First Attempts

Fading Stars

Footsteps lighter than usual, Jinseok took his usual place behind the counter and kept track of the minutes until noon. He quietly hummed a song, his hopes up in seeing Seyong again today. He looked at his reflection from the glass display of different pastries and breads, fixing his hair a bit. It was a good idea to get these highlights, he silently told himself and couldn't help but laugh a bit at the compliment he had  received yesterday. 

"...What's up with you today Jinnie?" Joonkyu said, looking at him weirdly. "What's so funny?" He came over and peered into the glass display, scratching his head.

"W-What? Oh, uh... the... the tiramisu cake looks so funny today, hahaha!" Jinseok lied awkwardly while sticking his tongue out slightly, clearly flustered at being caught... fantasizing about Seyong. 

"You're one weird kid, you know." The hyung shook his head, and Jinseok was surprised he actually believed the lie. "I knew ever since I met you, little one." 

Jinseok was relieved the conversation had ended quickly, but he also felt a little weird about it. He was so not weird. Kang Joonkyu was weird. Hmph. Well, being so interested in someone he hadn't even met officially yet was weird, he thought, but... ugh, whatever. It made him easy to dismiss the thoughts as he saw a familiar figure approaching the cafe.

Wait... maybe not so familiar. Jinseok could never get used to Seyong not smiling every day. Seriously, what was up? He wanted to ask so, so, so bad, but he knew it wouldn't be a good decision. Like always, he got up and grinned at the customer. "The usual?" 

He really hoped whatever Seyong was going through... was solved quickly. Because he really hated this. He hated the silence before the reply, and most of all he hated the reply itself.

"Just water today, please." 

Something was really wrong. Like really, really, really wrong. Jinseok was sure of it. "Ah, okay." He replied, but on the inside, he had a flurry of thoughts. No, this was not a matter of Seyong being more thirsty today or craving water on this particular day. It was really unusual for him to be like this. Jinseok wasn't his closest friend or whatever, but he knew. 

His hand almost trembled as he served the glass of water on the tray and handed it to the customer, not knowing if he should say something. He wished he was one of those people who can strike up a conversation with a stranger so naturally. Becuase unfortunately, Jinseok was one of those awkward people. Those people who ended a conversation when it was left to them. What would he even ask the stranger anyway? Why did you order water today? Why aren't you smiling?

He sighed as he ran a hand through his hair that now didn't seem so important anymore. Those sounded more like threats, let alone conversation starters. "What is my problem? I can't even talk to people now, is that it?" He muttered angrily as he sat down on a chair. Joonkyu was busy with his game again, so Jinseok was luckily kept in peace as he continued his overheated tirade.

Jinseok knew he was getting worked up about this way too much. Here he was, getting mad at himself because of a stranger who doesn't even know his name. 

Thinking about that just angered him further, though. "Argh!" He almost kicked the counter, stopping himself just before he smashed the whole thing. 

"...Dude, what's wrong with you. Take a chill pill." Joonkyu stared at him. "Just a while ago, you were laughing at a tiramisu cake. Now you're pissed off?" 

Jinseok didn't say anything.

"Do you need anger management classes?"

"HYUNG!" 

"I'm sorry, man, I was just curious what was wrong. Continue on with your uh... rage." 

The younger male was actually glad that his hyung didn't ask for details, as it would have been seriously embarrassing to explain the reason for his anger right now. Joonkyu hyung wouldn't even keep it to himself anyway. As soon as he told his hyung, Joonkyu would probably yell out "WHAT?! YOU LIKE HIM?" on the spot. Which would not be the best thing to yell in a quiet cafe.

He shook his head and picked up a novel he had been reading the night before and tried to read, the words not making sense to him at all. I can't even read now..., he admitted in exasperation.

★ ☆ ★ 

The sound of a tray setting down on the counter made Jinseok look up from the novel he'd been trying to read - more like decipher - for a few hours now. It was Seyong. He had emptied the cup of water and was about to leave.

Just as he started to walk away, Jinseok suddenly had the courage he didn't have earlier (from heaven knows where) and called out to him. "Wait!"

The redhead turned around, his blank face staring at the cafe worker. "Yes?" 

Oh how Jinseok wanted to see that smile again. Not that emotionless face. Urgh, whatever. He needs to take this chance. It might be the only one he has.

"...Is something wrong?"

Jinseok wanted to kill himself. Mentally facepalming a million times, he almost screamed. The best thing he could say was that? Is something wrong? Like seriously? The question was way too ambiguous, let alone way too blunt. 

"I'm sorry?" 

"Nononono, it's nothing really haha it's nothing just uh I don't even know. It's nothing."

Jinseok was going to jump off the roof of the building after this. He didn't even understand the multitude of words coming out of his mouth and he just flushed bright red as he scurried into the coffee making room, avoiding having to confront Seyong's face. Oh my god. He'd ruined the moment. He'd butchered it. No one would do a better job than him making something awkward. 

He wanted to cry. There was no chance he was going to get even close to talking to Seyong anymore.

 


→ ( ✴ ) From silver;
omfg I don't even know what's up with this update. I just wrote anything, like seriously. It's a horrible chapter, I'm so sorry. ;____; I know I haven't updated in a while so I wanted to update at least today. Please ignore my weird sense of humor omg lol. It's probably not even funny aghsljfldsf. 
I honestly don't know what I did with this chapter. It doesn't even contribue significantly to the story oh dear god. Please just ignore me alkfjlkjadlsjf
Comments would be much appreciated. ;u; And subscriptions. c':