What A Lovely Day

Broken Hearted

   "Yah! What are you doing to my locker?" A guy was trying to open my locker by twisting the combination back and forth, then banging on it. I took a closer look at him and realized it was Yoon Doojun, the new kid. I ran up to the new kid and pulled him away from my locker. 

   "Your locker? This is MY locker." I squinted my eyes at the new kid and crossed my arms, wondering if he was lying or not.  "I'm not lying," he blurted. I raised my eyebrows and he sighed. The new kid took out a piece of paper from his pocket and held it out to me. "This is my locker number and combination." 

   Is this kid crazy? Who shows their locker combinations to strangers? I grabbed the piece of paper from the kid's hand and read what was written on it. Then I slapped him on the head. 

   "Yah! What was that for?!" he yelled, drawing attention from the people around us. 

   "Stupid!" I yelled back. "It says #3051 not #3501! Aish!"

   He stares at the piece of paper with wide eyes, then bursts out laughing. "I'm so stupid!" he manages to say in between laughs. I let out a snort and laugh along with him. He abruptly stops once I started laughing. 

   "What's wrong?" I ask. 

   The new kid shakes his head and says, "It's nothing. It's just... I've never seen you smile before." 

   I bark out a laugh. "You've known me since yesterday. How were you suppose to see me smile?" I say. 

   He shrugs. "My guides usually greet me with a smile," he says casually. 

   "Well, I was in a bad mood yesterday," I mumbled. A familiar song came on through the intercoms but I could barely hear it because there was a huge crowd of kids coming towards us. One of the kids bumped into me and I almost fell to the ground, but good thing Doojun was there because he caught me. Then he tripped over his feet and fell to the ground.  I bursted out laughing.

   "Yah! You think this is funny?" Doojun yells once the kids were gone. 

   I snickered. "Obviously, because if it wasn't funny, then I wouldn't be laughing." 

   "You little..!" He tried to get to his feet but he slipped again and fell on his face. I laughed even harder. Doojun cursed under his breath and just sat on the floor. My breathing slowed and I finally stopped laughing. I looked at Doojun and realized he's been watching me all this time. I cleared my throat and offered my hand to him.

   "You might slip again," I joked. 

   "Haha, very funny." Doojun grabbed my hand and got on his feet without any difficulties. 

   "Come on, we gotta get to class," I say. I opened my locker and threw my bag in it. "Hand me your schedule."  Doojun obeys and gives me his schedule without saying anything. Once I took a good look at his schedule, I handed it back to him. "Huh. That's weird. You're in every single one of my classes," I say and glare at him. 

   Doojun shrugs. "I didn't want to get lost so I just asked to rearrange my schedule." 

   "Why would you change all of your classes just so I can show you around?" I say. 

   "I didn't change any of my classes. I picked the same classes you picked but the only difference was that we didn't have them together," he says and opens his locker, the one right across from mine. We head to class and the teacher yells at me for being late but she doesn't yell at Doojun. She just gives him a sweet smile and lets him introduce himself. 

   "Well, aren't you a teacher's pet," I say after class is done and we're walking back to our lockers. 

   Doojun chuckles. "It's a special gift of mine," he jokes. Once we get to our lockers, Gikwang is waiting for us. 

   "Doojun!" he yells. "You must be the new kid everyone's been talking about."

   "Everyone's talking about me?" he says and looks at me. 

   I nod and sigh. "You and your sister." Doojun and Gikwang make light conversation while we walk to our 2nd hour class. We all have Vocals fo our 2nd hour. I listen to them and realize something. This was our usual routine. Me, JB, and Gikwang. JB and Gikwang would wait for me at my locker and we'd all go to 2nd hour together. Now, it seems like Doojun is JB's replacement. And maybe he is.  

...

    After 8th period, I show the rest of the school to Doojun. My first impression of him was that I thought he was a total jerk because of how his sister acted. But now? He's almost as nice as Gikwang. Almost. We were now walking on the soccer field.

   "How'd you get in the school?" I suddenly ask. 

   Doojun glances at me in surprise. "What?"

   "What's your talent?" I ask. "You didn't just get in here because you have money, did you?"

   "N-No! I didn't get in here because of that," he says. "Why? Do people use their money just to get in here?"

   I nod and sigh. "Not all of us, though." I take a seat on the grass and realized we were in the middle of the field. "You still haven't answered my question though."

   Doojun smiles and sits down beside me. "Isn't it obvious?" he says. "I'm here because of soccer."

   I raise my eyebrows in surprise. "Really?" I say. "That's cool. Not a lot of people play sports here." 

   "What about you?" he says and lays down on the grass. "Soccer too?"

   "Nope." 

   "Singing?"  I laugh and shake my head. Doojun sighs and pretends to think. "Hints please?" I purse my lips and look at the sky. Then a brilliant idea comes to my mind. I stand up and do the Taeyang move. (Stand on the tip of your toes and grab your crotch). Doojun cracks up and gets on his feet. "I guess it's dancing?" he says. 

   I smile and nod at him. Doojun glances at his watch and sighs. "Come on, we gotta go. It's almost time for soccer practice."

   I furrow my eyebrows. "What time is it?" I say. 

   "It's almost 3:30," he replies and starts walking back to the school.

   "What?!" I yell. "3:30?!!! Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. I'm late!" I grabbed my bag from the ground and sprinted to the school gate. 

   "Yah!" Doojun yells after me. "Where are you going?!" I ignored him and kept running. Once I was out of the school grounds, I ran faster. Jumba Juice was about two blocks away from my school. That's where I work. I had to get a part-time job to pay for my tuition fee. My parents didn't think it was a good idea for me to go to an Arts school. They finally gave in after I begged and begged and begged. But here was the catch: they're only paying for half of my tuition. The other half, I had to pay for myself. Since I didn't get allowance and I had no way of earning money, I just got a job. Here at Jumba Juice, was where I met my best friend. Not Gikwang, but my girl best friend. 

   Yong Kyung Mi stood behind the counter as I stumbled in the cafe. "Yah!" she half whisper, half yells. "Where have you been? You're seven minutes late!" I glanced at the clock. It was 3:38. I smiled to myself. I just ran a mile in seven minutes. 

   As I was putting my apron on, Doojun appears outside our cafe. "Ae Rin, check out the hot guy in front of the cafe," Kyung Mi says. 

   I laugh. "Hot guy?" I repeated. "I thought you had better standards than that."

   Kyung Mi slaps me with a rag. "Oh, come on. You gotta admit he's cute," she sing-songs. "But not as cute as Gikwang~!" I laughed. Gikwang and Kyung Mi had this weird flirt relationship. It wasn't serious or anything, thank goodness.

   "I'll be right back," I say and make a move to the door. 

   "You gonna go check him out?" Kyung Mi says after me. 

   I flash her a grin and say, "Just wait here." I walked outside and slapped Doojun's back. He jumped and turned around. 

   "Yah!" he yelled. "I've been looking everywhere for you! Why'd you run away like that?" He finally stops talking and takes a good look at what I was wearing. A plaid skirt with orange shoes that matches the Jumba Juice apron. He starts laughing and says, "What the heck are you wearing?"

   I rolled my eyes. "Obviously my uniform," I say. 

   "Wait," he says. "You work here?" I nod and smile. "Do you think you could get me a discount?" he whispers and winks at me.

   "Aish!" I slapped his head and walked back inside. 

   "Yah!" Doojun follows me and as expected, Kyung Mi had her full attention to us. "What was that for?"

   "Doojun-ssi," I say and turn around and face him. "Please leave me alone. Aren't you late for soccer practice?"

   Doojun rolls his eyes and says, "Forget soccer practice. I'm staying."

   "You better-" Before I could finish my death threat, Kyung Mi butts in.

   "May I help you, sir?" she says politely. Doojun smirks and turns around to face Kyung Mi. 

   "Yes, I'd like a..." He trails off and eyes the menu. "Mango smoothie please." 

   "Coming right up," Kyung Mi sings and shoots me a smirk. 

   "Whatever," I mumbled. "Well, I gotta get back to work." Doojun shrugs and takes a seat in a booth near the back. I walk back to Kyung Mi and glare at her as she happily blends the mango.

   "What?" she says innocently. 

   "Don't 'what' me," I snap. "I know what you're thinking."

   "Yeah, whatever. I call dibs, by the way." Kyung Mi pours the mango into a cup and throws the blender into the sink. 

   "Dibs on Doojun?" I repeat. "Go ahead." Kyung Mi laughs at me and tells me to give the smoothie to Doojun. I refuse and she takes it to him herself. At the end of my shift, Doojun was still sitting in the booth. I glanced at the clock and saw that it was already 10:00 pm. I sighed and sat across from him. "Why are you still here?" I say. 

   Doojun looks up from his homework and smiles. "I was waiting for you," he says. 

   "Yeah, I can tell but... Why?"

   Doojun shrugs. "Who's gonna drive you home?" he asked. I pursed my lips and pointed outside. Gikwang was sitting on the edge of the sidewalk, waiting for me. A look of disappointment washes over Doojun's face. "Well, that's too bad," he says. "I waited for you for six and a half hours just so I could drive you home. Gikwang's not about to ruin that." 

   I raised my eyebrows in surprise. "Well..." I looked outside and caught Gikwang's eyes. He smiled at me and waved to Doojun. "Go tell him that."  Doojun sighs, packs up his things, and makes his way to the door. "Yah, are you seriously gonna tell him off?" I say. 

   "Yes." Doojun opens the door and meets Gikwang outside. My eyes widened. Gikwang's not gonna like this. I stand back and lock the doors to the cafe while Gikwang and Doojun talk it out. "Dude, I waited for her for more than six hours," Doojun says. "Just let me take her home." 

   Gikwang glares at Doojun and sighs. "Alright," he says. "Just make sure she gets home in one piece."

   "No problem." Doojun smiles and they do the guy hand shake.

   Then Gikwang pulls me to the side. "What?" I say. "I can't believe you're actually gonna let him take me home." I cross my arms and pout. 

   Gikwang chuckles and says, "I thought you wanted him to." I shake my head and sigh. "I never said anything. But whatever, as long as I get home." Before I leave with Doojun, Gikwang gives me a quick hug. I smile at him and follow Doojun across the street. We walk in complete silence back to the school where Doojun left his car.

   "So..." Doojun starts. 

   "What?"

   "Are you and Gikwang...?" He doesn't finish his sentence because he knows I already know what he's gonna say. 

   "No." I look at him in the eyes to make sure he understands that I'm not lying. "Just best friends."

   "Since when?" he asks. 

   "Since birth," I say. 

   "Really?" Doojun says, not believing me.

   "Yes, really. We're neighbors and our parents know each other." 

   "Oh..." Doojun looks at the ground. 

   I clear my throat and say, "What about you?" 

   "Hm?"

   "Why'd you change schools?" I say and glance at him.  "My parents' jobs are complicated so we move around a lot."

   "Oh, that explains a lot," I mumble. 

   "What?" Doojun says and leans in closer. 

   "Nothing." I tilt my head back and watch the bright moon. We were almost at the school. 

   "Yeah, so is there really nothing going in between you and Gikwang?" he asks again. 

   I laugh. "No, nothing's going on," I say. "Why do you keep asking me that?" Doojun shrugs and doesn't say anything. In no time, we reach Doojun's car. It's a brand new red lamborghini. "Nice ride," I say. 

   He smiles. "Her name's Scarlet." I laugh out loud. "You named your car?" I say.

   He gives me a this crazy look and scoffs. "Uh, yeah!" 

   "Dork," I muttered and opened the passenger door. The ride home wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. We listened to loud music and sang our hearts out. The weird thing was, he knew exactly where to take me and I've never told him where I'd lived. 

   "Where's your house?" he asks as he's turning right on Lane Road. 

   "Just keep driving until you see an orange mail box," I tell him and lower down the music. "How'd you know where to turn to?"

   "I didn't. This is where I usually pass when I get home," he says. And while he's talking, he misses my street. 

   "Yah, you just missed the orange mail box," I say. 

   Doojun hits the brakes and I jerk forward. "Sorry," he apologizes and turns back. 

   "Wait," I say and put a hand on the steering wheel. 

   "What?" Doojoon says and looks at my hand.

   I smile. "I want to see your house." 

   "Um..." he glances at me and hesitates. 

   "Don't worry. I don't want to go in. I just want to know where you live," I say. 

   Doojun purses his lips and says, "Fine." I smile in satisfaction as he drives to his house.

   Two blocks later, I found myself sitting in front of Doojun's house. A small gasp escapes my lips as I realize who his neighbors are.

   "Something wrong?" Doojun asks. He follows my gaze out the window and smiles. "Oh, Park JB lives there."

   "You two are... friends?" I ask in a whisper. 

   Doojun nods. "Yeah, he's a pretty good soccer player. I have no idea why he quit the team, though," he says. 

   I don't say anything as I let the news sink in. Park JB, my ex-boyfriend, is Yoon Doojun's neighbor. And even worse, they're friends