He's Here

You're My Healer

My parents managed to move me from my hospital room to a small officetel in Seoul. The doctors advised me to not to out too often, but it didn't matter. I would walk alone on the streets at night and go back home when I saw the sun rising.

When I was about to leave, the door clicks open and entered a tall gentleman.

"Lay..."  I mumble, pushing him out of the way, trying to get past him.

He holds me down, "Where do you think you're going?" He sets down a cardboard box and grins. 

"...On your birthday."

We sit down side by side and he opens the cardboard box, revealing a small cake that had "Happy Birthday!" written all over it.

"Did you make this?" I tried to stifle a laugh when I saw the fingerprints on the sides.

Lay pouts and he nods. He sings to me, and I blew out the candles.

"What'd you wish for?" Lay asks as he pours me a cup of tea.

"Can't tell you!" I smile and take a fork out of my mouth. The cake tasted bitter and cold.

He nods and stretches his arms, yawning. "I wanna take a nap..." he stands up and walks around, navigating the small apartment.

Don't go in my room! I wanted to scream, but I just stared at him.

Don't turn the doorknob

Don't walk inside

 

There's clutter everywhere. A mess of clothes, ribbons, incomplete letters, decapitated teddy bear heads, and shriveled up flowers laying about.

He kneels down and picks everything up except for the letters and throws it out an open window.

"Hey-"

"You don't need this anymore, right?" Lay glances at a letter that was directed toward him.

Lay,

Thank you for helping me go through that surgery

I'm in a lot of pain right now

I'm not sure how I met you and I don't know why you know me

But it feels like I've known you for a long time

I somehow feel a little better when I think of you

I fell to my knees and covered my face; the embarrassing letter, the embarrassing mess that is me.

He walks over and pulls me into a warm embrace, I feel his cheeks lift into a small smile.

"I've known you since you were very little. I was there for all your operations, your birthday parties, your casual up and downs..." he swallows, and something in me breaks because it all started to connect.

------

I opened the box with my left hand, my right had an IV so it was uncomfortable to move.

"Oh wow, it's a letter set!" I smile, thanking the older boy for the gift.

He was the only one in the room.

The balloons covered his face, and he raises a hand, "If you ever want to tell someone something, about your pain, your worries, your joy, whatever; just write it in here and I'll read it."

I nod and slowly walk over. "Can I see your face?" 

He moves the balloons and nods. 

An angelic face, a gentle smile, serene eyes, and the same smooth voice that said,

"I'm your healer, so don't be afraid."

----

I shake my head at the sudden flashback and carefully hug Lay back.

"Thank you..." My voice is trembling and Lay gives me a small nod and digs his fingers in my hair.

"My healer."