2/2

FATE-ality


Onew skipped happily to the house, pushing the door open gently as he knew it was always unlocked. It puzzled him how Key could always leave the door unlocked, unworried that strangers may just walk into his house and steal things. But then again… there wasn’t much to steal.

He frowned slightly, seeing the living room empty, when Key would usually be standing there, waiting for him happily. Instead, he heard muffled whispers. “… There’s not much time left! He’s already suspicious, Key!”

A familiar voice answered back, “I know, Ryeo. Just a while more please.”

Unknowingly, Onew’s feet carried him towards the voices and before he knew it, he was being glared at by two pairs of eyes. The other boy, whom he assumed to be Ryeo, simply pushed his long brown slanted fringe away from his eyes, shot Key a sharp glare and walked out of the room. He paused next to Onew and turned back to the pretty boy, yelling, “I don’t even know what you’re still trying to hold on to. He’s not Jin, can’t you see that by now, Key?”

Onew’s eyes flew between the silent exchanges of the two pretty boys, unable to understand why Jinki was mentioned so often in his presence. Key hissed, “Stop it, Ryeowook. We’ll talk about this some other time. You said you’ll help me, not make things worse.”

“I’m not making anything worse, just posting little reminders to you, Key. You know how I felt about this from the start, I don’t need history to –“

“Ryeo! I know.” Key’s sharp scream had cut Ryeowook off, who was now wearing a very tight-lipped smile. The other boy exited the room, leaving an awkward air hanging between the two boys.

Onew took a few cautious steps towards Key, his eyes never leaving the younger’s face. Streams of moonlight shone through the window on his lover’s face, illuminating his side profile. His long, thick brown lashes framed those pretty red eyes which were glancing down.

Wait, red eyes…? Onew stopped in his steps and shook his head, noticing that Key’s eyes were once again a beautiful glassy brown. Key walked towards him and gripped his hands, causing the elder to cringe slightly at the frozen grasp, which he should have been used to by now… but wasn’t.

He whispered, his face inches from the other’s, “Are you the reincarnation of Jin…?”

Onew flinched, not knowing how to answer the question posed to him, when the younger boy was so close to him and his cool breath was blowing on his face, rendering him speechless. He mumbled, “I don’t know, Key.”

That seemed satisfactory enough for Key as his soft, icy lips pressed lightly against Onew’s, before he pulled away, glancing up at him through his beautiful lashes.

Key took a step back and turned away from Onew. The elder sighed softly, but smiled suddenly when he saw a shooting star in the sky. “I wish Key would kiss me again.”

Key turned and gave him a questioning look mixed with amusement, as the elder pointed to the sky and said, “Shooting star…”

Before he could even say anything else, their lips were pressed together once again, this time harder, as Key’s lips desperately moved against his. Those icy fingers were running down his face, across those features which weren’t half as delicate as his love’s flawless ones.

Onew’s fingers rested on his waist as the younger backed him up into a wall. Kissing in such a position made him feel as though he was trapped between two walls, not that he was complaining. The elder suddenly felt self-conscious as Key’s tongue parted his lips and pushed deep into his mouth. This was his first kiss, while he was pretty sure that Key had done it before with, well… Jinki.

Shaking images of Key kissing another guy out of his mind, Onew responded to the kiss by molding his body closer to the other’s, as his tongue flicked Key’s one. The younger’s fingers threaded through his soft, brown hair, while Onew’s fingers ran over his abdominal muscles, sighing contentedly into the kiss.

Almost as abruptly as it started, it ended. Onew didn’t even know when Key had pulled away, all he knew was that his fingers weren’t touching the silky material of the younger’s blouse anymore. His eyes fluttered open as his head rested on the black wall behind him, his chest heaving slightly.

Key’s expression was once again, unreadable, as his eyes flickered towards the flapping pearl blue curtains, before walking over to close the window. With his back to Onew, he said softly, “I think you better leave for today. My friend, Ryeo, is going to be back soon and there are some matters I have to discuss with him.”

The elder couldn’t help but feel slightly crushed that his love seemed to be chasing him away. Yet, he just nodded and headed for the door. He had seen the tension present between the two boys previously, and the last thing he wanted was to be the catalyst for their fight.

His fingers fisted the doorknob, before Key’s cool finger tips grasped his wrist, causing his head to snap back. The pretty boy’s lips brushed lightly against his once again, before he whispered so softly that Onew almost thought he imagined those words, “I love you.”

The next thing he knew, Onew was on the other side of the closed door, his back facing the house. He scratched his head in confusion as he walked away slowly.

If they had just kissed, they should be closer… right? Yet, Onew couldn’t help wondering why he felt more distant than ever from Key. It almost seemed like each time Key opened himself to Onew, they would fall back, instead of moving forward.

Why was it that their relationship seemed to be made of rewinds, but never any fast forwards…?

********************

“Onew hyung, we have to talk.”

Onew shook his head impatiently, still puzzled over Key and Ryeowook’s bizarre conversation to pay any attention to Taemin. He made his way hesitantly to his own room, until he felt a sharp tug on his sleeve and he stared down at Jonghyun.

The elder sighed and plopped down on the sofa. If even the flirtatious blonde wanted to talk to him, something had to be up. Or maybe they just wanted to announce their marriage, he didn’t know. But understanding his crazy dongsaengs, marriage may just be a possibility of the seriousness.

“It’s about… House 13, hyung.” Jonghyun mumbled quietly.

Onew narrowed his eyes and glared at them sharply. The nerve of them to trail me. Damn, how could I have not known I was being followed?! Before the elder could say something else, the youngest cut in and exclaimed, “Onew hyung, you have to stay away from him! There’s something not right about him!”

He huffed angrily at the pair and yelled, “Well yeah? You guys are the whacked ones! I mean, how could you even trail me?!”

With that, he stomped off burning with fury, just as Taemin screamed, “But Jonghyun hyung and I saw him with our own eyes.”

********************

Key’s eyes turned to the door as it swung open slightly. No, it’s just Onew. Relax, Key. It seemed like he was playing a dangerous game with luck every minute of his life. But what did he have to lose anyway, even if Minho found out? At least he could join Jin in hell… or maybe he couldn’t, since his love was too much of a good boy to land himself in hell.

The human entered with his eyebrows furrowed and he stayed a distance away from Key, not embracing him the way he usually did. The pretty boy cocked his head to a side and stared at the older boy curiously, wondering what was with the hostility.

When he spoke, Onew’s voice was soft and almost inaudible, if it wasn’t for the eerie silence in the house. “You’re not human are you, Key?”

He smirked, running his fingers through his blonde bangs and leant against the wall, before answering, “No, I’m not, Onew. Does that scare you?”

It was only a matter of time before he found out. Key was just surprised that it had taken him that long. Somehow, he always thought of the people he fell for to be a hell lot smarter than that. Dammit Key, he’s not Jin.

Onew maintained his straight face and replied calmly, “If I were afraid, would I be back here now? Why didn’t you kill me from the start?”

The younger froze, a look of shock clouding his features for a second, before he regained his cool composure. He cast his gaze down, noting that Onew was taking steps closer to him with every passing second.

When he glanced back up, he was face-to-face with the older boy. Those eyes, that face devoid of fear… it’s so like him. Key exhaled slightly as he gripped on to Onew’s striped black and blue shirt. He didn’t know, didn’t understand when exactly he had fallen for this guy. All he knew was that what he felt for Onew was no longer because of how much he looked like Jinki, but because of how lovable he was.

Key’s eyes fell shut as he felt Onew’s warm breath caressing his full pink lips, his brain devoid of any thoughts, except of their time together. He could almost taste the elder’s lips as they hovered dangerously and teasingly above his.

“Key!”

His eyes flew open as Ryeowook came running down the stairs, a hand clutching his side. Blood, Key could smell it. He turned back to Onew, his mind racing with a million thoughts and words, yet none of them came out of his mouth. The elder stammered, “Key…? What… what’s going on?”

So instead of saying anything, Key let his actions speak for him instead. His fingers that were the other’s shirt yanked it hard, causing Onew to jerk forward at the sudden movement and his lips slammed hard against Key’s. The younger gripped his hair tightly and pressed himself against the elder, who was responding to the kiss, although Key could sense the confusion.

The younger forced himself to pull away as Ryeowook slammed into the wall next to him, red liquid staining his pale hands, and his breath faltering. Tears burnt in his eyes as he whispered, “Onew, I love you. Now leave, by the window. Climb out and don’t come back until an hour or so.”

Onew opened his mouth to protest, but the pretty boy silenced it with a gentle peck and pushed him towards the kitchen. He closed the door behind him, mouthing to Onew, “Please,” and praying that he would listen, all while tears kept falling from his eyes.

********************

Ryeowook glared at the invaders and hissed, “Why the are you here?”

Behind his royal ed up highness, Yesung threw the younger vampire a warning look. He snapped his jaw shut, though the dagger stares were still directed at the stupid prince. The only reason he kept quiet was because the last thing he wanted was to be tormented by getting killed by someone whom he loved.

Minho raised his hand and Ryeowook braced himself by squeezing his eyes shut, as well as pressing himself against the wall in an attempt to be as far as possible from the maniac. “No need to get violent, Minho. You’re here for me, aren’t you? Why take your anger out on Ryeowook and even more, why hurt him?”

The good looking vampire turned his head and saw Key walking towards them with measured steps. His eyes were misty, a sure sign that he had been crying. Ryeowook knew him only too well. The prince’s hand fell and he smirked. “Always a pleasure to see you too, Key.”

He gave a mocking smile and rolled his eyes, before he whispered, “Ryeo, get out of here.”

“I’m not leaving you, Key!” Ryeowook protested angrily, at the thought of what was going to happen if he really left. His fingers gripped his best friend’s wrist tightly, and he glared at the younger vampire, making it very clear that they were in this together.

“I’m just here for the human, Key. Where is he?” The bastard of a prince snarled.

Key’s eyes narrowed, but he maintained his cool, “Why are you looking for him if it’s me that you’re going to kill?”

The prince laughed coldly at that statement. “What makes you think that vampires have to die for a human’s sin, Key?”

“But, that time… with Jin… you… oh . Why Minho? Why?”

He settled down nicely on a lone sofa while Ryeowook kept a tight grip on his best friend to prevent him from courting his own death. Anger was rising in him, building up like lava in a volcano, yet he kept it all in, hoping that Key would do the same. He couldn’t lose Key, not after he had already failed to protect Jinki.

“Why, you ask? Because he was taking everything I wanted. He was a ing adopted child, yet he had everything. I’m my father’s blood, yet I don’t get half as much as him. He was getting the crowned prince title because he was older than me and supposedly more mature, the vampire council preferred him over me… even my best friend chose him over me when I loved him just as much.”

Ryeowook’s grip on Key’s wrist loosened slightly at the sudden realization. His eyes were fixed on the younger’s unreadable ones. The expression on Key’s face remained stoic as his eyes burned with a bright fiery red.

He felt cold fingers prying his hand away from his best friend’s and pulling him away. Ryeowook glanced to his left, and saw Yesung cleaning his wound for him before bandaging it. “Best not to let it get infected,” he whispered.

Minho smiled at Key and continued, “I won’t let anyone else have you, Key. If I can’t have you, no one can. Especially not a pathetic little human. You’re mine.”

Minho took a few steps towards Key as the pretty vampire whispered, “Can’t you let him off for my sake? If you love me so much, you won’t want to see me cry, would you?”

The prince’s reluctance caused him to push further, testing his luck, as Ryeowook’s heart pounded hard against his rib cage, fearing for his best friend’s life. “Please…? Do it for me, please.”

His lips curved into a smile as he nodded. Ryeowook let out a small sigh of relief, until he heard a slight clatter from the back. Key’s eyes widened as all eyes turned to see the figure stumbling out of their kitchen. “…” Ryeowook mumbled.

********************

Onew stared in confusion at what was going on. He had left his mobile phone behind and had returned to take it, only to see four pairs of eyes fixed on him. He could see Key mouthing to him “get the out of here!” but it was already too late.

The tallest out of them all was approaching him, sharp nails suddenly shot out of his hands as the elder took steps back. His voice was caught in his throat and his knees were weak.

Suddenly the figure sped up and moved towards him at lightning speed. Onew closed his eyes as a piercing scream filled the air. There was no pain. Somehow, he always thought dying would hurt a lot more than this. His eyes opened as dead weight fell back on him.

“Looks like I really don’t mean anything to you, Minho…”

Onew’s eyes clouded with tears as he whispered, “Key…? Key, don’t scare me, please!”

The attacker’s face was painted with shock and regret as he immediately withdrew his dagger nails from Key’s heart. Ryeowook had broken away from the other man’s hands and ran towards Key, dropping to his knees in front of his best friend. “Key, key, please tell me you’re alright! You said you won’t leave me alone. You can’t leave me alone! What am I supposed to do without both you and Jinki?”

Tears were clouding his vision as the attacker gripped his sidekick and they disappeared into thin air. Key’s fingers brushed lightly at Ryeowook’s tears and he smiled weakly whispering, “I’m going to join Jinki now, Ryeo. Promise me that you’ll stay strong, even if I’m not here with you.”

The other shook his head vigorously and screamed in his high pitched voice, “NO KEY. YOU CAN’T LEAVE ME ALONE! I NEED YOU.”

His words of desperation cut through Onew’s heart as he realized that he was the reason why Key was now lying on his lap, bleeding to death. The pretty boy turned to Onew and whispered, “Look after Ryeo for me. I love you very much Onew, I really do.”

Tears fell down, trailing down Key’s flawless face, which was paler than ever. He whispered back, “I love you a lot too, Key.”

The pretty boy smiled meekly at him, before his eyelids fell. Onew shook him lightly, tears still flooding his eyes, yet he did not stir. Ryeowook screamed and gripped on to his best friend, hugging him tightly, refusing to believe that he was really gone.

Ryeowook gripped his own fringe tightly before glancing up at Onew. “Please, just leave. I need some time alone to think about things, Onew.”

So he did, after casting one last long look at the face that he had come to love for three months. I guess this is really goodbye, Key.

********************

A year had passed and Onew was in his final year as a senior, yet nothing had changed. Taemin and Jonghyun still enjoyed making out in front of him. As though that wasn’t bad enough, Jonghyun’s good friend, Heechul, also enjoyed cuddling Hankyung, his boyfriend, in public. Onew still didn’t understand how he still had his sanity even though he hung out with a bunch of weirdos.

Watching their loving actions did make him slightly jealous though. No matter how much time passed, his mind still wandered back to him. He smiled slightly as he remembered the way Key would always run his fingers through that soft blonde hair of his.

“HELLO?! Can I take this seat?”

Onew snapped back to reality as a loud voice invaded his visions of Key. He mumbled, while glancing up, “Sorry, I was thinking. But yeah, you ca –“

His lips curved up into a smile as disbelief flowed over him. Even with brown hair now, instead of the blonde one that he loved so much; and his skin which was now slightly tanned, no longer the same pale one, Onew still recognized him. Tears blurred his vision slightly as he pulled the chair back for his new seat mate.

The pretty boy sat down and flashed him a brilliant mega-watt smile, as Onew stammered, “Hi! I’m Onew.”

The boy smiled back in slight amusement and answered, “Hi, I just transferred here today for my senior year. I’m Kibum.”

And when Kibum gave that signature smirk of his, while they shook hands, Onew fell just a little bit more in love with him.


okay, finally this is up! please excuse the horrible fail. somehow, in my brain, i pictured it to be more... idk, gory. but apparently i cant write gore. or horror. oh crap-tastic. and yes, i realise we have a lot of smart onkey fans here! somehow everyone guessed that key was a vampire. or maybe we werent subtle enough -__- oh idk.

*Comments are loved , like always !