Shy Boy

Shy Boy

 

The Carmel haired boy opened his locker and slowly took out the books he would need for his morning classes.

"Hey Jongup," a taller boy said waking towards him. Jongup didn't make any move to acknowledge that he had heard him, "yah! Jongup!"

Jongup jumped slightly and turned to the other, "hyung! Don't do that!"

The other laughed, "I called you before! Are you thinking about him again?"

Jongup blushed, "hyung, I wasn't thinking about him so hush! Someone might here!"

The older boy smirked, "afraid your fan club might get jealous?"

Jongup blushed, "hyung what are you talking about? I don't have a fan club!"

The older boy shook his head opening the locker beside Jongup’s, "Jongup, Jongup, Jonguppie! Yes you do! How can you be so clueless?"

“I’m not clueless!” Jongup exclaimed, “I’m just—”

The older male looked at his friend curiously when he stopped talking, “Jongup?” The older followed his eyes and saw what had distracted the younger male. He smirked, “You should talk to him!”

Jongup widened his eyes, “No hyung—”

“Hey Himchan!” The elder cut him off. The younger’s jaw dropped and he hid himself in his locker. The said boy walked over to the pair.

“Hey Daehyun, what’s up?” Himchan said smiling

“Nothing I just wanted to introduce you to my friend,” Daehyun turned to the smaller boy, “Hey Jong—”

Daehyun stopped speaking when he realized the younger boy had disappeared and he turned back to Himchan disappointed, “well he was here a second ago.”

Himchan smiled at him awkwardly, “well maybe he had somewhere important to go?"

Daehyun frowned, "yeah important." he shook his head, "well let’s get to class, hyung"

Himchan smiled again, "ok!" and they walked over to their class not noticing the younger boy watching them from the window of one of the underclassman's classrooms.

**

Himchan sat down at his usual table for lunch and soon after Daehyun sat down next to him.

“So,” The younger boy began but didn’t continue.

Himchan watched the other boy eat with a curious look on his face, “So…?”

“Are you going to the dance recital?” Daehyun says around a mouth full of food.

Himchan gives him an even more confused look, “why? I don’t know anyone who’s in dance.”

Daehyun rolled his eyes, “My friend will be performing and I want you to meet him.” Daehyun look another bite of food but continued, “He’s a good dancer too. And I bet you’d enjoy the performance.”

Himchan rolled his eyes, “Why are you so eager for me to meet your friend? And why isn’t he at lunch?”

Daehyun smiled, “Because I think y’all would make great friends! And he’s in the other lunch period; he’s a year younger than us.”

Himchan nodded his head, “Ok whatever.” He took a bite of his food and smirked, “you’re favorite person is coming over,” he said in a sing song voice.

Daehyun’s face paled and he swallowed his food, “Wha—”

“Hey guys,” a deep voice said from behind Daehyun. Daehyun glared at Himchan, “do you mind if I sit with y’all?”

Himchan smiled sweetly, “Of course you can Yongguk!”

Daehyun’s glare became murderous as Yongguk sat down between him and Himchan. Yongguk smiled in his direction but the smile left his face when he saw Daehyun, “Are you ok?”

Daehyun smiled uncomfortably, “Yeah I’m ok.” He said shorty

Yongguk looked confused, “What were y’all talking about?” he asked no one in particular.

“Daehyun’s trying to get me to go to the dance recital with him,” Himchan answered taking another bite of his food. His face lit up, “Hey y’all should go together!”

Yongguk smiled but shook his head, “We can’t”

Himchan looked confused and Daehyun looked down sadly, “Why not?” Himchan asked

“Because I’m performing in the recital,” Yongguk said happily, “and I actually came over to ask if y’all would go watch me!”

Daehyun smiled, “yeah, sure!”

Himchan smiled, “Well I guess I can’t get out of it now, Sure I’ll go”

Yongguk smiled, “Cool! I’ll see y’all later! I have to go get the others so we can get some extra practice in after their lunch.”

The two boys watched Yongguk walk out of the cafeteria and Himchan turned to Daehyun, “well at least you said something this time.”

Daehyun blushed, “Shut up!”

“But seriously I think he likes you,” Himchan said in a sing song voice, “you should ask him out.”

“Himchan—” Daehyun was interrupted by the bell. He sighed, “Let’s just go to class”

Himchan giggled and they both got up to throw away their trash and walked out of the cafeteria. Daehyun saw Yongguk talking to Jongup and another, taller boy. He wanted to say something to Himchan but he saw Jongup staring at Himchan again and decided not to torcher the younger boy.

**

“Hyung we’re almost there,” Daehyun heard Jongup say on the phone, “I’m so excited—”

Jongup’s voice was cut off by a strange noise, “Jongup?” There was no answer, “Jongup? Are you there?”

“H-hyung?” He heard softly.

“Jongup are you ok? What happened?” Daehyun said worriedly. Himchan looked at him for the first time with a worried look on his face.

“Hyung it hurts.” Jongup said softly, “U-umma? A-appa?”

“Jongup where are you?” Daehyun said getting up.

“I-I don’t know,” Jongup’s voice was getting softer, “Hyung I’m sleepy.”

“No stay awake!” Daehyun yelled, standing up. Himchan followed the younger boy as he ran to the back of the stage; too afraid to ask what was wrong.

“Hyung! Hyung where’s you’re instructor?! Something happened to Jongup!” Daehyun said as soon as he spotted Yongguk back stage.

“What do you mean Daehyun?” Yongguk said noticing tears in Daehyun’s eyes.

“Jongup! I’m on the phone with him! And something’s happened!” He exclaimed and then spoke into the phone again, “Jongup? Jongup? Are you there?”

Tears began to fall from his eyes and all he could hear over the phone were police sirens. He fell to the floor before Himchan or Yongguk could catch him—sobbing. Yongguk ran to get the dance instructor to tell her what happened. Himchan gathered Daehyun into his arms and grabbed the phone.

“Hello?” He questioned over the phone.

“Hello? May I ask who this is?” a voice sounding like an adult’s voice asked.

“My-my name’s Himchan. I’m a friend of Jongup’s? May I ask what happened?” He nervously asked.

“So the boy’s name is Jongup.” The voice mumbled, “Ok well he was in an accident. We are sending him and his family to the hospital. I’m sorry you had to listen to it over the phone. Please come to the hospital soon. He’ll need a friend when he wakes up.”

“What do you mean wakes up?” Himchan questioned.

“I’m sorry I can’t tell you anything more. Please come to the hospital quickly,” the voice replied, “I’m hanging up now.”

Himchan looked at the phone as Yongguk came back, “What happened?”

“I don’t know,” Himchan replied, “There was an accident. They are taking him to the hospital.”

“Ok,” Yongguk replied and ran off again.

“It’s ok Daehyun,” Himchan soothed the younger, “you can go to the hospital. Don’t stay here ok?”

Daehyun sobbed louder, “O-ok.”

Yongguk came back not long after, “The instructor cancelled the recital.”

Himchan frowned. Was that really necessary? But he didn’t question it.

“I’ll talk Daehyun to the hospital to check on Jongup,” Yongguk told Himchan. Himchan nodded and helped Yongguk get Daehyun to the car.

**

Daehyun didn’t go to school the next day. Himchan became worried when he wouldn’t even answer the multiple texts that Yongguk and himself sent to the younger boy.

Daehyun did return to school two days later. His eyes were puffy and it looked like he hadn’t slept in a few days. Himchan was worried about him. He noticed Daehyun didn’t eat most of his lunch and he didn’t talk as much, or smile often.

The next day Himchan looked up at his younger friend when he sat a card down in front of him at lunch.

“It’s a get well soon card,” Daehyun mumbled, “please sign it for Jongup.”

“But I don’t know who he is…” Himchan said as he picked up the card and opened it. His eyes widened when he saw all the signatures and get well wishes in the card, “wow he’s popular.”

“I got the dance club to sign it,” Daehyun said, “And his fan club.” He smiled bitterly.

Himchan wrote a simple get well on the card and gave it back to Daehyun, “Daehyun please eat something.”

“I’m not hungry.” He frowned.

“Please eat,” A deep voice said behind Daehyun, “Jonguppie wouldn’t like it that you’re not eating.”

Yongguk sat down and put a tray in front of Daehyun. Daehyun had tears in his eyes but slowly ate the food that was on the tray. He noticed it was all his favorites and looked up at Yongguk; who gave him a weak smile.

“Let’s go visit him after school, ok?” Yongguk said hugging Daehyun. “He’d love the card you got him.”

Daehyun smiled weakly and nodded. Yongguk turned to Himchan, “You should come with us.”

“Why?” Himchan asked confused, “I don’t know him.”

Yongguk smiled, “Because Daehyun has been wanting you to meet him and I’m sure Jonguppie wouldn’t mind having a new visitor.”

**

Daehyun couldn’t wait to visit Jongup after school and give him the card that almost everyone in the school signed. And Jongup said he wasn’t popular! If only he could see it…

Yongguk drove them to the hospital. They parked and went straight to his room in the CCU. Himchan was nervous; hospitals always made him nervous, but he followed the other two into the room and saw a younger boy lying in the single bed. He silently gasped. The boy had multiple tubes and wires going into and out of his body. Himchan could hardly recognize him as the boy he had saw with Daehyun on multiple occasions. He was a cute boy but now he just looked in pain.

But Himchan couldn’t even tell if he was in pain or not because the boy wasn’t moving nor did he have his eyes open. Daehyun’s voice surprised him, “Hey Jonguppie! I’ve brought you a card! Almost everyone in school signed it for you! I told you, you were popular!”

Daehyun sat on a chair by the bed and Yongguk sat on the couch by the window, “you even have a new visitor! Himchan agreed to meet you today!”

Yongguk motioned for Himchan to sit by him as he watched Daehyun talk to the seemingly lifeless boy on the bed.

Himchan sat by Yongguk and whispered, “What’s wrong with him?”

Yongguk smiled bitterly, “he’s in a coma. He has a concussion and he passed out before the police or ambulance got there and they couldn’t wake him up.”

Himchan frowned. If he couldn’t talk to or actually meet the boy then why was he here?

“Jonguppie had a crush on you,” Yongguk said, still looking at Daehyun, “Dae thought you could help Jongup wake up if he heard you were here.”

Himchan’s eyes widened, “h-how? I don’t even know him.”

Yongguk turned to him, “Apparently Jonguppie’s been watching you for a while now. Dae told me everything when I signed the card for Jonguppie.”

Himchan sighed, “You should ask him out.”

Yongguk looked surprised, “Who?”

“Daehyun,” He replied looking at his friend and the boy on the bed, “You like him so ask him out.”

Yongguk stood up suddenly, “Daehyun let’s go get some coffee”

Daehyun looked confused. Not right now you idiot, Himchan thought. But he sighed as they walked out of the room together.

He stood up and sat in the chair Daehyun evacuated, “So um—hi,” Himchan said awkwardly, “my name is Himchan. Yongguk said you had a crush on me?”

The only sound he heard was the beeping of the machines, “I mean it’s ok that you like me. It’s actually a little flattering really.” He laughed awkwardly.

“You have a lot of admirers so you liking me is a little surprising.” He continued, “You could have liked any of them but you chose me; a person that doesn’t even know you.”

He laughed again but quickly stopped when he heard the beeping speed up. He looked at the boy and the beeping suddenly stopped. He ran out of the room, knocking the chair over in a rush yelling for a nurse. The nurse ran in and quickly ran out again; all he could hear her yell was “Code blue!”

Another nurse ran past him with some sort of cart and about three other nurses ran in after her and shut the door. The clerk got on the phone and Himchan paled. What was going on?

Just then Yongguk and Daehyun came back to the room-hand in hand. They both saw Himchan’s pale face and ran to him.

“What happened?” Daehyun exclaimed when he was close enough to Himchan.

“I-I don’t know I was talking to him and the machines went off.” He said looking around worriedly.

Daehyun dropped his coffee. “No, please no!”

He ran to the door but a nurse stopped him and told him that everything was under control. Daehyun began crying again and Yongguk held him. They walked to the waiting room and sat down. Himchan asked the nurse to get them when everything was settled.

They sat in a silence with Daehyun sobbing, “Both his parents died.” He suddenly said.

Himchan’s eyes widened.

“He doesn’t even know because he won’t wake up!” Daehyun sobbed, “Or maybe he knows but won’t wake up because of it.”

Daehyun couldn’t stop crying and Himchan was starting to feel bad for the younger boy. The nurse came to them after about five minutes; or was it five hours? Himchan couldn’t tell anymore.

“You can go back in now,” She said and went back to work.

The trio walked back into the room. Daehyun sat back on the chair and sighed, “Jonguppie you scared me! Please don’t do that again.”

He looked at his friend and gasped, “Guys…”

The two looked at the boy on the bed, Himchan’s eyes widened and Yongguk stood up and walked over to Jongup, “Jonguppie open your eyes.”

The boy on the bed didn’t move but the smile on his lips didn’t waver.

**

After that day Daehyun would drag Himchan to visit Jongup and Daehyun would tell Himchan everything about Jongup and make Himchan talk to Jongup. Jongup never moved but the smile on his face never went away. Himchan thought it was cute.

One afternoon Daehyun left the room to get some coffee and Himchan sat in the seat by the bed.

He sighed and looked at Jongup, “You should wake up soon ok? You’re worrying Daehyun. And… and I want to get to know you better. Not just from what Daehyun has told me”

He slowly touched Jongup’s hand and jumped when the hand twitched. He looked at the hand and back at the boy’s face and saw that Jongup’s face was scrunched up in pain. Himchan pressed the nurse’s call button and grabbed Jongup’s hand.

“Jongup can you hear me?” He said leaning over the boy, “Open your eyes Jongup.”

The boy on the bed gasped and opened his eyes. Himchan then yelled for Daehyun who was walking into the room behind the nurse.

Daehyun saw his best friend’s eyes and dropped his coffee and ran to Himchan’s side as the nurse got the youngest boy’s vitals and walked out of the room mumbling about calling a doctor.

Jongup smiled at the boys beside him, “Can I have water?” He roughly asked.

Daehyun laughed and hugged his friend who groaned, “I’ll see if you can! I think you have to get that tube out of your nose first!”

Daehyun ran out of the room; leaving Himchan with Jongup. Himchan was suddenly nervous.

Jongup blushed, “I’d like to get to know you better too.”

Himchan smiled at Jongup and Jongup smiled back.