Don't Judge a Book by its Cover

Creating My Own Dream Oneshot Request ~ Closed

luxubu - yongseo

Imagine me and you I do
I think about you day and night 
It's only right 
To think about the girl you love 
And hold her tight 
So happy together
 

9 o’clock. Thursday morning. Mrs. Lee Psychology class. Seo Joo Hyun three rows behind to the left next to the window.

Yonghwa sat in the front row right in the middle of the large lecture room like he does for every class. He’s always thirty minutes early and is never afraid of asking questions. No matter what people said, he doesn’t believe studying should be classified as a ‘boring or uncool’ act. Nor does he believe that the want to have peace and quiet is defined as ‘forever alone’. But what can he say, everyone judges including her.   

Every once in a while, he would secretly glance back to the girl of his dreams. Her soft looks and pure beauty caught his eye the second she walked into the room years ago. Like any book, the contents could always be twisted. With her story, it was. What he hoped for turned out to be uglier than he thought. Part of the known queen bee group even in college, Seo Joo Hyun had an ice for a heart. And a poker face enough to scare an angry bird. Yet despite all of those crazy facts, he knows deep down she’s different. Everyday he’s feels himself falling more and more in love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Class finally ends. Everyone is getting ready to leave. Right when he stands up to get ready, he hears.

“Stop staring, you creep.” Yoona laughs, nudging Seohyun to look towards him.

He immediately looks back towards the board, praying that the embarrassment would end. He ignores the snickers coming out from that one corner and even some that's from the front of the room. He ends up packing his things as if the school was on fire. But queen bees don’t back down without a fight, and Sooyoung, the tallest of them all, appear from out of nowhere.

“You wanna get to her. You gotta get through us.” All nine of them are circling around him, while she’s in the back looking bored. For now all he can do is stand nervously, holding his notebook tightly.

Before he could even do or say anything, Jessica, the coldest of them all knocks down his things. "Next time look at us when we're talking to you." She whispers, as her index finger trails along the side of his right cheek. Then the leader Kim Taeyeon with just one snap of her finger got them all to leave the classroom. There she goes, strutting out the door without one sound.

As he picked up his things, he really hoped no one saw what was in his book.

If I should call you up invest a dime 
And you say you belong to me
And ease my mind 
Imagine how the world could be
So very fine 
So happy together 

Sitting in the shade under a big oak tree, Yonghwa started to once again scribble in his notebook. His masterpiece was almost complete, he could feel it in the tips of his fingers. But he knew he would never finish it if he kept staring at her. The way she flipped her hair and laughed at every word the other said got him boiled up inside to the point where he left a hole in the corner of his sheet. Then when she’s shy, her fingers would get all twisted up and her left foot would always be on the tip of her toes. What he hated most was when she would pout when someone made fun of her. Because her soft lips would poke out, almost calling for his lips to be upon them.

But he knows her. He knows that it took more than a leather jacket and a silver spoon to break into her metal heart. So he goes back to his notebook, happily scribbling down his thoughts. That is until he hears a slight clicking sound that usually associates itself with the queen bee’s groups departure or arrival. He was going to ignore it when he a slight shriek blasted through his ears.

When he looks up, Seohyun was in the grip of the stupid jock. He looked angry, while she kept her hard stare. All this time, her unnies just stood there. This was the last straw for him. Yes, he flirted with her, touched her hair, and caressed her arm. But he had no right to forcefully hold her like that especially when she looked uncomfortable and almost a bit scared.

Throwing everything in his book bag without a care, he grabbed his stuff and stomped his way over to the scene. Everyone gasped in shock when he pushed the muscular guy away and held onto her hand himself.

“Don’t you dare touch her like that.” He snarled, eyes looking straight at Kyuhyun.

His opponent smirked and cracked his knuckles. “Look at this nerd.” Kyuhyun chuckled at his friends before turning towards him. “What? You got a problem, huh? Let me see if I can fix that.”

Yonghwa didn’t even flinch throughout the whole scene. All he could think about was that he, right now, was holding onto her hand, and she even trying to let go.

Kyuhyun threw a punch, but missed as Yonghwa dodged it and threw one back that hit him square in the face. Everyone gasped as the jock fell backwards onto the ground, shaking his head at the hit. Yonghwa took the moment Kyuhyun flew back to say, “If I see you touch her one more time, I won’t be so nice.” 

With that he dragged her away from the chaos. He didn’t stop even when Tiffany scoffed, Hyoyeon rolled her eyes, Yuri screamed for him to come back and at Sunny's bored expression.

I can see me lovin' nobody but you
For all my life 
When you're with me baby the skies'll be blue 
For all my life 

He brought her to the nurse’s room even though she hit him and angrily told him that she didn’t need to be there. But the bruise on her wrists made him worry and he had to know she was going to be alright.

Throughout the entire examine, she refused to look him in the eye even threw him an icy glare when the nurse said that nothing was wrong with her. Though she did receive a small ice pack so the bruise wouldn’t swell. Afterwards, she would coolly walk out the room like he wasn’t even there. Storm down the halls with her bad girl attitude and out the door without even a  single glance back.

His heart flopped like a fish without water. His eyes only glued to her vanishing figure. But he can’t give up now, especially when everything escalated this far. He needed her to understand his actions. So he fasten his walk until she was clearly visible from him. Sitting on the other side of the bus stop, he took out his notebook to finish his project. He knows that she is dying to take a peek, but with that stubborn head of hers, she’ll just sit there. In order to draw more temptation, he would loudly speak of his mistakes or yawn, stretching his arms wide open, letting the notebook be more vulnerable to other’s eyes.

No matter what he did. She sat there frozen, muttering how some guys are stupid. Some should just leave her alone, because she’s not easy nor does she want to play in the game of silly infatuation.

“It’s not infatuation.” He said loudly to himself though more to her. “It’s stronger. Something that makes not only my heart beat but my soul to become alive also.”

Scoffing, she kicked a pebble on the floor. “Infatuation is the devil’s work in disguise. It looks beautiful on the outside, but on the inside it’s nothing but mixed feelings and broken hearts.”

“Sounds like someone I know.”

He watches as snaps shut and her eyes go back to looking at the street. They stay in this awkward silence until she speaks out, “After all these years of my bullying, my unreciprocated love at school, you still don’t back down do you?” She stares at him with challenging eyes that dare him to say those words.

Because I love you.

“Baby this is love.”

Me and you and you and me
No matter how they toss the dice 
It had to be
The only one for me is you
And you for me
So happy together 

The bus finally arrived. Yonghwa scrambled to get his things back into his bag. Carefully he walked behind her and to her dismay, he sat next to her.

Giving a look of complete boredom and radiating hatred, Seohyun kept peeking up at the awkward man next to him. She tried hard not to smile at his anxiousness or the way he fiddled with his fingers. But failed when a warm smile ghosted her lips. Images of him standing so bravely in front of her flashed in her head. She couldn’t stop the pink glow from brightening up her pink cheeks.

"No." She whispered to herself. She promised to not be like this in public, but yet here she is staring at him like a school girl creeping on her crush.

Noticing her shy smile, Yonghwa let out a small chuckle. He carefully moves his hands to the back of his head while kicking his legs straight. Even if it’s just for this one day, he’s going to act all arrogant. Because he knows that the reason for the blush on her cheeks and the twinkling in her eyes is him.

“Stop being like that.” Seohyun smirked.

“Like what?” Yonghwa teased back.

Seohyun bit back a giggle, playfully pushing him away from her.

The books on his laps tumbled forward, landing on the floor with a thump. The other passengers looked back for a second before turning their heads towards the front. Both of them were extremely embarrassed by the situation, so they tried to grab everything and shove it away as fast as possible.

That was until Seohyun found his notebook. The one she saw earlier this morning with her name on it and some music notes. The book that troubled her mind and made her so curious that she was willing to steal it. With nimble hands, she snatched it away and opened its contents.

“That’s mine!” Yonghwa panicked, trying to snatch it back. But to his dismay, she pushed his face away and scanned through it.

Looking away, he sighed, bringing his hands to his face. “It wasn’t done yet. I wanted to give –“

A couple of fingers cut him off. His lips were shut tight and all he could do was move his eyes towards her direction. All he could see is the beautiful, warm, shy smile on her angelic face.

“I love it. I can already hear the music forming together.”

'Still in love with you' ...the lyrics touched her heart.

So happy together 
So happy together 
How is the weather 
So happy together 
We're happy together 
So happy together 
Happy together 
So happy together 
So happy together

Having a content grin plastered on her face, she gently laid her head on his shoulders.

“So when are you going to tell your friends we’re actually dating?” He asked, smiling at their intertwined fingers.

“Probably soon now. Especially after what happened today, I think everyone knows there’s something going on between us.” She said, giving his hand a small squeeze.

“I don’t think I can go another day not telling people that your mine. And only mine.” He said, reminiscing on their past. 

Looking into his eyes, Seohyun quickly gave him a small peck on the lips before laying her head back down. Leaving him with with a goofy smile on his face.

Like the saying, don’t judge a book by its cover. So he didn’t. With a little perserverance, determination and lots of love,  he broke through her facade and found out that she’s not as cold-hearted or intimidating as everyone thinks. She is just a regular girl, wanting to be loved and understood. So he gave it to her and for her, he was willing to give up the title. Though their love story has many twists and turns; the ending is nothing but perfect.