the connection with my Alexandra identity?”

 

He did his best to look humble, but it didn’t come naturally. “I realize this was wrong.”

 

“But you would do it again.”

 

“I was desperate,” he defended.

 

Seungri desperate. Her heart just melted. “That’s really sweet, SeungHyun.”

 

“You are not angry with me?” he asked warily.

 

She snuggled closer, curling her fingers in his chest. “No. It’s flattering to think of my husband so desperate he stooped to nefarious means to win me,” she said cheekily.

 

“I will never let you go again,” he growled against her temple and then did something truly amazing with his tongue to her ear.

 

She shivered with the excitement only he could generate. “You’re stuck with me for life, Lee SeungHyun.”

 

“Count on it.”

 

The baby kicked and they both laughed. She rubbed the taut skin over the protruding little foot. “He approves.”

 

“You look very y in that nightgown, even more y than you did when I first bought it.”

 

“Over six months pregnant and you think I’m ier than I was when we first met?” she mocked, secretly thrilled by the compliment.

 

He didn’t smile at her joke. “Yes. ier. More beautiful. More everything because now you are mine and I know you are mine.”

 

“For the rest of my life,” she affirmed.