Minding My Own Business

Someone Met By Chance

I was mad at my boyfriend.
Absolutely furious.
It was a Friday afternoon, quite late afternoon, and my boyfriend texted me that he wouldn't be able to meet me for dinner because they were in preparation for some football event.  It was because of this stupid European football that my boyfriend ditched me for.  You know, I could've woken up later at 1 maybe, instead of making an effort to get dressed for my lovely-darling boyfriend which I thought he was.
I was such a .
Anyway, I was channelling how happy I would be to see my friend on Sunday, who lives in Cambridge, when my phone vibrated.  I fished out my phone and was instantly p*ssed off at my boyfriend's name dispayed on my screen.  I was happily walking along in Regent Street, well then I turned to Oxford Street, hoping shopping might ease my anger when the bloody phone vibrated.  The message said that he wanted to meet me again because the football thingy-ma-jigs ended early. 
He killed my mood.
My feet were taking me straight along the street, my eyes fixed on the screen.  I was tapping away on my i-Phone when, suddenly, some dude ran towards me, his finger stabbing at the words 'Traflager Square' on his piece of paper.  Didn't he notice that I was busy on my phone and wasn't there an obvious but unsaid rule meaning I'm-On-The-Phone-Bugger-Off?  I looked up and realised he was Asian, which meant he probably didn't live here, and he might not speak English from looking at the many pointing-fingers.  Another guy, an older Asian guy, was running to him.  Anyway, this Asian guy who bumped into me kept pointing at 'Trafalgar Square' then pointing out at a map in his free hand. 
I was going to say I don't know because it would've been a waste of time explaining but then I was also intrigued as to why there was a trail of girls running along behind him.
"You want Trafalgar Square?"  I thought I had used simple words.
The man, probably just turned twenty? or a teenager, I couldn't make out, kept pointing at Trafalgar Square then his palms kept clapping and opening like a book.
I was wondering if he knew any English at all.
I knitted my eyebrows, obviously to show I wasn't understanding what he wanted from me.
He started to say "wairrr" when the girls caught up with him and his other person.  They kept saying "awhbaa" and "an-yong" and goodness knows what.  When they approached, he tilted his navy blue cap to shield his eyes from their cameras and phones.  I was wondering if he was a celebrity when it hit me.
Wairrrr...
Wear..

Where
I was about to poke him on the shoulder when this girl shoved me aside to take a photo of him. 
Seriously, what the heck.
"Er, do you mind?"  My voice was unpleasant and annoyed, and I was, because that was just rude.
She looked at me (another Asian, probably Chinese?  or was it Japanse?  I couldn't tell the difference) and nodded and mumbled "sorry".
I poked his shoulder and he looked at me, his eyes were pleading and in earnest. 
I was about to give him the directions when a realisation prodded my brain.
He doesn't speak English.
  I held a finger up as a sign for him to wait.
"Does anyone speak English here?"  I asked the girls who were crowding around them.  Some of them were looking at me blankly when there was a tall white girl with fair hair came forward, a large black camera hanging around her neck (one of those professional cameras from photoshoots).  I was beginning to wonder why I'm in the minority in my own country.
"Yup."
"Are you with him?"  I nodded at the direction of the Asian guy.
"Sort of..."  She said, her cheeks coloured slightly.
"Ummm okay... do you know where Trafalgar Square is?"
"No," she replied, shaking her head,"I don't live in London.  I'm from Es."
"Okay... well, would you be able to get him-" I nodded at his direction, "and his friend to Trafalgar Square if I gave you the directions?  It's not far away."  I added.  I don't want to be followed by a bunch of crazy girls with cameras.
The girl nodded with eagerness, clearly excited.
So I explained.
After finished explaining, she quickly recited the directions to me. 
"You got it." 
Turning to the Asian guy, who was looking from me to her while I was giving her the directions, I began to explain slowly with very simple words.
"You-" I pointed at him- "follow-" I made my fingers walk in mid-air- "her."  I pointed at the blonde girl.
I waited for him to understand. 
And he did.
His face broke into a boyish smile and did a few little bows at me.  His friend nodded at me a few times and said "fankoo."
They walked away with the girls squealing behind them, and I was on my own again amongst the sea of people in Oxford Street.
Gladly.