The New Girl

Crimson Lotus

 

Note: italic – said in English or in head. Normal – said in Japanese.

 

 

Ruki rolls out of bed groaning as he gets up to turn off the annoying alarm clock. He rubs his eyes while walking to the bathroom. Taking his morning shower before school, the hot water helps him wake up.

Turning off the water, he starts drying himself. Leaning over the sink he wipes the steam off the mirror, in the reflection he sees a skinny body staring back at him. His pale skin covered with bruises, old and new. He hovers over a fresh one on his upper left arm. When he lightly touches it he winces in pain.

Ruki looks at the other person in the mirror with dark blue vacant eyes a few more seconds before turning away, disgusted by the pathetic sight. He strides out the bathroom with only a towel wrapped around his thin waist. Turning to the clock, he sees that he is about to be late.

He rushes to his closet, picking a black pair of tight fitting skinny jeans and a faded tight black V-neck shirt, with just enough fabric to cover his bruised arms. Going back to the bathroom, he puts his thick eyeliner on faster than any girl could ever do and rubs hair wax into his semi short blond choppy hair giving it a teased layered look.

He double checks himself before running down the stairs to make himself a quick breakfast, which consist of a piece of toasted bread.

Shoving the overcooked bread into his mouth he goes to the door stepping into his worn out black vans and putting random rings, ranging from skulls to plan sliver ones on his long skinny fingers. Also taking the time to fix his earrings and his sliver cross necklace.

Opening the front door he turns around looking at the empty house and yelling out, “I’m leaving!” all he hears is a muffled grunt as a reply as he walks out the door.

---

Ruki walks down the street to meet his two best friends at their usual spot before going to school. He turns the corner and sees two tall, dangerous looking guys leaning on a wall smoking some cigarettes, attracting a lot of attention, mostly coming from the school girls.

  Ruki snorts and runs up to his friends, the one with the noseband is playfully punching the one with honey blond hair that is as pretty as a girl. “Can I bum a cig, I just ran out of mine.” He says causing the two to turn in his direction. They smile while Reita reaches in his school bag for the box of cigarettes and tosses a stick to him. Popping it between his lips, he leans forward while Uruha lights it, coving the flame with his hands so the wind won’t blow it out.

Once lit, Ruki takes a long inhale letting the sweet smoke fill his lunges. Sighing, instantly feeling relaxed he mutters, “thanks I really needed that.” Blowing the smoke out and watching it fade into the air, Ruki starts to zone out. Then a sharp unpleasant feeling in his left arm brings him back, biting his bottom lip from the pain he puts his hand over the tender spot and turns to Reita glaring at him.

“Oh sorry man … did it happen again?” Reita looks at him with worry in his eyes.

Rubbing his arm softly the short one takes another puff from the cigarette and nods his head. Placing his hand softly on the small of Ruki’s back Uruha says, “Come on, let’s get going, I know what will make you feel better.” Uruha smiles wickedly. Ruki knows too well what that smile means and starts heading to school, smoking the rest of the cigarette on the way ignoring the people staring at him with disappointing eyes.

He throws the filter on the floor before opening the doors of the school. Just from looking at the cracked yellowish walls you can tell that the school has seen better days. Besides the fact that the school was a piece of crap, the three walk around like they own the place, which in this case is true because they are the toughest delinquents there. No one would dare try standing up to them. Everybody just averts their eyes and tries to stay out their way.

But not everyone is as lucky of being ignored by the trio, which is unfortunate for a sweet boy named Kai. Even though he is just as tall as Reita and Uruha, he gets picked on by Ruki the most (him being the shortest in the group).

The reason the feared delinquents pick on him the most is … no real reason, they just enjoy it. Also they love the fact that he never fights back.

Today they spotted the poor defenseless thing at his locker. They go up behind him and wait till he turns around. They wait quietly for a few seconds until Kai finally turned and saw what was behind him, his eyes go wide, turning around fast to face his locker once more to pretend that he didn’t see the delinquents. This only makes the three devils snicker at his priceless reaction. Kai prays silently before slowly looking over his shoulder.

Reita grabs his shoulder and spins him around, making him face the three. Then Reita pushes him, making him slam against the lockers. Kai gasps from the sharp pain, closing his eyes in defeat.

With his eyes still closed, he hears two banging noises on either side of him, causing him to open his eyes. On Kai’s left, it’s Uruha, with his arm leaning against the locker. Then on his right is Reita with his back against the lockers with his arms crossed. And in front it’s Ruki, smiling wickedly.

Ruki can feel a crowd of worried students forming around them, which causes him to feel superior. This makes the trio even more feared. That is even better because it means people will stay away. He doesn’t like people, besides the fact that he has two best friends and a few unofficial girlfriends (which were mostly made up of one nightstands who insisted on continuing their relationship beyond a one nightstand, that both ends knew would never work out). Ruki isn’t good with talking to people or getting his point across. Sometimes he even has trouble opening up to his two best friends. From time to time he even thinks it would have been so much easier having no friends. He wouldn’t have to talk about his ed up life at home or worry what the other person is thinking about him.

Shaking his head he turns his attention back on the shaking hopeless Kai. Just when he is about to shove Kai against the lockers again the bell for class rings. Cursing under his breath, he moves slowly out the way so Kai can run past him into the safety of his homeroom.

“Did you see how much he was shacking?!” Reita laughs, while mimicking Kai’s shacking.

Ruki smiles wide and pushes Reita playful “Oh my god, yes that alone made my day!”

“See, I told you, you would feel better after that.” Uruha smiles while punching Reita. It was true, messing with Kai always made Ruki forget about his problems.

Rubbing his arm, Reita says, “Damn man do you even know how to control your punches? Come on let’s get going. I don’t want to be late again.” He starts walking away to the direction of his class room.

Uruha catches up to him, he wraps one of his arms around Reita’s neck and starts to mess with his hair. “Aw, come on Ruki let’s listen to the little princess and go to class.” Ruki laughs and starts to follow behind them.

“Man you, my dad would kill me if I bring another late note home!” Reita elbows Uruha in the stomach, causing him to grunt and grab his stomach in pain. Once free, Reita starts to fix his locks, cursing up a storm about how it took him forever to do his hair.

“Ok let’s just go, damn” Uruha says still rubbing his belly.

Ruki laughs, “Ok well see you guys later.” He waves and walks into his homeroom right before the late bell rang. Taking in a deep breath he makes his way to the back of the class, sitting next to the window (his favorite seat).

He stares out the window when the homeroom teacher, Ms. Sato, comes in, “Everyone I have exciting news. We have a new student joining us.” Everybody in the class starts to ask questions and commenting, saying crap like ‘oh I wonder what they will be like’ or ‘I hope it’s a cute girl/boy this time’ and ‘blah blah blah’.

The teacher smiles at all the excitement and adds “oh and did I mention it’s a foreign exchange student from America!” this sets the entire class into an uproar of ‘Wow so cool!’ now even Ruki is curious as to know who the new student would be.

Ms. Sato walks out the room and returns with the new student next to her, which was hiding behind her. She steps to the side to reveal a petite girl with short jet black hair and pale skin. She has on black skinny jeans and a white loose-fitting shirt that hangs off her lean shoulders. Also her shoes are black combat boots that have little silver changes hanging off in every direction. Looking at the picture all together, Ruki declares that she isn’t that half bad.

The instructor turns to her and asks slowly, “why don’t you introduce yourself?” ‘Oh this should be good, a foreigner trying to speak in Japanese’. Ruki sits up and leans forward to get a better view of the disaster that is sure to come.

  She nods and takes a deep breath, then parting her rosy full lips she begins in Japanese, “My name is Vera Radmund, I’m from California” she mumbles something under her breath that no one hears, “I’m 17 and it’s nice to meet you all. Please take care of me!” ending the introduction with an informal bow.

Wow’ Ruki thought, crossing his arms over his chest and nodding his head in amazement ‘that wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. She must have stayed up all night with one of her host family practicing.

After clapping the teacher tells her to go to the only seat that’s open, which is at the back of the room … next to the very much feared delinquent, who no one wanted to sit next to. That’s why that seat has been empty from the beginning of the year.

“Ruki raise your hand!”, Ms. Sato snaps at him then turning to the new girl with a sweet smile the teacher says, “That is who you’re going to be sitting next to for the remainder of the time you’re here.” The class gasps, giving horror stricken looks at the new girl and looking back to steal quick glances at the delinquent, who just glared at everyone that made eye contact with him. Someone even yelled out, “What?! That’s way too mean Ms. Sato!” Vera just nods and starts making her way to the back of the class room, looking at the ground the whole time. The students watch her the whole time, some even turning in their seats to watch her walk past them.

She finally makes her way to the back of the room lifting her grey eyes, instantly locking eyes with a pair of intense dark sapphire eyes glaring back at her.

Instead of flinching with fear (which was what Ruki was hopping for) she challenged his deep gaze with a lifted eyebrow and clicked her tongue, looking him up and down. Then breaking their gaze, she looked away and sat down. He watched her the whole time in amazement because no one has ever challenged him at school, well anyone who wasn’t a fellow delinquent.

With new found interest, he leans over wanting to have a little fun with the fresh meat, “Hey, I’m Ruki.” He puts on his on his signature smile that makes any girl weak to the keens. The only problem is that she isn’t even looking at him.

Not giving up so easily he tapes her desk making sure she looks at him this time. She turns her head only a little ‘well that’s better than nothing’ he thought.

He started again talking slowly and using a lot of hand movements to help her understand what he is trying to say, “Hey, I’m Ruki”, giving his killer smile again, “so how are you liking Japan? I bet its way better than the U.S.” that might have came off as rude or cocky but Ruki’s social skills aren’t that great because the only people he talks to are just as bad as him.

She doesn’t even bat an eyelash before she starts to turn the other way. Thinking fast he grabs her chin and forces her to look at him. He his lips, “if you ever get bored with your host family or just looking for a good time just ask me.”

She winkles her nose and pushes his hand away, turning away from him completely. Ruki is stunned beyond belief, this never happened to him before. Every girl he sets his eyes on has given in to him within minutes. But not only did she not flinch from his death gaze she also didn’t bat an eyelash for his to-die-for smile. And let alone she also was clearly ignoring him, which pisses him off.

He absolutely hates being ignored. Annoyed he leans back in his seat and declares he has to teach her a lesson about ignoring a delinquent when he is talking to you. He grumbles under his breath, “cocky American .”

 

---

A/N: Well here it is. I hope you enjoyed it. Update real soon.