The Perfect Duet

The Perfect Duet

I eyed the necklace with a smile. My grandmother had given it to me just before she had died. She had told me to give it to the girl I truly loved. I held it in my hand, admirinbg it longingly. If only she would come…

I placed the chain back under my shirt. I wore it always, keeping it close to me. I suppose I hoped that wearing it woud help me to know it was her. Like maybe it would give me some sort of sign. I sighed. It had yet to tell me anything amazing.

I was lying about on my bed. I sat up and streched, yawning. It was late afternoon in August. I stood up and went to look at my mirror. Staring back at me was the face of a tired young man. I reached my hand up and the boy in the mirror did the same. I slid my hand through my hair and my reflection showed how my hair slid back with my hand, and then replaced itself after my hand was removed. I sighed and smacked my cheek lightly, “Wake up…” I mumbled to myself. I gave the boy in the mirror one last look before walking away. I stopped in the middle of the room and sighed, enjoying the silence. This was my haven. Once I left here the world would explode with unexpected sounds and colors. This is the only part of my world I had any control over. Everything else was so much more tempermental and everchanging. I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath and slowly released it, reopening my eyes.

My eyes slowly wandered down to the tank on the floor. I smiled and took a few steps forward. I crouched down, “Annyeong, chingu,” I said softly, putting a finger to the glass. My turtle, Ddankoma just stared up at me, blinking slowly. Then it slid its head back abit and began to turn, struggling as its small claws kept hitting the glass by my finger, looking for a hold to help him move, but failing. I chuckled as I straightened up. I walked towards my door and opened it. Instantly, I was overwhelmed by the sounds of 12 other guys running around and talking loudly. So loud. I stepped out and closed my door behind me. I hummed a song under my breath and headed towards the front door. “I’m going out,” I called after me. No one said anything opposing so I took that as an Okay and silently left, closing the door behind me.

I continued humming as I made my way down the hallway towards the stairs. I made my way outside and began walking, quickly losing myself in the tune, beautiful sunshine, and clear air. The street was quiet and I sang out, loud and clear.

I kept walking and singing untill I heard another voice accompanying mine; harmonizing beautifully. It was a higher voice: a girl’s. It was beautiful and clear, never faltering. I came back to my senses, but never ceased singing.  I followed the sound of her voice; I had to know who she was: who the owner of this beautiful voice was.

I was now in the park. I kept listening. I was closer, I could hear it. I walked untill I was next to a bush. It seems so loud here, but where is she? I slowly made my way around the bush and there she was. Her eyes were closed, and she was smiling. moved along with the words filling the air. I watched her for a moment and suddenly lost track of the song. I stopped singing and she opened her eyes suddenly; surprised. I stared at her and she stared back at me, wide eyed. I smiled. She slowly returned the smile; cautious. Beautiful. She was beautiful. Her face and smile matched her stunning voice. “You have a beautiful voice.” I finally said. She blushed slightly.

“Thank you. So do you.” She said.

“Thanks. Do you mind if I sit?” I asked. I was feeling calm and reckless today. So what, I may not know her. But I was drawn to her. She smiled and nodded, signalling for me to join her. I sat down besides her. We were silent for awhile. She closed her eyes again and began to hum. It was a familiar tune. I hummed along. I saw the corners of twich up into a smile. Then she began to sing, her voice filling the air. I began layering my voice under hers, filling the air with our intermingling voices.

Eventually the song came to an end. I closed my eyes, enjoying the silence. Suddenly, I felt her jump next to me and get up quickly.”Shoot! I’m going to be late.” She cried, frantically gathering her things. I opened my eyes,

“Wait-” I reached out and grabbed her hand; she stopped and looked at me longingly.

“I-I’m sorry. I have to go.” She said as she pulled her hand away and ran. I jumped up as quickly as I could, but she was already gone. I watched her as she ran. My hand automatically clutched the necklace around my neck. It must have jumped out from under my shirt when I got up. I rubbed it mindlessly. “Babo,” I said to myself as I turned and headed home, the joyous song gone from my lips.

 

~~~

 

Weeks went by without a word from her. I went back there everyday at the same time, at least when I could. Somedays I had schedules at that time and my manager forced me to accompany him. I eventually complied. He was to blame if I missed the love of my life. He would have to live with the guilt and shame if I died old and lonely, still wearing this necklace.

I arrived at the bush once again and sat down. I waited. To fill the silence, I began to sing. It was the same song as that first time. Minutes passed, but I kept singing, over and over again. I leaned my head back and waited. Other than my voice, silence surrounded me. I reached under my collar and pulled out my necklace and held it. The wind played against my face and I smiled slightly at the breeze. Suddenly a high soprano rang out before me. I opened my eyes and quickly scrambled to my feet. There she was; beeming at me. I had stopped singing and her voice soon drifted to a stop also. She smiled. I just stared at her in awe. “You…” I just managed to let out. She just stood there, watching me. I took a step forward and touched her face. I had to know she was real. She was really there. I had waited what seemed like ages, and she had finally come back. I took another step forward and hugged her tightly to me. She soon wrapped her arms back around me. “Thank you for waiting…” She said into my ear. I shivered at hearing her voice again. I pulled away and took the necklace off of my neck and placed it over her head. She looked at me, surprised. She picked it up. A small locket sat on the chain. She read it. ‘For my Love,’ it read. I had memorized that engraving, longing for the day when it would leave my neck, for hers. And here I finally was. She looked at me, surprised. I leaned down and kissed her cheek softly. “Thank you,” And at that she smiled and hugged me again. I took her hand and this time we walked away, together.