Doctor Baek Hyun

My Puppy Park Chan Yeol [DISCONTINUED]

In Korean Myth and Folklore class the next day, Ri Ah greeted Tae Sung brightly and even sat next to him. After class, Tae Sung walked with her as she headed to her next class.

“Did everything go okay after I left last night?” Tae Sung asked her in concern.

“Yes, although they said I’m not allowed to ride on your motorcycle anymore.”

“Is that so? Well I guess I’ll be bringing my car to school then,” he said with a smirk.

“Huh? Why? You don’t have to stop bringing your motorcycle.”

“Then do you plan on walking to the restaurant next time we eat?”

Ri Ah looked at him confused, “Next time?” Tae Sung just smiled.

“Don’t you have class to get to?” he reminded her.

“Ah, you’re right. See you later, Sunbae,” she said with a bow before running off to her next class.

Later that day Chan Yeol and Ri Ah met up after Chan Yeol was done with his classes to eat lunch together outside at a table.

“So I was thinking, this Saturday when we hang out, do you mind inviting your friends too?” Ri Ah asked as they ate.

Chan Yeol stopped chewing and looked at her, “My friends? Why?”

“Oh…just because…” Ri Ah tried to make up an excuse without exposing her plan, “I wanted to treat them for cheering me up last weekend.”

Chan Yeol looked down in disappointment. He wanted it to be just the two of them. “Well, I’ll just let you know that Baek Hyun might be busy,” he fibbed and glanced at Ri Ah to see her reaction.

“Oh, really?...What about D.O.-ssi?” she asked with eager eyes.

D.O.? It’s not Baek Hyun, but D.O.? “Um, I don’t know. I think I remember him saying he might be out of town this weekend,” he fibbed again.

Ri Ah pouted in disappointment. “Well, do you mind asking D.O.-ssi, Baek Hyun Sunbae, and Su Ho-ssi anyways?”

Chan Yeol sighed. “Yeah, I guess. What did you have in mind anyways?”

“I was thinking we could go to the Han River. I’ve heard it’s a must-see attraction in Seoul, and apparently it’s a good place for couples to go to.”

Chan Yeol choked on his food. “Couples?” he said with wide eyes. Is she really serious about D.O. then?

“Yes,” she asked with an excited smile.

Well, at least D.O. is better for her than Tae Sung. I guess I should be happy about that.

“I can’t wait. I hope everything goes well,” she said to herself. Chan Yeol suddenly lost his appetite and started poking at his food.

Later at home, Chan Yeol came down from his room to find Ri Ah in the living room doing homework.

“Ri Ah, I asked my friends and they said they should be able to make it on Saturday.”

“Really? Even D.O.?”

“Yeah, even D.O.,” he reluctantly answered.

“That’s great! Can you tell them to meet us there at 4?”

“Sure, I’ll let them know,” he responded with a sigh.

“Chan Yeol-ah, what’s wrong? You’re not your usual cheery self,” she asked with a worried expression.

Chan Yeol looked at her and thought about confessing to her that he wanted it to be just the two of them, but he changed his mind. “Just tired from school,” he meekly smiled.

The next day after Biology class, Ri Ah and Hye Ri were eating lunch like they usually did on Fridays.

“Hye Ri-ssi, are you busy tomorrow?” Ri Ah asked as they ate.

“Tomorrow? Mmm,” Hye Ri pondered her schedule. “No, I don’t think I have anything going on.”

“Great! Do you want to go to the Han River? I’ve never been.”

“Sure. I haven’t been there in a while.”

“Okay, I’ll meet you there at 4,” Ri Ah excitedly said.

Saturday came and Ri Ah got up early to make kimbap for their outing. 3:30 came and Chan Yeol arrived downstairs, ready to go. The two drove to the Han River and waited near a snack cart for the rest. The boys arrived first.

“Ri Ah! I feel like it’s been forever since I’ve seen you, even though it was only last weekend we last saw each other,” Su Ho said with a smile.

“I felt the same way too. I’m glad you guys could make it. I was worried you would be too busy Baek Hyun Sunbae. And I thought you were going out of town, D.O.-ssi,” Ri Ah answered.

“Busy?” Baek Hyun asked.

“Out of town?” D.O. asked confused.

“Yes, Chan Yeol…” Ri Ah started to say but Chan Yeol quickly covered .

“Haha, she means that she didn’t think you guys would be able to make it on such short notice,” Chan Yeol quickly said.

Ri Ah furrowed her eyebrows while Chan Yeol’s hand was still on . Baek Hyun, being the most observant one there, quickly caught on to what was going on and laughed to himself. D.O. stood there, still looking confused.

“What about me?” Su Ho asked, not wanting to be left out.

“Oh, I didn’t hear anything about you,” Ri Ah answered.

“Oh,” Su Ho answered in slight disappointment, though he didn’t understand why.

“So what do you want to do first?” Baek Hyun asked.

“Well actually, there’s one more person who’s coming.”

“Who?” D.O. asked.

Ri Ah’s phone rang and she answered it, “Hye Ri-ssi! Where are you?”

D.O. perked up at the mention of Hye Ri’s name, which didn’t go unnoticed by Baek Hyun.

“We’re waiting near a snack cart. Can you find us?...Okay, see you soon!” Ri Ah said as she hung up. “Hye Ri-ssi says she sees us and is heading over here.”

A few minutes passed and Hye Ri joined them. “Hello, nice to see you all again,” she greeted everyone as they each greeted her. She stood near Ri Ah and whispered to her, “You didn’t tell me Chan Yeol and his friends would be here.”

“Sorry, it slipped my mind,” Ri Ah whispered back. “Okay, so now that everyone is here,” she said to the group, “we can finally go on that.” Ri Ah pointed towards the swan couple boats on the river.

“Couple boats?” Su Ho asked. “But how are we going to partner up?”

“We could partner up like we did for the haunted house,” Ri Ah suggested, wanting to discreetly partner D.O. and Hye Ri together.

“I like that idea,” Su Ho agreed.

“I don’t,” Baek Hyun and Chan Yeol said in unison and they looked at each other.

“I’m not going to be seen riding a couple boat with him,” Baek Hyun said as he pointed towards Chan Yeol.

Chan Yeol glared at him. “The feeling’s mutual.”

“Okay, then how about this. We’ll play rock, paper, scissors and those with the same sign will pair up,” Su Ho suggested.

The group agreed and Ri Ah pouted a little at her failed plan. However she cheered up when D.O. and Hye Ri were paired up anyways. Ri Ah was paired with Baek Hyun and Su Ho with Chan Yeol.

“Ready partner?” Su Ho asked with a smile to Chan Yeol as they sat in the boat together.

Chan Yeol gave him an unamused look. “Just pedal, Hyung.” I can already tell this day is going to . Chan Yeol thought to himself.

“I’m glad I got paired with you, Ri Ah,” Baek Hyun said as they pedaled their boat.

“Me too, Baek Hyun Sunbae,” she said to him with a big smile before turning to look at D.O. and Hye Ri in their boat. She beamed when she saw them chatting. Baek Hyun followed Ri Ah’s gaze and smiled to himself.

“You know, I can help,” he said to her.

“Huh? With what?” she asked turning to him.

“You’re trying to get Hye Ri and D.O. together. I can help.”

“How did you know?” she asked with wide eyes.

Baek Hyun laughed. “Well, for one, you’re pretty easy to read. And two, I’m a very observant person.”

Ri Ah rubbed the back of her head and laughed in embarrassment. “I guess I’m caught. It’s just that I really thought D.O. was interested in Hye Ri from the way he acted last weekend, but when he took Hye Ri home, he didn’t make any further move.”

Baek Hyun sighed. “There’s something you need to know about D.O. He’s very shy when it comes to approaching girls. I agree with you that D.O. seems to like Hye Ri, but he won’t go for her unless we push them together.”

Ri Ah nodded as he explained.

“So, why don’t we make sure they’re stuck together throughout the day?” Baek Hyun suggested with a smile.

“Okay!” Ri Ah happily accepted.

“Partners?” he said as he held out his hand.

“Partners,” she said with a laugh as he took his hand.

Nearby Chan Yeol watched Ri Ah and Baek Hyun talking and laughing with crossed arms. Who is it she likes? D.O. or Baek Hyun?

“I’ve never ridden in these boats before. It’s actually kind of fun, although I never thought I would have my first ride with another guy,” Su Ho remarked.

Chan Yeol glared at him.

Su Ho smiled at him, “But I’m glad it was with you, Chan Yeol-ah.”

“Hyung, you’re creeping me out.”

“What? I can’t express my love towards my dongsaeng?” Su Ho joked.

“Aish, I should have just stayed on shore,” Chan Yeol said with an unamused face.

After the boat rides, the six met up near the boat rental area.

“What should we do now?” Su Ho asked.

“How about riding on tandem bikes?” Baek Hyun suggested.

“I don’t know how to ride a bike,” Hye Ri admitted shyly.

“Don’t worry. As long as the person you rides with knows, you’ll be fine,” Baek Hyun reassured her. “D.O. is a good bike rider so he’ll be a good partner for you. In fact, why don’t we keep the same partners?”

“I don’t want to!” Chan Yeol immediately exclaimed. “Su Ho Hyung was being creepy when we were in the boats. I’m not riding a tandem bike with him!”

“Okay, we’ll figure out the partners between us four by putting our palms face up or face down and the two with the same hands will be partners,” Baek Hyun suggested.

Chan Yeol sighed. “Do we really have to do this?”

“Oh come on, I think it’s a fun idea,” Su Ho said.

Baek Hyun looked at Ri Ah and mouthed “up” to her. She nodded to him.

“Okay, one, two, three,” Baek Hyun counted and the four put their palms out. Baek Hyun, Ri Ah, and Chan Yeol all had their palms face up.

“Alright, let’s try again,” Baek Hyun said. He mouthed “down” to Ri Ah. This time it worked and Su Ho and Chan Yeol were partnered again.

“Aish, I’m stuck with Su Ho Hyung again,” Chan Yeol exclaimed in irritation.

The 6 rented three bikes and partnered up.

“Hye Ri-ssi, you don’t have to pedal if you don’t want to. I can pedal for both of us,” D.O. said to Hye Ri as he helped her onto the back of the bike.

“Oh no, I’ll try to pedal. I don’t want you to do all the work.”

D.O. and Hye Ri went ahead and rode along the river.

“Do you know how to ride a bike, Ri Ah?” Baek Hyun asked her from behind.

“Yes Sunbae!” and she started pedaling.

“Looks like it’s just us two,” Su Ho said with a smile as he looked back at Chan Yeol.

Chan Yeol glared back at him.

“Okay, okay. I got it, just pedal,” Su Ho quickly said and turned to face the front and started pedaling.

The three “couples” rode casually on their own when Su Ho yelled to all of them, “How about a race?”

“I’m in!” Baek Hyun immediately agreed.

“Me too!” Ri Ah chimed.

“Are you up for it, Hye Ri-ssi?” D.O. asked looking back at Hye Ri.

“Sure!” she said with a smile.

“We’re game!” D.O. yelled.

“What about you, Chan Yeol?” Su Ho asked as he looked back at Chan Yeol.

“Whatever,” he answered nonchalantly.

“Okay, first one to that snack cart over there wins. Ready, set, go!” Su Ho yelled and the three “couples” were off.

D.O. and Hye Ri were in the lead but were overtaken by Baek Hyun and Ri Ah when they had to slow down to avoid hitting a dog.

“Pedal faster!” Su Ho yelled to Chan Yeol. Chan Yeol sighed and started pedaling faster.

In the end, D.O. and Hye Ri were able to regain their lead and get first, followed closely by Baek Hyun and Ri Ah.

“What was that?” Su Ho complained to Chan Yeol. “You weren’t even trying.”

“Hey, I pedaled faster when you said to!” Chan Yeol argued.

“Yeah, but we still lost,” he pouted. Chan Yeol rolled his eyes at him.

“It’s okay, Hyung. At least there’s no penalty for the losers,” Baek Hyun joked.

“I’m getting hungry,” D.O. complained.

“Oh, I almost forgot, I made kimbap. It’s in the car, can I borrow your keys Chan Yeol?”

Chan Yeol gave her the keys and she ran to the car to bring the food. The six found an empty patch of grass and sat down to enjoy Ri Ah’s kimbap.

“Mmm, this is really good,” D.O. remarked.

“Yeah, you’re a really good cook,” Su Ho complimented.

“Thank you,” Ri Ah said in embarrassment at their compliments. “So, what did you guys think of today?”

“It was fun!” all except Chan Yeol exclaimed. He sat there quietly and ate.

“Did you not have fun, Chan Yeol?” Ri Ah asked when she noticed that he didn’t answer.

“Huh?” he said looking up from his food. “Oh, yeah,” he quickly answered. Ri Ah noticed his lackluster response.

“Wow, look at that sunset!” Su Ho pointed out. They had been playing all day and it was starting to get dark.

They all ran to the edge of the river and leaned against the railing to watch the sunset. All except Chan Yeol who stayed seated and sighed to himself.

Baek Hyun noticed Chan Yeol sitting by himself with a blank expression.

“What’s got you so down?” he asked as he sat down next to him.

Chan Yeol gazed at Ri Ah smiling and laughing with everyone for a while before answering, “Nothing.”

Baek Hyun followed his gaze to Ri Ah and smiled to himself.

“It doesn’t look like nothing. How about you describe your symptoms to this future doctor and I’ll try to give you a diagnosis. Have you been sleeping less?”

Chan Yeol thought about it before answering, “Yeah, I have been having a harder time falling asleep.”

“Have you been losing your appetite?”

“Yeah,” he answered as he recalled the past few days where he seemed to be eating less.

“Is there something…or someone that’s constantly on your mind?”

Ri Ah immediately flashed in his mind. “Yes.”

“Final question, is that someone Ri Ah?”

“Yes,” he answered without thinking. “Wait, I mean no,” he quickly changed his answer in a panic when he realized what he just said.

Baek Hyun laughed at his jumpy friend. “I think I’ve figured out what your problem is.”

Chan Yeol looked at him anxiously.

“You like Ri Ah. Well, you may be in love with her at this point.”

Chan Yeol stared at his friend and then started laughing. “Yah, I thought you said you were studying to be a doctor. What kind of diagnosis is that?”

Baek Hyun shook his head at his slow friend.

“What’s so funny?” Su Ho asked as he came over.

Baek Hyun sighed. “I’m surrounded by idiots.”

“Idiots? Who?” Su Ho asked.

“This guy,” Baek Hyun answered pointing towards Chan Yeol who immediately stopped laughing.

“Hey!” Chan Yeol yelled at Baek Hyun

“And that guy,” he pointed towards D.O.

Su Ho smiled, “I can understand Chan Yeol, but why D.O.?”

“Hyung!” Chan Yeol whined.

“Let’s just say they’re idiots for the same reason.”

Su Ho tilted his head in confusion.

Baek Hyun sighed. “You don’t need to know Hyung,” he said as he walked away to join the other three watching the sunset.

“Sometimes I feel like he thinks he’s better than us,” Su Ho confided with Chan Yeol. Chan Yeol nodded his head in agreement.

Chan Yeol and Su Ho joined the rest in watching the sunset. Chan Yeol looked over at Ri Ah and thought about what Baek Hyun said. Lee Ri Ah, am I really falling for you? That would explain why I hate it when you call me a friend, why I get jealous when you’re with Tae Sung, why I feel happy when we’re together…why my heart does flips every time I see you.


Author's Note

Sorry for the late update guys. Every time Chan Yeol’s friends are involved, it takes forever to write.

So it looks like we have some new revelations, thanks to Doctor Baek Hyun, lol :)

I kind of felt bad for Chan Yeol when I wrote this chapter. The poor guy wasn't having much fun :( But don’t worry, next chapter should make him feel better ;)

Until the next update! – 7/3/12 3:02 AM00