Hurting

Breaking

 

Krystal was in an exceptionally good mood today. Not even seeing Taemin and Sulli act all lovey dovey together could ruin her day. Okay, maybe it still bothered her a little, but not as much as it usually would. 
 
And of course Taemin noticed this too. He was Krystal's best friend of eight years, after all.
 
For no particular reason, Krystal broke into a silly grin. Taemin was watching her closely, and he was completely caught off guard when she suddenly smiled. He hadn't seen his best friend smile in eons—not that he was complaining; Krystal looked like a goddess when she smiled. But why was she smiling now, in the middle of maths class on a Thursday afternoon?
 
"Yah, Soojung-ah," he whispered when Mr Park had his back to the class. Krystal didn't hear him. She was completely spaced out. Taemin tried again, this time, slightly louder but still keeping it to a whisper. "Soojung-ah..."
 
Krystal finally snapped out of her thoughts. She turned to face Taemin and blinked a few times. "Hmm?"
 
Taemin pinched his eyebrows together as he studied Krystal's distracted expression. Something was definitely up with her today. "What's with you today? You're so spacey, and you keep smiling like an idiot at the randomest moments."
 
"I didn't know smiling was a crime," Krystal retorted. 
 
"I never said it was," Taemin began, "but what's on your mind today? Did something good happen to you yesterday? Is it your parents? Are they on better terms now?"
 
"Nope," Krystal stated, "Parents are still trying kill each other."
 
"Did something good happen to Jessica-noona?" Taemin guessed again, "You may act like you hate her, but I know how much you love your sister, so much so that it puts you in a good mood whenever something good happens to her. You're not even like that with me. Soojung-ah, I'm jealous." Taemin stuck his lower lip out and pouted cutely.
 
Krystal rolled her catlike eyes. "Stop trying to act cute around me, Taemin. You know your aegyeo doesn't work on me."
 
Taemin pointed accusingly at her. "Liar!" he declared, a little too loudly.
 
Mr Park turned around and gave Taemin his infamous 'death glare' and turned around again to write more math equations on the board.
 
Taemin turned to face Krystal again. "Soojung-ah, I'm really curious. I'll do anything for you if you just tell me what happened that's got you in such a good mood today. I'll might die if you don't tell me."
 
"Am I invited to your funeral?" she asked with a straight face.
 
-X-
 
There's that feeling again—that uncomfortable lump that was growing in , and that pang of jealousy that was an all-too-familiar feeling. She would do anything to be in Sulli's position right now. Anything.
 
"Sulli-ah, don't ever do that again, okay? I was so jealous when I found out you went out with another guy. Even if it wasn't a date, I still don't want you going out with another guy without telling me first." Taemin spoke so affectionately that it made Krystal want to puke. 
 
Sulli nodded. "Mianhe, oppa."
 
Taemin smiled at her and pulled her into a tight hug. All was forgiven. The two lovers pulled back and Taemin planted a soft kiss on Sulli's forehead. "Sulli-ah, saranghaeyo..."
 
It was amazing how he was bringing so much hurt to Krystal without even realising it. First, he gets jealous and protective over Sulli (Krystal has always wanted someone to be protective over her), then all Sulli has to do is apologise once (once!) and she would get hugs and kisses from Taemin. And last but certainly not least, he tells her he loves her. Seriously, Choi Jinri has got to be the luckiest girl alive. 
 
Just when Krystal thought she'd finally have a good day, it was ruined by the single person whom she wished she could call hers and could bring her happiness.
 
"Soojung-ah, you coming?" Taemin's gentle voice brought her back to reality.
 
Krystal merely nodded and walked behind the love birds awkwardly. She hated being the third wheel, especially to the boy she was so deeply in love with. She wanted so badly to be happy for Taemin—because he seemed so happy when he was with Sulli—and she wanted to move on, but her heart wouldn't let go. Day by day, her feelings towards Taemin only grew stronger and stronger. And she hated how she loved him, because she knew that he would never feel the same way—not about her, Krystal Jung, the heartless, ruthless .
 
Krystal was standing outside her house and she could hear her parents' yelling at each other at the top of their lungs. They were fighting again. And they aren't at work, so must be going on. Krystal wasn't in the mood to face her parents right now. She wanted to get her mind off things. 
 
Krystal found herself wanting to call up Sehun to ask him whether he was free to hang out. It was completely out of character, because Krystal Jung, the cold-blooded princess, never asked to 'hang out' with anyone, not even Taemin. It had always been the other way around. If Taemin knew about this, he'd probably and she'd never hear the end of it.
 
Her heartbeat quickened at the mere thought of Taemin. What did she like so much about him anyway? Was it his charming personality? The way he cared so deeply for everyone around him? Was it his heart-melting smile? Or the way he said her name that she never failed to make her heart flutter? Maybe it was his sweet singing voice or amazing dancing skills that he always used to woo the ladies?
 
Krystal smacked herself in the forehead. *Stop thinking about him, you idiot.* With a sigh, Krystal took out her phone and called Sehun.
 
-X-
 
"I was so happy when you called me," Sehun said, "It hasn't even been twenty-four hours and you miss me already."
 
Krystal rolled her eyes. "Don't make me regret calling you," she hissed.
 
 
Sehun laughed. This girl really was something... "So where do you want to go?" he asked.
 
Krystal shrugged. "Don't know, don't care. Just help me forget everything." *About my ty life, ty school and ty non-existent love life.*
 
"Araso," Sehun said with a nod, "I know exactly where we can go."