A New Step

Fading Stars

 

Still unable to get rid of the yearning in his heart to help the other with whatever was troubling him, Jinseok watched as Seyong walked towards his usual seat. His fingers lightly tapped on the counter, making random rhythms that came up to his mind.

A small smile lingered on his lips as the rhythms led him to remember his childhood dream – to become a singer. He would always listen to whatever music he would stumble upon and watch whatever performances he saw on television, awed by how glorious and thrilling an experience on such a stage would be. Whenever he was alone, he would sing quietly to himself, imagining that he was in front of an audience that liked his voice and his music.

A content sigh escaped him when it was interrupted by a metal clang on the floor of the café. Jinseok snapped out of his reverie to look at the source of the noise, but relaxed when he saw that it was only Seyong’s phone that had accidentally dropped out of his pocket.

“Phew, I almost thought something broke,” he muttered softly to himself as he saw Seyong bend over to pick up his phone. Before he turned his gaze away from the redhead, something odd caught his eye.

A hint of white cloth under his black shirt. Jinseok was almost certain that they were bandages.

He gasped as he realized the only thing it could represent. Was Seyong hurt?

Any sort of physical injury would be fatal for a dancer and Jinseok could only imagine how it would feel to not be able to do something that one had been doing for so long. He bit his lower lip, looking away from everything and heading into the kitchen to think quietly.

This was all too sudden. He’d never even expected such a serious problem. If there really were a critical physical injury, Seyong’s whole future could be in jeopardy. The boy rubbed his temples slowly, not knowing what to do at all and slowly digesting the shock he had just experienced.

Jinseok didn’t want to jump to conclusions, but he now knew that he had to talk to Seyong.

 

★☆★

 

“I can do this, I can do this. Yes, Jinseok. Come on, you can do this,” Jinseok continuously breathed as he walked towards Seyong’s table. He was so nervous he was shivering. And it wasn’t even cold inside the café at all.

What was he supposed to say anyway? Why hello there, I’ve been watching you for months now and you seem different so I wanted to know what was wrong so I could continue my fantasies of y-

No. Jinseok shook his head forcefully. He was going to keep it cool. Yep, keeping it cool. Not weird at all.

He knew he could just give up now, but he didn’t want to. He already cared too much for this person whom he hadn’t even talked to yet. He knew it was silly. Yet, he also felt that it would be one of the last chances to get closer to Seyong. He was way too knowledgeable about how much he wanted that.

Like usual, Seyong had his earphones plugged in, tapping his feet to the beat as he looked through some papers in a white folder. Jinseok carefully approached him, trying to calm his heart that he could hear so loudly, as if it were beating in his ears instead of in his chest.

Just one more step. One more, then just sit down and say hi.

He couldn’t believe he was doing this as the chair got closer and closer and finally – he was sitting across from Seyong.

The dancer looked up from his papers, and surprise, mixed with quite a bit of recognition, flashed across his face. He pulled his earphones out, his eyes wide from the confusion of the sudden happening.

“Um, hi.” Jinseok smiled genuinely, his eyes curving into small crescents.

“Why, hey there!” Seyong replied rather brightly, but still unable to hide the surprise from his voice.

The waiter decided to make the most of this chance. “I’m Chae Jinseok.”

“Kim Seyong.”

Realizing how weird and abrupt everything had happened, Jinseok shyly chuckled a little. “I-I apologize if this is… weird. I know it probably is, but yeah, I’m sorry about that. I was just bored, I guess. And you come here all the time, so… why not get to know you?”

Jinseok slowly died inside when he realized how creepy that just sounded. He pinched his leg unnoticeably beneath the table.

“No, it’s fine, really. Don’t be sorry about it. I do come here often, that’s true.” Seyong flashed a grin, not finding the situation increasingly disturbing or weird as much.

“Heh, yeah.” Jinseok scratched his head awkwardly. “You’re a dancer, right?”

“Oh, you noticed?” The redhead’s eyes widened. “Well, I guess it’s pretty obvious, huh.”

“Of course, you’re always concentrated on some choreography or beat. I sometimes see you sneak in a move or two.”

Oh, man. More creepiness.

“Aigoo, you’ve seen that?” Seyong said sheepishly, finding it funny that a stranger would notice so much about him.

“Yeah, of course. I mean, it’s so freaking boring back there on the counter. All I do is watch people.”

Oh Jesus, Chae Jinseok. Stop implying that you like to stalk people in your free time! Jinseok pledged to go spend hours with Joonkyu hyung in order to punish himself. Being with the weird hyung was a punishment by itself, right?

“Seems so.” Seyong seemed amused, then his face slightly fell. “Well, I can’t… really dance anymore.”

Jinseok didn’t expect the topic to rise so quickly. He tried hard not to sound too interested. “Oh? …Why not?”

“I-It’s a long story, I guess. When I was younger, I hurt my hip while dancing. I was careless back then and tried reckless moves instead of sticking with the ones that I was working on.” The boy shifted in his seat. “I didn’t think it was a huge inj—I didn’t think it would be an injury at all, actually. But now it came back to haunt me. Since I haven’t treated it at all, it’s gotten much worse.”

The waiter listened carefully, biting the side of his bottom lip as he realized the magnitude of the problem. “I’m really sorry about what happened. And… you don’t have to talk about it if you feel uncomfortable. I mean, it must be hard for you to talk about such things.”

“It’s not a big deal, really. Everyone in my dance team knows already, and none of them really seem to care much about it. I don’t even mind if people know anymore.”

“They don’t care? What do you mean?” Jinseok was becoming furious. “You’re a member of their team, shouldn’t they be worried about you?”

“It’s a corrupted world, Jinseok-sshi. The dancers there, they’re just hungry for fame and publicity. We call ourselves a team but each of us are after our own dream, our own fortune, our own fame.” He sighed. “It’s better for them if they have less competition, I guess.”

“That’s horrible. That’s just… not right at all. They don’t even have basic human sympathy!”

“That’s how it is, I guess. I’ll just have to it up and… become something else.”

“Wait, you can’t dance anymore?”

“I don’t think so. My hip probably isn’t going to let me dance again.”

“But… I believe miracles could happen.” Jinseok blurted without thinking. People always told him he was naïve, innocent, and unknowing of how things really were. But he really believed, ever since he was young up until now, that miracles really did exist, and that they happened to those who actually deserved them.

“Miracles?”

“Yeah. If there is anyone I know who is most deserving of a miracle right now, it’s you. And they exist, so if you try, and I try, and everyone else tries, I strongly believe it’ll happen.”

“You’re very optimistic.” Seyong said skeptically.

“I’m just speaking the truth. Come on, I’ll help you. I know you can dance again. If your future is destroyed just because of this, it’s just… not right. Things don’t work like that!”

“I—I don’t know. I really appreciate how much you care about me, Jinseok-sshi. But… sometimes we have to be practical.”

“Being practical is trying hard until a miracle actually happens. And… just Jinseok is fine.”

“Whatever you say, Jinseok-ssh- Jinseok.”

The younger boy flushed a bit, liking how his name sounded when Seyong said it. …Wait, what?! He shook his head, getting rid of the weird thought.

“I’ll be heading home now. It was fun talking to you, really. Talk to you again tomorrow?”

“Huh, oh, yeah! Certainly.” Jinseok said, flustered at the invitation for another conversation. Nevertheless, he was still feeling determination, rage, and sympathy because of he had just heard.

“Oh and…” Seyong stopped before he headed out the door. “You can drop the formality as well.”

“So… Seyong hyung?” Jinseok said with a smile.

“Yeah, that sounds… good.” The other boy smiled back with a nod. He waved and walked off.

Jinseok couldn’t wipe the smile off his face as he tried to ignore the funny feeling in his stomach. It felt like… something was going to happen. Something good. A miracle, maybe. And he was definitely going to help make it come true.

 


→ ( ✴ ) From silver;
Long time no see! My writer's block is definitely getting better I think, so I wrote a longer chapter to celebrate! /cheers
I'm sorry if the ending is so lame... I tried to emphasize Chaejin's innocence in dealing with Seyong's problem. If you feel like the story is pacing too quickly, please tell me ;u; I'm not planning to make this a very long chaptered story, more of a short one. So I felt the need to speed things up (and make them actually talk, jeez). 
I hope you like this update (SEJIN FLUFF! *^*) and please comment since those really help me to continue writing. c:
Thank you all so much for staying with me with my slow updates <3 /sends you all love
P.S. I changed my username orz. But I'll still go by silver. c: