Bribe you with dukbokki.

She'll never get a boyfriend.

Hwa Yeon hated family gatherings. These social get-togethers were fine when she was younger but now that she had grown up along with her sisters, things started to get…

GOSSIPY.

Gossip among her aunts and relatives were rampant during these family gatherings. They would talk about this girl and that girl, and her daughter and his niece. She figured they would probably find something to talk about her soon.

Which they did.

Oh, did you hear? Mi Hyun’s eldest daughter married last month to a law professor.

You mean Victoria? If he didn’t marry her, he’d be stupid. She’s beautiful and clever.

I don’t know about Mi Hyun’s youngest daughter. She’s not as beautiful as Victoria. And Hwa Yeon is too reckless and immature. No boy would want to date her.

Hwa Yeon would often excuse herself, say she was tired and leave the party.

Upset and disappointed with herself.

How come my sisters can get guys but I can’t? she thought, digging her chin into her pillow. She sighed and rolled over in bed to stare blankly at the bare ceiling. In frustration, she sat up and pulled on an oversized hoodie and comfy leggings. She was going to go out and find Ms Park to vent her family problems because Ms Park was the only person she felt like talking to.

tumblr_m38l1pYPvK1qbwdmso1_500.png

Her own mother was too busy amusing the guests and talking about how proud she was of her eldest daughter, Victoria.

Lucky Victoria. Beautiful Victoria. Lady-like Victoria. Pssh.

fxvictoria.png

She grimaced and slipped in some sneakers. She didn’t hate her sister. In fact, she looked up to all her sisters. And Victoria’s marriage was something she was happy for. But sometimes, she just felt maybe people should stop comparing her and measure her according to the achievements of someone else.

Exhaling deeply, she left home to visit the woman she called her ‘second mother’ who owned the chicken shop down the street.

“Oh, Hwa Yeon. You want something to eat?” Ms Park called loudly to the depressed girl who sat down patiently in the plastic chair in the far left corner. “Give me a second. I just need to take this order.”

“Uh, no thanks, Ms Park. I’m not hungry,” she called back.

When she had taken the order of her customer, the chicken ahjumma wiped her hands on the teacloth and smiled.

“What’s wrong, honey? Did something happen at home?” she asked as she filled a glass with cold water and placed it on the table.

“Thanks,” she smiled and lifted the glass to her lips. “Ms Park…do I need to get a boyfriend?”

The chicken ahjumma laughed and shook her head. “Of course not, love. Why would you?”

Hwa Yeon sighed wistfully and began to draw shapes in the condensation of her glass of cold water.

“It’s just that…if I don’t have a boyfriend, my relatives will say I’m not good enough.”

Ms Park pulled a chair in and smiled. “Pabo. You don’t need a boyfriend to be good enough. You’re a strong, independent young lady and you don’t need a man to be strong. Look at me. I don’t have a man but I can run my chicken shop better than anyone else.”

The ends of Hwa Yeon’s mouth curled in a small smile. “Thanks. But my aunties are so …argh. You don’t understand it. They’re so…judgemental and they like to compare me with my sisters. I’m the only one without a boyfriend. Victoria’s married, Jessica and Yoona are dating.”

Ms Park chuckled humorously. “Your sisters are indeed successful in their relationships but you, child, you’re special. Don’t think that you can’t get a man because they say you can’t. I’ve always thought you were different to your sisters and that’s why you’re my favourite.”

The young teenager looked in quiet contentment at the lady before her. She felt so grateful to have known Ms Park. Without the kind chicken ahjumma, where would she be now?

“No wonder I call the chicken shop my second home,” Hwa Yeon laughed. “Thanks for talking to me but I really should be home now. My mom will be wondering where I am.” Ms Park beamed brightly and stood up to bring her to the door.

“Send Ms Moon my best wishes. And don’t worry about the whole boyfriend issue. You just go and do your thing, okay honey?” Ms Park called as she watched the disappearing figure of the beautiful, lonely girl.

“I will!” Hwa Yeon called out and waved back.

She heaved a sigh and returned to wipe the counter and mop the floor. Not long after she heard the shop door open and the familiar sound of cursing and loud feet greet her ears.

“EOMMA! I’M HOME!” the deep voice of a young man shouted.

“Aigoo, Chanyeol, you loud idiot. Eomma missed you. How was London?” she asked as she embraced her son warmly.

“It was great. Oh man, I’m so tired. Eomma, make me food. I’m tired. And hungry,” Chanyeol groaned as he set down his bag and dragged his luggage to the corner.

tumblr_m5ctxinmeQ1qckf2oo1_500_large.png

“Aigoo,” she chuckled and pulled him down into a chair. “Before we talk about food, let’s talk about London.”

“Naww mom. Come on, food first. Then we’ll talk,” he whined playfully as he shook his mother’s arm.

“You little food critter. Hey, do you remember the youngest Moon daughter? When you were little, she always came to our shop to play,” she asked as she held his hand in hers. Even though he was nearly twenty, he was still, to her, the young and playful Chanyeol.

Chanyeol scratched the back of his head. “Oh, um,” he ran his tongue over his upper lip, “you mean, Hwa Yeon? She must be 19 this year right?”

“Correct, that Moon Hwa Yeon. Chanyeol-ah..” his mother began nervously. Suddenly she grabbed his hand and looked earnestly into his eyes.

“I’ve never asked of you anything my whole life but today, I’m asking you for a favour.”

Chanyeol laughed and patted his mother’s hand kindly. “You know I’ll do anything for my mom who’s brought me up to the person I am now.”

“Pretend to be Hwa Yeon’s boyfriend.”

“What? No, Mom! Michyeosseo?! I hardly know her,” he leapt back startled by her sudden proposal.

“Ya! You just said you’d do anything for me! Besides, she’s the closest thing to a daughter I’ll ever have. When I see her upset, my heart becomes uncomfortable. Help mom out this time, neh?”

“Mom, no. Not happening,” he called out as he grabbed his bag and stomped upstairs. “I’m going to grab my stuff.”

“Chan-ah! Come on! It’s not like you have a girlfriend, right? You used to play together as kids. And it’s not like its real, you’re only pretending,” she called after him. “If I cook dukbokki for you, will you finally agree?!”

Ms Park smirked slyly. She knew her son could not resist his mother’s dukbokki.