Denials and Bribes

Just Not My Type

author's note: swearing will be used quite often throughout this story. 

I've always had a specific type. Always. My first three boyfriends were practically the same person. But of them all I think Tao represented my "type" best. He was tall and slim with perfectly defined muscles from his Wushu training, shaggy black hair and a few piercings rounded out his image. I always went for boys who looked like that. Although it never worked out between us, there was always something that was wrong. From day one my relationships always went into self-destruct mode. I'd notice one flaw and that flaw would drive me insane until we broke up. With Tao it was his tendency to not communicate. It was mostly because Tao just didn't like to talk, but in the end it brought our relationship crashing down.

My type was definitely not a squareish face, a reassuring smile, and no piercings to speak of. I had never in my life been attracted to anyone who looked like that. Or at least that's what I told myself when I first met him. I was waiting for my coffee, when he stumbled through the door looking a little wild-eyed and harried. Everyone gave him a wide berth, but I could see something had upset him.

"They're following me." He said to one lady, who took three steps back and looked at him as though she were trying to imagine a strait-jacket on him. He ran a hand through his hair messing up the perfectly arranged strands and his eyes darted around the shop. To me he looked almost like a trapped animal standing there trying to find a place to escape.

The doors behind him crashed open again and he jumped violently sprinting straight to me. I barely noted the three thugs that stood there because I had an armful of "crazy person". Before I knew it, the thugs were on us and the boy who'd crashed into the coffee shop minutes before them was hiding behind me.

"Can I help you?" I asked coldly staring the thugs down.

One of them glared right back at me. "We need to talk to our friend here in private."

"Funny. He doesn't look like your friend. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was scared of you. Doesn't seem like a healthy friendship to me."

One of the thugs pulled back an arm as though he were about to punch me.

"Hey!" The shopkeeper got in between us. "I won't have fighting in my shop! If you hooligans don't want anything move along for paying customers."

I felt the kid behind me let out a tense breath as the thugs walked away trying to look tough, even though they just got kicked out of a coffee shop by a guy who was easily three times their age. All bark and no bite. Or at least they didn't want to beat this kid up where people could connect it to them. I assumed they were still going to beat him up, anyway.

"S-sorry about that." He apologized finally circling back around to where I could see him. "Uhm. I-I'll get out of your hair now."

I raised an eyebrow. "You know they're just going to be hanging right outside waiting for you to leave." He shrugged. "I'll leave with you." I said using a tone that usually brooked no arguments.

He raised an eyebrow at me. "I don't think so." He responded. "I can handle this."

"Mmm, yes, is your way of 'handling' it letting them chase you all over Seoul? If so you're doing a bang up job." He opened his mouth to refute me. "Just shut up, okay. I'll drink my coffee and leave with you."

He sighed in defeat reluctantly agreeing with my plan. I gestured for him to take a seat at a nearby table and I did the same. "I'm Wu Fan. But you can call me Kris." I said.

"I'm Kim Joonmyeon."

I nodded. "So. You don't want to tell me why those thugs were chasing you?"

"Not today." He said sheepishly, studying his hands.

When he lifted his eyes to meet mine, I felt a frisson of attraction shoot between us. It was surprising to say the least. I admitted on an intellectual level that Joonmyeon was attractive. But he was no Tao. I had never felt attraction like this to someone who looked so different than what I was used to. He broke eye contact first his dark brown eyes flitting away to study the wall. Almost immediately my own gaze dropped to study my shoes as though they were suddenly intensely interesting to me.

The barista calling out my order was a welcome distraction. I stood up to go get it. And when I came back to the table he had disappeared. I glanced around expecting to see the three thugs at the front of the shop gone. But they were still there. I breathed a sigh of relief. So, Joonmyeon wasn't a total idiot. I took a sip of my coffee and headed out the door.

---

I spent too much time thinking about him after that. I even went on a ill-advised trip to the library to try and research him. However, I conveniently forgot just how many Kims there were in Korea, and quite a number of them had the name Joonmyeon or a variation of it. By the time I decided it wasn't worth it I had already thoroughly embarrassed myself. To make matters worse it ended up that he found me.

On campus, during my free period too.

"I never got the chance to thank you."

I spun around surprised to hear his voice. "You were the one who left." I said peevishly, trying to cover up my enthusiasm with my best glare. "How did you find me anyway?"

"Wu Fan is Chinese right? Well my friend, Sehun's boyfriend, Luhan, is Chinese and knows Yixing who was good friends with Huang Zitao -"

"So you stalked me through your friend's boyfriend's acquaintances?"

He blinked. "Stalked you? I just wanted to say thanks and Tao said this was your free period and the best time to talk to you because you got a little short with people when you were busy."

I stared at him unblinkingly. I also decided to have a good talk with Luhan. He'd been listening to me talk about Joonmyeon for a week but conveniently forgot to mention that he was one of Sehun's friends. He was probably having a good laugh with Yixing and Tao right now. My friends seemed to enjoy watching me in pain. Which made me wonder why they were my friends in the first place.

"Aren't you going to...say anything?" Joonmyeon asked.

I grunted. "You thanked me. Wasn't that what you came for?"

His eyebrows disappeared under his perfectly coifed hair (almost involuntarily I noted it was much less messy than my usual type's). "I guess - but..."

So maybe walking away in that moment was a bit childish. But I had been looking for Joonmyeon for a week, and he finds me through Luhan, Yixing and Tao. All of whom knew that I wanted to find him, and probably could've ended this game the day it began just by pointing me in Sehun's direction. On second thought, this was probably Sehun's idea of a funny joke and God knows Luhan can't ever say no to one of Sehun's schemes. And he usually bends Yixing and Tao to his will, which isn't that different from Sehun's. In other words, I had a good reason to be pissed, even if I didn't particularly have a good reason to be pissed at Joonmyeon.

He rushed to catch up with me. "I wanted to ask you another question, though!"

"So?"

"So what?"

"Are you going to ask me and finally 'get out of my hair'?" I flung his own words back at him and he took a step back from me.

"You know what? Never mind. It wasn't that important anyway. Have a great day." And then he was gone again, leaving me feeling vaguely guilty for some reason. What had he wanted to ask me? I shrugged it off silently. If he was dissuaded by a few harsh words and unblinking stares it couldn't be that important anyway.

---

Luhan found me in the cafeteria that day exactly an hour later, a bright grin in place. "So? Did Joonmyeon-ah find you? He said he was going to talk to you today."

"He found me."

I couldsee Luhan's eyes light up with devilish glee. "How'd it go? Where's the date going down? Do you need help with clothes? You can wear that Zara shirt I got for Minseok it's too long for him - "

"Wait. Back up. What date?"

"What do you mean what date? The whole reason Joonmyeon-ah wanted to find you was so that he could ask you out! And you obviously wanted that too I mean he was all you would talk about for a week. You two need a couple name. Krismyeon. No. Joonris."

"He didn't ask me out."

"Hmmmm. He does go by Suho when he's DJing. Maybe SuKris - "

"Luhan."

"SuRis? Oh I've got it! KrisH-"

"Luhan!"

He jumped violently giving me a petulant look. "What? Jesus, Kris. You don't have to yell at me."

"Joonmyeon. Did. Not. Ask. Me. Out." I ennuciated carefully.

"What do you mean he didn't ask you out?" Luhan demanded. "Oh my god, Kris. You did not pull the stare on him. Please tell me you didn't pull the stare on Joonmyeon!"

"He isn't my type anyway, Luhan. I would've turned him down - "

"You're an idiot. Sehun, Yixing, Tao and I planned this whole thing out. It was supposed to be a story that you could both laugh about when you grew old and gray together! But then you pulled the stare on Joonmyeon. Why would you even do that?" Luhan's voice was steadily rising.

"Because he's annoying. And just not my type!"

"Oh, like your 'type' worked so well the last dozen times you found him. Tao's the only one of your exes who even stays in the same room as you. You wouldn't know your real type if he ran straight into you. And he did! I'll fix it okay. But you have to at least go on one date with Joonmyeon before you turn him down."

"Shut up. I don't want you to fix it."

Luhan glared at me haughtily lifting his nose up and stalking away, presumably to go at Sehun about how I ruined their "genius" plan. Genius, my . Luhan was no matchmaker. And even if he was, I didn't need him nosing around in my love life.

It was only as he walked away that I realized I could've asked him about the thugs who were chasing Joonmyeon the day I met him. I slammed my head against the cafeteria table. Now, who was the idiot, Kris? That was the whole reason I wanted to find Joonmyeon in the first place. When someone comes crashing into your life like that, it's hard not to be at least a little bit curious about them, right? Because this was definitely not attraction. Kim Joonmyeon was not my type.

Well, now I was down one friend and I still didn't know why Joonmyeon was being chased. Luhan could be won back easily enough, if I got him a few designer clothes the whole thing would be erased from his memory. My wallet cringed as I thought of the sheer amount of clothes this transgression would take. Luhan hated when someone messed up his matchmaking schemes. And on top of that I told him not to fix it. Yeah, one Zara shirt was not going to fix this.

The mystery of why Joonmyeon was being chased was an even stickier issue. Yixing wouldn't tell me anything because Luhan would order him to ignore me. Sehun and I were never close to begin with. So that just left Tao. I could probably butter him up enough that Luhan's gag order would be ignored. But it was a matter of what to use to do that.

A smile formed. I had just the thing to get Tao to spill his guts.

---

I had been hanging out around Tao's car for two hours now. He had Wushu practice tonight, and should have just finished up. When he exited I smiled brightly at him. "Tao! Hey, buddy!"

He lifted an eyebrow at me. "Is there a reason you're smiling creepily and standing right in front of my car, Kris?"

"I just wanted to talk with you."

"If it's about Joonmyeon, I'm obliged to tell you that Luhan told me not to say a word."

Blackmail. As I suspected. "Well. I guess you won't be needing this, then." I took out a panda cap from my bag. "Too bad."

Tao's eyes studied the cap in my hands. "You play dirty." He accused. "But. Luhan has more dirt on me than that."

"He knows about you and Minseok at that party last week doesn't he?"

"Shhhhhhhhh. Shut. Up." Tao said hurriedly slapping a palm over my mouth. ". Does everyone know about that?"

I smiled beneath his hand. Bingo. In truth, the only person who didn't know about that was Minseok himself. And that was because the poor boy didn't hold his alcohol...well, at all really. Tao was still in a state of denial over his feelings for Minseok and desperate to keep that incident a secret from him. It was obvious to anyone who knew the both of them that they both felt the same way about each other. But this little song and dance that they played had been going on ever since they met each other. When Tao finally removed his hand I reached into my bag and pulled out my secret weapon.

A plush panda dressed up in a Wushu uniform. Tao's eyes went round. "Give it." He demanded.

"Not until you tell me what I want to know."

Tao looked conflicted. ". Alright. But if you tell Luhan that you heard it from me I'll deny everything, Kris."

"The day I met Joonmyeon he was being chased by three goons. Why?"

Tao's eyes left the panda plushie for a moment. "Why do you want to know so badly?"

"Just tell me or you're not getting the hat or this stuffed panda."

", Kris, I don't know. Joonmyeon doesn't get into a whole lot of trouble from what I know."

I glared at him. "You know more than that, Tao."

Tao's gaze lingered on the panda. "I really don't know!" He whined, obviously wanting the hat and panda in my hand. "Kris. Come on. I'm not even supposed to be talking to you at all, right now."

I sighed and handed over my bribes. Dead end.

"Look, Joonmyeon's a really private guy. If you want answers you should try Kyungsoo, that's his best friend. Don't tell Luh-"

"I won't." I promised.

So it looked like I was going to have to look up this Kyungsoo person. Hopefully he would know a little bit more than Tao did.

---

Right. So this is a threeshot.

I wasn't sure when I began this but now that I've read the whole thing, it's easier to break down into three parts.

And, yes, this is another college AU because omg I just love college AUs.

Expect part 2 tomorrow.