Can I see that smile again

Keep On Smiling

I step into Sungjong’s room with a bouquet of white roses in my hand. I slowly turn the door knob. As soon as the door open, I see a boy is sitting staring out the window. I carve a smile and greet him.

 

“Good morning my princess…” he quickly turn his head, smiling at me.

 

I approached him and than offered him the white roses that I brought.  He took it and caressed all the white roses with joy.

 

“Myungsoo hyung…Gomawo…” Said him slowly. I grab the chair nearby the bed and sit on it while facing Sungjong.

 

Suddenly a tears slowly run down his cheeks. “If I’m gone, I want many white roses on my grave…” said him with stuttering voice. I quickly hug him.

 

“Shhh… don’t say like that, Sungjong-ah, you WILL HEAL…” I whispered slowly. He doesn’t say anything but only cried in my hug.

 

“I want to go to buy some fruit for a minute. Wait for me…” I released the hug and quickly got out from the room. I closed the door. I lean my forehead against it. I slowly slid down and sit there in front of the door with my back lean on it. Tears start to form in my eyes, slowly it flow down my cheeks. I know my time with Sungjong is shorter and it hurts like hell knowing it. I quickly get up and went to buy some fruits for Sungjong.

 

****

 

When I step into the room again, I saw Sungjong lying down on the floor with a white rose in his grip. The plastic full of fruits that I’m holding slip from my hand.

 

I quickly dashed to his limp body while shouted calling for the doctor again and again. Tears start to fall down my eyes again. No! This is not happening!

 

“Sungjong! Wake up! Please!” I frantically shouted for his name all over again. He slowly open his eyes and give me a weak smile. I give him a smile back, I sighed in relief. Then I carried him to the bed. A doctor rushed inside the room with a two nurses. I withdrew to give some room for them to checkup on Sungjong. A breathing tube was applied on Sungjong, covering half of his face and he also had given an injection by the doctor. His condition start to slowly stabilized.

 

“Myungsoo-sshi, Sungjong’s condition is deteriorating. I suggest you prepared for the worst.” State the doctor and he left. I only standing there, kept quiet.

 

“Everything will be alright…yeah…it’s going to be alright…” I say to Sungjong while lovingly his head, soothing him. More likely trying to convincing myself than him. I tried to crave a smile for him. Yeah…everything will be going fine.

 

I accompanied Sungjong throughout the night. Cuddle with him on the bed while he snuggle to my chest. I look at his angelic-pale-face and clutched his hand tightly. Even though I knew that Sungjong illness hard to be cure, but deep in my heart I always hope something miracle will happen and one day he suddenly be his old self again, healthy, bubbly, cute and beautiful again. My eyes slowly closed with the hope embedding deep down in my heart.

 

****

 

When I wake up the next morning, Sungjong is not beside me. I stretched my hand and groggily sit on the bed. Then it suddenly hit me. Sungjong! Where is he? Did something happen?

 

“Sungjong! Yah, Sungjong! Where are you?” I started looking for Sungjong while shouting the boy name. Suddenly I felt something tugging and pulling the end of my pant. I bowed my head and look underneath the bed.

 

My eyes widened in surprised when I saw Sungjong lying on his chest under the bed, laughing at me. Aish this kid! I quickly pinch both of his cheeks make him yelp in pain. Ha! Take that.

 

“Don’t ever do that again, arasseo?” I scold him, he pout. He almost make me have a heart attack. Then he grinned and pull me down so that I too sit under the bed with him. Since I’m taller than he, I have to bow a bit.

 

“So, what are we going to do now? Let’s go outside back. My neck start to hurting—” I just make the first step to get out from under the bed when suddenly Sungjong grab my hand and pull me. Suddenly I was lying on my back with my head on his lap. This feel comfortable!

 

“How is it? It’s not hurt right?” asked Sungjong. I nodded slowly.

 

“Myungsoo hyung…” he called out suddenly. I looked up at his face.

 

“If I die, are you going to forget about me?” he asked me slowly, its sound so soft like whispering.

 

“No…” I said simple. Suddenly I feel something fall and dampen my forehead. Sungjong tears start to flow. I quickly wiped it away. The tears doesn’t suit with Sungjong once happy face.

 

“Don’t cry, I’m here with you…” I coax him. But he still crying. I get stuck thinking about how to persuade him.

 

Then I remember about my phone’s camera. Quickly I pull out my phone from my jean’s pocket and take a picture of Sungjong’s crying face. Sungjong stunned. “This image called “Ugly Sungjong Crying Face”! Hahaha!” I burst to laugh. Sungjong pinch my cheek hardly. He pout angrily.

 

“How dare you…my turn!” Sungjong snatch the phone from my hand. His right hand is still pinching my face hardly make me yelp in pain while his other hand take picture of me being pinching by him. “This picture called “Myungsoo Is An Unidentified Ugly Object (UUO)!” He shouted as he burst into laughter. I too laugh with him seeing my own face.

 

Suddenly the door’s room open. A nurse step inside and repeatedly calling out Sungjong’s name anxiously. Sungjong and I do our best to refrain our self from burst to laugh under the bed. The nurse left the room immediately and called the doctor.

 

We quickly get out from under the bed when the nurse leave. Sungjong lay on his bed while I sit on the chair, reading the magazine. We acted like nothing happen. A few minutes later, the nurse comeback with a doctor with her. She look confused while the doctor look angry when they saw us.

 

“Just…Just now… he’s not on his bed, doctor..” said the nurse.

“Yes…what is it, doc? Are you going to do a checkup?” I casually asked. I look at Sungjong and he was biting his lip to stop himself to burst out laugh.

 

“Oh, no. I’m just come to visit… my nurse hurt her eyes today…Sorry, I’m going first…” said the doctor and quickly rushed out. The nurse look at Sungjong confusedly and she then follow the doctor.

 

As the door close again, we burst out a major laugh. Even though I feel guilty making the nurse confused like that, but I feel happy when I got to see Sungjong real laugh again. Suddenly I thought, am I going to see that smiling face again after this? Hear his laugh again? Sit with him like this?