Assembly

Prank Wars

As Cha YoonJi stared at the ceiling, a few students covered their faces or put their heads on their desks, attempting to stifle their giggles.  The female closed her eyes and exhaled deeply, placing her backpack on her desk while the male on her right continued to look up.  The said male, with his gaze still on the object of everyone’s amusement, stated calmly, “Your chair is on the ceiling.”

“Really now, JongIn?” YoonJi asked rhetorically, glowering at her best (and only) friend.  Shifting his gaze to the shorter girl, JongIn murmured,

“I’m just saying.”

“But you didn’t have to,” the female muttered before heading to the storage closet in the back of the classroom.  From it, she pulled out an extra desk chair and dragged it back to her desk, ignoring the irate screeching of the chair legs.  After she was settled at her desk, JongIn followed suit and shook his head slightly when he heard his friend cursing under her breath.  Soon after, their homeroom teacher entered the classroom, prompting all the students to stand and greet him.  Mr. Jung set his messenger bag on his desk and looked at his class to tell them to sit, but he was struck silent when he saw a chair inexplicably attached to the ceiling.  Wordlessly, he looked at YoonJi, who was bitterly frowning, and then at a male student grinning smugly in the back corner.  With a sigh, the teacher waved his hand lazily, motioning for the class to take their seats.  When everyone was seated, Mr. Jung stood up and began his daily lecture of how they needed to improve their scores and be more motivated in everything they did.  Most of the students listened attentively, especially since the teacher liked speaking to specific students sometimes.  Mr. Jung was a nice guy—neither too strict nor too lenient, and the fact that he was rather young also allowed students to feel closer to the man.  He was a teacher who never yelled at anyone, and he was always there if a student needed to talk about something.   

“Byun BaekHyun,” Mr. Jung called, narrowing his eyes at the student who had been grinning the whole half hour.  The boy just looked back at his teacher, his smile unchanging.  The older male continued, “I expect to see improved marks from you especially.  And I would appreciate it if you didn’t glue your classmates’ chairs to the ceiling.”  BaekHyun simply kept smiling, his face practically glowing with pride.  With that, Mr. Jung concluded his lecture and homeroom as well, stepping out of the class.  The students began to chat among themselves, but YoonJi remained silent, turning slightly in her seat to glare at a certain male in the back of the classroom.  BaekHyun’s grin remained strong, and just as JongIn was about to say something, YoonJi shot up out of her chair and yelled,

“That’s it!”  The class immediately fell silent, staring at the girl in alarm.  “I’ve had enough of your childish pranks, Byun BaekHyun!”

“Childish?” the said male scoffed, putting a hand to his heart.  “They are a work of art, for your information.  You can’t imagine the time and effort that go into my profession.”  YoonJi merely looked up at the ceiling, wondering why the male even existed; regaining her composure, the girl retorted,

“Work of art?  Time and effort?  You failed the open book quiz yesterday.”  A couple students snickered, much to BaekHyun’s irritation.  “I know for sure I could pull much better pranks than you if I wanted to.”

“No, you couldn’t.”

“Yes, I could.”

“No, you couldn’t!"

“Yes, I could!”

“YoonJi, calm down…” JongIn attempted to interject, but the girl didn’t hear him.  Instead, she suddenly blurted,

“Fine, I declare a war!”

BaekHyun, now standing, raised an eyebrow in curiosity and pursed his lips.  “I’m listening,” he stated in a business-like fashion.  Ignoring the dark look JongIn was directing at her, YoonJi opened to elaborate, but she was cut off when the Math teacher, Mr. Park, stepped inside and called,

“BaekHyun, YoonJi, sit down.  Everyone, take out your textbooks and turn to page forty-six.”  Frowning, the two sat down and did as their teacher said, temporarily putting their dispute on hold.  As Mr. Park began the Calculus lesson over limits, a majority of the students furiously scribbled away in their notebooks as they tried to decipher the teacher’s messy handwriting.  BaekHyun, however, just stared at the numbers and letters scattered across the chalkboard with his mouth hanging slightly open.  At the moment, there was a quadratic equation on the board, as well as two functions to the side—or vocabulary words (BaekHyun couldn’t tell).  Vaguely, the male recalled Mr. Park’s previous words of explanation: “The value of f(3) does not exist, but the limit of f(x) as x approaches 3- and 3+ is equal to 4.  Therefore, the limit exists...”  Why was there a limit?  Why did it even exist?  All his life, BaekHyun had been taught that there were no such things as limits.  Were his parents suddenly failures at raising children?  Were all their teachings now fallacies?

Uneasily, he shifted in his seat and glanced at his desk partner, who was busy jotting down a convoluted equation.  Tapping the other’s notebook with his pencil to catch his attention, BaekHyun whispered, “Hey, ChanYeol, do you understand any of this?”  The boy in question just nodded and hummed in response as he kept his focus on the current lesson.  Sighing, BaekHyun slouched in his seat and began doodling pictures of a certain female student falling into a pool of sharks, hoping Mr. Park wouldn’t call on him to answer any questions since he at least appeared to be taking notes.  He really didn’t understand Calculus.  It felt like the teacher droned on and on for hours, but finally the class ended; as soon as Mr. Park exited the room, YoonJi stood up and immediately resumed the conversation where they left off.

“Three months! Whoever gets the most points until then wins, unless someone surrenders before the allotted time.”

“Fine with me,” BaekHyun agreed, crossing his arms.  “But if anyone on the opposing team or any innocent bystanders are harmed as a result of a team’s prank, that team must forfeit one point.”

“Fine!  In addition, bathrooms are safety zones,” YoonJi added.  JongIn rolled his eyes at the scene before him, wishing his friend would just sit down.  BaekHyun hesitated momentarily before accepting the term; he then included one more rule,

“Also, pranks can be initiated at any time, any place—even in the other team’s homes.”

Shaking his head slightly, JongIn tried to tell YoonJi not to agree to the condition, but YoonJi told him not to worry and lifted her chin, exclaiming, “I accept the terms!  When I win, you have to quit pulling pranks for the rest of your life.”  JongIn dejectedly sighed, wondering what happened to his usually-collected female friend.  The two were literally yelling across the room, and JongIn was absolutely thrilled that he was right in the middle of the negotiating students.

“When I win, I get to keep making your life miserable.  Everything will go back to the status quo,” BaekHyun haughtily declared, sitting down once he spotted the next teacher entering the room.  YoonJi did the same, gripped her pencil tightly, and faced forward, not intending to lose to BaekHyun.  She’d had enough of BaekHyun’s torture—it was time to end it.

 

----------

 

After three antagonizing (as BaekHyun saw it) hours, it was finally time for lunch.  Most of the students migrated to the cafeteria to eat with friends in other classes, but about ten students remained in Class 3-B.  BaekHyun stood up at his desk and pointed to YoonJi, shouting, “Cha YoonJi!  Since this is a war between teams, I’m telling you that ChanYeol here is going to be on my team!”  YoonJi just stared at the boy dully, having already known that the two would be together—they were basically inseparable.  They had been together for as long as anyone could remember, and despite the drastic difference in intellectual levels, BaekHyun and ChanYeol were the best of friends.

“Okay, well…JongIn’s on my team,” YoonJi stated, patting the said boy’s shoulder.  JongIn wanted nothing more than to avoid the situation altogether, but he knew it was inescapable.  Once YoonJi had a goal, her mind was set on achieving it no matter what.  BaekHyun tapped his chin and scanned the room for another teammate, since it was “teams” after all—not pairs.  After spotting a pair of students in the front of the room, he called out to one of them.

“Hey, LuHan!”  The shorter of the two in front turned in his seat, looking at BaekHyun with his bright, doe-like eyes.  A pleasant smile graced his glowing face as he awaited the mischievous student’s next words.  Motioning for the boy to come over, BaekHyun explained, “We’re having a prank war.  You’re on my team.”

“Oh, sounds like fun!” LuHan mused, standing up and skipping over to the two.  The boy who had been sitting beside him watched as he departed, pouting forlornly.  However, melancholy as he was, the dejected boy didn’t say anything for fear of (somehow) hurting BaekHyun’s feelings.  Once LuHan was at his side, BaekHyun smirked and crossed his arms smugly, declaring,

“Be warned, Cha YoonJi, we are the F4!”

YoonJi stared at the boy blankly and remained silent for a few moments, giving him some time to realize his mistake.  When it became apparent that BaekHyun didn’t acknowledge his lack of arithmetic skills, YoonJi bluntly stated, “There are only three people in your group.”  The boy’s smirk immediately disappeared as he looked at his team and realized that—in fact—there were only three people.  Frantically, he searched the classroom and grinned when his eyes landed on a lone student by the window.  The said boy was pretty popular and a foreign exchange student from China.  He also knew martial arts, which BaekHyun figured could come in handy in the war.

“Huang ZiTao, you’re on my team!”

“Okay,” Tao (as he preferred people to address him) consented, standing up and taking his lunch with him as he made his way over to the group.  With a smirk back on his face, BaekHyun cleared his throat, laughed overdramatically, and exclaimed,

“Ha! We are the F4!”  YoonJi just rolled her eyes, wondering how she let a guy as dumb as BaekHyun ruin the past four years of her life.  “What's your team going to be called?” the boy asked, to which YoonJi shrugged awkwardly.

“I don’t know. Team Two?” she suggested, not really caring what the team’s name would be.  BaekHyun frowned at the girl’s lack of originality, but he was struck with a sudden revelation.

“Hang on, you there are only two people on your team.  You need two more.”

“Why can’t it just be me and JongIn?” YoonJi didn’t want to have to deal with anyone else.  She knew she didn’t get along with others—it was a miracle that JongIn even wanted to befriend the girl.  The first time they met, which was in their first year of high school, YoonJi thought he was an alien planning to murder her and inspect her cadaver to discover the weaknesses of the human race.  Thankfully, that wasn’t the case.   But that was a story for another time.

“No, the teams have to be even.  It’s only fair.  After all, you’ll need all the help you can get,” BaekHyun taunted, making YoonJi want to slap the smirk off of his face.  Looking around the vicinity, the boy mumbled, “Hm… You need a tall person.”  Before YoonJi could point out that JongIn was 183 centimeters tall, BaekHyun found a vertically-gifted student and called, “Oh SeHun!”

The boy who LuHan had previously abandoned snapped out of his daze and blinked, pointing to himself.  BaekHyun nodded his head towards his rival and said, “You’re on their team.  Go.”  Wordlessly, the tall boy shuffled to the pair with his head hanging low; it was quite obvious that he was distraught over having to be separated from his doe-eyed friend.  Sidling over next to YoonJi, the boy quietly introduced himself,

“Hello, I’m Oh TheHun.”  YoonJi wanted to point out that everyone already knew his name, but she was too busy realizing that the boy had a lisp.  It wasn’t exactly hilarious, but she just found it very unfortunate that he couldn’t even pronounce his own name properly.

“Now you need one more person…” BaekHyun sorted through the remaining students in the classroom and smirked when he found the perfect candidate.  “Do KyungSoo, go join their team.”

“Who?” YoonJi flatly inquired, having never heard of the student before.

“Good afternoon,” a hollow voice whispered in her ear, sending chills down the girl’s spine.  Immediately, she turned around and found herself looking at a male student of average height.  His eyes were large, almost rivaling LuHan’s, but instead of feeling the angelic shimmer that was in LuHan’s eyes, YoonJi felt like this boy was staring into her soul and judging her entire being.  To be honest, she had never seen this “Do KyungSoo” in her life; his face wasn’t even remotely recognizable.  Recovering from the initial shock so that she could communicate again, YoonJi nervously asked,

“H-How long have you been in this class?”

“YoonJi-sshi, we’ve been in the same class since the second year of middle school,” the supposed stranger answered.

“Are you sure..?” YoonJi dubiously asked.

“Yes, YoonJi-sshi,” KyungSoo politely replied, his voice still airy.  “I have pictures, if you’d like to see.”

“N-No, that’s okay!” the girl quickly yelled, then turned to face BaekHyun.  “Well, the teams are even.  Are you satisfied?”

“You still don’t have a team name,” BaekHyun stated.  He pondered for a short moment, scrutinizing each member of the rival team.  Soon after, the boy grinned, exclaiming, “I know!  You guys can be The Misfits!”

YoonJi glared at the boy, clearly not pleased with the suggestion.  In spite of his best friend’s irritation, JongIn blatantly commented, “It’s quite appropriate.”

“JongIn.  Shut up.”

“Well, it’s true,” JongIn mumbled under his breath, looking at the ceiling when YoonJi turned her fiery gaze towards him.  YoonJi simply sighed and resignedly turned to her rival.

“Fine, we’re The Misfits.  Are we finished?”  BaekHyun nodded satisfactorily; YoonJi was glad all these trivialities were over.  With all of that said and done, the students returned to their lunches.  KyungSoo had long since returned to his corner without anyone noticing, while Tao remained with the F4.  LuHan tried to go back to SeHun, but BaekHyun held him back, declaring that fraternizing with the enemy was strictly prohibited.  So—much to his dismay—SeHun ate lunch with YoonJi and JongIn, but he felt incredibly, inconsolably lonely.  YoonJi would have asked the depressed boy to leave, but JongIn gave her a knowing look and she knew to leave SeHun alone.  Sighing, the girl ate her lunch in silence, glaring at BaekHyun every now and then.

The war had begun.

 

 


So it's finally here!  This took forever to write, haha.  ಥ⌣ಥ  My hands hurts so much right now.  Over 2,000 words... We all know the sweety pie BaekHyun of EXO, but one day I wondered, "What if he wasn't so sweet?"  Thus, this story was born.  Sort of.  And I know BaekHyun seems like a bully, but he's supposed to be one of those characters who you can't help but pity because he's so stupid not as smart as we'd like him to be.  I understand if you don't like him though... ㅠ__ㅠ  Oh, and JongIn is very serious and dull here.  ㅋㅋㅋ  And oh, Calculus...  Limits aren't that hard for me, but I just felt like including some here.  Haha.  HORRIBLE MEMORIES.

I hope I gave you all a good glimpse of each character here.  I spent countless nights trying to figure out what personalities I could give them, haha.  Oh, wait.  I didn't say much about Tao.  OTL  Well, he's a difficult character.  I'll build him more later.  Ack, same with ChanYeol. And JongIn.  ヽ(#`Д´)ノ  Pranks will be coming soon~  ^^

OMG YOU GAIZ.  I've never gotten so many subscribers from just the foreword!  Granted, I've met a couple of you already from my last fic, but I'm still so happy.  You guys...  YOU MAKE CRY~ CRY!  Ahem.  I mean...  Delicious, delectable cookies go to:

Kpop_anime_girl
kayyEa
lilypad99
kiari-sama
aliceinoz
sandrakaytm
iarebreezy
kyuhyun-eonnie
Teehee17
smilingsin
keep-the-faith
bananatofucheesecake
exopanda
RockStarPocky
Panda_LURVS_KPOP

Wow, that was a lot!  But I'm not complaining!  I love you all so much.  ヽ(;▽;)ノ  To those of you who I've met before, it's great to see you again.  To those I'm meeting for the first time, welcome!  My home is your home~  ^^  I love each and every one of you, and I'm grateful for all your support.  Those of you who were with me during Little Quirks, I've said it before, and I'll say it again...  I CAN'T EXPRAIN WHAT I FEEEEUUL.

I will reply to comments in the comment box, so please look out for them~  I love you all.  ♥