healing

You're My Healer

I was only 10 they found an intestinal ulcer in my stomach. One that the doctors couldn't get rid of.

I was a happy kid, though. Until I was quarantined from my parents and friends.

I was completely hopeless. They said I only had a couple of years to live...

The hospital is stuffy, and the only fun I get to have is watching a broken television.

Sometimes, when I'm lucky- the TV breaks down and starts to smoke across the room. Then nurses run in to stomp the fire out.

Yeah. It's pretty great here.

Only today after my meal of meeyuk gook, I didn't crawl out of my hospital bed and instead just stared outside the window.

The sun made my eyes hurt, but I saw a young man standing outside having a conversation with himself.

It was entertaining, and stupid.

I dubbed him 'lonely loser'.

He shows up at my doorstep and comes in without me noticing.

I was laying flat on my hospital bed, my head upside down. "Hi..." I mumble, standing straight.

He laughs, and sits down with me. "Your parents told me you're lonely, all by yourself." He takes out a guitar and strums it quietly.

I wanted to push him away.

How dare you just sit on my bed without asking?!

As soon as I gave him a gentle nudge he opens his mouth and sings a gentle melody.

It just turned out the cheesy lyrics to the song was enough to make me bawl like a kid.

I fell into the stranger's lap and cried like never before. It was the first time in a while that I was held like this.

And his warm hands the ends of my cheek and he whispered, "I'm here to heal you, so don't be sick anymore, ok?"

I clasped onto those words as if it were the last sentence I would hear before dying.

It didn't matter.

Because once I opened by eyes in the operating room, his hand held my face.

He was smiling, giving me a small nod as he pressed an oxygen mask to my mouth.

I fell asleep after that. I didn't know what just happened, but it was as if I entered a deep slumber for a duration of only 10 minutes.

When I woke up, there's a paper in my hand. I open it, and read it aloud.

"It's me! Your healer! Hehe, do you remember me? Anyways, now that the operation is over, you should be feeling a little weird but I promise that in a couple of weeks you will feel so much better! Take care! Let's meet again! -Lay"

I crumbled the paper and stuffed it in my pillow case.

It didn't matter if I was cured or not. I just want to get out of this hellhole.

Out of this room. Out into the real world.

 

"Healer..." I scoff, rubbing my eyes. "That's absurd."