Coffee Encounters

Coffee Encounters

Pressed in between the crowd Heeyoung fought her way to the entry of the train. It was another Monday and the mass of people was on its way to either office or college. Heeyoung however wasn’t heading to any such place. She had a day off and wanted to visit her halmeoni. Unlike the instant picture anyone would have with the mentioning of an older woman in an elderly home, Heeyoung’s halmeoni was far from what you’d expect. In an odd way, Heeyoung’s halmeoni was fun.

With a little force Heeyoung managed to board the train and secured a little space against the wall. Luckily she wouldn’t have to grab the pole to keep her balance. Heeyoung had a vivid aversion to touching public property. It was hardly a difficulty to imagine all types of bacteria from all types of places to stick together and form that greasy, recognizable yucky feeling.

“Excuse me?” Heeyoung heard a woman’s voice say, but she couldn’t see anyone over the heads around her. Then the doors closed. She wondered if the person had managed to board or not. One way or another, the train was leaving the station and it was completely packed with people. ‘Only three stops left, only three…’ Heeyoung reassured herself to keep from pushing the sweaty man in front of her away.

When they arrived at the first stop, Heeyoung saw to her surprise that lots of people exited, including Mister ‘I’ll-deprive-anyone-in-the-entire-cabin-of-not-even-so-fresh-air’. It was still full in the train, but at least Heeyoung had some breathing space now.

At the last moment, a guy with a cup of coffee in his hand was boarding. A look of displeasure was on his face as he looked around for an empty seat but failed to find one. ‘Another one of those lads with coffee.’ Heeyoung thought as the guy grabbed the pole with the sleeve of his jacket and tried to keep his coffee from leaking out of the cup. The train continued its journey.

He was now standing in front of her, giving her a quick glance and something which may have been an approving nod, but one could never be sure with all that train movement. Heeyoung took the time and the freedom to take in his features. He was pretty handsome, tall and broad shouldered, a little innocent maybe? His name was Dongwoon, or he had called himself that when he went to get some coffee at Starbucks… Either way, it said Dongwoon on his Starbucks cup.

“Studying anatomy?” the guy who went by the name Dongwoon asked with a grin.

“Eh, no, not at all!” Heeyoung answered honestly, before realizing he was making a remark on her little (what she thought unnoticeable) investigation and started blushing, something she wasn’t used to doing. The guy just flashed a crooked smile at her and that kind of made it worse.

Just when Heeyoung wanted to apologize (something which wasn’t exactly necessary) and tell him what she was doing for educational purposes (which wasn’t necessary at all), someone had pulled the emergency stop and the train was rapidly losing speed. The results meant a crushed Heeyoung against the train’s wall, a Dongwoon pressed against her and a leaking cup of coffee between them.

When the train had stopped moving altogether, Heeyoung felt how she could breathe freely again, because Dongwoon had stepped backwards, discarded the cup and started apologizing profusely.

Heeyoung didn’t notice the coffee stain on both their shirts at first, she was too shocked with the realization that she wouldn’t mind it at all if gravity would shift and she’d be pressed against Dongwoon’s chest once more. Wait, did she really just thought that?

“I’m so sorry, can I buy you a new shirt?” Dongwoon asked almost pleading, as he had interpreted her silence as anger.

“Sorry, what?” Heeyoung asked, wondering if he had really said what she just heard.

That was the moment she noticed her shirt, and his too, was stained with coffee and possibly ruined forever.

“You can’t really walk around like that, can you? Please let me buy you a new shirt.” Dongwoon offered again.

Now that was a tempting offer… Heeyoung could see herself marching around the shopping mall with him, trying on different shirts and Dongwoon would have to check her out in everyone of them.

“No, it’s not necessary, I’m OK.” Heeyoung answered out of reflex, but she tried to cover the stain by holding her arms crossed over her chest.

Dongwoon sighed. “No, you’re not… I don’t often do this, but I insist.”

Heeyoung looked up to see his face and his grin greeted her. He wasn’t very innocent, how come she ever thought that?

“I can’t, I’m about to visit my halmeoni…” Heeyoung brought in as an excuse, even though she really would like to spend some more time with Dongwoon.

“All the more reason to look clean!” Dongwoon reasoned, without doubt also picturing her halmeoni to be the usual old lady…

“Oh, then you don’t know my halmeoni!” Heeyoung said amused.

“No halmeoni wants their granddaughter walking around with a smear on their clothes!” Dongwoon stated. Of course he had a point…

“No halmeoni would want their granddaughter to go shopping with strangers.” Heeyoung challenged.

To that Dongwoon immediately extended his hand.

“I’m Son Dongwoon, born in 1991, a good eater and an overall nice guy. There, now I’m not a stranger anymore!”

Heeyoung laughed, this Dongwoon was a nice guy. “I’m Heeyoung.” she said and shook his hand.

“Great, let’s go shopping!” Dongwoon said and took her arm, just to release it again as he realized they were still waiting on the train to start driving again.

Suddenly Heeyoung became very conscious of the stares she was receiving from one of the men on the train. He was staring with big round eyes (not the cute type, but the creepy type) at a particular spot on her chest. Heeyoung felt exposed, she had no idea how to make the man stop looking at her. Glaring didn’t work, since the man made no eye-contact with her. She coughed and turned away a little, hoping that would send the message. It didn’t change the man’s staring behavior, but now Dongwoon had noticed the man as well. Disgusted by the way the man had started to his lips, Dongwoon turned towards Heeyoung and hugged her. He was shielding Heeyoung from the man and at the same time making her unable to see the disturbing look on the man’s face.

Realizing with shock that Dongwoon wasn’t going to stop hugging her like that until they were going to depart the train, Heeyoung blushed and couldn’t utter a word. She just hoped her blushing wasn’t noticeable by warmth, since their cheeks were a mere inch apart.

“Sorry if this makes you uncomfortable, I just can’t stand the look on that man’s face.” Dongwoon whispered in her ear.

This really had Heeyoung startled, what did he mean? Why should he be bothered by it?

When the train finally stopped at a station, Heeyoung felt a wave of disappointment as Dongwoon moved away. However, that feeling was quickly replaced with more warm wonderment when he grabbed her hand instead and led her out of the train. It was difficult not to like Dongwoon, he had that confident, but still modest thing going on, a really attractive charm.

“What kind of shirt do you like?” Dongwoon asked, still holding Heeyoung’s hand, like they were lovers on a summer’s walk. Except that they weren’t.

“Hmm…” Heeyoung made a stretched thinking sound. She wasn’t sure what the best answer was.

Something cheap…? He might get offended if she insisted she just wanted a plain white T-shirt. However, if she chose anything that costs above average, it might look like she was using the opportunity…

“You know what, I have an idea.” Dongwoon stated and started walking, while taking Heeyoung with him by the hand.

“Where are we going?” Heeyoung asked, wondering whatever idea had popped up in his mind.

“To my aunt.” His short answer came, but his excitement rung through those few words.

“Woah? Why am I meeting your family?” Heeyoung let out, but then became embarrassed by the suggestion that he was going to introduce her to his family.

Dongwoon grinned. So, he did caught that small hint. “My aunt is the owner of Seoul’s newest fashion brand. I think you’ll like her fashion. Georgio Armani called it ‘my new favorite Asian fashion brand’ when he met her during the Fashion Week in Paris.”

Heeyoung’s mouth hung slightly open upon hearing that, how was she ever going to refuse politely at this new offer? He was going to buy her one of his aunt’s shirts? That was crazy!

At a store, which was prettily decorated, not to mention classy, Dongwoon halted and opened the door to let Heeyoung in. For a moment, Heeyoung was convinced she just entered heaven. The atmosphere was really light and clean, soft music was playing in the background and even the smell was inviting. Dongwoon walked straight towards the shirt department, which made Heeyoung remember what they were here for.

“Hmm, do you like this one?” Dongwoon picked a soft blue colored shirt with ¾ long sleeves and a wide neck out of one of the clothing racks.

It looked absolutely stunning, but so did the rest of the stuff…

“Dongwoon-ah!” An excited female voice sounded behind them.

“Auntie!” Dongwoon replied. “How have you been?”

“Oh, the usual stuff. I’ve been a little hectic, but lately things are a little more balanced in life.”

Heeyoung used the time Dongwoon and his aunt talked to each other to take a look at the latter. The woman was probably in her mid-forties, but she looked as gorgeous as someone in the end of her twenties.

“Auntie, this is Heeyoung, I kind of ruined her shirt, so I was hoping to buy her a new one from your store.” Dongwoon said, bringing Heeyoung back to the present.

A smile broke out on his aunt’s face.

“Oh, that’s so thoughtful, is she your girlfriend?”

A silence followed in which the both of them looked at each other and started blushing a little, Heeyoung more than Dongwoon though.

“G-g-girlfriend?” Heeyoung uttered.

“No, no, no~” Dongwoon announced, a little too assuring, while his voice gave away that he wasn’t at all sure about that. “We just met.”

“Oh~” his aunt replied knowingly and nodded. “Well, if you want a shirt, you can pick whichever you like! I’ll give them to you for free, but don’t tell your friends, okay?” She directed it to Heeyoung and winked.

“You don’t have t…-” Heeyoung started, but Dongwoon’s aunt shook her head.

“I know I don’t have to, but I want to.” She smiled politely.

An hour and a half later, Heeyoung felt like she had tried on about every shirt available and was well on her way trying all the pants and dresses and skirts. While she had just come to buy a shirt, Dongwoon’s aunt had gradually begun to give her a complete new wardrobe.

It was a blast. Heeyoung tried on something, Dongwoon gave his opinion (usually praise) and his aunt had come with something more to try.

When they were done, Heeyoung had received a total of three complete outfits and did not even had to pay a single cent. She felt a little guilty and wondered what she should tell her parents, but overall she was happy and grateful.

“I’ll walk you to the station.” Dongwoon offered when they had said goodbye to his aunt and left the store.

“Thanks.” Heeyoung smiled and let Dongwoon take one of her bags to carry.

During their walk to the station they talked endlessly and exchanged phone numbers. Heeyoung noticed they were walking slower with every step. Neither of them wanted to say goodbye so soon.

“Have fun at your halmeoni’s!” Dongwoon said, when they arrived at the platform where the train was about to come.

“Thanks, I will.” Heeyoung answered.

A silence stretched between them as no further words were required to be said, but a lingering feeling kept them together. While the train arrived at the platform, Heeyoung and Dongwoon kept staring into each other’s eyes. Dongwoon broke the magic slightly by coughing once, but then he did the complete unexpected as he moved forwards and kissed Heeyoung, pulling her close to him.

When the kiss ended he sprinted away, turned, smiled and waved.

“I’ll miss you, call me this evening!” he yelled and skipped out of sight.

Her heart was pounding as she boarded the train with her three shopping bags. Never again would she judge coffee stains as a bad thing. And lads with coffee on the train were handsome.