Humoring a Sunbae

My Puppy Park Chan Yeol [DISCONTINUED]

“Ri Ah-ssi?” Tae Sung said in surprise when he saw Ri Ah putting a book away in the library.

Ri Ah turned around when she heard her name and her eyes widened when she found the owner of the voice, “Tae Sung Sunbae!”

Tae Sung grinned, “What are you doing still on campus?”

“I was finishing up my homework.”

“Shh!” a boy sitting at a table nearby said in annoyance at Ri Ah and Tae Sung. Ri Ah turned to the boy and bowed in apology.

“It was nice running into you, Sunbae,” Ri Ah whispered and bowed before turning around to leave.

Tae Sung ran after her and walked beside her. Ri Ah looked up at him in surprise but continued walking. When they were out of the library, Tae Sung turned to Ri Ah, “You’re a very diligent student to be here till 7 when it’s only the second day of class.”

“Ah, yes,” Ri Ah answered awkwardly.

“What about dinner? Have you eaten?” he asked her with a smile.

“Yes, I had dinner earlier."

“Oh,” his face fell a little. “So Ri Ah-ssi, did you do your reading for tomorrow’s class?” he continued.

“Yes."

“What do you think of it so far?”

“It’s interesting. I think the reading for this class will be enjoyable. It was like reading a novel.”

Tae Sung smiled, “I’m glad you think so. Do you have any questions about it?”

“Um, not really.”

“Is that so? Then you should be able to answer any question on the first five chapters, right?” he asked with a smirk.

“Well, maybe,” Ri Ah answered unsure of herself.

“Okay, then how about this, if you can answer all three questions I ask you about the reading correctly, I’ll grant a wish of yours, but if you get one wrong, then you’ll do something for me.”

“I don’t really want to play,” Ri Ah said uncomfortably.

“Please? Humor your sunbae,” he urged.

“But your rules aren’t fair. I have to get all three questions right to win but you win if I get just one wrong,” she complained.

“You said you didn’t have any questions about the reading when I asked. You’re not confident in your reading comprehension skills?”

Ri Ah sighed, “Okay, go ahead.”

“Great! First question is easy: where does the story take place?”

“Miryang,” Ri Ah immediately replied. [Note: Thank you Wikipedia :)]

“That was quick, are you sure?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, Ri Ah-ssi, you’re answer is….ding daeng dong! Correct!” Tae Sung said dramatically. “Next question: who was in conspiracy with Arang’s nanny?”

“Her servant, Baekga,” Ri Ah immediately answered again.

“Your answer is….ding daeng dong! Correct again! Final question, the one that determines who wins,” Tae Sung said with a mischievous smile. Ri Ah looked at him in anticipation. “On page 25, paragraph 2, line 3, what is the 4th word?”

Ri Ah’s face fell, “What kind of question is that? That’s not fair!” she pouted.

“You didn’t say anything about what kind of questions I could ask,” he smirked.

Ri Ah furrowed her eyebrows, “It’s implied that you would ask a fair question.”

“I think it’s fair. You wouldn’t argue with your Sunbae, right? So Ri Ah-ssi, what’s your answer?”

Ri Ah sighed. “The,” she answered in defeat.

“Ri Ah-ssi, your answer is….daeng! Incorrect! I guess that means I won then. Do you acknowledge it, Ri Ah-ssi?”

Ri Ah sighed. “Yes. What’s your wish….Sunbae?” she addressed him with a hint of bitterness.

“Mmm, when I think of something, I’ll collect,” he said, pretending to rub an invisible beard in thought.

“What?! You have to get your wish now or you won’t get one at all!” Ri Ah said in exasperation.

“You didn’t clarify that before we started and you can't add a rule after the fact," he said with a  smirk. "So then Ri Ah-ssi, I’ll come to collect my wish when the time comes. See you in class tomorrow!” Tae Sung waved to her as he walked away, leaving Ri Ah stunned.

Ri Ah was usually very good at keeping calm, especially in front of her elders and seniors. But for some reason, Tae Sung Sunbae aggravated her and made her childish self come out. Only one person was good at doing that.

What was the right answer anyways? She thought to herself as she walked to the bus stop.


Author's Note

A short chapter but I thought it left an impact. Who correctly guessed it was Tae Sung from the last chapter? So what do you guys think? Were you subconsciously feeling for Chan Yeol? Or do you think Tae Sung is a better match for Ri Ah? (Actually, that’s not a fair question since you guys don’t really know much about Tae Sung yet.) Or…do you think there will be some kind of plot twist and Tae Sung is actually Ri Ah’s brother from another mother? Okay, okay, I’ll stop with the crazy ideas. I promise, it really was just a crazy idea.

So, if you guys have been keeping track, only 4 days have passed and at the rate that this story is progressing, this might be a 100+ chapters story. Actually, I do have plans for it to last the four years that they’re in college…as in you might not see the happy ending you’re hoping for until they’ve been through four years of college…or more…but that means a lot of content to write. Will you all still be with me or will you get tired of it and abandon me? Or, will I abandon you guys before I finish this story? [Shudders] All this talk of abandonment is making me depressed. Why don’t we take it as it comes, hmm?

I realized that reading comments makes me feel energized and motivated to write more. Not that I’m fishing for comments. Just stating a fact :) - 6/22/12 6:04 PM00