The Diva and the Pea

The Diva and the Pea

 

The Diva and the Pea

 

 

Jonghyun wakes up to the ringing of his phone early in the morning on a Saturday. None at all pleased about the wake-up call he grumbles and pushes his face deeper into the warm pillows. 

 

"Turn that darn thing off!" A high pitched scream, who he knew was Key,  came from the other side of the room where Key slept. 

 

s grumble in agreement trying desperately to fall back into slumber due to the lack of sleep they all have been getting from the packed schedule they had. Preform here, do interview there. That was basically the life they led. And catching three hours of sleep would be considered a miracle for them, so it was no surprise when the members were very irate about the constant ringing of his phone. 

 

Getting up from his warm bed, Jonghyun reached for his phone pressing the ANSWER button and putting the receiver on his ear. 

 

"Uhhh..." He grumbles tiredly. 

 

He hears a cheery laugh from the other line, "Good morning to you too, Jonghyun-ssi." 

 

"Who ish diss?" He replies incoherently. 

 

More giggles, "This is Takeumi, the intern from the production team for We Got Married.

 

At the words We Got Married, Jonghyun sprung out of his bed to the floor, making a hard thump which awakened their leader, Onew. 

 

"Wuss goin' on?" He groaned. 

 

Jonghyun put his hand on Onew's lips quieting him immediately, "Shh, hyung this is important!" 

 

"Mhhm hmm," Jonghyun chose to ignore their leader and focused on the woman on the line. 

 

"Is there anything I can help with?" Jonghyun asked. 

 

"Did I call at a bad time?" The woman asks, Jonghyun shakes his head but then he remembers that there was no way that the woman could see him. 

 

"No, not at all," He croaks then clears his throat, "Sorry about that, but what can I help you with?" 

 

"Well I'd like to inform you that you've been chosen to do a season for We Got Married," She stated. 

 

Jonghyun was in a loss for words, instead he drops his phone and goes to his bed and screams to his pillow, rolling around his bed messing up the covers. Key was not going to like this. 

 

Onew, who had witnessed it all looked utterly confused, picked up the phone from the abandoned spot, "Hello?" He spoke formally. 

 

"Oh, May I know who this is? I heard a thud, is Jonghyun-ssi alright?" Onew knits his eyebrows, who was this woman who was talking to Jonghyun?

 

"This is SHINee's leader Onew, who is this?" 

 

It seemed to him that she got the message, "Hello Onew-ssi, I'm from the production team for We Got Married, and I had just told Jonghyun-ssi that he was picked for a season." 

 

So this is what he's going about. Onew chuckled quietly finding it cute for his dongsaeng. Wonder how Key will take this. 

 

"Don't worry we've already informed your company and your manager about this and they have approved saying that it was a good opportunity for Jonghyun and for the group for their promotions. I hope you would agree as well." She says all too sweetly. 

 

Onew looks over to the body laying on the bed, he smirks, he never knew he could be this evil, "Don't worry, he's doing it." 

 

 

---

 

"You're doing what?" 

 

There was time where Jonghyun was terrified when he broke his mother's vase, when he lost his sister's bracelet, and the time where he muddied his nice suit, which ended in a long sermon and a whole lot of punishments. 

 

 

They were nothing compared to this. 

 

Because Kim ing Kibum, the Almighty Key and mother of SHINee was ready to murder him. It also didn't help that he had a chef knife in his hand, ready to slit Jonghyun's throat any minute. 

 

Jonghyun looked at the other members calmly eating their breakfast like there was nothing going on. 

 

"Answer me Kim Jonghyun, what show did you say you were doing?" Key spat between his teeth. Chef's knife ready to strike at any minute. 

 

Dear Lord save him now. 

 

"Relax Kibum, he's just doing We Got Married," Onew munched on his cereal oats. 

 

Key huffs, "That's what makes it worse!" He complained then gave Jonghyun a death glare, "Is this your way of breaking up with me? Going on a stupid show and not tell me directly. Way to be considerate, jerk." 

 

Jonghyun immediately stands up and goes over to Key's place. To hell with the knife, "That's not it! Manager-hyung and Onew-hyung thought that it would be a great exposure for me and for the group. I would never do that to you, Kibummie." He rests his head on Key's shoulders affectionately, "I would be really stupid if you I let you go." 

 

Somehow Key is wooed with Jonghyun's words, "You would wouldn't you?" But then he frowns again, "But if you fall in love with that woman, I will cut of your balls and feed it to your dog. Got it?" 

 

Jonghyun slowly nods, "Heh, there's no way that would happen." 

 

Key smiles in a diva-ish way, "Glad we're on the same page, honey.

 

Then goes off to their shared room getting their outfits ready for the meeting with the production team. 

 

"How is it that he's able to say that sweetly but make it a threat?" Minho low monotone voice rang through their ears. 

 

"That's Key-umma for you," Taemin comments. 

 

And they all burst into laughter. 

 

 

---

 

"How is that you're the one chosen for We Got Married, hyung?" Taemin asks innocently sipping on a packet of juice he found in the snacks table provided for them. 

 

"I have no idea," He answers honestly, "Maybe because I the most manly and most handsome looking in SHINee?" He laughs jokingly. 

 

Key scoffs, "Or maybe the fact that your ego is bigger than your head." 

 

Jonghyun sniffs, "I take offense to that! I do not have a big ego!" 

 

"And I'll believe you when pigs fly," Key told him. 

 

Onew grinned at the couple's way of teasing each other, he found it really adorable and sweet at the same time. My dongsaengs are so cute. 

 

A few minutes later, the head of the production team for the show comes in files in hand, along what it looked like a small woman standing on the side with his bag and possessions. 

 

The quintet stands up and immediately greets the other formally, "Hello," they say simultaneously. 

 

The man signals them to sit down and they do as instructed and looks at the man for further instructions as to what they were supposed to do. 

 

He rests the files on top of the conference table, "I am so honored to have finally meet you boys today." 

 

They all nod, "So we're here today to discuss We Got Married's season with Jonghyun. Now I know you all know what happens in the show, but this time, we want Jonghyun to choose from the candidates. It's like Yunhanam the show that you did after your debut. Or like The Bachelor from the states." 

 

Jonghyun nodded agreeing with the PD, "I think it's a cool idea it spices it up a bit. Right guys?" 

 

Onew smiles at him which he takes as yes, it was his decision anyways, and both Minho and Taemin give a thumbs up. That only left the diva, Key. 

 

"So, Key? What's your decision?" The PD asks. 

 

"I'll agree-" 

 

"That settles it then," The PD stands to shake hands with SHINee until Key tells him to sit back down with authority in his voice. 

 

"You didn't let me finish, sit back down please," He sees s visibly swallow because they knew that voice to well. What diva wants, diva gets. The first and prime rule in SHINee. It was law and you had no right whatsoever to break it.

 

"I'll only agree if and only if, I get to choose the bride you get it?" 

 

And again the diva strikes. The members of SHINee sigh as if they were anticipating it. 

 

"Key-ssi, I don't think that responsibility is yours to handle," The PD tried to reason. 

 

Key glared hard, "Look, either you let me choose the bride or you could forget about Jonghyun doing your show." 

 

"You can't do that!" He exclaimed.

 

"Oh, I can. Trust me. Now pick, you have the potential of getting more ratings or losing it all together," Key responded while looking at him with knowing eyes. There's no way you could outsmart the Almighty Key. 

 

"...Fine," The head PD grumbled. 

 

Key grinned, "Well then, that'd be all, let's go kiddies, I have to buy a new pair of shoes." 

 

Key led s outside, looking like a mother hen and her babies following closely, while the head PD and his assistant were left dumbfounded.

 

"Did I just entrust the whole show to a twenty-year-old?" 

 

She sighs and pats his shoulders, "You couldn't have won anyways, sir." 

 

 

---

 

By midday the next day, all of the members were seated at a judges table about twenty profiles of the candidates placed into a clipboard. Onew smiled widely as he looked around the room. 

 

"Wow, isn't this great guys! The room they gave is so big!" He remarked excitedly. 

 

Taemin brightly agrees to his hyung while Minho nodded. 

 

Key on the other hand was looking at the profiles twisting his face in annoyance every now and then, if they thought that they could pass this with flying colors then they were wrong. 

 

"First candidate please step forwards and introduce yourself," The host announces. 

 

A few seconds later a woman that looked like they were in their early twenties stepped out. High heels clicking as she walked. Her pencil dress hugged her body in all the right places. Brunette hair tied in a side ponytail and curled at the tips. She was pretty without a doubt. 

 

"Hello my name is Meg. It's nice to meet you," She greeted shyly. 

 

Jonghyun smiles in return and replies back, "Ok all you have to do is answer the questions as honestly as possible, okay?" 

 

She nods enthusiastically, "Okay start." 

 

"What are my favorite colors?" Should be easy enough, I mean everyone knows my favorite colors. Jonghyun thought. 

 

"Can't you ask better questions than that?" Minho whispered. 

 

Jonghyun shrugged, "That's all I thought off." 

 

"Umm," Which gets their attention back to her. She bites her lip, "Blue?" 

 

Then he hears Key snort a seat away from him, he hears a low mumbling, "It's black and green." 

 

They ask a few more questions for a few minutes before the next candidate comes in. 

 

A candidate named Nam Jaeyoon. 

 

More  like NAM-JA-e-Yoon. Seriously, Jonghyun wasn't sure if he was looking at a boy or girl. No offense, but in all due respect a woman should not have that much hair in her pits. 

 

So the day passes on slowly as they took a look at each of the candidates and Key silently failing each girl. He wasn't jealous, no, the thought of having Jonghyun do We Got Married was just ridiculous, if anything the person that needed to be in the show was their leader. God knows how he needs to have a relationship, since all four of them had lovers. 

 

He was not jealous. 

 

The Almighty Key never gets jealous. 

 

The time was 3:00 and they were only half of the candidates left. Feeling tired, the two youngest members opted to rest their heads for a few minutes. They were sure that their hyungs could handle this themselves. 

 

"No," Key disapproves as soon as the tenth candidate came in. 

 

"Why? What's wrong with her?" Onew asks with reading the candidates profile, "She seems nice and she's pretty." 

 

"No," Key repeats again. 

 

"Reason?" Jonghyun raises an eyebrow. 

 

"She has feet the size of big foot," Key simply states. Jonghyun rolls his eyes and smiles at the candidate. That is until he sees her feet. 

 

"WOAH!" Jonghyun exclaims and everyone in the room looks at him. He scratches his head in embarrassment and clears his throat. 

 

"Hi," He greets. 

 

"Hi!" She enthusiastically exclaims, "I'm like your biggest fan. I know everything about you. Your favorite foods. Your favorite places to go, even where you guys live! But it's not like I stalk you or anything. I'm just incredibly in love with you-"

 

For the rest of the time she babbles about how great they are, completely ignoring their questions for her. 

 

"She's really annoying," Taemin whispers to Minho and Jonghyun couldn't agree more. 

 

Aftee big foot- the tenth candidate-- Jonghyun has to take note that he can't call her that, leaves, Jonghyun's interest in doing the show declined. The rest of the candidates followed, they didn't share the same interests, or the same hobbies. All they cared about was trying to get married with SHINee's lead vocalist. 

 

But unconsciously, he hears mumbled answers coming from the left side. 

 

Little things that were the answer to his questions. 

 

"T-Pain, Nelly, Michael Jackson. Green and black. He sings in the shower. Someone who has a pretty smile. Does not know how to ride a bike. Milk tea and water." 

 

It's like he wasn't asking the questions to the candidates, rather he was asking Key. 

 

"My inspiration?" He looks straight ahead at the last candidate, but his attention and ears are directed to Key. 

 

"Robert Pattinson?" 

 

"His mom, he respects her so much," Key unconsciously says without looking up, scanning the papers in his hand. 

 

Jonghyun closes his eyes and smiles affectionately. When he opens them again he stares at the last candidate and bows to her letting her know that her time was up. 

 

They all stand up picking up the stray pieces of paper and putting them inside their individual clipboards. 

 

Taemin stretches his tense muscles from all the sitting they did. It was five in the afternoon by the time they finished. 

 

It was instructions that they meet the head PD before they leave. And that they did. When the members were back at the conference room the head PD was looking at them with sparkly eyes. 

 

"Did you choose yet, Jonghyun-ssi?" He remarked. 

 

Jonghyun shook his head, "Not yet, but I do have a few girls in mind." 

 

The head PD claps, "That's great!" 

 

Jonghyun looks at s, "Hey guys, do you think I can to PD-nim in private?" 

 

Key raises an elegant brow but Jonghyun's eyes are pleading. It must be important. He lets out a long sigh and head towards the double doors along with the other members. 

 

"What is it that you wanted to talk to me about?" 

 

"We're supposed to sleep here tonight right?" 

 

"That is correct."

 

"I have a proposition for you." 

 

---

 

"Jjong, that's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard," The leader comments once he's told about Jonghyun's plan. 

 

Jonghyun whines, "It's just an experiment! I really don't want to do this show." 

 

"But he's not going to know there's a small pea placed under twenty stacks of feather mattresses. You're crazy. This isn't a fairy tale." Onew argues. 

 

Jonghyun eyes him, "Please?" 

 

"...Fine. But you have to do something in return." Onew retorts. 

 

"A bucket of chicken."

 

"Two."

 

"Call." They shake hands and Jonghyun leads them to the room to place twenty mattresses atop each other with a pea under one of the mattresses. 

 

---

 

Key opens the door, and is perplexed when he sees where he was supposed to sleep. 

 

"Remind me again why I'm sleeping here?" Key asked Jonghyun in a diva-ish manner of tone.

 

Jonghyun flicks his hair out of his face, "The other girls were supposed to sleep here tonight but they went to a nearby hotel to spend the night instead. And this is the only room left." 

 

Key doesn't look convinced, "Then can't I sleep with one of you guys?" 

 

Jonghyun shakes his head, "We aren't sharing a room, sorry Bummie." 

 

He places a gentle kiss on his forehead, "You'll just to bear with this room." 

 

"I guess there's no choice is there?" 

 

Jonghyun smiles apologetically, "Good night, Bummie. I love you."

 

"Love you too, you dino." 

 

---

 

Morning came and all the SHINee members were at the dining table, waiting for Key. It was weird for Key to be late for breakfast since he's usually the first one to get up in the morning. 

 

"I wonder what happened to Key-hyung," Taemin voices out after he takes a sip of his orange juice. 

 

"He's probably getting ready," Minho replies. 

 

They continue eating for a while, then the Diva enters the dining hall. 

 

Onew's mouth drops open, his toast falling to his plate. Taemin spits the orange juice out of his mouth and Minho looks surprised. Jonghyun turns his head back to see what the commotion was about and his eyes widen at what he sees. 

 

The Almighty ing Key looks so... 

 

...horrible. 

 

Dark circles under his eyes, his hair unkempt so unlike the hair conscious Key they're so used to. The button of his dress shirt mismatched and his glasses were on his face instead of contacts.

 

Minho was the first on to ask, "What the hell happened to you?"

 

"Don't even ask." Key grits his teeth and sits down next to Jonghyun, "That was the worst sleep I've ever had." 

 

Both Jonghyun and Onew looked at each other but didn't say a thing, waiting for their diva to continue. 

 

"I swear to God, whenever I turned to sleep at one side, it was like something was poking me and the damn thing wouldn't go away no matter which position I slept. The ing floor was more comfortable." Key grumbles as he places slices of fruits on his plate. 

 

Jonghyun can't believe that his silly plan actually worked. 

 

Leave it to Key to have skin as sensitive as a princess. 

 

Well he was a diva after all. 

 

---

 

 

The headlines were filled with a particular article after two weeks. 

 

"The Diva and the Pea: SHINee's Jonghyun reveals how he chose a fellow SHINee member, Key, to be his partner for We Got Married!" 

 



 

 

Remember the JongKey petition for WGM?.... Yeah XD

Comment please~! :D

P.S. I learned something new, did you guys know Taemin's baptismal name is Francesco? 

--♡Cim